Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

22 minutes ago, Spazzen said:

Garmin's website is mostly a lie.

They were advertising 7-10 business days to ship last week in Australia despite customer support telling me my order from day one of pre orders wouldn't be filled for a month.

yeah more and more thinking i should bite the bullet and get a rapsodo from golfbox that will come in 2 days....

On 8/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, Mazq said:

Hi,

Has anyone received their unit from “HotGolf” in the UK. Still waiting for mine, ordered early July. They keep saying they should be here soon. But they can’t give any ETA. 

FYI, Mine's arriving today from Hot Golf. No email from them only from DPD.

Hope you get yours too...

Just received mine from Hotgolf from the original tracking details they sent me on 10th July.

downloaded the apps, and ready to go to the range. Been there 4 times this week with my Mevo so I’ll know straight away how accurate the CHS, BS launch and carry are, as for the AoA etc I’ve only got reference to some TM data I had over a year ago

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re*Ax said:

Just received mine from Hotgolf from the original tracking details they sent me on 10th July.

downloaded the apps, and ready to go to the range. Been there 4 times this week with my Mevo so I’ll know straight away how accurate the CHS, BS launch and carry are, as for the AoA etc I’ve only got reference to some TM data I had over a year ago

also just updated firmware. It said v2.2 available, and once that updated/installed it then shows it’s v3.40 - don’t think I’ve seen that version mentioned by anyone? Wonder what the update improves?

just off to the range, see y’all in a bit….

8 hours ago, jeg208 said:

Listen.  Everyone here is trying to not be that guy, but your "normal" distances don't make any sense. 

You said you are 6'4".  I am 6'4".  You said you hit your GW 130, your 9 iron 150, and your 200 yard go to club is a hybrid.  I can swing fast enough to be in the top 1% of golfers, and it takes 100% effort, near perfect strike, and ideal launch angle for me to carry a 45* PW 135.  My normal carry is 105 GW, 120 PW, 135 9 iron, and 215 carry with a 19* hybrid.

I'm not saying you don't hit your short irons that far, but what hybrid do you have that you can hit a 41* 9 iron 150 yards, but that hybrid only carries 200?

My irons are an inch longer . So my 9i is the length of a regular 7i. Loft is 40. My GW is 50 deg and is the length of a 9i.  As I am sure most are aware, club length has the biggest impact on carry…. I don’t kill my hybrid as it tends to leak right if I do. It’s an older Mizuno with a HL MS shaft. Driver carries 250 FYI

7 hours ago, whumber said:

Agreed that 130 carry for a GW is a fairly big number depending on the loft of the GW in question, I'm pretty skeptical that 110 carry on a gap wedge is top 1% (I assume that's what you meant) though. I'm playing off a high single digit handicap and my 50 deg specialty GW carries in the 116-120 range measured by multiple launch monitors and backed up by Arccos GPS data. I'm really not trying to turn this into any kind of...measuring contest but I think that distance for a GW is just more common than you're implying unless I completely misunderstood what you wrote which is certainly possible.

My irons are an inch longer…

Edited by cometravi

1 hour ago, cometravi said:

My irons are an inch longer . So my 9i is the length of a regular 7i. Loft is 40. My GW is 50 deg and is the length of a 9i.  As I am sure most are aware, club length has the biggest impact on carry…. I don’t kill my hybrid as it tends to leak right if I do. It’s an older Mizuno with a HL MS shaft. Driver carries 250 FYI

Length isn't the biggest impact on carry. Compared to what? Swingweight has to be kept reasonable otherwise you're just swinging something longer slower. 

Even if you consider the butt end of the club to be the centre of rotation (it isn't, Jorgensen in the Physics of Golf book, and Dave Tutelman, would put it at least 4 inches higher), and if you kept the same swingweight, an extra inch on 37 inches is only giving you a less than 3% CHS speed increase, for short distances lets assume a linear relationship so maybe just about 4 yards maximum from 126 to 130.

A 9i at 7i length gets you nowhere near a 7 iron carry, which you seem to be saying. More like a third of a club maximum (9 iron turned into an 8 2/3 club if you like) at the same swingweight.

13 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Length isn't the biggest impact on carry. Compared to what? Swingweight has to be kept reasonable otherwise you're just swinging something longer slower. 

Even if you consider the butt end of the club to be the centre of rotation (it isn't, Jorgensen in the Physics of Golf book, and Dave Tutelman, would put it at least 4 inches higher), and if you kept the same swingweight, an extra inch on 37 inches is only giving you a less than 3% CHS speed increase, for short distances lets assume a linear relationship so maybe just about 4 yards maximum from 126 to 130.

A 9i at 7i length gets you nowhere near a 7 iron carry, which you seem to be saying. More like a third of a club maximum (9 iron turned into an 8 2/3 club if you like) at the same swingweight.

Guys I have measured carry distance with laser rangefinders both on the driving range and on the course. Been playing these irons for 2 years now so I know the distance. Not saying 9i will carry 7i but it will be longer than a std length 9i for sure.  I did read that Every 1/2” gives a couple of mph in club head speed. 

Bottom line , my set up is under reporting distances and that’s what I am really trying to troubleshoot . Maybe it’s sent over to different swing types and launch profiles? Moving outdoors made it a little better.

there is a thread on the garmin forums dedicated to this issue and I have spoken to the garmin tech support folks. They have created a top priority ticket due to the volume of complaints reported in this one issue. The tech support guy mentioned that it is a known issue that longer clubs are under reporting due to low launch. 

$600 PLm’s will be sensitive to set up  etc and if we can troubleshoot it it will really help. 

Edited by cometravi

1 hour ago, cometravi said:

My irons are an inch longer…

My irons are 1/2" over standard.  Your ball speeds don't match the carry distances you claim, your hybrid and driver distances don't match the short iron distances you claim, and you are filling this thread with misinformation.

The unit is radar based, not IR, and incredibly accurate under 200 yards for $600.  There is a possible problem with longer irons and up.

Edited by jeg208

36 minutes ago, cometravi said:

Guys I have measured carry distance with laser rangefinders both on the driving range and on the course. Been playing these irons for 2 years now so I know the distance. Not saying 9i will carry 7i but it will be longer than a std length 9i for sure.  I did read that Every 1/2” gives a couple of mph in club head speed. 

Bottom line , my set up is under reporting distances and that’s what I am really trying to troubleshoot . Maybe it’s sent over to different swing types and launch profiles? Moving outdoors made it a little better.

there is a thread on the garmin forums dedicated to this issue and I have spoken to the garmin tech support folks. They have created a top priority ticket due to the volume of complaints reported in this one issue. The tech support guy mentioned that it is a known issue that longer clubs are under reporting due to low launch. 

$600 PLm’s will be sensitive to set up  etc and if we can troubleshoot it it will really help. 

I've given you the numbers that the laws of physics dictates, if you want to have a look at flight calculations the flightscope optimiser is decent:

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

I've just plugged in the numbers I gave you earlier (1 inch extra on the club etc using pga / lpga speed progressions) and for a 126 yard shot you will get.... 2.7 more yards. (I gave you my estimate of absolute maximum 4 yards).

As I said, a 9 iron with an extra inch at the same swing weight is still way closer to a 9 iron than an 8 iron, and nowhere near a 7 iron. And unless the iron heads have been drilled out they will be a higher swing weight and you won't even be getting 2.7 yards extra.

Edited by hammersia
  • Like 1

Ok, snap reaction.

for reference I’m a 1.6, short hitter comparative to the guys of similar standard I play with. At the range I’m usually very consistent shot to shot.

First few shots at a range showed accurate ball flights/shapes.

Distances with LW, 9, 6 and Driver all were around what I got on my Mevo, initially the LW and 9 were going further than recent sessions on Mevo, but I have felt that Mevo’s algorithms had changed recently for shorter irons and were too low, so seems accurate.

All CHS lower than I get on Mevo, I didn’t get one above 100 with driver, where I currently average 102 on my Mevo. 

Balls speeds nearer to what I get on Mevo, but still a little low, but overall gave “better” smash numbers, I average only 1.43 on Mevo currently.

Then I checked out the “trackman” style stats…… AoA seemed reasonable (apart from a +9.2 with a 6 iron) but saw a few huge errors on path. I usually hit a gentle draw with my irons, this showed me twice in a row being 17* out to in with a 9 iron. 

For reference my one session on TM two years ago had be 10*up and 13* in/out with driver and 1*up and 6 in/out with a 6 iron.

I’ve spent two years trying to be more neutral but probably only get to about 1* in/out at best and less up.

Deviation to target seemed very good.

Probably had 6-8 shots out of 100 that displayed the opposite flight to what I actually had. 

played the first three holes of my home club, seemed a decent approximation of the course, although I’d argue I’d have holed the putt the system gave me a two putt for 😉 

Here’s a couple of screenshots (for what they are worth), note the drive flight was close to what I hit, it was out of the neck which made it curve right rather than stay straight/draw per my normal flight 

24319C57-60B1-4497-BF1D-D9BA55236603.png

85C32D69-96A1-42CA-A9E2-C0D92A715FA3.png

76F9716C-0FD5-4348-9FA6-DC916725FC72.png

E90F05C6-0C69-4D24-AA5A-45FC79FD694D.png

924FCAAE-386D-4CFA-B47A-3EE6FAD2A284.png

1D7528A7-72FE-48FD-AB95-025B38DA2B4D.png

Edited by Re*Ax
Spelling
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeg208 said:

Good thing you opened that face so far as to not mess with your dispersion :D.  I would submit that one to Garmin, they might want to look at that.  Somehow they got the landing point right, but how it got there was all wrong.  Your shots are very consistent and would be good data.

Definitely, because surely that's an algorithm issue rather than necessarily a measurement problem, as a club path of 18.2 left and club face 4.6 right would require gazillions of side spin to get to target, not 270 rpm as shown.

59 minutes ago, Jungpro said:

Now GolfSpy has their first review of the R10 on their website. Not allowed to post the link…

I just read it.  They pretty much summed up my thoughts on what I have seen reported thus far.  Could be a great device for those who aren't looking for super reliable numbers who want to play some simulated golf.  Not an ideal device for someone looking for accuracy.  They even mention that the spin readings are so far off that they basically disregard them. 

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

9 minutes ago, radiman said:

I just read it.  They pretty much summed up my thoughts on what I have seen reported thus far.  Could be a great device for those who aren't looking for super reliable numbers who want to play some simulated golf.  Not an ideal device for someone looking for accuracy.  They even mention that the spin readings are so far off that they basically disregard them. 

TBF, I've been a tiny bit disappointed with a few MGS reviews, particularly on launch monitors, they seem more enthusiastic on Rapsodo than the market tends to be, and their testing doesn't ever seem to mention how much ball flight they have when using a net. Obvious issues with this new review would include using the phrase "spin measurement" when it isn't being measured, and not saying which firmware version they are using?

Edited by hammersia

4 minutes ago, hammersia said:

TBF, I've been a tiny bit disappointed with a few MGS reviews, particularly on launch monitors, they seem more enthusiastic on Rapsodo than the market tends to be, and their testing doesn't ever seem to mention how much ball flight they have when using a net. Obvious issues with this new review would include using the phrase "spin measurement" when it isn't being measured, and not saying which firmware version they are using?

I can only assume they are using the recommended setup.  But you are right they didn't say.  Doesn't take away from the fact that there have been some pretty egregious errors in path and ball flight mentioned by them and users in this thread.  Now, my hope is that those things can be addressed and fine tuned via firmware.  The device is still on my radar.  Just going to wait to see if they can improve the accuracy. 

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

25 minutes ago, FrancoT said:

Can somebody please tell me if you can connect the R10 to an iPad and if so will it be in ‘portrait’ or ‘landscape’. I haven’t seen any displays on an iPad only iPhones and these are in portrait. Thanks

Unfortunately, the Garmin Golf app stays in Portriat mode which is really a joke so you have to stand the ipad up in portrait mode when using. HOWEVER, the e6 ipad app works in Landscape mode so I am using that exclusively connected to a Large monitor on the wall for easy viewing of the stats or course from the hitting mat. 

I’m confused.

If you hit the ball left and the R10 says right, even some of the time, in its current state how is this useful for either practice or sim? Throw in MGS saying spin and other metrics are basically unusable, which others have corroborated, all the alignment challenges, FOV etc how can folks trust the device?

I’m genuinely curious and not trying to bash the product, but I’m clearly missing a beat. 

I tied a piece of string to the center of my net.  I pull it tight, and align the r10 to it.  I don't look at every single shot shape as I can feel it anyways, but for me it has been pretty accurate for shot shape.  I think people who were expecting accurate spin and club data for $600 should get their head checked out.

EDIT:  Perhaps that is a little harsh, but I really don't understand what people were expecting.  This was never going to be a $600 GC2.  Check out the stats that they list accuracy for here https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/695391#specs.  The only one that they are failing to deliver on IMO is club speed and maybe an issue with launch angle with longer irons+.  Everything else is just features to push it past the SC300i, Mevo, and Rhapsodo.  Perfect?  No way.  Will some of these stats get better?  Probably.  Will you ever be able to adjust your angle of attack or club face 2* here or there?  No way.

Edited by jeg208
  • Like 2