Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

1 hour ago, RCGA said:

Has anyone hit like, x50 7 irons and compared the results to the QC Quad? 

I don't care about the random outliers where the R10 is glitching. If I hit 50 shots, and 5 are reporting to be way short, 5 are way long, but 40 are within spec, that's pretty good and easy enough to narrow in and have a useful practice session. 

I hit a bunch of 7 irons with the unit against a GC Hawk indoors and it was very good. Launch direction, angle, ball speed were all pretty much within the promised specifications. I couldn't get club data but spin was somewhat close and with my 7 iron the correct side spin was picked up every time. Distance was within 3-4 yards. Driver was a bit more off and I did have the incorrect side spin a lot more. Ball speed, launch angle and direction were all still good so it's capturing the launch conditions properly and it's just down to getting better spin algorithms for driver I think.

1 hour ago, dpvu said:

I hit a bunch of 7 irons with the unit against a GC Hawk indoors and it was very good. Launch direction, angle, ball speed were all pretty much within the promised specifications. I couldn't get club data but spin was somewhat close and with my 7 iron the correct side spin was picked up every time. Distance was within 3-4 yards. Driver was a bit more off and I did have the incorrect side spin a lot more. Ball speed, launch angle and direction were all still good so it's capturing the launch conditions properly and it's just down to getting better spin algorithms for driver I think.

If you have any interest in testing again and could get club data, it would be really interesting to see if those driver shots where the sidespin is significantly off correlate with off-center strikes.

1 hour ago, Spells said:

Could you include some specifics on what sort of items were moved out of the way, and how far? I've used mine outside, where it works well, but I'm wondering about what sort of items need to be moved and how far out of the path. A pic of your setup would be awesome.

I'll try to take a picture of the setup later and post.  I had some things that were around my net (have a dome type net) like a lawnmower, kids bikes, etc.  I moved everything off the floor that was near the net to where it was out of sight of the R10.  I also had some garden tools handing on peg board behind the net so I took an old dark colored sheet and covered all of that up.  I'm not an expert on this, so I am not sure if this stuff makes a difference but I saw someone else post that they cleared out the area and saw some improvement as well.  Not sure exaclty how the radar works but it makes sense in my mind that clutter around could impact it's ability to project the ball?

I played on it some more this morning and I again found that the alignment is absolutely critical, at least in my case.  Would love to have some type of laser system like others have posted about.  Once I had that, my irons were right on the distance where they should be and the ball flight was mainly what I expected.  If it felt like a pulled one, it showed left and vice versa.  

What I found strangest today was the driver.  I typically drive ~250 yards or so on average.  Not a big bomber like some here, but I generally end up in that range with a good strike.   After playing around with the alignment this morning (and of course moving out all of the stuff and covering up everything else) I was getting more in the range of 220 when on Garmin's driving range. Obviously nowhere near where it should be, but I also think Garmin is going to have to work on hitting driver indoors.  Decided to play a quick 18 on E6 and most of my drives were in the 240 range.  Have absolutely no idea if using E6 makes any difference, but the ball flight and distances on all clubs seems to be better.  

I was seriously ready to pack this thing up and sell it a few nights ago, but now I am pretty happy with it as it and am very hopeful some updates are coming.  I do think the tediousness of lining it up is a pain, but once it's locked in it seems to read very well (driver aside on the range).  

Edited by DKMascher
changed carry to drive

4 hours ago, DKMascher said:

I'll try to take a picture of the setup later and post.  I had some things that were around my net (have a dome type net) like a lawnmower, kids bikes, etc.  I moved everything off the floor that was near the net to where it was out of sight of the R10.  I also had some garden tools handing on peg board behind the net so I took an old dark colored sheet and covered all of that up.  I'm not an expert on this, so I am not sure if this stuff makes a difference but I saw someone else post that they cleared out the area and saw some improvement as well.  Not sure exaclty how the radar works but it makes sense in my mind that clutter around could impact it's ability to project the ball?

I played on it some more this morning and I again found that the alignment is absolutely critical, at least in my case.  Would love to have some type of laser system like others have posted about.  Once I had that, my irons were right on the distance where they should be and the ball flight was mainly what I expected.  If it felt like a pulled one, it showed left and vice versa.  

What I found strangest today was the driver.  I typically drive ~250 yards or so on average.  Not a big bomber like some here, but I generally end up in that range with a good strike.   After playing around with the alignment this morning (and of course moving out all of the stuff and covering up everything else) I was getting more in the range of 220 when on Garmin's driving range. Obviously nowhere near where it should be, but I also think Garmin is going to have to work on hitting driver indoors.  Decided to play a quick 18 on E6 and most of my drives were in the 240 range.  Have absolutely no idea if using E6 makes any difference, but the ball flight and distances on all clubs seems to be better.  

I was seriously ready to pack this thing up and sell it a few nights ago, but now I am pretty happy with it as it and am very hopeful some updates are coming.  I do think the tediousness of lining it up is a pain, but once it's locked in it seems to read very well (driver aside on the range).  

I think the best thing you can do is the partial wedge shots with a line on your net then adjust the r10 until it matches what you see the shot doing. Should be most fail proof and fairly easy to do.

• Like 2

Very helpful video by Etches.  I like that he showed all of the following: HTH (including playing the first hole at Augusta), how it adds slope to the distance of your next shot, how it takes distance off your shot if you're in the rough, the home screen set up, how easy it is to record your swing, what it does once you hit the green, etc.  These are all things that I have wondered about.    

The review was also fair.  It praised the R10 but also made clear that you have to have realistic expectations -- it's not a GC Quad.  He also showed how some of his shots appeared to go farther left than the obviously would have on the range.  He didn't hide that.  Would've been helpful if he had messed around a bit with the alignment to see if that resolved the problem.  All in all, a helpful and honest review.    

6 hours ago, DKMascher said:

Decided to play a quick 18 on E6 and most of my drives were in the 240 range.  Have absolutely no idea if using E6 makes any difference, but the ball flight and distances on all clubs seems to be better.  

Some people have said that they have better success with the side spin issue using e6 compared to the Garmin app. I was skeptical of that until I tried something just today. What's interesting is if you start the driving range in Garmin then start e6 you can actually get data for both if you take a shot with e6 open then immediately switch back to Garmin. If you don't switch fast enough it will be missing some data from Garmin for some reason. When I've done this the numbers have been close but not quite exact so the Garmin must be sending e6 the raw launch conditions and then e6 is doing the distance/flight/trajectory in its own algorithm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ironcat said:

Has anyone returned theirs? I'm feeling like the numbers are iffy, and even if based on alignment, with no way to be 100% sure it just casts doubt into everything.

I returned it today - I already have a Skytrak that works well indoors, and was hoping for something quick and easy to set up at the range that gave somewhat reliable measurements (including some idea of club data). After trying it out indoors and out I decided to recycle the $600 towards the next big hope in launch monitors. Combined with the $100 deposit I claimed back on the full swing kit I’m up to $700 towards the bushnell/foresight collaboration…

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, RDLK said:

I just received mine - of course just when I was ready to try it thunderstorm hit so no chance to test it. However when I connected it through Garmin Express on my W10 PC it had already a new software available 3.40! Downloaded and updated. Will test tomorrow.

Can anyone with 3.4 share what the patch notes are?

Ok, so I’ve still only had one session with mine which says a lot, as if it was more reliable I’d have used it every day at the range. FWIW here’s some of the thoughts that have been rattling around in my head, ranging from petty to fundamental issues

1. I’m getting annoyed at the “you’re expecting Trackman like performance from a £500\$600 unit” The R10 seems ok at BS, CHS and launch angle, but my Mevo is too and that’s cheaper. I don’t expect TM like accuracy on the AoA and Path, but neither do a expect the numbers to be created by a random number generator. I don’t expect it to go from -4 AoA to +9.2 in consecutive, similar 9 irons swings, and I’m not sure why I, and others are criticised for saying so. 

2. I don’t like the actual voice used to read out numbers (don’t mind be criticised for that take) 

3. I don’t like the fact that it reads out a full sentence, e.g it says “Carry Distance is two hundred and thirty eight yards”

just say “carry two three eight”

4. To review the numbers from a range session you either get a small list of carry, and total distance, missing CHS and launch details, or to actually get the launch conditions you then have to press into each shot, which then takes you to the shot display which you then have to swipe across to view CHS launch etc. It’s just too clunky to do any decent analysis

5. you can’t download data to do your own analysis in excel or similar.

6. I currently don’t see the point of it over my Mevo 

7. That being said, I like the tripod and much prefer this to the wire kickstand of the Mevo.

8. the people who watched me hit shots on the range testing HTH seemed to enjoy it and thought it was roughly accurate to what they could see my ball do, which was cool 

9. Until they then saw that the unit gave me 10,800 spin with a 6 iron…..

I’ll give it another go this week and will manually upload my data into excel, I’ll then remove any outliers and see what the data gives me to help me decide how quickly I should sell it on to someone who may enjoy it more 

Edited by Re*Ax

Gotta say this whole R10 thing is an exercise in first world anxiety.. lol

For starters, my unit was originally due this week (in Aus) but has been delayed due to Garmin supply issues with no firm ETA yet available. In the meantime I’m watching the most eclectic assortment of reviews and early feedback possible.. with very little coming out of Garmin to hang off.. I don’t know whether I’m going to be the guy who loves the features and finds the numbers and rendering decent enough .. or the guy who gets 95 yard 9 irons and counter ballflights!! I do know I’ve spent a bit of money on setting up a low end sim in my garage - including projector and impact screen - in anticipation of / preparation for the R10 .. and that my SC300 is giving me good numbers in that setup (so presumably my space is Doppler friendly). Its killing me .. thing is I’m mentally all in on having the sim now (Melbourne lockdown syndrome) so if the R10 is a bust I will definitely be saving for a Skytrack even though it would not have been a consideration initially..

Rant over!! 😂

Edited by Sandhurst241069
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sandhurst241069 said:

For starters, my unit was originally due this week (in Aus) but has been delayed due to Garmin supply issues with no firm ETA yet available. In the meantime I’m watching the most eclectic assortment of reviews and early feedback possible.. with very little coming out of Garmin to hang off.. I don’t know whether I’m going to be the guy who loves the features and finds the numbers and rendering decent enough .. or the guy who gets 95 yard 9 irons and counter ballflights!! I do know I’ve spent a bit of money on setting up a low end sim in my garage - including projector and impact screen - in anticipation of / preparation for the R10 .. and that my SC300 is giving me good numbers in that setup (so presumably my space is Doppler friendly). Its killing me .. thing is I’m mentally all in on having the sim now (Melbourne lockdown syndrome) so if the R10 is a bust I will definitely be saving for a Skytrack even though it would not have been a consideration initially..

Rant over!! 😂

I know what you mean mate, this lockdown is pretty difficult. I think if it scratches your itch to "play" a course, then it could be worth it. I do hope you get what you are looking for from the unit. I decided against it, as I dont think it will suit my needs. I had the pleasure of play your namesake course just prior to the lockdown, was great fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandhurst241069 said:

Rant over!! 😂

I'm secretly hoping that my distances are way off too, but I think the reality is that I've been lasering rolled out 4 irons to 210+, downhill par 3 7 irons stick at 180+, marking GPS distances off of tee boxes, etc only to discover those aren't my real carry distances :D.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RainingBogeys said:

Here's my #1 question for the R10.

When it's fully functional and dialed,

will it consistently show carry distance within 5 yard circle under 200 yds?

I don't need perfect spin for $600.

Just reasonable numbers that make sense 

Not with significant side spin...

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade MG2 50, [email protected], 60, Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

15 hours ago, Ukfan323 said:

Fwiw I had originally pre-ordered a month ago from a different company, keeps getting pushed back. Today I checked Dicks and they said it was available online so I put another order in and just got a tracking number for arrival at the end of the week.

They might still have some 

I grabbed one last night after reading your post. They had 9 left at that point and now all are gone. Thanks for that. How do you like yours?