2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

I got the launch date email this morning for the Bushnell Launch Pro and it's about what I expected for cost ($2,999) but I see to get a good portion of the important stats you need to pay for the Gold level which is $800 a year. That's outside my budget so I'm going to stick with the Approach R10 that I purchased 2 days ago.

Like others, I'm having trouble with distances. My 8 iron at the range goes 150-160yds. With the R10 in my garage my 8 iron is going 100-120yds. I'm obviously doing something wrong. I set up E6 Connect and even with elevation set to 10,000 feet my ball is only going 100-120yds. None of my hits are getting any height.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

Here is my setup:

- updated to version 3.6

- ball is 10ft from net

- R10 from ball distances I've tried are 10ft, 8ft, 7ft, 6ft

- R10 is aligned using a laser and level

- R10 is 1-3 inches above the mat

I don't have sheets surrounding the hitting area. It's in an open area with yard tools on the wall and garbage cans off to the side 10 feet from the unit. My 8ft tall mirror is 10 ft off to the side (used for hitting drills). Could this be a reason for the unit not measuring distances very accurately? I haven't been able to take the unit outside because of the rain but I bought this to use in the winter in the garage.

I can share some pictures of the area if that helps. I can send them tonight if my above description isn't clear.

Thank you for any guidance!!

33 minutes ago, Rambo50 said:

I got the launch date email this morning for the Bushnell Launch Pro and it's about what I expected for cost ($2,999) but I see to get a good portion of the important stats you need to pay for the Gold level which is $800 a year. That's outside my budget so I'm going to stick with the Approach R10 that I purchased 2 days ago.

Like others, I'm having trouble with distances. My 8 iron at the range goes 150-160yds. With the R10 in my garage my 8 iron is going 100-120yds. I'm obviously doing something wrong. I set up E6 Connect and even with elevation set to 10,000 feet my ball is only going 100-120yds. None of my hits are getting any height.

Here is my setup:

- updated to version 3.6

- ball is 10ft from net

I don't have sheets surrounding the hitting area. It's in an open area with yard tools on the wall and garbage cans off to the side 10 feet from the unit. My 8ft tall mirror is 10 ft off to the side (used for hitting drills). Could this be a reason for the unit not measuring distances very accurately? I haven't been able to take the unit outside because of the rain but I bought this to use in the winter in the garage.

I can share some pictures of the area if that helps. I can send them tonight if my above description isn't clear.

How about the ball speed given a solid swing?

2 hours ago, Rambo50 said:

Here is my setup:

- updated to version 3.6

- ball is 10ft from net

Where did you buy an r10 2 days ago that you are playing with it now?

1 minute ago, Rambo50 said:

I'll have to look again tonight and report back.

A few possibilities I could think of: indoor swing issue since most ppl subconsciously swing slower indoors unless you have plenty room; these units would misestimate if your swing speed is very high (near pro level), especially indoors;

2 hours ago, Rambo50 said:

I would move the R10 to 5.75 feet from the ball and do your best to match the level of what the base sits on to the hitting mat.

Maximize distance to the net.

Consider inside swing syndrome. I was losing about a club on carry, a little more on rollout, making my distances look pretty short. I went to Dicks, and against the Trackman I learned they were consistent up to Driver or so and I was wrong. For a lot of people, this is their first experience hitting in a confined space and they may be taking some speed off.

3 hours ago, Spells said:

I would move the R10 to 5.75 feet from the ball and do your best to match the level of what the base sits on to the hitting mat.

Maximize distance to the net.

Consider inside swing syndrome. I was losing about a club on carry, a little more on rollout, making my distances look pretty short. I went to Dicks, and against the Trackman I learned they were consistent up to Driver or so and I was wrong. For a lot of people, this is their first experience hitting in a confined space and they may be taking some speed off.

I'm positive this isn't an inside swing syndrome. I cranked on a couple and couldn't get my 8 iron over 125 yds. I'm going to check the swing speed and report back. I'll also try the distances you recommended.

3 hours ago, RH2020 said:

A few possibilities I could think of: indoor swing issue since most ppl subconsciously swing slower indoors unless you have plenty room; these units would misestimate if your swing speed is very high (near pro level), especially indoors;

I'm positive it isn't indoor swing syndrome. I'll report my swing speed tonight. I'm also going to see if I can pull my net and mat outside to remove any variables....and then try the range tomorrow. I have to be doing something wrong. 

59 minutes ago, Rambo50 said:

it isn't indoor swing syndrome. I'll report my swing speed tonight. I'm also going to see if I can pull my net and mat outside to remove any variables....and then try the range tomorrow. I have to be doing something wrong. 

Check the ball speed. Radar units don't lie about ball speed, even the cheaper ones like R10 are within a decimal point of expensive LMs like Trackman. If your ball speed is identical at the range and in the garage, yet you get two different carries, then yeah something is up and I'd contact Garmin. If your ball speed is significantly slower in the garage than at the range, then it's indoor swing syndrome, no matter how much you think you're cranking on it. 

28 minutes ago, Simpsonia said:

Check the ball speed. Radar units don't lie about ball speed, even the cheaper ones like R10 are within a decimal point of expensive LMs like Trackman. If your ball speed is identical at the range and in the garage, yet you get two different carries, then yeah something is up and I'd contact Garmin. If your ball speed is significantly slower in the garage than at the range, then it's indoor swing syndrome, no matter how much you think you're cranking on it. 

Will do! I am preparing to be humbled.

On 9/28/2021 at 12:00 PM, RH2020 said:

Back in stock at dicks

simply google dicks and r1, good luck

Thanks! I randomly searched the website today after reading your post (even though your post was two days ago) and dicks had three in stock.  By the time I finished refreshing they had only one left! 

Keep checking the website as it looks like they are trickling in. 

21 minutes ago, hxn12 said:

Thanks! I randomly searched the website today after reading your post (even though your post was two days ago) and dicks had three in stock.  By the time I finished refreshing they had only one left! 

Keep checking the website as it looks like they are trickling in. 

Congrats! I received mine from Dick’s in days, and it really exceeded my expectation so far

11 hours ago, RH2020 said:

How about the ball speed given a solid swing?

Ball speed with a premium ball is 75, 76, 81 mph. Total distance is 97, 101, 111. All with an 8 iron, unit set 5.75 feet behind ball and the ball is 12 feet from the net. The unit is balanced and aligned appropriately. I'm going to try it at the range tomorrow and see if I get more accurate readings. I really wanted this to work in my garage.

5 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

4 hours ago, Rambo50 said:

Will do! I am preparing to be humbled.

It's still giving me inaccurate numbers. I posted this in a reply to another person but these are the stats tonight: Ball speed with a premium ball is 75, 76, 81 mph. Total distance is 97, 101, 111. All with an 8 iron, unit set 5.75 feet behind ball and the ball is 12 feet from the net. 

I really must be doing something wrong. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Rambo50 said:

I'm positive this isn't an inside swing syndrome. I cranked on a couple and couldn't get my 8 iron over 125 yds. I'm going to check the swing speed and report back. I'll also try the distances you recommended.

Some folks are definitely seeing short distances, but they tend to be reaaaal short. Garmin support forum is sort of filled with mid/high handicappers who don't use launch monitors but are nonetheless certain they couldn't possibly have typical amateur carry distances, so it's worth at least considering the possibility.

I went form, "Hey, this is way short compared to the course, I hit range balls farther," To taking it to a Trackman and GC2 at Dick's and saying, "Uh... sorry Garmin." Even in a net outdoors, I am not hitting it as hard as I do on an open range or on the course.

YMMV, of course, I just figured it was worth considering, because typically the indoor swing syndrome resolves itself in time, and the simulator Youtube posse seems to finding favorable comparisons to Trackman and Uneekor up to around 215 yard shots, when distance starts dropping off.

4 hours ago, Rambo50 said:

It's still giving me inaccurate numbers. I posted this in a reply to another person but these are the stats tonight: Ball speed with a premium ball is 75, 76, 81 mph. Total distance is 97, 101, 111. All with an 8 iron, unit set 5.75 feet behind ball and the ball is 12 feet from the net. 

I really must be doing something wrong. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow.

That definitely sounds like the unit is only picking up on the clubhead speed, not the ball speed. As you say, compare it with some outdoor range figures. 

Ignore the guy telling you it's indoor swing syndrome, in your case that's nonsense. 

Bonjour à tous,

Premier essai aujourd'hui de mon R 10 avec IPAD. Impossible de me connecter sans partage de connexion. Peut on utiliser l'IPAD simplement en bluetooth avec Garmin Golf ? Avec E6 ?Premier essai aujourd'hui de mon R 10 avec IPAD.  Impossible de me connecter sans partage de connexion.  Peut on utiliser l'IPAD simplement en bluetooth avec Garmin Golf ?  Avec E6 ?

8 hours ago, hammersia said:

That definitely sounds like the unit is only picking up on the clubhead speed, not the ball speed. As you say, compare it with some outdoor range figures. 

Ignore the guy telling you it's indoor swing syndrome, in your case that's nonsense. 

One thing I gathered from most of the reviews is that the ball speed is almost always spot on…

41 minutes ago, RH2020 said:

One thing I gathered from most of the reviews is that the ball speed is almost always spot on…

It is. There's only two possibilities left since ball speed was shown to be much higher outdoors at the range. Either it is indoor swing syndrome, or the user has a large amount of radar interference from a number of sources ie a metal garage door, a fan, flourescent lighting. 

10 hours ago, hammersia said:

1 hour ago, Simpsonia said:

It is. There's only two possibilities left since ball speed was shown to be much higher outdoors at the range. Either it is indoor swing syndrome, or the user has a large amount of radar interference from a number of sources ie a metal garage door, a fan, flourescent lighting. 

On 9/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, RH2020 said:

I went to the range today and I confirmed there is something about my garage that is messing with the numbers. 

At the range with an 8 iron off of a mat w/ a range ball: 106 ball speed, 73 club speed, 155 total distance.....accurate considering range ball.

At the range with a driver with a range ball: 151 ball speed, 96 club speed, 282 total.....accurate considering range ball.

All my swings with 8 iron were close to the numbers listed above, the Driver was between 250 and 290 total but from what I hear any distances above 230 are seeing some inaccuracies which is normal I guess.

I attached some screenshots of an 8 iron at the range (first screenshot), Driver at the range (second screenshot) and an 8 iron in the garage (3rd screenshot).

I'm going to trial some things in the garage to see if I can get my numbers more accurate and report back.

I'm very happy to see accurate numbers at the range. Next session I want to look at the accuracy of path, face...etc at the range to see if I can really use it to dial in my swing before rounds and during practice sessions.

8 iron at range.png

Driver at range.png

8 iron in garage.png

Edited by Rambo50

On 10/1/2021 at 1:21 PM, Rambo50 said:

I went to the range today and I confirmed there is something about my garage that is messing with the numbers. 

At the range with an 8 iron off of a mat w/ a range ball: 106 ball speed, 73 club speed, 155 total distance.....accurate considering range ball.

At the range with a driver with a range ball: 151 ball speed, 96 club speed, 282 total.....accurate considering range ball.

All my swings with 8 iron were close to the numbers listed above, the Driver was between 250 and 290 total but from what I hear any distances above 230 are seeing some inaccuracies which is normal I guess.

I attached some screenshots of an 8 iron at the range (first screenshot), Driver at the range (second screenshot) and an 8 iron in the garage (3rd screenshot).

I'm going to trial some things in the garage to see if I can get my numbers more accurate and report back.

I'm very happy to see accurate numbers at the range. Next session I want to look at the accuracy of path, face...etc at the range to see if I can really use it to dial in my swing before rounds and during practice sessions.

8 iron at range.png

Driver at range.png

8 iron in garage.png

If you can get your hands on a PRGR or something to compare actually in your garage to, that might be best. It could be set up or interference but as others have pointed out, ball speed on this unit is really good even indoors. I had driver carries of 220 when I started and I'm up to 260-270 now as I've built confidence swinging indoors. There are others experiencing interference or other issues but the subconscious can be really powerful even when you're trying to really give it.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:25 PM, dpvu said:

If you can get your hands on a PRGR or something to compare actually in your garage to, that might be best. It could be set up or interference but as others have pointed out, ball speed on this unit is really good even indoors. I had driver carries of 220 when I started and I'm up to 260-270 now as I've built confidence swinging indoors. There are others experiencing interference or other issues but the subconscious can be really powerful even when you're trying to really give it.

I hear you DPVU. However, this is definitely not an indoor swing confidence/subconscious problem. 

This week I'm testing:

1) covering up the backdrop of the net with a sheet 2) putting down turf between the R10 and the net

I'll report my findings for anyone else having issues.

Any word from Garmin support on A) the hardware flaw in the first shipments and what the change is in the replacement units? B) firmware update target dates beyond 3.6?

Edited by Rambo50

15 minutes ago, Rambo50 said:

I hear you DPVU. However, this is definitely not an indoor swing confidence/subconscious problem. 

This week I'm testing:

1) covering up the backdrop of the net with a sheet 2) putting down turf between the R10 and the net

I'll report my findings for anyone else having issues.

Any word from Garmin support on A) the hardware flaw in the first shipments and what the change is in the replacement units? B) firmware update target dates beyond 3.6?

Try taking a photo of your indoor setup from the POV of the R10 and posting it here. We might be able to see what possible sources of radar interference you could have if there is any there.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:15 AM, rlefig said:

I have not yet maybe will try on saturday

On 9/29/2021 at 2:55 AM, Steve_N said:

Do you use E6 on the Ipad? if so, what model do you have and what's the experience like (graphics, choppy/smooth)?

I too would love to know about people's experience with E6 and iPad and what gen they are using etc. Also are they trying to hook it up to a projector.

I'm android so would have to buy one and if I can get away with a cheaper used older gen then I'd do it if I knew it could run E6 at an acceptable clip.

BTW I only just got my r10 and have only hit 50 balls so take this with a pinch of salt, but it looks promising so far espec for short and mid irons. gap 9i and 7i looked good for carry on all variety of shots - flushed vs solid hits vs mishits. Also direction/shape looked right for nearly all shots. The only mishits I felt were coming up wrong/short were a couple of thin/bladed 9i shots that definitely would've gone my usual carry and then some.

I'm not so sure about long irons as my few 4i  shots were short by a good margin but I also put terrible strikes on the ball. My one 3wood which was right out the middle looked short by a good 20+m. But not enough time to hit more so it's really not indicative yet.

Also in terms of setup I didn't do much  literally just put it on a mat so it was the same height, measured off the distances so it was about 7ft to the ball, and about 9ft  ball flight to the net. used the tape measure as a guide for alignment but after that just eyeballed it. I set my spornia net inside my garage Infront of the garage door so I left it up as I thought the metal might interfere. Seems to work fine fingers crossed

9 minutes ago, tezzlacoil said:

I too would love to know about people's experience with E6 and iPad and what gen they are using etc. Also are they trying to hook it up to a projector.

I haven't used E6 on an ipad with the R10 yet, but I have used E6 with another product called Tittle.  I used a regular ipad. Not this latest generation that just came out but the one before that.  I believe with 32gb of memory (whatever the cheapest version was). I had it connected via airplay to my apple tv, displaying on a 52" tv.  Everything ran smoothly with no hiccups or anything.  That being said, I only ever used the included course and did not download or try any additional courses. I intend to get an ipad mini for the R10 so I can throw it in my golf bag. Hope that helps.

9 hours ago, jagmanjoe said:

FWIW, some of us on FB are trying to get a way to tie the Approach R10 with GSPro as an alternative option.  Could prove to be a nice option, particularly for those that don't care to use iOS based iPhone or iPad for sim play.

If you are interested check out the FB posts for the R10 and for the SGT Golf Sim group.

Yeah that looks really good...no forced IOS, and great pricing on gspro. How do we push it with Garmin? I joined the groups