2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Is a Ping 425 SFT really a "slice killer"

Shanker84

This is an equipment only question so please no mentions of fitting or lessons. I get their merit but that's not what I'm looking for here. 

I'm currently playing a Cobra Speedzone Extreme on the draw setting and I still deal with a big fade/slice more often than I would like. I'm not losing balls and gaining penalties very often but I'm losing a lot of distance and would like to straighten it out. 

I've read conflicting things on the Ping 425SFT, some call it a slice killer and others say it's nothing more than any other draw biased drivers out there. Any thoughts on how much slice-aiding ability the Ping has over my current Cobra? 

TIA 

I hit it during my fitting. I also struggle with the right sided miss. Same boat, not necessarily hitting it OB often but losing significant distance. The SFT for me wasn't a cure and ended up hitting the Sim2 Max better. It's all about what club you deliver to the ball most consistently/squarely; some would argue this has more to do with shaft than head. 

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

It arguably is the driver closest to actually being one, but fixing your swing fault would do more. The route I took was to get an adjustable driver with above average right side protect so that I can change to neutral as I got better.

Though the standard G425 Max fits that bill, the Callaway Epic Max is doing for me this year.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

I'm more in the boat of it definitely could help, I was playing a Taylormade r1s, set up as anti slice as I could 10.5° upright, face set to max closed and I stilI had a fade/slice. It performed okay to pretty well for me but had a 2 way miss and I wasn't as confident in it as I would like. I got myself a Taylormade SIM MAX D this year and it's a joy to use. I can still slice it, but it takes a terrible swing to do it. Still don't know for certain if it will fade or draw, but it's usually just a baby one so not a problem.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I would say yes it is.  I went this route and have been really happy and hitting many more fairways.  I loved the driver so much I ended up getting both the 3W and 5W in the SFT models as well.  That said, the stock settings had way to much over correction for me. I went from worrying about the right side of the course to the left side - lol.  So, I ended up turning down the loft a 1.5* from 10.5 to 9* which opens the face. I also removed the stock weight and replaced it with a 6g lighter weight (23g to 17g) and then had 7g of hotmelt added to it in a neutral spot to get the headweight back up.  Man-o-man has this been a really good driving year for me since getting the G425 SFT.  With the 3W and 5W, I simply turned the loft down a 1.5* to open up the face and they have been really good for me both off the deck and off the tee.  I never have to worry about the right side of the course anymore.  I wish I had gone this route sooner.  

• Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

4 minutes ago, JAM01 said:

For me it was. 23 gram weight in the heel definitely calmed my tendency to hit a fade. I might be wrong, but among the various draw type drivers, the SFT had the most correction. 

That said, sorting out swing path etc is worth it. 

100% correct.  I really did try many of them and the G425 had the most correction.  

PXG 0317 X

17 minutes ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

I would say yes it is.  I went this route and have been really happy and hitting many more fairways.  I loved the driver so much I ended up getting both the 3W and 5W in the SFT models as well.  That said, the stock settings had way to much over correction for me. I went from worrying about the right side of the course to the left side - lol.  So, I ended up turning down the loft a 1.5* from 10.5 to 9* which opens the face. I also removed the stock weight and replaced it with a 6g lighter weight (23g to 17g) and then had 7g of hotmelt added to it in a neutral spot to get the headweight back up.  Man-o-man has this been a really good driving year for me since getting the G425 SFT.  With the 3W and 5W, I simply turned the loft down a 1.5* to open up the face and they have been really good for me both off the deck and off the tee.  I never have to worry about the right side of the course anymore.  I wish I had gone this route sooner.  

Sons makes an excellent point. If the SFT over corrects, the Ping adapter at a lower loft opens the face OR can flatten the lie to move ball flight back right if needed. In other words, no need to bail on it. The SFT fairways are also the real deal. 

Disclaimer: I haven't hit the G425 SFT.  But I used the G30 SFT for four years, and am now well into my 4th year with the G400 SFT.

I don't know that there is one answer to the OP's question.  In both cases, I was carefully fitted to the SFT, rather than any of the other versions.  I used the G30 SFT in the big plus setting, and have used the G400 SFT in the neutral position.  In that regard, the two drivers, at least for me, were VERY different; the big plus setting in the G400 SFT was just a hook machine.

A couple of notes from my personal experience with the SFT's:

1. I have always played a draw, and at times in the past really battled a hook, which made the fitting results interesting to say the least.

2. These two drivers, along with K15 that I was using before the G30, are the first drivers with which I've ever been able to hit anything like a controlled fade.  WHY that is is anybody's guess.

3. I miss to the right off the tee more often than I miss to the left; this is from stats, not just an impression.  But again, WHY that is is hard to pin down.  It's possible that after a zillion years of fighting a hook, my "anti-hook" mechanisms are much more refined, and it also could be that more hole dependent than that; my current home course has a LOT more holes that favor a shot down the right side, with the left miss being much more penal. 

I know you don't want this to be a fitting discussion, and I won't do that.  But I think that any answer to your question is going to be highly individual; your swing, your course, etc.  I have NOT found the SFT's to be especially draw "biased", and again, I battle a hook from time to time, or at least used to.

In short, I don't think anybody can answer this question for somebody else.  The answer will be in actually hitting the club in the different settings and seeing what you get.

Edited by bluedot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I play the G400 SFT stock setting (custom shaft) my miss is high and right on ocassion. I know it happens because my swing is out of sequence when it happens. This driver keeps me straight to a baby fade, it is like all the other offerings from Cobra, Callaway, TM, etc. they're not magical but work well.

Not that many years ago Cobra and others were offering extremely closed face models to combat the slice, now they put extra weight. low and heel side with a neutral face. Good news is with their adjustability you can get dialed in.

I tried all the brands, Ping gives me the most confidence to execute.

12 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Follow up. I have a problem slicing too and it's from my outside-in downswing. I've always dialed my driver down to 9 degree because I hit the ball high-- would setting my G400 Max back to 10.5 degree help fix my slide and get my clubface more square?

Only thing that can kill or cure a slice is fixing your open face to path swing.

I know buying new clubs is cooler but investing in lessons is better.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

I would guess it'll help a slice, but it's dependent on why you slice. If you're coming over the top/outside in and swiping the ball, I don't think heel weighting is going to help one bit.  If your swing path is ok, just leaving the face open, I would think the heavy heel-weighting is going to help close the face.

6 hours ago, akronswitness said:

Follow up. I have a problem slicing too and it's from my outside-in downswing. I've always dialed my driver down to 9 degree because I hit the ball high-- would setting my G400 Max back to 10.5 degree help fix my slide and get my clubface more square?

It is certainly possible.  When you turn down the loft you are essentially opening up the face, which could then further add to your slice problem and cause it to go even further right.   

PXG 0317 X

On 7/7/2021 at 11:29 AM, Shanker84 said:

This is an equipment only question so please no mentions of fitting or lessons. I get their merit but that's not what I'm looking for here. 

I'm currently playing a Cobra Speedzone Extreme on the draw setting and I still deal with a big fade/slice more often than I would like. I'm not losing balls and gaining penalties very often but I'm losing a lot of distance and would like to straighten it out. 

I've read conflicting things on the Ping 425SFT, some call it a slice killer and others say it's nothing more than any other draw biased drivers out there. Any thoughts on how much slice-aiding ability the Ping has over my current Cobra? 

TIA 

Since you perceive to me that you have a distain working on your swing and rather to "buy" a game.  Ever considered this driver?

spacer.png

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

14 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Since you perceive to me that you have a distain working on your swing and rather to "buy" a game.  Ever considered this driver?

spacer.png

lol. 

I don’t have a disdain for working on my swing, and do quite often but I’m just not sure that I ever will be able to really shallow it out properly. I’ve put in countless hours, taken lessons, hit thousands of range balls and it’s just not happening.  

I live on the course at my club and play probably 4 times a week and am enjoying it. The fade on my irons is totally playable and I can account for it and it’s not a big deal. 

I know that this won’t be the last driver I ever buy so if I can buy one now that will help me enjoy the game more, why not? 

Edited by Shanker84
Spelling error
  • Like 3

I was fitted by Ping in 2010 to the original K15 SFT.  I played it through 2019 when I switched to the G400 Max.  I've sold 3 SFT driver's to playing friends after they hit them only once.  My Max played as an SFT as I had put lead tape at the heel.  I played this until 30 days ago when I changed to the PXG driver.

According to Ping. The SFT is heel weighted and allows the face to square more easily. Period.  It is not closed faced, Ping intentionally produced the club with a square face. 

According to one famous, can't remember his name, blogger, the SFT had a correction yardage of about 5 yards after his testing.  So no, it is not a "slice" fixer.  It will correct a slight fade to straight or close to straight depending on your ball flight and swing.  It is not a magic bullet but it does work!

27 minutes ago, 596 said:

I was fitted by Ping in 2010 to the original K15 SFT.  I played it through 2019 when I switched to the G400 Max.  I've sold 3 SFT driver's to playing friends after they hit them only once.  My Max played as an SFT as I had put lead tape at the heel.  I played this until 30 days ago when I changed to the PXG driver.

According to Ping. The SFT is heel weighted and allows the face to square more easily. Period.  It is not closed faced, Ping intentionally produced the club with a square face. 

According to one famous, can't remember his name, blogger, the SFT had a correction yardage of about 5 yards after his testing.  So no, it is not a "slice" fixer.  It will correct a slight fade to straight or close to straight depending on your ball flight and swing.  It is not a magic bullet but it does work!

I believe it was TXG that claimed it had like 25yds of correction or something ridiculous. 

11 hours ago, 596 said:

Good post.

Like you, I was fitted to and used the K15, and I still think it is one of the most underrated and misunderstood clubs ever made.  It was a great driver, and to me, the SFT versions beginning with the G30 have been adjustable "updates" of the K15.  The other difference in the G30 was a reduced spin rate at the same loft compared to the K15, so I got some yardage back that the aging process had cost me, but I never thought either club was "draw-biased".  Still don't...

I’d suggest giving the 425 Max in the draw setting a go and then using that while you try to improve the swing. Then adjust it back to neutral if you make progress.  

I did this with the G410. In the end I was really keen to ditch the draw setting on mine though and get it back to neutral where the MOI felt so much better. Almost a different club (425 is meant to be better in this regard with a bigger weight but less movement across the head).

I tried the G400 SFT and didn't have much luck with it. I don't fight a slice. I don't think I could make an over the top swing if my life depended on it.  I have the opposite problem. My swing is too much inside to outside and I fight a straight push or a push fade. The SFT was zero help for that miss. I've had much better success with the G400 Max.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

On 7/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, drumdude96 said:

I tried the G400 SFT and didn't have much luck with it. I don't fight a slice. I don't think I could make an over the top swing if my life depended on it.  I have the opposite problem. My swing is too much inside to outside and I fight a straight push or a push fade. The SFT was zero help for that miss. I've had much better success with the G400 Max.

I am the exact same as you even down the the G400, what are you going to do?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I have tried the SpeedZone Extreme before and it does want to go right more. I struggled with it so much. I feel like the face is just open. 

I tried the Ping drivers from the past to the current ones and in my own experience, even with the regular heads, they tame my slice or even go left in my case. The G425 SFT in my own experience, goes too much left for me. 

9 hours ago, akronswitness said:

Why has nobody told me this in 15 years 

I think a good club fitter would have been likely to tell you this.

I have yet to do a fitting for an adjustable club, driver, FW, or hybrid, at which the fitter used the adjustments to raise or lower ball flight; it is always and only to improve dispersion.  Club fitters understand that so-called "loft changes" are minimal IF they even occur on a given swing, while changes in the face angle are absolute.  And the interaction between changes in the face angle and dynamic loft are counter-intuitive, to say the least.

Golfers sort of understand loft, or at least think they do, so clubs are marketed that way.  They do NOT understand the basics of static loft, or dynamic loft, or spin loft, AND in at least some cases, there is prejudice against making a change that is perceived as "draw-biased" or "fade-biased".  So adjustable clubs are marketed by loft changes.