What color balls are the hardest to find for you? I can't find my balls.

Greenie

I usually shoot in the mid 80's. My game is pars and bogeys for the most part. An occaisional blow up hole. So I don't lose alot of balls. 

I may lose one, maybe two balls a round at the most. 

I was playing the Maxfli Softfli in the green color. For me that color glows in the fairway and rough and I always found it easy to find. 

I recently bought some Srixon soft feels in the same color. I like the performance of these balls and I play my same game using them,slighly better if I could find them.. The green color on these balls are slightly different comparing them to the Softfli. I can't find these darn balls in the rough. I'm talking about just barely off the fairway and nothing. They disappear. I have played three rounds with them and I have lost a dozen balls so far using them. I lost 2 legit but the other balls were slightly off the fairway and not to be found. 

This reminds me of a buddy of mine that bought some orange Bridgestones a few yrs back. Neither of us could spot his ball. We even had a hard time finding his in the fairway.

So what color or model ball do you find the hardest to spot? What do you feel is the best color and or model for you?

55 minutes ago, Murphy76 said:

Have you been tested for color-blindness?

No I have not. I'm older so who knows.

I know I cannot see the orange balls very well at all. My friend that played them couldn't see them either. My other friend I play with can't see his ball when he hits it. I doubt he can play by himself. 

It might be all me when it comes to the Srixon green balls but neither me or my friends can find them very easy in the rough. The green Softfli balls I play seem to glow to me and I can see the well in the rough from a distance.

Yellow balls seem to be the thing now. I play yellow balls but after finding a green Softfli I found it easier to see in the rough. I didn't think I would like the green but I do at least in the Softfli green.

I find all color balls on the course now. Red, blue, pink, hot red, orange, bright orange, matte and gloss in various colors. Even two color Srixon balls in various colors. 

That is why I made this post. Is it me or do other players find certain color balls hard to see in the grass. 

28 minutes ago, Greenie said:

No I have not. I'm older so who knows.

I know I cannot see the orange balls very well at all. My friend that played them couldn't see them either. My other friend I play with can't see his ball when he hits it. I doubt he can play by himself. 

It might be all me when it comes to the Srixon green balls but neither me or my friends can find them very easy in the rough. The green Softfli balls I play seem to glow to me and I can see the well in the rough from a distance.

Yellow balls seem to be the thing now. I play yellow balls but after finding a green Softfli I found it easier to see in the rough. I didn't think I would like the green but I do at least in the Softfli green.

I find all color balls on the course now. Red, blue, pink, hot red, orange, bright orange, matte and gloss in various colors. Even two color Srixon balls in various colors. 

That is why I made this post. Is it me or do other players find certain color balls hard to see in the grass. 

I'm very colorblind (I can usually pick out yellow, but have only ever seen 2 colors in a rainbow). I'm guessing you are at least a little bit colorblind as well. I can't see orange balls at all.

Quick test here:
https://enchroma.com/pages/test

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

My go to is yellow. Blue depending on the day, but my worst by far is red for some reason. I can barely even track red off the tee.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

Easiest for me is orange.

For me, lime green balls are the hardest to find after they land.

Following balls once airborne: hardest for me to track is white, unless sky is clear blue that day.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Yeah, my first thought was colorblindness as well. 

This is me: https://enchroma.com/pages/protan

Protans are people with protanomaly, a type of red-green color blindness in which the red cones do not detect enough red and are too sensitive to greens, yellows, and oranges.

As a result, greens, yellows, oranges, reds, and browns may appear similar, especially in low light. It can also be difficult to tell the difference between blues and purples, or pinks and grays. Red and black might be hard to tell apart, especially when red text is against a black background. 

I can see yellow balls well. I've had some luck with bright lime green.

Can't see pink or red balls at all. Literally I could step on a red ball on the green because I probably won't notice it's there. When my wife is decorating the Christmas tree, she is always asking me if there are any bare spots that need to be filled in--and invariably I pick out somewhere that she's hung a red ball because it just blends right into the tree and looks like a bare spot to me. She's stopped asking lol...

Everyone always tells me that red is a "bright" color. Not for me. My eyes attenuate red so much that it's a very dark color to me. It simply doesn't "pop" the way it seems like it does for everyone else in the world. 

I'd suggest a colorblindness test. Not much you can do if you are, but it's always good to know because it might explain a LOT about what you're [not] seeing on a regular basis.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

It could be that I am color blind to that shade of green on the Srixon balls. If that's the case then the whole foursome is color blind to that color too. They join in the search. At least the guy I ride with if not all four. I lost three more balls in the rough this past Sat. I guy from the adjacent fairway found my ball once when he came over looking for his ball that I had already spotted for him.

It's getting old searching for lost balls just off the fairway. We play at a decent pace and these slow downs are killing our pace. I only put three of the Srixons in my bag to play. After losing all three I pulled out a Maxfli in their green color and to me they almost glow in the rough. I can see them before I even get close to the ball. I'll be glad when I lose the three dozen that I bought of the Srixons so I can move on.

The blue ones are hardest for me.  If the ball lands in the shade I can't see the green ones well, either.  In the higher cuts, dandelion flowers hide yellow balls and dandelion seed heads make it hard to find white balls because they're white and round, too.  Pink or orange colors stand out more for me.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Red, especially deep matte red are awful. I bought a few different red because I thought it might be better than orange and I could not have been more wrong. I can usually spot them in the air, but I lose it before they hit. I have lost over a dozen on the fairway never to be seen again (by me). I'm almost out of the red.

<edit> I play mostly orange balls now.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 7/9/2021 at 11:55 PM, Greenie said:

I usually shoot in the mid 80's. My game is pars and bogeys for the most part. An occaisional blow up hole. So I don't lose alot of balls. 

I may lose one, maybe two balls a round at the most. 

I was playing the Maxfli Softfli in the green color. For me that color glows in the fairway and rough and I always found it easy to find. 

I recently bought some Srixon soft feels in the same color. I like the performance of these balls and I play my same game using them,slighly better if I could find them.. The green color on these balls are slightly different comparing them to the Softfli. I can't find these darn balls in the rough. I'm talking about just barely off the fairway and nothing. They disappear. I have played three rounds with them and I have lost a dozen balls so far using them. I lost 2 legit but the other balls were slightly off the fairway and not to be found. 

This reminds me of a buddy of mine that bought some orange Bridgestones a few yrs back. Neither of us could spot his ball. We even had a hard time finding his in the fairway.

So what color or model ball do you find the hardest to spot? What do you feel is the best color and or model for you?

OP @Greenie: Have you tried the Chromesoft "TruVis" (eg the soccer-ball pattern) or the TP5 "Pix"?

These are designed for easier tracking 

Certainly also possible to make "DIY TruVis" patterns i.e. with a Sharpie, on your own favourite balls!

Edited by JungleJimbo

9 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

OP @Greenie: Have you tried the Chromesoft "TruVis" (eg the soccer-ball pattern) or the TP5 "Pix"?

These are designed for easier tracking 

Certainly also possible to make "DIY TruVis" patterns i.e. with a Sharpie, on your own favourite balls!

I like the Chromesoft and Supersoft but not the ones looking like soccer balls. These will probably be my next purchase in matte green or yellow. Callway's color pop in the grass for me. Even better than the Maxfli Softfli I play. 

I seem to have the problem only with the Srixon matte green color. It's a shade darker comparing to other balls of similar color. Must be my eyes but my friends are not finding my Srixons for me either.

• Like 1