Sim Max Fairway Woods A Beast

platgof

I have bought a lot of fairway woods looking for the goat, and that includes the latest offerings. The Sim Max 5 wood kills the ball. Par three today was out there, and no way I thought I could reach it at 190 yards. I went 20 yards past it. This is beyond anything I have ever played before. That is as long as my driver, insane. I have went and ordered the 7 wood, and they are hard to find.   

• Like 2

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 & 7 wd  

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

AP1 714 7-aw2 

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

They are definitely very, very hot. Great shape and feel too. I actually found the SIM fairways too hot and wouldn’t mind 500-1000 rpms more spin in exchange for several yards, but that’s just my need. Great clubs.

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Vokey SM7 55M & 60L (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid Slant - Diamana Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

Getting the 7 wood is tough as most were sold out. I went ahead and paid full price to get it. The shaft in these are very good shafts, lots of control. My vision is messed up right noiw, but hopefully get that fixed so I can enjoy these even more. WRX,ers were talking about how good they are, and i didn't believe it. Now I know it's real.

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 & 7 wd  

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

AP1 714 7-aw2 

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

It's long, I had the Sim Max 15* and it looks and feels great, but honestly, I don't think it's any better than my G425 Max 3w and that thing seems to be easier off the deck.  I can see why people love the Sim woods, strong contenders.

Taylormade SIM2 10.5  HZRDUS RDX blue 60  6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5 (C1)  Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Ping G410 19  Aldila Rogue black 85s

PXG Gen 3  0311T  4-P  Elevate Tour stiff

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0  52/12, 58/10

Odyssey White Hot OG Rossie 34.25"

Snell MTB 

Titleist Players 4+

1 minute ago, itsmb8 said:

How are they off the turf?  My gamer is an old Burner TP 3wood, and while its money off the tee (255 carry and can hit it any shape I want) I just cannot hit the thing off the turf at all.  

Easy to hit off the turf for me.  I have the SIM ti though.  Still plenty forgiving.  Let's put it this way.  I was gaming an old R7 ALE and had several 3 metal through out the years that could not beat it.  Always came back to it.  Got the SIM ti last year and it's long and pretty straight.  I can make a bad swing and not worry about it hooking hard left. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana ZF 60TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was having problems going left with the 7 wood and switched to a midsize grip to slow the hands down, and now it is one of my best clubs. Love the impact sound. I agree that the G425 is a great fairway club, but I will stay with the Sim Max for now. It is really good off the deck. That 7 wood now puts a smile on my face. Plus the Ventus shaft is no joke either.

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 & 7 wd  

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

AP1 714 7-aw2 

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

Just got the SIM2 Max 5wood. Man so far this club is a beast. Replaced my 3wood off the tee because it goes the same distance, but I can also hit it off the deck 1000% better than a 3wood. High and soft landing or piercing trajectory if I need it. Sold my 3wood immediately 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - Hzrdus Black 6x

3 Wood:  Titleist TSi2- Accra TZ5 75 M5

5 Wood: Sim2 Max - Ventus Blue 7s

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS $Taper HT 125

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F, MG3 54.13, 58.12 - DG S400 Ti

Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Ten tour lined  

Looking at 7 woods and I saw one go for under $100. I think I will sell my GAPR Mid 4 and get one. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I, too, love this club. I was lucky enough to hit one with the shaft I got it in when I tried them out. It won me over and that was one of the first times I’ve bought a club right away after hitting it. My buddy was like, “oh, okay…wait, seriously? You’re gonna take it?” I did. This club is fantastic off the tee on short or tricky par 4 holes. Off the deck it’s equally good. 

Titleist TSI3 9* - Tour AD DI 6x - Titleist TSI2 16.5* - Tour AD DI 7x- Titleist 910H 21* - Diamana Kai’li 85x

Titleist T100 4-PW - Modus 120x - Titleist Vokey SM8 52/F, 58/M - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

I love the Sim2 fairway wood lineup this year.  I got the 15* Sim2 Ti and Sim2 Max 7  and 9 woods.

The 3 wood is an absolute rocket off the tee and easy to get airborne off the ground. The 7 and 9 woods have been a game changer for me on shots between 200 to 225 yards.  Both are easy to get airborne and very accurate.  They aren't hook biased like hybrids.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sim Max 7 wood has been absolutely amazing so far. Easy to get uo, and a laser shot to the pin. There is a reason why these are hard to find. I have little luck off the deck with the 5 wood, but off the tee it has no equal.

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 & 7 wd  

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

AP1 714 7-aw2 

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

I’ve got the sim2 max 3w. Love it. 

I was slightly worried whether it might be tough to hit off the deck, but I really didn’t need to worry - it’s as good of the turf as it is off the tee. 

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

• 2 months later...

That 7 wood is money! It has really been a game changer and got a birdie today with it. I used to fear carrying hazards, but not with this club. It has no fear. I also nailed the 5 wood and had a chance for eagle, but took the birdie. Had to carry a pond. 

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 & 7 wd  

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

AP1 714 7-aw2 

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

On 8/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, getitdaily said:

I'll let you know soon. Sim max rocket tour issue coming. It's 14.3, 2 open, and 57.5 lie. 

Sold the tour issue. 14.3 combined with the low/low shafts I prefer just didn't work. Flight was too flat. Am on the lookout for a sim.max at 15-16 loft, 57-58 lie, and .5-1 open. If I find one of those then I'll buy it. It's a very solid head. 

Since playing Tournament Golf I have been using my 5 wood a lot and really hitting it well. I was so so with it before, but using it a lot lately has really improved on striking the ball. I did extend both the 5 and 7 wood a half inch, and it has helped a lot with the striking. Best woods i have ever owned, period. 

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 & 7 wd  

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

AP1 714 7-aw2 

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

On 11/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, getitdaily said:

Sold the tour issue. 14.3 combined with the low/low shafts I prefer just didn't work. Flight was too flat. Am on the lookout for a sim.max at 15-16 loft, 57-58 lie, and .5-1 open. If I find one of those then I'll buy it. It's a very solid head. 

I’m assuming tour issue only with that lie angle?

Mavrik 10.5 Attas Coool 6s

Mavrik SZ 4 wood ProForce V2 7F4

Mavrik pro 3 hyb ProForce V2 8F4

Srixon ZX4,5&7  5-PW C Taper lite 110

MD5 52 & 58

SC X6

Just bought a Max D 3w. I prefer a larger headed fairway, for what will mainly be a tee club.

DR: Callaway XR16 Sub Zero Tour Issue 9.5° + Fujikura Pro 61tx @ 45".

FW: Taylormade SIM MaxD 16° + Tensei AV 75x @ 42 1/2".
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22° + White Tie HX4 x @ 40 1/2".
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 51°/56°/61° + C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Not impressed as to my needs b/c it's not that playable for anything other than fairway -too big. I've converted to the group that big and long does not impress me unless it's long and you are consistent with it off the turf.

I was not consistent with Sim Max or Sim Ti or even the Mizuno STZ - very large. I've gone to Epic Speed and Honma TR21 Fairways - compact, long, forgiving and playable from all lies, even the rough. But that's what fits me. 

You gotta go with what fits you and what you like. For some, it's all about distance. Good luck. But longest is not the be all, end all. Consistent, playable, and longish is the ticket for me. We're all different.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

• Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5 (at 9)/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft
  • Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 wd
  •  Ping G425 20.5 Hy/TPT Golf  or Honma TR21 4H
  • Honma TW-X 5-PW/Mitsu MMT 85g or Mizuno HMB 5-PW Accra CWi95
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0521 or 0321 Putter

I do not have a problem playing these at all. That sole picks balls up easily, and off the tee has been great as well. The 7 wood is just so versatile. I have an Epic Max 5 wood collecting dust. 

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 & 7 wd  

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

AP1 714 7-aw2 

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

I have a tour issue 57* lie angle Sim2 Max 3HL. Loving it. Was going to dump 3 wood from the bag, but this thing is too good. 

Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red 6x
Sim2 Max 3HL Tour AD HD 7s
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75s
PING G425 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 m4
Titleist T100 5-P Modus 120x

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

I'm very torn right now between going all Mizuno, keeping the STZ 3w and 5w -- OR, sticking with my SIM2 lineup -- 3w, 5w, 9w. I do like the solid results with the SIM2 and there is something about the fixed, glued hosel that appeals to me. Keeps me from constantly fiddling with the settings. But I do prefer the look and sound of the Mizuno lineup. 

Edited by uglande

Mizuno Stg 220 / Rdx Blue

Mizuno Stz 3w 5w / Rdx Black

Mizuno Pro 225 5-G / Project X

Miura Milled 52 56 60 / Project X

Mizuno M-Craft VI / Titleist Pro V1

On 11/8/2021 at 12:04 PM, uglande said:

I'm very torn right now between going all Mizuno, keeping the STZ 3w and 5w -- OR, sticking with my SIM2 lineup -- 3w, 5w, 9w. I do like the solid results with the SIM2 and there is something about the fixed, glued hosel that appeals to me. Keeps me from constantly fiddling with the settings. But I do prefer the look and sound of the Mizuno lineup. 

I’ve got a STZ 5 wood and SIM2 9 wood. I think they’re both easy to hit. SIM might win for distance and height while I think the STZ wins on forgiveness. 

Edited by Jmccas
STZ not CLK
  • Like 2

I have 14 clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, SwingMan said:

Not impressed as to my needs b/c it's not that playable for anything other than fairway -too big. I've converted to the group that big and long does not impress me unless it's long and you are consistent with it off the turf.

I was not consistent with Sim Max or Sim Ti or even the Mizuno STZ - very large. I've gone to Epic Speed and Honma TR21 Fairways - compact, long, forgiving and playable from all lies, even the rough. But that's what fits me. 

You gotta go with what fits you and what you like. For some, it's all about distance. Good luck. But longest is not the be all, end all. Consistent, playable, and longish is the ticket for me. We're all different.

I also find the SIM Max heads too bulky for off the turf ease. Definitely can play them, but not as easy as others. The OG Sim Ti is easier than the MAX (off turf) IMO and it goes a mile. It does not look as tall at address. But even in testing it side by side with a Titleist 915 3 wood, the Titleist was easier for me. Just looks slightly lower profile. Off a tee the SIM Ti is the longest 3 wood I have ever hit. That Ti face is hot! I was in disbelief ar how long it is. And as it is smaller it is the easiest off the turf of the SIM and SIM2 heads. 

For 7 wood, I did not like the TM heads as much as the Cobra F8 I have and the one I just built: Callaway Epic Flash (adjustable, which is key for 7 wood lie angle) with an aftermarket oldie but goodie — Diamana Kal’li 8O shaft. I also play it a little shorter at 41.5 inches. Not a distance club for me, I want my 7 wood to go 210-215 yards every time and stop on greens, which it does. 

For those struggling off the turf, I’d say in addition to those listed take a look at the standard Mavrik 4 wood. The curved leading edge and sole design makes it easier to hit off turf.