Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

9 minutes ago, Wildest1 said:

I just chatted with Joe from Garmin Support, asking how to access the free E6 golf courses.

Garmin Joe replied:  

I believe you will receive those 6 free courses when you register the device with Garmin.  

1. In the Garmin Golf™ app, select Golf Sim > TruGolf E6 Connect > Play on iOS.

2. Follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope that helps. Give it a try if you're ready to register the R10, and let us know what happens.

(Yes, he typed in "6 free courses".)  

Cheers for this info....just need to decide if I'm going to keep the Mevo+ or the R10 once I have my hitting area setup

Thanks for describing your experience. Sounds great.

I'm still waiting for my July 7th pre-order here in the States thru Playbetter.com with a 60 day free return policy. I even bought my brother's old iPad Pro to use with the R10.

Do you have an iPhone or iPad to try out the free E6 courses thru the Garmin Golf app?

Edited by Wildest1

3 hours ago, IJud said:

Hi all, I’m in the UK and my R10 was delivered on Thursday 5th August, so earlier than expected! I’m regular user of Trackman so I’m familiar with my numbers (I play off a 4.5 handicap) and after 3 sessions with the R10 since delivery I can give you all some feedback:

The app and R10 work together perfectly.

Finding the target line after set up is ok but takes a few adjustments, I’ve only ever used a Trackman indoors once set up so I don’t know if it is the same.

Driving Range - great to see the shot tracer immediately after hitting (about a second), I would say it is accurate 99/100, I’ve had the odd shape that didn’t reflect ball flight in real life but rarely.

Club data - path/face/AoA etc - look accurate. Odd shot has no club data but that’s normal for any launch monitor - it’s rare though.

Ball data - comparable to Trackman - I think it calculates spin but looks to be in the right range.

Session date - after the session you can review the data from every shot.

Home Tee Hero - what can I say, I played the first few holes of Augusta and my home course, brilliant!!

Any questions please reply, it’s early days as I said I’ve only had 3 sessions but honestly the R10 is as advertised and for the price it is a steal in my opinion 👍🏼

Can you provide some screenshots or data for us?

3 hours ago, IJud said:

Hi all, I’m in the UK and my R10 was delivered on Thursday 5th August, so earlier than expected! I’m regular user of Trackman so I’m familiar with my numbers (I play off a 4.5 handicap) and after 3 sessions with the R10 since delivery I can give you all some feedback:

Finding the target line after set up is ok but takes a few adjustments, I’ve only ever used a Trackman indoors once set up so I don’t know if it is the same.

Driving Range - great to see the shot tracer immediately after hitting (about a second), I would say it is accurate 99/100, I’ve had the odd shape that didn’t reflect ball flight in real life but rarely.

Club data - path/face/AoA etc - look accurate. Odd shot has no club data but that’s normal for any launch monitor - it’s rare though.

Ball data - comparable to Trackman - I think it calculates spin but looks to be in the right range.

Home Tee Hero - what can I say, I played the first few holes of Augusta and my home course, brilliant!!

Any questions please reply, it’s early days as I said I’ve only had 3 sessions but honestly the R10 is as advertised and for the price it is a steal in my opinion 👍🏼

Thanks .. I placed another pre order last night (nothing like a 6th COVID lockdown .. Melbourne Aus .. to prompt some retail therapy) as I figured there was still plenty of time to cancel again if early reviews were unspectacular. Were you using the R10 indoors or with indoor parameters in terms of distances ie. unit to ball to net? I’m very excited that you found club path and AOA to be comparable to what you are used to on Trackman .. those measurements seemed to be the ones subject to highest (and most inconsistent) claimed tolerances on the earlier info..

Edited by Sandhurst241069
Correction

3 hours ago, IJud said:

This is great news!  Are you using it indoors? If so, how much total space do you have?  Thanks!

• Like 3

On 8/7/2021 at 5:44 PM, willbones said:

Be interested to see how this thing works indoors.....  and how much space you 'actually need' to get decent data.

on the Golf Box Australia website it says 

Garmin R10 Setup:

• Place the Garmin R10 on the ground between 1.8 m and 2.4 m behind the tee location.
    NOTE: If you are using a golf mat, make sure the bottom edge of the R10 sits above the mat.
  • Adjust the R10 so the red alignment line is aligned with the tee location and the target of the shot.
    NOTE: The ball and club angles are measured parallel to the target line.
  • INDOORS: The tee location must be at least 2.4 m away from the net.

I sent an email to GSPro over the weekend about linking up with the Garmin Approach R10 and just received a response back from them saying that GSPro did reach out to Garmin but they have not heard back.  

I think it would be worthwhile if we, as purchasers and prospective purchasers of the R10 would contact Garmin and suggest an open link to make GSPro available.  Perhaps if enough of us do it, it might tip the scales a little in favor of Garmin looking into it.

I received the notification this morning from rain or shine below. I was their 4th order so I would expect to get it in a week or so. 

We anticipate receiving our first shipment from Garmin directly on Monday, August 9th from where we will begin fulfilling orders in the order of which they were received. Based off the latest information we have received, our new fulfillment lead time is 6-10 weeks from the date of your order.

46 minutes ago, jlevatino1122 said:

I received the notification this morning from rain or shine below. I was their 4th order so I would expect to get it in a week or so. 

We anticipate receiving our first shipment from Garmin directly on Monday, August 9th from where we will begin fulfilling orders in the order of which they were received. Based off the latest information we have received, our new fulfillment lead time is 6-10 weeks from the date of your order.

Yep, got the same one. I'm patient with a 7/7 order date. I'd rather be at that spot in their queue, than last in someone else's...

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

Still no reviews from the big dogs on Youtube that I can see - I would have thought that this being in the hands of punters would have spurned this videos on?

Does a personal LM just not move that needle for them? Are we a small nice within the golfing community that anticipate these products? It is slightly... unsettling that there is a lack of reviews.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stevie989 said:

Still no reviews from the big dogs on Youtube that I can see - I would have thought that this being in the hands of punters would have spurned this videos on?

Does a personal LM just not move that needle for them? Are we a small nice within the golfing community that anticipate these products? It is slightly... unsettling that there is a lack of reviews.

Was wondering the same thing…

56 minutes ago, Stevie989 said:

I think that's exactly what's going on. Did Rick Shiels ever do a review of the Mevo Plus? I only recall seeing reviews of it on smaller channels or simulator focused channels. The recent SC300i release was almost completely ignored by reviewers.

2 hours ago, Stevie989 said:

They are all sponsored by Foresight and don't want to say anything positive about a competitors product.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigbruce said:

Just got my shipping notification from Carl’s golfland. Hopefully I have it on the 11th!

Edit- I’m an idiot that should of checked the tracking number better. Looks like they just made the shipping label. I’ll update if it ships.

When did you place your order with Carls?  July 19th here but no update yet

Txg tried with the mevo I’m sure. Maybe the skytrak too?

sheils said he had a review either filmed or in the works. I’d have assumed he’d have been part of the marketing roll out.  

A lot of the guys are helped out by either foresight, TrackMan or sometimes flightscope. 

I think the small channels do videos on these things as it’s a gap left by the bigger fish. Sometimes the bigger channels can gloss over/bypass certain products as they seem to think they are beneath or irrelevant to them. 

On 7/29/2021 at 2:43 PM, Sandhurst241069 said:

Well I decided a few days ago to cancel my pre-order. Last straw for me was this page that provided very different information around accuracy of certain readings vs the link earlier in the thread… https://golfstead.com/garmin-approach-r10-launch-monitor-review

Combined with a conspicuous lack of positive noise from Rick Sheils et al .. the old Spidey senses told me to wait on this one…

I don't know what you can really take from that review, the guy did say:

"Just how accurate is the R10? After extensive testing, I can definitively say that the accuracy is within range of the $2000 “next-level” launch monitors like the SkyTrak and Mevo+, particularly outdoors where the radar technology can really shine.

For practical purposes, when it comes to distance, you can assume that the R10 would be off by a few yards at worst. Indoors, however, I find that distance readings can be off by quite a bit."

Honestly, if they wanted to do a proper review they would have provided data from the "next-level" systems and the r10 head to head.  The vibe I get from that review is that they don't even have the unit in hand and are just using known info to be the first to have "review" out there.  

Edited by wedgegame

Paradym 10.5 w/Graphite Design ADHD 5S

Paradym 3WHL w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Paradym 7W w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Ping 425 4H w/Tensei Orange 80HYS at 23°

Yonex Ezone CB 301 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Mizuno Copper T22 50S, 54D, 58X w/ Project X LZ 6.0

LAB Golf B.2

On 8/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, Bigbruce said:

Guys in England are starting to post YouTube videos up. Still don’t see a video with anyone comparing it to other launch monitors. Wonder if the UK got it first or they are just shipping before a certain release date.

Unless I am missing something the two swings he shows data for have a club head speed of 68 mph and 78 mph respectively.  That a huge gap in what looked like similar swings, but both showed the same spin rate.  I would image the spin rate would change pretty dramatically with a .1 difference in smash factor, though I could be wrong.

Paradym 10.5 w/Graphite Design ADHD 5S

Paradym 3WHL w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Paradym 7W w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Ping 425 4H w/Tensei Orange 80HYS at 23°

Yonex Ezone CB 301 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Mizuno Copper T22 50S, 54D, 58X w/ Project X LZ 6.0

LAB Golf B.2

1 hour ago, Bigbruce said:

I ordered on July 7th. I got the shipping confirmation email as well as the ups email so hopefully tomorrow it will show some progress. With the lack of reviews I may make a YouTube channel just to show it off.

Looks like I won’t get mine till later this month, so do post something on YouTube.  

3 hours ago, psu517 said:

Isn’t Rick Shiels a Garmin ambassador?

Things are different now that Garmin has a launch monitor. Foresight has no issue with GPS watches and whatever else Garmin offered before.

I'm sure there is some fine print in his contract with Foresight that prevents him from reviewing other launch monitors. He never does and is a complete shill for GCQ.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ukfan323 said:

I think it's important to consider skill range and what people are looking for before judging something like this. I have one preordered, I'm an upper teens handicap who lives in North Midwest USA with looong winters. The idea of being able to set up a $600 device in my garage to have some fun with my friends and practice in the long winter months is AMAZING. The home tee hero and free e6 pack in and of itself looks like a lot of fun for a golfer like me. I dont care if my driver is off by 10-15 yards indoor or if my wedge is 110 instead of 105 and doesn't have the spin. 

Of course if you are a scratch golfer who knows your clubs within a couple yards and can shape your shots, tour spin a wedge, etc, this device might seem like a waste of money. But for a golfer like myself this let's me do something I thought would otherwise be so far out of budget. Now I can have a decently reliable garage sim for winter months with access to all those courses on a simulator. I can't wait!!!

I agree entirely and I’m off 4. 

• Like 1