2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Nothing feels like a Mizuno

rooski

On 7/13/2021 at 8:25 PM, VictorValiant said:

I'm still convinced sound is feel.  Once, when I was awaiting my chainsaw to warm up, I was wearing ear protection and decided to hit some balls.  I went back and forth between my garage setup clubs, which are MP-32s, some T100s and Mavrik Pros.  While there was a slight difference in feel, I could not discern which club was closer to their feel without ear protection.  It was a really weird feeling.  I even took my ear protection when I got fit and the same was true when I put them on during a few strikes with different clubs.

Of course, we don't play wearing ear protection, but it did convince me that the sound upon strike was the differentiating factor with respect to "feel".  I wonder how many Mizuno fans are more sound sensitive.  Just a thought.  I ended up choosing ZX7/5 combo over the JPX 921 Tour/Forged combo.  Srixon knocked the combo sets out of the park and the feel was neck and neck.  Will not disagree that the sound/feel of Mizunos really is something.

Mizuno would agree with you. They have studied vibration patterns in metal to help form their "harmonic impact technology". Vibration creates both sound and feel and you can't get good feel without good acoustics. 

Check this video out @ 52 min 

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

On 7/11/2021 at 6:30 AM, TigerInTheWoods said:

I've played a lot of different sticks. If you can compress a ball, anything that's a high end forging feels amazing. Mizuno can have a slightly different sound (which I think many love in fairness), as does Miura, as does Srixon. It's all person preference. If you're a talented ball striker and hit middle, everything feels good out the screws. At least now you can ravenously consume every video on Youtube with mizuno in the title, SMASH that like button and comment below nOtHinG feEls LiKE a MIzuNO.

Just here to bump this post again, in case anyone missed it. 

MP-54 guy here, love em, but I wouldn't pick Mizuno only, frequency analysis and all.  Of the forged clubs I've had at least one club, my least favorite was JPX 850 Forged.  Felt missing to me and didn't care to hit other Boron ones.  It's just my opinion, but I was just as happy with the feel of others, maybe even more - Hogan Apex Edge Pro, Apex Plus, Adams CB2, Nike VPC, MP-68 (of course).  Ball of course plays a big role too.

TBH, and not that I've hit so many irons, but I haven't hit anything that feels like a Wilson FG-53 1 iron - my most addictive range club!

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I owned a combo set if MP18 SC (7-pw) and MMC 4-6). I have to be honest and say that they were nice but not any better than my previous Xforged, Apex Pro or Ap2s (and even Ping i200s). 

I recently switched to Mavrik Pro and have to say I am enjoying the feel as much as the MP18s. 

I know I’ll get some hate for that statement but it’s the truth. Current HC is 1.6 for reference and only moved to find a little extra forgiveness with not playing so much. 

My experience of Mizuno wouldn’t have me jumping to them at every chance. I think there are so many good feeling irons, that I wouldn’t be swayed by the “buttery feel” label that seems to proceed them but rather whatever gets the job done (and looks good - because that matters!)

Just my reflection from 2 years of ownership 👍

6 hours ago, joostin said:

Of the forged clubs I've had at least one club, my least favorite was JPX 850 Forged.  Felt missing to me and didn't care to hit other Boron ones. 

I do believe Mizuno using Boron is contrary to the company's reputation and, or, slogan "nothing feels like a Mizuno".

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I gamed Mizuno for almost 20 years.  MX-23 > JPX 825 Pro > MP 54.  

The 23s are at my buddy's house up north, and the 825s at my parent's house, so I don't have to travel with my sticks.   The 54s are my current backups.  And I'll never get rid of the MP-32s in my garage. 🙂

I agree with the observations on sound, vibration and feel.  I think Mizuno was years ahead of anyone else on that logic.  

19 hours ago, joostin said:

my least favorite was JPX 850 Forged.  Felt missing to me

Did not like the 850 Forged at all, or any later models with Boron.  Same goes with (most of) the TI-version irons (i.e MP15).  The exception there was the MP59, which despite the TI insert felt like a solid blade with just a bit of help. 

That being said, I will admit that I've hit other proper forgings that felt great.  I think most of what comes out of Endo or Kyoei is worth checking out.  And my buddy's Miuras met the high expectations I had.

Edited by hagimihale
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 3:42 PM, Phabs said:

These showed up week before last.  Two rounds in and I’m plenty pleased with them. 

C24E49B6-4630-4D1A-AD7F-F3C34D3DD1E0.jpeg

Did you send your own ferrules to Mizuno to have installed? Those are sharp!

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Just based on feel/sound for me would be this list:

1st would be OnOff Forged, either model from 2011 to 2015 (I haven't tried the later versions). Super soft for me. Loved them.

Joint 2nd between Yamaha Inpres X Forged from 2010 to 2013 and Tourstage from their US Blade to their x-blade 705 models. Mizuno MP4 yoro craft would be next and to round out my top five is Taylormade P730/770 combo.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:52 PM, R_Swanson said:

LOL.  Love this post.  I never thought Mizuno's lived up to their hype, but maybe that's just because they have so much hype... And we're talking about all the way back to the MP-14's.

Dont get me wrong.  Mizuno makes great irons... Just not some "magical" feel. 

It goes farther back than the 14s.  When the MP-33s were current, the MS-11/MP-11 were still considered the best Mizuno iron by a great many.

The MP-9 (TP-11) were also well regarded, and the MS-4 were almost mythological.  Payne Stewart was said to have a set of the 4's in the bag at Pinehurst, as they finished the Lynx set he never got to play.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, tsecor said:

when you have to continually shout it from mountaintop and see not a lot of tour pros use thier equipment, it makes you wonder.....

Top irons on tour

#titleist

Mizuno has never shelled out the big $$ to get tour buy-in. Yet lots of the "free agents" have gone with Mizuno in recent years without being sponsored -- Jason Day, Tommy Fleetwood (partially), Paul Casey, Brooks Koepka. It's also why Mizuno is so much less expensive than Titleist, Ping and others, despite offering even better no-upcharge shaft options.

But prove it to yourself. Go demo some MP-20s against the MB 620s. That's what I did. And the Blueprints. And Apex. Etc. Decide for yourself. For me, Mizuno won the feel competition hands down. But it also happened to perform the best of any blade I tested (and some cavity backs like the 620 CB).

Edited by uglande
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

1 hour ago, uglande said:

Mizuno has never shelled out the big $$ to get tour buy-in. Yet lots of the "free agents" have gone with Mizuno in recent years without being sponsored -- Jason Day, Tommy Fleetwood (partially), Paul Casey, Brooks Koepka. It's also why Mizuno is so much less expensive than Titleist, Ping and others, despite offering even better no-upcharge shaft options.

But prove it to yourself. Go demo some MP-20s against the MB 620s. That's what I did. And the Blueprints. And Apex. Etc. Decide for yourself. For me, Mizuno won the feel competition hands down. But it also happened to perform the best of any blade I tested (and some cavity backs like the 620 CB).

Mizuno absolutely goes after the tour guys for buy in....Vorshall talks about it all the time. They may not pay players to use thier clubs like TM does, but they absolutely go after tour feedback.....Fleetwood moved on, Koepka moved on (which is weird since he won all 4 majors with Mizzys)...

Ive hit mizunos plenty of times and to me, an amateur who plays to a 12, they feel the same as Titleist and Miura with the same well struck shots. They also feel just as bad when i thin one...... I almost bought the JPX tours but i wasnt in love with the head shape......

I just think thier slogan has brainwashed amateurs much like all the other advertising out there about distance and length for all the new drivers that come out.

22 minutes ago, tsecor said:

I just think thier slogan has brainwashed amateurs much like all the other advertising out there about distance and length for all the new drivers that come out.

Or like Titleist with their entire operation

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The only problem with Mizuno ? Left handed clubs . They got a few but I would of  love to get the Hot Metal Pro but had to go with the Hot Metal. I’m a newbie to Mizuno and awaiting my order and be filled. Ordered the 7 thru GW with KBS tour Regular flex shafts with Golf Pride Tour Velvet Align grips. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I’ve never played a mizuno iron, but I have a t7 wedge from previous years past. And all I can say is wow, I understand what the owners mean about mizuno. I can hammer that 56 degree and it still feel like I’m hitting a marshmallow lol. Feels light years better than my vokey’s. Without question going to order the new line of mizuno wedges. If I didn’t fall in love with the i210’s, without question I’d be hitting a mizuno. Congrats on your new sticks, real sick looking. Enjoy them.

5 hours ago, jetmech879 said:

Did you send your own ferrules to Mizuno to have installed? Those are sharp!

@Phabs purchased the custom ferrules and brought the build to me.  They were a little tight for the install, but I was able to make them work.  This is definitely a cool looking unusual color combo.  I don't think Mizuno will do custom ferrule options, but it's an interesting idea for them.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 3:59 PM, Fairway14 said:

I do believe Mizuno using Boron is contrary to the company's reputation and, or, slogan "nothing feels like a Mizuno".

Just to set the record straight on the use of Boron...

The addition of the Boron absolutely does not change the feel of a club.  Many golfers give the material used in the club head far too much credit for the club head's feel.  It's the design of the club head that far, far outweighs the material that it is constructed from.

The reason why Boron got this bad reputation is twofold.  First, the MP-25 that came out with the Boron had the #6 iron in all the fitting carts.  The #6 iron was the first iron in an MP-25 set to use their new "micro-slot" technology (kind of a really slim undercut cavity that was hidden under the plastic badge).  It was this undercut that was responsible for the feel of that club.  If they had instead put the #7 iron in the fitting carts back then, the tune sung by many golfers who demo'd the club would have been incredibly different.  I play MP-25 irons as one of my primary sets in my rotation and they have a fantastic feel (very smooth and solid strike feel).  I filled in the micro-slots in the #5 and #6 irons using a tungsten polymer and they feel just about as nice as the #7-PW.

Similarly, it was the design of the JPX-850 that did not have that better Mizuno traditional feel, not the addition of the Boron that caused the concern.  Mizuno has also used Boron in other clubs (like the T7 wedges) and they feel just as you would expect.  It's not about the Boron...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Noodler said:

@Phabs purchased the custom ferrules and brought the build to me.  They were a little tight for the install, but I was able to make them work.  This is definitely a cool looking unusual color combo.  I don't think Mizuno will do custom ferrule options, but it's an interesting idea for them.

Ahh got ya. They do a blue icon ferrule that is awesome looking but wasn’t sure if it was a option to send ferrules to them for custom builds. Nice work! 

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I've got an MP20 3 iron at home and it is a lovely thing - first time I hit it I fully understood the Mizuno feel thing. They definitely feel good and perform well. 

However it doesn't spend much time in the bag, as my VR Pros feel and perform even better. 

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

4 hours ago, Noodler said:

Just to set the record straight on the use of Boron...

The addition of the Boron absolutely does not change the feel of a club.  Many golfers give the material used in the club head far too much credit for the club head's feel.  It's the design of the club head that far, far outweighs the material that it is constructed from.

The reason why Boron got this bad reputation is twofold.  First, the MP-25 that came out with the Boron had the #6 iron in all the fitting carts.  The #6 iron was the first iron in an MP-25 set to use their new "micro-slot" technology (kind of a really slim undercut cavity that was hidden under the plastic badge).  It was this undercut that was responsible for the feel of that club.  If they had instead put the #7 iron in the fitting carts back then, the tune sung by many golfers who demo'd the club would have been incredibly different.  I play MP-25 irons as one of my primary sets in my rotation and they have a fantastic feel (very smooth and solid strike feel).  I filled in the micro-slots in the #5 and #6 irons using a tungsten polymer and they feel just about as nice as the #7-PW.

Similarly, it was the design of the JPX-850 that did not have that better Mizuno traditional feel, not the addition of the Boron that caused the concern.  Mizuno has also used Boron in other clubs (like the T7 wedges) and they feel just as you would expect.  It's not about the Boron...

I have MP25 5-P, agree with this. I think the MP58 was the big departure in feel for Mizuno. I did not get along with those irons.

There are many other iron brands that have felt good to me, just different.

Mizuno is pretty consistent.

When someone says “nothing feels like a Mizuno” it conjures up this image of a person who looks like Wicks from Banshee rubbing their thighs and wearing an expression on their face that could creep out a rock!

Good forged irons all feel far more similar than we’d like to admit and the ball feel is by far the biggest variable. 

Go and hit your Mizunos with a 2020 Z Star XV and then tell me it doesn’t feel like you’re hitting pebbles from the beach!

7 hours ago, DaveMc82 said:

When someone says “nothing feels like a Mizuno” it conjures up this image of a person who looks like Wicks from Banshee rubbing their thighs and wearing an expression on their face that could creep out a rock!

Good forged irons all feel far more similar than we’d like to admit and the ball feel is by far the biggest variable. 

Go and hit your Mizunos with a 2020 Z Star XV and then tell me it doesn’t feel like you’re hitting pebbles from the beach!

You mustn’t be able to compress an XV then because they feel delightful 

Titleist deserves a shout out to. Played them as well. But Mizuno just sounds awesome both saying it and the feel on irons. 
By the way much of this post is from fan base. So you don’t like them ? Go make a post for your favorite company. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0