2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

OK, who’s played the TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver?

winegr

3 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I just wish this came with a X shaft option-not sure why it doesn't. I ordered a used one from GG to try and will just throw my Ventus 7X in there and choke down I suppose.  Should be close enough, right? 

I think the reason I struggle with my driver is the swing does feel somewhat materially different.  Wider stance, higher ball placement, hit up on the ball.....I took my 4W out the other day to the range and I was striping it, both off the tee and off the deck.  245 carry, 285 rollout., and repeatable.   As soon as I try that with my driver, I get a big left hook occasionally and am completely wild. The drives I do get are maybe 20 yards longer (with 30 more carry if flushed). 

My complaint since I started playing last year was always "why can't they make a driver version of my 4W"?  Hopefully this is it!  And if not, I will go back to struggling.  I really have to get my left hip cleared and synced with my weight transfer on the driver to keep the shot online; it always feels as if there is a lot less room for error than on the 4W in that timing.  

I will report back with an updated after a Ventus 7X install! 

Don't be afraid to use the full length of the Ventus 7X.  The 300 Mini isn't designed to hit up on like larger headed drivers.  Play this so that the impact is at the bottom of your swing, like your 4 wood, and you might be surprised.  Tee the ball lower than what you would for a large headed driver as well, like 1/2 ball above the crown, maybe 1/3 of the ball.  The design of this club is to reduce spin with a penetrating ball flight.  With a 45.75" Ventus Blue 5S shaft I am hitting this farther than my M3 and with better consistency and control.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Absolutely love my 300 Mini. Consistent 250-260 carry. Sometimes 280+ on rollout. There's something about the shapes of it at address that triggers the OG 90s GBB in my head and I feel a lot more confident with it as a result. Am now eyeing my Epic Speed because there's 20 yards or so difference on solid hits but it's a lot yippier for me and some rounds I'll only hit it once or twice. 

It's generated the most interest from playing partners too especially once they see the flight and distance. Tempted to futz with different shafts but it works great. Driver might leave the bag for a while as a result. 

Also, as a lefty, I'm just happy I managed to get hold of one. I think there's only a few of them here in the UK. 

Any high swing speed guys using the mini?

I used last year's and it was a great fairway finder and plenty long, but the SIM tempted me away as it was 20+ yards longer.....

Not the mini's fault as I played it at 3 wood length with an x100 so I'm sure the club speed was slower....

After a season of bombs but less fairways I find myself tempted by the mini again...

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

4 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

Any high swing speed guys using the mini?

I used last year's and it was a great fairway finder and plenty long, but the SIM tempted me away as it was 20+ yards longer.....

Not the mini's fault as I played it at 3 wood length with an x100 so I'm sure the club speed was slower....

After a season of bombs but less fairways I find myself tempted by the mini again...

I’ve gone to the mini as a driver replacement. 120+ Mph driver speed, but I just haven’t found a setup I hit out of the middle of the face often enough. The mini with a Speeder 7.2 TS X has done that and still goes a looong way for a shorter, higher lofted option. 
I’ll probably look at drivers again next year, but this summer was a nice break from the erratic tee game I’ve been used to for a few years now. 

• Like 1

45.5" driver is around 118-124 MPH

43.5" mini is around 114-116mph 

I find I can ramp up to 115mph with the mini quickly. Getting to 124 with the 45.5" driver takes some time, which makes it harder to predict if I've gone maybe  a full 9 holes (2+ hours) without swinging really fast. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

13 hours ago, jadedennill said:

I’ve gone to the mini as a driver replacement. 120+ Mph driver speed, but I just haven’t found a setup I hit out of the middle of the face often enough. The mini with a Speeder 7.2 TS X has done that and still goes a looong way for a shorter, higher lofted option. 
I’ll probably look at drivers again next year, but this summer was a nice break from the erratic tee game I’ve been used to for a few years now. 

As crazy as it sounds, x100 was the most stable combo for me in mini

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I’ve had a few rounds with this club now. Latest thoughts a follows:

- Tee height: White Castle tee is money for me. 
- Distance: 13.5 version is a c250 yard club for me vs 45” driver of c285 yards

- Launch: I’d previously said it was flat. I’d retract that and put more down to pilot error!

- Accuracy: I’m 5’9 and just find the stock length works well. I’d say it’s more accurate than my standard driver.

I picked one up and will put it in the back shortly to replace my OO (which replaced my SLDR). 

I'm convinced on the concept as a replacement for the 3-wood on holes that are too short or too narrow for the driver. Also, I almost never hit the trey off the deck--and the OO was always good for that anyway. 

My main challenge is the course I normally play. From the tees most players use, there are just too many shorter shots where a driver would bring trouble into play. They have to use driver to get enough distance; I have to use the Mini to prevent that. And one of the par-5 holes is inexplicably 600 yards long--utterly out of character for the rest of the course. So I hit the Mini OO there since it's a 3-shot hole anyway. (There's a channel across the fairway about 110 out that makes trying to drive it up further pointless anyway. A Mini off the tee and a 3-hybrid to the lay-up area works just fine.)

Why "upgrade" from the Mini to the OO? I don't know yet. We'll have to see if the distinctions--larger head, speed pocket, twist face--are distinctions that make a difference. If so, I'll be tempted to re-shaft my TSi3 driver to something shorter. I hit it far enough as it is; more accuracy is what I'm aiming for.

Put this, my 3rd generation TM Mini Driver, in play yesterday. It is a fairway seeker, even more accurate than my OO. And it's longer, too. In fact, I'm struggling to think of when I'd hit the driver. I did on a few holes--a long Par-4 and a drivable Par-4 come to mind. But on a 3-shot Par-5, I took the Mini and hit it deep.

I love it. The OO is done.

I got a range session with this yesterday.  I was working on some things and swinging well; I had a lesson the previous day.  My personal keys are staying over the ball (I am inflexible and when I turn, I sometimes move away from the ball; lifting the club as I turn to properly coil over the ball, gathering at the top, and driving off the back foot).  

The Mini 300 was set to 11.5 (lowest setting on the 13.5) with a stock 65g stiff shaft.  I have never had a smoother range session.  Something about the lower tee height and shorter shaft (and possibly pogo stiff flex) meant that I had to be smooth and controlled.  I was using distance-limited range balls and still carrying 230, rolling out to 250.   Something about it just works as a fairway finder, especially as my swing can get steep and the higher typical ball placement on a driver can be problematic.  

As my "control", I hit my D3 weighted SIM2 w/Ventus 7X.  I was also hitting it exceptionally well, but still had some decent misses.  Distance was consistently 10-20 yards past the 300.  But I had some bigger misses: too quick at the top and not relaxed enough meant I could end up with a big pull or big miss right.  I just didn't have the "misses" with my 300.  

Question though: is this a result of the driver, shorter length, or softer shaft? I can't "go at" the 65S shaft like I can the 7X.  43.75" is a pretty big difference as well compared to 44.75".  

What was interesting is that my very best swings, even at 11.5" loft, on the Mini 300 matched my "perfect" swings on the SIM2.  Overall it was shorter, but I was able to sync up and get something more out of the Mini 300.  At a more reasonable loft like 10.5, it may have exceeded the SIM2.  

what was crazy is how accurate and controlled I felt with this club, given the whippy shaft.  I do find it easier to hit the ball at the lower height of the shallower-faced 300.  But I also hit a 4 wood plenty far off of the tee, so maybe those smaller faces work for me.  

It do need to find a 11.5.  This 13.5 isn't the right loft for me.  

I am definitely intrigued at this point.  Would I take 15 yards less distance to find the fairway, especially on a tighter course?  Definitely!  Boy, if I could figure out how to put this in my bag along with a regular distance driver, I would! 

7 minutes ago, Rich Douglas said:

I don't. I would have noticed it right away. It doesn't set up with either one, and doesn't produce one. I hit the same light draw I do with my driver.

Thanks. Was hopeful it was neutral. Thinking about the 13.5 turned down one notch for tight courses and short courses. 

On 10/20/2021 at 3:34 PM, getitdaily said:

Thanks. Was hopeful it was neutral. Thinking about the 13.5 turned down one notch for tight courses and short courses. 

I don't know that 1 degree will make much difference, but I think you'll find it highly playable at 12.5 or anywhere else. I remember a time when we were hitting the same size head at 9 degrees. This is way better than that!

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, tilasan1 said:

Does anyone happen to know the weight of the removable weight in the 300 mini?

I tried to check but it turns out the weight can't be removed with a regular club wrench. There's a little bit thing in the middle of the star shape that prevents you from using the standard wrench.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

I’ve been on the mini driver band wagon for awhile going back to the sldr days.  If I ever figure out hitting the driver consistently that will change because when it is on its a weapon but too often I spray balls all over the place.  The mini drivers aren’t a 3 wood replacement for my game.  Though I find them most effective when  I set up like hitting a 3 wood off the tee.  By finding more fairways and almost never any real trouble.  The mini eliminated those half dozen shots per round where the driver left me out of position to reach a green in regulation.  My scores are lower hitting a club or two more from the fairway than from out of the ruff or from behind a tree.  Glad TaylorMade has continued to make mini drivers part of their lineup.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a fantastic club it is, finally got mine to its final configuration in the fall. 11.5 degrees set up to 13.5 with a blue Accra RPG 472 tipped an inch. Carries about 275 yards (driver ~305 carry), and can work it both ways. For me, the mini is much easier to draw than a normal driver, and also it is surprisingly easy to hit off the deck. FWIW I'm a terrible fairway wood player, but hit this thing very decent.

The best part so far seems to be that they are similar enough yet different enough of the driver. If the driver is having an off day, the mini is usually working, and goes long enough that I still don't lose much advantage. Also works the other way around; if Mini is off, driver usually works. Phenomenal club, don't think it'll ever leave the bag now.

I've had mine for a couple months now, and i am still loving it.  I got the 13.5 and actually had it lofted up one setting because i was getting better dispersion that way.  But after i recently had a chance to get on a trackman, i delofted down to 12, and now lower spin and more penetrating flight.  

Still struggle sometimes to get the right tee height - I've been working on getting a more ascending attack angle, but because if the smaller head, I'm afraid to tee it too high.

I sidelined my 300 Mini after a few rounds, as I was struggling with consistency.  I do think it can be tamed, but it was too much trouble to sort out during the season.  I'll see if the weather cooperates this winter so that I can get some quality time with it out on the course to test out some shafts and such.  We'll see. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I still really like my 300 Mini as a driver replacement. Now it's heating up as summer starts the ball is flying plenty far and the way the head sets up suits the lowish left to right slider I like playing off the tee. I've always been fairly good with short irons and wedges, so having something that works off the tee has massively improved my enjoyment of the game.

Edited by sg91

10.5* TM M5 Tour - Evenflow Riptide 70

15* Mizuno ST200 - Diamana S+ 70

19* (@20*) Mizuno CLK - Tensei CK Pro 70

5-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC - Project X

50/08 & 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge - DG 120

60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore - DG TI Spinner

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Srixon Z Star

On 12/2/2021 at 12:18 PM, ScGolfer08 said:

I've been on the disabled list since July 29th, shattered my tibia! Same day I got my Mini 300 11.5 and my club builder just sent me some pics of it after MOI matching it, looks so sweet can't wait to see the numbers this thing produces...

660163648.jpg

660163641.jpg

660163631.jpg

That's a dirty combo right there

Seemore mFGP2 

On 10/19/2021 at 9:15 AM, getitdaily said:

Anyone see a particular fade/draw bias on the 13.5 head?

Yes, for me there is a pretty significant right-to-left bias -- not so much a draw spin, but a weighting issue where the head really wants to turn over and go left. I have had both heads (11.5 and 13.5) and played with one or the other all season long and hit a boatload of balls, and that tendency was always present. 

I was able to tame it, however, and actually use it to my advantage. If I wanted to protect against trouble on the right, the Mini was perfect. If there was more trouble on the left, I would use more of a power fade swing, which kept the ball neutral to slightly right flight. 

I'm struggling now to find a spot in my bag for the mini. I'm hitting driver well now, and the mini is not as versatile as a 3w from the fairway. But it was my favorite club of 2021 by far and it's so much fun to hit. Paired with a Ventus Blue 7x (and for me, cranked slightly open) it was perfect. 

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

10 minutes ago, uglande said:

Yes, for me there is a pretty significant right-to-left bias -- not so much a draw spin, but a weighting issue where the head really wants to turn over and go left. I have had both heads (11.5 and 13.5) and played with one or the other all season long and hit a boatload of balls, and that tendency was always present. 

I was able to tame it, however, and actually use it to my advantage. If I wanted to protect against trouble on the right, the Mini was perfect. If there was more trouble on the left, I would use more of a power fade swing, which kept the ball neutral to slightly right flight. 

I'm struggling now to find a spot in my bag for the mini. I'm hitting driver well now, and the mini is not as versatile as a 3w from the fairway. But it was my favorite club of 2021 by far and it's so much fun to hit. Paired with a Ventus Blue 7x (and for me, cranked slightly open) it was perfect. 

i've noticed it easier to turn over my Original One.  My assumption it has something to do with the CG being considerably closer to the shaft, just due to the difference between 275cc to 307cc and Death Star size.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

14 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

That's a dirty combo right there

Yea im hoping so too! I won't know until I'm released to play with my tibia fracture but with my AoA it should setup nicely just like my stenson frankenwood I have.  Trying it at 44 inches the shaft might be to light but just trial and error.. super excited