2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Nothing feels like a Mizuno

rooski

3 minutes ago, rooski said:

Pure feel is the measurement my guy. That's what I play by and those Clevelands just had it, couldnt tell ya why. I dont think Cleveland has made a good iron since then to be completely fair though

That’s good. I have never played Cleveland irons enough to see what’s what on them. 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Ahhh Mizunos!

First, congrats on your purchase! 
If you squint when you open the box, an odd blue light will quickly flash as you draw Excalibur from the stone. 
Later, your irons will be that impossibly hot woman you divorced your wife for and when your life is in shambles you wonder what the hell happened. Just kidding. 
Great irons if one has the swing! 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

4 hours ago, Gsea said:

Mizuno Trues pretty much for the last 20 yrs. Haven't hit anything else that remotely sounds/feels the same.

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

Are those the T-Zoids from way back when?  I had a set.  I loved them dearly as a kid growing up. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

15 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I've played a lot of different sticks. If you can compress a ball, anything that's a high end forging feels amazing. Mizuno can have a slightly different sound (which I think many love in fairness), as does Miura, as does Srixon. It's all person preference. If you're a talented ball striker and hit middle, everything feels good out the screws. At least now you can ravenously consume every video on Youtube with mizuno in the title, SMASH that like button and comment below nOtHinG feEls LiKE a MIzuNO.

LOL.  Love this post.  I never thought Mizuno's lived up to their hype, but maybe that's just because they have so much hype... And we're talking about all the way back to the MP-14's.

Dont get me wrong.  Mizuno makes great irons... Just not some "magical" feel. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

That’s good. I have never played Cleveland irons enough to see what’s what on them. 

Cleveland 588 Forged CB or MB from 2011-2014 were easily as good or better to me than everything I was able to hit at that time.  This included Mizuno, Miura, Bridgestone. 

They nailed it with that forging.

• Like 4

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

1 hour ago, morgan1819 said:

Cleveland 588 Forged CB or MB from 2011-2014 were easily as good or better to me than everything I was able to hit at that time.  This included Mizuno, Miura, Bridgestone. 

I had the 588 forged wedges from that same time line but I owned my 62s during that time period. I keep seeing people mention those so I bet they were nice still are 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Congratulations! I got a set of the 921 Forged this year. Cannot say enough good things. 

Must admit, I am simply a Mizzy guy. Do not know what it is. Some people just are. Really, its more like a cult. There are two kinds of golfers in the world, those who game Mizunos, and everybody else (hee hee, just kidding. Sort of.)

Not that I don't try other clubs. Every time I get ready to get new ones, I'll hit a half dozen clubs that have the best reviews for the year. Always seem to come back to Mizunos.

My first set was MP-32s - the classic forged muscle back. Had never played anything like it. The control, surprisingly forgiving, and that feel, OMG. (Probably dating myself here ... they were released in, like, 2004. Have played Mizzys ever since.) I've actually tried Miuras (have a friend that is a dealer that perpetually bugs me). They were close, but for some reason I never felt completely in sync with them (if that makes sense).

I get that different golfers have different sensibilities. All I know is that I not only play my best golf with Mizzys, I also get the most pleasure out of the game.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

There is not enough buzz about the feel with Mizuno's as I'll admit it they are right up there with Srixon's as those are 2 of the softest feeling irons to date

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 7/11/2021 at 10:21 AM, Lasorcier said:

Tiger's comment is dead on.  Any well-fitted upper-end club is going to feel really good when struck well by a good striker.  Heck, even a crappy club is going to feel good-ish when struck well by a good striker.

Well said on the second sentence.  The original post basically sounded like an advertisement, complete with advertising slogan and use of the abhorrent phrase "Buttery Smooth". 

Don't forget the blue bag and car window decal that you can put next to the apple one as shown below.

image.png.4a4cfa1d2f0ff9e2101149d334d43b3d.png

They have Mizuno window decals????  😍😍😍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tdsjfb said:

I've turned into a Mizuno Ho. Bought the Mizuno MX300 10 years and I thought I died and went to heaven. When the MP20's came out in late '19, I pulled the trigger and had the MMC's built and have nothing but great things to report on these beauties. Great feel, forgiving, and look great. 

But this is where I caution you and others (currently) purchasing Mizuno clubs. I took my Ho-dom to a new level and purchased the 921 Tours (head is damn near the same size as MMC and wanted to experience the "feel" - which is important to me). IMO, Mizuno is not dignifying itself, build-wise, as they couldn't get a simple design right in three attempts. I was really disappointed and just cancelled the order. PBA - double check, upon receipt of your clubs, that your specs are as you desired.

100% .   I got my first Mizunos in 2003 - the MP 33.  Lofts and lies were all jacked upon arrival despite being specified.  My club pro had them bent to the proper specs free of charge since I bought them through him.  Ever since, every new set of Mizunos I have purchased first get tested and corrected for loft and lie.  They are never 100% correct upon arrival.

I bought a used set of MP 20 MMC's here last year when I was just picking up golf again; I was playing to a 25 handicap at the time and am now down to 5.  The irons are still superb; if I flush the ball, the feeling is unmatched, and if I miss (like yesterday with a choked 5-iron into a 193 yard green) I still end up on the green with decent spin.  

Now only if I could get my driver, wedges and putter to play along....putting is on me as my speed control needs work, but I cannot, for the life of me, find a driver or wedge that matches the feel and consistency of these irons.  If I swing easy, I simply don't miss by much with those MMCs.  Or, as my coach said "if you could hit a driver and putt as well as you hit these irons, you'd be shooting 68". That might just be him trying to talk up my confidence, but if I am 150 out and pick up the MMC 9-iron, I am mostly likely looking at a reasonable birdie putt.  I will probably be closer to the pin than from 105 with my 54-degree Vokey.  I actually did that yesterday evening: hit 8 balls from 150 with the 9-iron, then 8 balls from 105 with the wedge. The 54 wedge left me the same distance from the pin as the 9-iron on average, which shouldn't be the case.  I am to the point I have dropped my gap wedge completely and just take a 3/4 swing with my MMC PW, as I am more confident in that club from 115. 

One of these days I will spend the money to find out why that is! 

Mizzy does get a lot of love here though, and they certainly are the best irons I have ever hit.  I have bought/sold a bunch here and nothing really came close.  

5 hours ago, morgan1819 said:

I currently game Cleveland 588 forged wedges with Mizuno MP20 blades.  The Clevelands are soft, but the MP20's are definitely, noticeably, softer. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

1 hour ago, klbcec said:

100% .   I got my first Mizunos in 2003 - the MP 33.  Lofts and lies were all jacked upon arrival despite being specified.  My club pro had them bent to the proper specs free of charge since I bought them through him.  Ever since, every new set of Mizunos I have purchased first get tested and corrected for loft and lie.  They are never 100% correct upon arrival.

I don't understand how this happens because I have seen the video of their production line. Most of my sets have been good but my MP-20s appeared to have not been bent at all (ordered 2* up) when I checked them on a loft/lie machine. Could have been missed when entering the order, hard to say. My PW I ordered as a T20 and it was correct. 

That being said I fixed them and I love them, enjoy your set OP. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Congrats on your new irons! 

I never hit Mizuno irons before June of this year.  At a demo I hit the 921 Forged really well—better than the Tour—and thought it was a good feeling club, though a bit muted.  Off-center strikes tended to flight fairly well and the feel wasn't really that different than a well-hit ball.  I own a set of Wilson Staff CB irons that give me better feedback.  Good strikes really do feel like soft butter while the Mizunos feel more like hardened butter.  😄  I ordered 921 Forged because my strikes were more consistent and swinging them simply felt great.

58 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

I currently game Cleveland 588 forged wedges with Mizuno MP20 blades.  The Clevelands are soft, but the MP20's are definitely, noticeably, softer. 

My post was referring to the 588 CB/MB Forged iron sets.  Different animal than the wedges.  I also only compared them to irons I hit from 2011-2014.  So you are comparing different years and different clubs, irrelevant to my original post.

But I don't disagree about one or the other potentially being 'softer'.  I think sound and feel preferences are 100% personal.  I just liked the overall sound, feel, and playability of these better than the comparable Mizuno's from this time frame.  Saying that, I am a big fan of the MP4 and MP64.  Great clubs.

cleveland-588-cb-irons.jpg

Edited by morgan1819
  • Like 2

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I've played rounds of golf with Mizuno MP 63, 69, MP15, MP4, and MP5. The differences I noticed were that the MP5 club head size is significantly

larger than the other models. Also, all five models had a pleasing impact sound-feel, but the MP15 design with its cavity insert was more dense sounding/feeling than the other four models. Mizuno produces great irons !

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I was a Mizuno loyalist for over 15 years and played MP60 ,MP57 , MP32 , JPX 825 Pro and still own a few sets of Tzoid Pro II that were my 1st venture into Mizuno. I 

tried a set of OnOff Kuro Irons in 2015 forged by Endo and that opened my eyes to a more "Buttery" feeling soft iron. I'm currently playing Srixon ZX7 irons also 

forged by Endo and couldn't be happier.  I will always love Mizuno and do have T20 Wedges in the bag 🙂

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I'm still convinced sound is feel.  Once, when I was awaiting my chainsaw to warm up, I was wearing ear protection and decided to hit some balls.  I went back and forth between my garage setup clubs, which are MP-32s, some T100s and Mavrik Pros.  While there was a slight difference in feel, I could not discern which club was closer to their feel without ear protection.  It was a really weird feeling.  I even took my ear protection when I got fit and the same was true when I put them on during a few strikes with different clubs.

Of course, we don't play wearing ear protection, but it did convince me that the sound upon strike was the differentiating factor with respect to "feel".  I wonder how many Mizuno fans are more sound sensitive.  Just a thought.  I ended up choosing ZX7/5 combo over the JPX 921 Tour/Forged combo.  Srixon knocked the combo sets out of the park and the feel was neck and neck.  Will not disagree that the sound/feel of Mizunos really is something.

Mizuno makes a very solid iron for many players from GI to Blades.  Boron material was introduced to only a few CB irons and wedges, never on the blade models. Mizuno has a long history in making clubs

with an excellent portfolio in forged irons used by more than a few of the games best pro and amateur golfers through the years.

Mizuno has a heritage of being a top performer. Their forged irons speak for themselves. For myself, I have played some impressive rounds  and the irons  enhanced my ability to  score.

As always, YMMV.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

You have the Mizuno fan boys and also haters (nothing compared to PXG) but in the end, even the haters have to admit, Mizuno puts out a great product.

ive played Mizunos for about 20 years now from MP30-MP33-MP32-MP37-MP67-MP20(HMB) and yes, there are some clubs that I find feel as good, but none have made me want to make the switch. 

The First Mizuno I hit was a -Tzoid (a guy I used to play some friendly competition against had . He was a great player, won the Pub-links) That was the beginning of the 20+ year relationship for me. I had a set of Hogan Apex and Wilson Staff progressives at the time  I would go back and forth with, but they had run their course so to speak. 

clubs I hit that felt as good or maybe better than my Mizuno’s at the time, but I suspect there was more to it than club head. Each time the others were PX shafts and I had DG x100’s in mine

Callaway X-Forged > MP-30

Tour stage X-blade >MP 32

Some Bridgestone offerings back in the 2000’s felt every bit as good as my MP’s as well, also some random Yonex blade I hit once but the Mizuno’s just worked for me. 

As far as compressing the ball, there is some truth in that, but there is more to the story I’d suppose… VCOG, C-Dimension, shaft, ….. etc.  

I think the shaft plays a greater roll than I previously had thought, especially after hitting same heads with different shafts in a fitting.

I used to be a Hogan fan boy until I made some swing changes. At the time I didn’t know why they didn’t have that wow factor any more and the Wilson Staff became my favorite club for years. I used to hit the face 1/2 a ball heel side and low with the Hogans, then as I started to dig a bit more and be closer to the middle of the face, the Wilson’s became my new favorite, so VCOG and C-Dimension played a role I suspect. I wouldn’t have know that 2 years ago, never mind 20+. So there are factors that Mizuno’s are most likely offering you that may equate with feel, but it’s probably a combination of many factors. 

Glad you found something that works for you! 

Edited by Drivingrangehero

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with you, i thought the mizuno marketing was just that but i was wrong. i played titleist 716 AP2s for a long time but they were pretty worn out. I started to look at irons last year and finally had a formal fitting in March and was fit for a split set. I have the Tours in 7-PW and i love them. the longer irons 4-6 are the forged. all irons are flat 1 degree, and lofts are custom but wow they are amazing. well worth it.

mizuno0.jpg