2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Shirt Tail Out???

Octabogey

Just now, 3whacker said:

sounds like a course that has lost some good old fashioned common sense, when TW wears a Nike version of a collarless Henley type of shirt that is comfortable and fashionable to many

I tend to agree, but you just have to know the place. It's as close to a muni feel as you can get on a private course. The clubhouse hasn't been renovated since the 50's and 6-7 holes are under water about 45 days a year. The driving range is squeezed between two fairways so there are always range balls all over them. 

It's really fun to play and the greens are great, but for them to start applying dress code standards is pretty funny. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

A friend of mine used to play with no shoes or socks until a pro convinced him the chemicals on the grass were super dangerous carcinogens. 

This year the same guy said "I'm done with collared shirts on the golf course." He started wearing nice tees made from performance fabric, like outdoors enthusiasts wear. He didn't get any pushback anywhere for a long time, but he showed up for a round at the scruffiest most blue-collar place we play and they asked him to please wear a collared shirt. The shirt literally cost more than the greens fee at this place. I reckon they have to hold the line or it would be cut-off overalls with no shirt. 

I had a guy in my group that started bringing his brother in law out to play with us when it was only three of us. He shows up in jean shorts. We usually all ride together but this course was close and we all met at the course so it didn't matter to me how the course handled it. They let him play but they mentioned that jean shorts were not acceptable. The next few times he shows up in the same jean shorts. We all rode to the courses together and each course allowed him to play but had issues with his shorts.

I finally told my friend to say something to him. He needed to wear other shorts because sooner or later a course was not going to allow him to play and what is going to happen? Is he going to sit in the truck while we play or are we going to have to ride back home because he couldn't play? A few more times out with this guy and he is still wearing his jean shorts.

We travel to a course 1hr away and bang they won't allow him to play. He expected us to ride home and I went ballistic. My friend ended up buying him a pair of shorts in the clubhouse. I said well at least now you have a proper pair of shorts you can wear everytime to the course. 

I usually tuck my shirt in. When temps get into the 90's and it is humid, like Wed when I played, I will pull my shirt tail out. I feel I'm cooler going that route and don't feel as sweaty. I wear performance shirts and that helps but the sweat rolls down and ends up around my waist line. With the shirt tucked in the shirt absorbs some of the sweat. With my shirt out it seems that my waist line isn't as sweaty. 

I usually wear non collared performance shirts everywhere in the summer except on the course. I would prefer wearing non collared shirts on the course too but I want to avoid any dress code problems at the course. Back when Tiger started wearing non collared shirts on the course I saw more people wearing non collared shirts and it seemed acceptable. Now courses are going back to the old collared shirt policy so I don't risk it.

I don't care to much how someone dresses on the course. To me it is about being comfortable. Shirt tail out or in is acceptable to me with shorts but shirt tail in always when wearing long pants. That's me but if you want to have your shirt tail out with long pants go ahead it's you not me.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Friday morning rant.

1. Marketing is wonderful. Shirts made in China from cheap plastic to reduce the cost even more are now "performance" shirts.

I'm a big guy. I'm 270. I have stayed that weight for many yrs. My waist hasn't enlarged any farther but when buying pants I have gone up one, maybe two pants sizes. The funny thing is my older pants still fit well in the smaller size.

I am also tall 6'3". I am still wearing older golf shirts because they fit well and the biggest part is the tails are long so they stay tucked in. 

I've tried new golf shirts on. I needed to go up a size and the shirt tails are to short unless I can find a big and tall.

I feel I'm getting bigger and taller. Maybe the clothes are getting smaller.

My shoe size 13. So far I don't have any 14 size shoes. So my feet must not be growing.

Edited by Greenie

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

There's a top 100 course near me, The Honors Course. It was created by Jack Lupton who had a family fortune from Coca Cola bottling. He was a member at Augusta National and felt like he was in line to be Chairman there. When he was passed over for that role, he surrendered his membership at AN and created The Honors. 

Lest there be any doubt who was in charge there, a picture near the men's locker room made it clear. It appeared to be a group of well-dressed professional men sitting around a long boardroom table, but all the faces had been replaced with Mr. Lupton's. 

There's a story there about a new member who came out to play for the first time. Before he teed off, the pro pulled him aside and let him know that the shorts he was wearing weren't allowed under the dress code as they were too short. He invited the member to choose a new pair of slacks or shorts from the pro shop, but the member thought that was silly and proceeded to go on with his round. 

The pro didn't know how to handle the situation so he called Mr. Lupton. His instructions were to let the member finish his round, but to meet him at the 18th green with a handshake and a check for $50,000.

It was a rebate of his initiation fee. One strike and you're out. 

Good for the club to stand their ground.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Greenie said:

I'm a big guy. I'm 270. I have stayed that weight for many yrs. My waist hasn't enlarged any farther but when buying pants I have gone up one, maybe two pants sizes. The funny thing is my older pants still fit well in the smaller size.

I am also tall 6'3". I am still wearing older golf shirts because they fit well and the biggest part is the tails are long so they stay tucked in. 

I've tried new golf shirts on. I needed to go up a size and the shirt tails are to short unless I can find a big and tall.

My shoe size 13. So far I don't have any 14 size shoes. So my feet must not be growing.

I think companies are intentionally shortening the length of shirts to save a few more pennies... again.

And pants, too. The length from the crotch to the top of the pants is ridiculously short.

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

Today, we're seeing more and more poorly dressed, even sloppy people that don't care about appearance.  I really don't care until their choices affect others.  During a professional event, players should present themselves as professionals, nothing less. 

Looking like you belong on a muni track, hacking the ball around is NOT appropriate for a professional nor is it desirably on TV.  That said, I sometimes wear my golf shirt outside my pants when it's hot outside; its cooler.  Would I do that in a regional event, NO; would I do that playing at private clubs or an upscale resort club, NO; would I do that playing with tour guys I know, NO?  

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

My thoughts, yours may differ and that is cool too.

For a professional in an event it is sloppy.  Frankly, I think shorts in the practice rounds are sloppy.

I wear a collared shirt to play golf.  About the only exceptions are if I have on a 1/4 zip I may have on a golf tee under it and when I am just practicing on the range at a public course.

I have worn denim to play before.  In winter and I left directly from work on a Friday to go to the course.  It was spitting snow and I walked by myself.

If I am unsure what the vibe or dress code is for a place I err on the side of more conservative.  Shirt tucked in.  If it is a more causal place or I am over-dressed I will untuck the shirt.  Boom, instantly a little more laid back look.

Places have rules.  Most of the time with little effort you can figure out what they are.  Don't blame the place for enforcing their rules.  Often there is a good reason for them.  You may not agree with the rule, and that is fine, but someone else along the way wanted/needed that rule.

Regarding other sports, MLB managers look like slobs these days.  I get there is no functional reason that a manager wear the actual players uniform but there is the tradition.  The hoodies and pull overs (only) look sloppy.  Wear the jersey and a pullover or jacket over the top if it is cool, but wear the jersey top with your number.  I don't particularly care for the weird printed socks and multi-colored wristbands either.  I think there is supposed to be a certain amount of uniformity in the uniforms.  I can allow that some players want to wear high socks and some low but you wear the same socks/stirrups.  I always wore my socks low.  Back when I played the pants were tighter so the stirrup still showed.  I also always wore stirrups even though they barely showed.  Starting pitcher picked the uniform we wore but the accessories (hat, belt, sleeves) were always the same color and only one of two colors.  

I do not like the new style soccer/football uniforms/kits that are made to be worn untucked.  Looks sloppy to me though I will concede they are tailored and look as good as can be untucked.

NBA uniforms are garish for a multitude of reasons.

Football (American) should be tucked in as well.

I've worked at several decent sized manufacturing facilities.  When you allow people to do certain things or you do certain things for a person, you set a precedent.  I have been around several well-meaning HR and ops people who thought they were doing right by people and the company only to have actually created a worse issue by not strictly following written and established policy.  You can't abide by the rules for some and not all.  Word always gets out when you don't treat everyone equitably.  And it is resented when you don't.

• Like 1

I find it quite sad reading the majority of replies here thinking it is no big deal that a shirt was not tucked in.  He is a representative of the PGA Tour, and he/they should take the "P" seriously.

Look what happened several years ago when a certain player in a certain sport decided to wear a certain pair of socks.  Now fast forward to today.

6 hours ago, Greenie said:

My physical stats are practically identical to yours.  I have a longish torso, so shirt tails have always been a problem.  Over the years I've gone to being untucked in sport shirts designed to be that way.  My wife got me a PGA Tour Pro Series shirt from JC Penny for my birthday sized XLT which looks and fits great.  I plan to get more of them. 

Edited by ohioglfr
  • Like 1

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Occasionally play a Muni a county over, not exaggerating, Larry the Cable guy and his brothers are 90% of the clientele. Not a shirt tucked in anywhere, I don't care, they don't care obviously. Mines tucked in.

As I'm changing out my shoes after the round a guy couple trucks down says " 

I bet that guy can play golf " ...  .... said the Newb.

We both got a laugh outta that. lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Shirt still untucked for those Karen's and Kevin's that care.

Whoa whoa whoa - don't be throwing this on the Kevin's of the world! 

I always start tucked but by the start of the back 9 I'm free flowing with the un-tucked.

Must be a slow media day this is an issue, but here I am replying anyway!

• Like 1

it's too short, like a belly shirt! Nike will have it available in their Fall line....along with hoodies....and joggers....all made in China....

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*; Callaway PM Grind 64*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1
Bridgestone B RXS

2 hours ago, tannyhoban said:

Years ago we got around the slacks requirement in jr golf inter club by wearing Levi's cords. Nobody said a word.

Some of y'all have some weird hangups, lol.

Good move on the cords. Nobody said anything because it looks good. 

But Its not necessarily a hangup. Just depends on the club or course. Some courses don’t want you looking like a slob. Others are more lenient. 

Problem with untucked is unless it’s fitted right and the right length, you got people walking around like the guy on the left.

But I agree that untucked fitted well looks good. But too complicated to make rules around what’s “fitted well” and  looks good. 

8344E222-6B01-4AA7-8905-51747CFC74B0.jpeg

• Like 1