2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Restaurant servers not giving prices on specials

jordan2240

8 hours ago, Gohigh said:

Dont ever order specials. Its usually created to get rid of inventory or perishable products about to go bad. Having said this... There are other platforms other than GOLFWRX to complain or vent about stuff like this...

Not really true.  I mean don’t order the sushi special on Monday (or ever) but most restaurants with decent chefs put a lot of effort into their specials.  At my restaurant we often run more interesting products or seasonal items to run as specials.  That said, you are not wrong that early in the week most every restaurant has things left over from the weekend that they would like to sell while they are still fairly nice, and well before they have to feed them to the staff or throw them in the trash...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

I have never heard anyone ridiculed for asking prices. 

Allow me to introduce you to my wife...

But not insecure about my financial situation at all.  I just consider it a matter of courtesy to include prices in the description of specials if all other menu items show pricing.

1 hour ago, jomatty said:

While I basically agree, a request such as “pasta with squid” is not a difficult one to accommodate.  In my kitchen if someone made that request it’s not like I would shout to the line “get some salted water on, we are making going to shock and peal tomatoes, and start a sauce from scratch to meet this guys special request”.  I’m gonna use the mise I have for other dishes and put something nice together for him with little extra effort.  If I. Really weeded it may be as simple as hollering at the sauté guy “veggie pasta add charred octopus” or some such.  It seems that I started out disagreeing but as I read what I wrote I’m basically agreeing that pasta probably is not as good as whatever octopus special I’m running, but if the dude likes octopus and pasta, it’s generally not a big deal, and will be a nice pasta dish.   The hardest part is if a non English speaker is working sauté and I have to explain that I want something not on the menu 😂 

Well, since I’m the octopus guy,

I love grilled octopus appetizers but I’m generally making the octopus and pasta request at Italian restaurants that serve a lot of red sauce. 

However, I was at great place in my neighborhood, not Italian, and noticed they had a grilled octopus appetizer but then they had a pasta entree “frutti de mare”.

I know the waitress and it was very early, place was not even half full and asked her to ask the chef if he could swap in the octopus instead of the shrimp and he agreed!

Was dope!

Got me hungrier and I got a steak too 🤣

034479C9-9C41-40C3-9599-023A18B19BCA.jpeg

AE3BEADB-D63F-4D25-9C44-1EEF8B3969FD.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3

Just now, bscinstnct said:

Well, since I’m the octopus guy,

I love grilled octopus appetizers but I’m generally making the octopus and pasta request at Italian restaurants that serve a lot of red sauce. 

However, I was at great place in my neighborhood, not Italian, and noticed they had a grilled octopus appetizer but then they had a pasta entree “frutti de mare”.

I know the waitress and it was very early, place was not even half full and asked her to ask the chef if he could swap in the octopus instead of the shrimp and he agreed!

Was dope!

Got me hungrier and I got a steak too 🤣

034479C9-9C41-40C3-9599-023A18B19BCA.jpeg

AE3BEADB-D63F-4D25-9C44-1EEF8B3969FD.jpeg

Looks great!  If it’s not busy then you definitely will get more effort from the chef.  Even if it is busy though a chef should be able to do something delicious with what he has on hand.  Steak looks really nice as well!

• Like 1

I don't understand why your wife would give you a look and ruin your dinner if you asked the price of a special.

If that's the case you could always call the restaurant ahead of time and ask about the specials and price.

I guess that you've never been to a restaurant that had AQ or Market price next to an item on the menu. This could be something special like an A5 Wagyu steak or a lobster or some other special.

We had a four course Alba white truffle dinner and I asked our server the price which he had no problem telling me. It was really expensive but worth it to my wife and I as the Alba white truffle season is very short.

7 hours ago, aloha b. said:

I don't understand why your wife would give you a look and ruin your dinner if you asked the price of a special.

If that's the case you could always call the restaurant ahead of time and ask about the specials and price.

I guess that you've never been to a restaurant that had AQ or Market price next to an item on the menu. This could be something special like an A5 Wagyu steak or a lobster or some other special.

We had a four course Alba white truffle dinner and I asked our server the price which he had no problem telling me. It was really expensive but worth it to my wife and I as the Alba white truffle season is very short.

I was exaggerating when I said it would ruin the dinner, but she would definitely see it as me coming off as a cheapskate, so it would embarrass her.  It's really not that big of an issue, so not something I'd be calling ahead about, but I thought it would be interesting to hear other opinions on it.  And yes, I have eaten at places that have 'market price' listed next to a menu item, and if it was an item I was interested in, I would ask what the price was.

13 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

Allow me to introduce you to my wife...

But not insecure about my financial situation at all.  I just consider it a matter of courtesy to include prices in the description of specials if all other menu items show pricing.

The fact is if the special is something the server is verbally selling you, they should know the price and they should tell you the price, at least at every place I have ever worked. They may have forgotten to tell you or maybe the server is just trying to act a certain way they think is cool or whatever. All you got to do is say “ I’m sorry I didn’t catch what the price was, or I usually simply say “and how much is it?”  The server usually says something like “it’s $23.95”. I then usually say something like “thanks, I think I’ll have the KC Strip”. 

it’s really not a difficult conversation. It’s not like we are negotiating the price of a car or something. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, jordan2240 said:

I was exaggerating when I said it would ruin the dinner, but she would definitely see it as me coming off as a cheapskate, so it would embarrass her.  It's really not that big of an issue, so not something I'd be calling ahead about, but I thought it would be interesting to hear other opinions on it.  And yes, I have eaten at places that have 'market price' listed next to a menu item, and if it was an item I was interested in, I would ask what the price was.

Well, we have a few answers from people in the industry and I think it boils down to,

They want to see if you’ll pay more without asking! I’m sure many people do.

However, unless money is no object, you gotta ask. Most specials are within reasonable proximity to menu items but some could be 20 bucks more or higher.

So, if you’re wife doesn’t like to ask the price, I can understand that if you’re out at dinner she doesn’t want to give the appearance that the price is influencing choice,

You gotta either go against her (that ain’t happening; ) or just put the thought out of your head and relax and order what you want. It’ll probably be just a few bucks more. 

50 minutes ago, callawayjay said:

There are rare occasions where I will mention it but it’s not required. I don’t gouge my guests. I let the game come to me. 

the servers who do gouge and oversell are the ones that don’t have regular requests from locals. I’ve been there 14 years and make a good living just from requests. 

Staff at good steakhouses are the best and most professional in my experience. People are coming to spend dough and have a great experience.

My friends have been doing an annual steakhouse dinner for years. Hit Keens, Sparks, Delmonico. We’ve been going to Delmonico past few years and now have a regular table and same staff takes care of us every year. These people are great, attentive but not clingy, knowledgeable. 

Thats “our table” right there, the round one on the left ; ) 

F53F2A35-F8DA-40B2-86CE-3B8C9EFC2201.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 11:43 AM, jholz said:

What all of us hate, just for the record, is when people order something from the menu and make changes to it. I love the whole "I'm allergic to onions..." line. The response is uniformly, "well, I hope you're not allergic to pubic hair, 'cause you're getting some in your meal."

That's too bad, because onions are on my no-eat list. At least, raw onions or a mountain of "caramelized" (which in most places are simply fried, not caramelized, which takes way too long) onions. They quite literally make me physically ill. Which in turn takes me to my pet peeve.

Why don't restaurants spell out what is on/in a dish? From the tuna salad sandwich I picked up premade at Starbucks which was really a raw red onion salad sandwich with some tuna and mayo mixed in, to the salad with 3 different types of greens, heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and crumbled bacon but with no mention of the ample raw red onions within, to the burger with aged extra-old cheddar, house-made pickles, thick-cut bacon and tomato chutney, with no mention of either the several thick slabs of onion along with the goddam fried egg on top? Disclose all of what you're serving, please. And what is it with restos and their overuse of raw onion? I expect 75% of them go back on the otherwise empty plate at the end of the meal. Are they all on the take from the Onion Farmers of America?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 6:18 AM, jordan2240 said:

Anyone else think servers should provide pricing on specials?

First, a definition issue: servers bring food to the tables... waiters take orders and manage food flow to tables, sometimes assisted by servers. 

Depends in part on the training of the waiters, or servers. Also...

• There's individual differences in detail retention on complex menu monologues. If a waiter doesn't have a photographic memory, he or she may need prompting for final details.
  • how long has server/waiter worked there...
  • what time of day was it? If lunch trade, better servers/waiters may work more lucrative evening supper shifts

I have past experience as a bartender. If you think that all fancy restaurants train their staff well, think again. Solution...

On 7/10/2021 at 6:54 AM, Hateto3Putt said:

Try saying this: "And how much is the veal"?

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

20 hours ago, Greg_B said:

That's too bad, because onions are on my no-eat list. At least, raw onions or a mountain of "caramelized" (which in most places are simply fried, not caramelized, which takes way too long) onions. They quite literally make me physically ill. Which in turn takes me to my pet peeve.

Why don't restaurants spell out what is on/in a dish? From the tuna salad sandwich I picked up premade at Starbucks which was really a raw red onion salad sandwich with some tuna and mayo mixed in, to the salad with 3 different types of greens, heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and crumbled bacon but with no mention of the ample raw red onions within, to the burger with aged extra-old cheddar, house-made pickles, thick-cut bacon and tomato chutney, with no mention of either the several thick slabs of onion along with the goddam fried egg on top? Disclose all of what you're serving, please. And what is it with restos and their overuse of raw onion? I expect 75% of them go back on the otherwise empty plate at the end of the meal. Are they all on the take from the Onion Farmers of America?

Onions are in pretty much everything. One of the most indispensable ingredients in any dish. That being said, I think you have a point. I feel the same way about olives and scrape them off of anything that I happen to find them on. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

58 minutes ago, jholz said:

Onions are in pretty much everything. One of the most indispensable ingredients in any dish. That being said, I think you have a point. I feel the same way about olives and scrape them off of anything that I happen to find them on. 

Sure, onions can make a useful flavor ingredient, just like garlic. No problem when it is chopped fine and cooked in a recipe. But those thick slabs of raw red onion I see far too often on things seem to be used because they make for a colorful picture. They are being used like sprigs of parsley were used as decoration on restaurant plates in the '50s and'60s. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

Sure, onions can make a useful flavor ingredient, just like garlic. No problem when it is chopped fine and cooked in a recipe. But those thick slabs of raw red onion I see far too often on things seem to be used because they make for a colorful picture. They are being used like sprigs of parsley were used as decoration on restaurant plates in the '50s and'60s. 

Yeah well, that's just amateur hour. I agree with you.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Obviously, the only solution is to take your own order, cook it yourself in the kitchen, serve it to your table and let the restaurant people clean up and do the dishes.

"Excuse me chef... behind you! Coming though!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

On 7/10/2021 at 8:03 AM, Mr. Grumpy said:

Hopefully you do not base your tip on that belief..

On that alone, or singificant enough to mention? No. But I tend to find servers who thoroughly explain the specials, including the price, tend to be thorough throughout all steps of service.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, Soloman1 said:

OK, since you're talking restaurants, can I post something from another thread about restaurants?

---------------->

The Official Saturday Morning Rant (July 10th Edition)

"Restaurant Hell"

OK, so we've been eating at home for more than a year and sometimes doing takeout. Maybe it was time to take our long-ago vaccinated bodies out and sit down in a restaurant again and have someone else do the cooking and dishes. Off we went to an Italian food chain called Maggiano's. First time to go inside, but had takeout once and it was pretty good and looked nice inside when I picked it up.

Made a reservation and reserved a booth. The person on the other end was polite and cheerful. All set.

Show up at zero hour and the host sends us off to be seated by a guy who looks exactly like Garth Algar from Wayne's World (see below - he really did look like this).

No worries.

We walk about three feet and he points to a tiny little table right behind the host stand against the wall and a frosted window. I explained that we made a reservation for one of the booths, like all of those empty ones over there...

He counters immediately, "Oh, but this table has a nice view."

"We reserved one of those booths," I said again quietly, not wanting to make a scene.

He insisted that this was where we should sit.

Ok, enough of this. I said, "I'm sorry young man, but that's the wrong answer. The correct answer is, 'Yes sir, I'll take care of it immediately.'"

We get our booth after jousting with Garth. Let it go and enjoy the dinner.

Our waiter with a nasty beard half-covered with a dirty mask shows up. He's full of swagger for some reason. We get a couple glasses of wine. He brings some hot bread and our order is squared away. We're going to split a salad and a spicy red sauce pasta dish. Portions are just too big now for one human to eat by themselves. I'm trying to keep my dinners under 10,000 calories.

Mr. Swagger plunks the salad dish onto the table and scurries away. We wait and wait until he walks by and I remind him that we were going to split this salad. Can he at least get us another plate? We get another plate. No apology, just another plate. OK, I think we've successfully maneuvered around the last roadblock of the night.

Mr Swagger plunks down the big entree plate and two small plates. We're doing good! He disappears immediately. He has no other tables yet, but he's always gone.

We start to put some on the plates and realize that this is not what we ordered. Mr Swagger is nowhere to be found. Since we're sitting next to the congregating area where all the wait staff talk about their lives, their loves, their diseases, their troubles, their hangovers, etc., I ask one if they can find our waiter. I get an eye roll, but at least someone will go find him.

Sometimes I just have to take a break, take a breath and reset my mind to understand and accept that this is the new standard of service.

Swagger shows up. I tell him that this isn't what we ordered. He asks what we ordered. I told him to look at his ticket. He takes the food away. No "I'm sorry," no "I apologize." Nothing. He says he'll get it out right away. I tell him not to rush, we're not in a hurry. I just want it cooked properly.

He brings out the correct entree and drops it on the table, then he's off again to the mystery hang out. No plates, and even better, no silverware, since he took ours when he picked up the wrong entree.

Sigh.

He's nowhere to be found. I have to ask Mr Eyeroll again to please (we must say "please" and "thank you" to them, lest they get offended) find Mr Swagger. He returns and says he can't find him. He shows up just as the dish has reached that degree of coolness that it's not as appetizing as it looked. He asks what I need.

I say nothing. I look at him, then the table, then him, then the table, hoping he might be able to figure this out on his own.

Nope. He's totally oblivious to the fact that we have no plates or silverware. What the hell was I thinking? I have to spell it out to him.

Sigh. This place isn't cheap. I'm not going to make a scene. They have a special thing where you can order an entree to go for $5 if you eat in and they're delicious. Just heat them up yourself. We ordered two.

Right on cue, Mr Swagger brought us the check (he didn't forget the check...) and a bag with the entrees. I just want to leave, so I don't check the bag.

And right on cue, we check at home and the orders in the bag were wrong.

Another frustration was that sitting right next to each other, we could not hear each other. The music was so loud that no one in the restaurant was talking. Everyone was screaming. No one could hear each other without screaming.

Naturally, you cannot talk to, or write to, anyone in the corporate HQ. No phone numbers and no email addresses are on the site. They don't even have a street address because you might actually write a letter to them.

They learned their lesson that the best way to stop hearing complaints is stop giving people a way to complain.

I called the restaurant the next day. Without going into details, I asked to talk with the manager about my experience there and was told that the manager would definitely call me that day or the next day. That was over a week ago. I guess I'll keep waiting? I'm sure the manager is just too busy and will call me later.

It's all me. It can't be them. If it was them, the place would be struggling to stay in business. It's packed every day with people who think much differently than I do. They think it's great that everything is wrong, or they just don't care.

I have to learn to accept that this is the new standard of service. Or I have to stay at home.

Oh, and how much is the special?

garth.png

Perhaps the worst service I ever had was at a Maggiano's. My small handfull of other visits there yielded service I consider average or better.

Over 30 years high end restaurant service for me as well. Worked in D.C., Vegas, and Phoenix. Steakhouse's for 15 of those years. My answer is ....

Price Point.

The clientele at very expensive restaurants don't ever hear it and possibly would be offended if the waiter did give the prices for specials. It is just different at the top level.

Now drop out of the category of big bucks restaurants and the server should absolutely clearly state the cost of each special he or she is providing a description of. 

Different rules for different crowds perhaps.

Thank you bscinstnct for complimenting high end Steakhouse waiters. I believe you are correct in stating the best waiters anywhere work in expensive Steakhouses. We take our profession very seriously. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

Feel free to ask, but be sure to listen, lol.  I was on vacation with my family when I was about 15 and I was at the far end of the table from the waiter.  I asked how much the crab special was, but didn’t really hear the answer.  None the less, I ordered it and enjoyed my meal.  As we're walking out my mom tells me that was $75.  I got crab crackers for my birthday that year.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, Soloman1 said:

I've got loads of experience. I've been eating food for well over half a century.

If I'm not interested in the special, it doesn't matter how much it is.

I remember the old days when the guys working at The Italian Village in Chicago would tell you what you were ordering that night. And they were usually right... 😉

Some of the best meals I've ever had were from places like that.   Especially when it's an exhibition kitchen. 

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Just ask man, she'll have to get past it. You go to the tire shop and the dude behind the counter asks, "do you want today's special or upgrade to Michelin/Pirelli (you name it)? There's no difference in the inquiry, just the product being bought and sold. The only time you're gonna be considered a tight-Word not allowed is when it's gratuity time. If they earn it they earn it and you pay them accordingly. If not, let your conscience and their performance be your guide.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.