Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

18 hours ago, Sandhurst241069 said:

Simply because those numbers were initially provided by a third party (though are now being more widely published which is comforting) while Golfstead reported accuracy of +\- 4 degrees on club path for example. And there were a couple of reports of lesser performance indoors including by the LetsPlayThru hype guy. I’ve got a pre order in … but it’s not unreasonable to want doubts removed .. things can work inside the grey areas too..

Further to this, I do note that measured clubhead path and angle of attack accuracy.. initially documented as +/- 2and 1 respectively by playbetter.com, but later documented as +/- 4 and 3 respectively by golfstead.com, is not part of the metrics now documented formally by Garmin .. these are the little grey areas that do make a difference .. particularly if, like me, you already own a SC300 and are hanging on the R10 for a step up in terms of a usable shot render and auxiliary numbers.. 

C85406DB-3C10-4826-BB6C-554951D31E1A.png

1 hour ago, Sandhurst241069 said:

Further to this, I do note that measured clubhead path and angle of attack accuracy.. initially documented as +/- 2and 1 respectively by playbetter.com, but later documented as +/- 4 and 3 respectively by golfstead.com, is not part of the metrics now documented formally by Garmin .. these are the little grey areas that do make a difference .. particularly if, like me, you already own a SC300 and are hanging on the R10 for a step up in terms of a usable shot render and auxiliary numbers..

If the numbers on Garmin's site are accurate it's already a huge step up over the SC300. I've seen mine be off by 14 degrees on launch angle with wedges compared to an aboutGolf simulator.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, whumber said:

If the numbers on Garmin's site are accurate it's already a huge step up over the SC300. I've seen mine be off by 14 degrees on launch angle with wedges compared to an aboutGolf simulator.

Agree with that .. fwiw I find my launch angle numbers decent enough on the SC300 vs the simulators I pay by the hour for … backspin numbers aren’t close though so the SC300’s reliance on input club loft and AOA assumptions predictably very hit and miss. I’m excited by the R10 for sure .. it will shake up the market .. so for me it just comes down to the value proposition of upgrading to what it offers now vs what might be available in 12 mths etc.. would be nice to have something a little more concrete / transparent around those clubhead measurements .. or implicit validation by some comparative / in depth reviews..

38 minutes ago, Bigbruce said:

EE820903-6E9C-42E4-A87C-90B225BB689A.jpeg.4ee4c18e907229112e2f5591bf4066f2.jpegI live on a golf course and took it out for a few shots. Looks to be accurate by my eye, but there was one shot it didn’t pick up the club path. Definitely need more time to mess with it.

BigBruce you are officially our man on the ground now 😁 I’d expect the odd non read .. it’s consistent with the category .. but very interested in how consistent your path and AOA reading is (our path with a particular club doesn’t tend to move around much) and the general accuracy of numbers / shot render vs what you are seeing. Huge thanks for posting!

Anyone have insight into how Home Tee Hero actually generates all those courses? Crunching Google maps and satellite images to auto generate the 3d render? I'm really impressed they have the shear number of courses already available. Even if the grass color, tree size, etc are different, it seems like the hole layouts and length are pretty spot on. 

7 minutes ago, Ukfan323 said:

Anyone have insight into how Home Tee Hero actually generates all those courses? Crunching Google maps and satellite images to auto generate the 3d render? I'm really impressed they have the shear number of courses already available. Even if the grass color, tree size, etc are different, it seems like the hole layouts and length are pretty spot on. 

Garmin sells lots of golf GPS equipment. So those all need to have information about the 42k golf courses that they have available. My watch has all 42k built in, and they get updated every few months. The distances are quite accurate but the trees and other obstacles are fairly crude.  Since all the GPS golf watches from other brands have this information I figured that Garmin and other brands were buying this information from 3rd parties the way that car GPS units tend to purchase their information. But I don't know who creates the map info for golf courses or how the 3d version in Home Tee Hero was created since using the Garmin app with their other devices does not give those 3d views.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sandhurst241069 said:

BigBruce you are officially our man on the ground now 😁 I’d expect the odd non read .. it’s consistent with the category .. but very interested in how consistent your path and AOA reading is (our path with a particular club doesn’t tend to move around much) and the general accuracy of numbers / shot render vs what you are seeing. Huge thanks for posting!

The rendering looked just like the shot. I set up at the 150 yard mark and made some easy 7 iron swings. Hope I can get to the range with it tomorrow. I just hit 10 balls today.

C9E3D6E8-B332-4A44-8944-194974404320.png

54460CFD-ABB2-4AA8-8470-8505A6F84631.png

Edited by Bigbruce
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bigbruce said:

The rendering looked just like the shot. I set up at the 150 yard mark and made some easy 7 iron swings. Hope I can get to the range with it tomorrow. I just hit 10 balls today.

Awesome thanks .. hmmm I will say that’s a big difference in measured club path and angle of attack for two 7 irons that launched with a very similar starting direction and trajectory .. also would expect spin on shot 1 to have been calculated higher by the algorithm given appreciably higher (theoretical) spin loft .. maybe that’s a result of the calculated face to path though.. makes me a little anxious but look forward to seeing how you go at the range with more balls. Thanks heaps this is invaluable!  👍🏻

Edited by Sandhurst241069

On 8/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, North Butte said:

If you're talking about the R10 it's not going to be measuring enough of the flight to be affected much by any normal headwind. And it is calculating (estimating), not measuring, things like descent angle. Up to a certain point that's what Trackman does but not these sub-$1,000 units.

You may not be aware that everything it measures is within the first few yards after the ball leaves the club. The exact distance is probably a trade secret but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 5, 10, 15 yards. Everything that it reports about the flight after that is calculated from those close-range measurements. 

A lot of people seem to be dreaming that this is a Trackman for $600 except it might have some minor accuracy errors. This is not in that same class of radar launch monitors, it may turn out to be a $600 MEVO+ which would be a great accomplishment. But it's still a short-range, entry-level radar sensor with some very fancy calculations.

Do you think its accurate enough to give you an idea of dispersion?  Or is the +- to great to have any value?  

It’s surprising that there are no reviews from the likes of Rick or Pete. I imagine that whoever is first will get a ton of views.

DRIVER: Taylormade SIM 2 6* - Project X S Black XS; 3W: Titleist TSi2 14*; IRONS: Mizuno Pro 225 GW-4i ProjectX 6.5, Mizuno MP-20 HMB 2i; WEDGES (52,56,60): Mizuno T20; PUTTER: Mizuno M-Craft VI 35"

6 hours ago, Bigbruce said:

Do you think you really get 8,000-9,000rpm of spin with a 150-160 yard 7-iron shot? That seems insanely high.

35 minutes ago, Murdock said:

Is this specifically for a region?  Like USA? Europe seems to have gotten them 

For Europe - UK specifically. A lot of shops have updated delivery eta for Sep 20th onwards as well so looks to be true.

I am losing faith rapidly in this product.

Edited by ironcat

I'm okay with waiting. I don't really need a LM until mid-fall anyway. 

And honestly, that simulator-Mario-Golf mode doesn't look overly interesting, especially if the holes don't really match reality. I don't know what I was expecting - maybe something a little less video game-ish 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

8 hours ago, Sandhurst241069 said:

Awesome thanks .. hmmm I will say that’s a big difference in measured club path and angle of attack for two 7 irons that launched with a very similar starting direction and trajectory .. also would expect spin on shot 1 to have been calculated higher by the algorithm given appreciably higher (theoretical) spin loft .. maybe that’s a result of the calculated face to path though.. makes me a little anxious but look forward to seeing how you go at the range with more balls. Thanks heaps this is invaluable!  👍🏻

So I do spin the ball a lot, I have $ taper 130s to help cut it down. I put my dispersion up to show I was trying to hit different shots. I usually play I draw, but wanted to see how accurate the shot shape was for all shots. I also flighted a fade low and the spin number dropped. If anyone in western Washington has a different launch monitor, I would meet up with them.

9D60F78B-3CE3-4222-A367-5671C8FFC2F8.png

11BA8EF3-7569-4F96-BF03-83B9D5EDF16C.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bigbruce said:

So I do spin the ball a lot, I have $ taper 130s to help cut it down. I put my dispersion up to show I was trying to hit different shots. I usually play I draw, but wanted to see how accurate the shot shape was for all shots. I also flighted a fade low and the spin number dropped. If anyone in western Washington has a different launch monitor, I would meet up with them.

9D60F78B-3CE3-4222-A367-5671C8FFC2F8.png

11BA8EF3-7569-4F96-BF03-83B9D5EDF16C.png

This looks really promising.

Please try to compare it to Skytrak, Mevo+, and the big boys GCQ and Trackman.

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

This looks really promising.

Please try to compare it to Skytrak, Mevo+, and the big boys GCQ and Trackman.

This is why the big YouTube guys failed us. This will be a first launch monitor for most like myself. So I can tell you it looks good, but without other launch monitors it’s just a guess. I also don’t have a net, because I live on a golf course and have a membership that gives me unlimited range balls. I hope others will start getting theirs soon, so we can all compare performance in different settings.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bigbruce said:

This is why the big YouTube guys failed us. This will be a first launch monitor for most like myself. So I can tell you it looks good, but without other launch monitors it’s just a guess. I also don’t have a net, because I live on a golf course and have a membership that gives me unlimited range balls. I hope others will start getting theirs soon, so we can all compare performance in different settings.

I think there has to be some reason the "Big YouTube Guys" haven't posted comparisons. Either they could not get their hands on the R10 or there were problems with the R10 that they didn't want to post about.

Those guys typically get early-adopter access to 'most any golf product so my money's on there being issues they're waiting for Garmin to address before posting any comparison videos. 

• Like 1