2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

OK, who’s played the TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver?

winegr

OK, just got my 13.5, which I outfitted with a Ventus Blue 7x and took it to the range for a first real test.

On the plus side ...

Looks: Excellent. Love the matte finish, black color, retro graphics on the sole, and the silvery metal face. Not a big fan of the head cover (the Original One was much nicer) but no biggie.

Sound/Feel: Fantastic. Just like my in-store testing. One of the best feeling clubs I have ever hit.

Speed: Wow. Ball speeds were almost identical to driver, and I'm playing the mini at stock length - 43.75"

Now the downside ... 

Direction: Struggled. Everything, regardless of setting, wanted to go left on me. Not a draw. An angry pull -- like out of bounds. I experienced a bit of this in the store with the stock shaft as well. Probably the majority of my shots were fine in terms of direction, but the ones that missed were off the planet left. What was really working at the end of the session, however, was to crank down the loft and then try to hit a power fade -- really whipping my right shoulder through impact. This produced some perfect shots with the highest speed numbers of the day. So, more experimenting needed, but at least that particular shot was working really well.

Off the Deck: Not great. Sure, it's better than you would expect, and you can pop the occasional shot pretty well. But it's inconsistent. In 80 percent of cases, I would do better by flushing my 4/5 wood. But the mini is a second tee club for me, not really a fairway wood, so I would only use it off the deck in rare circumstances. 

This was my first test, but I'll update as I get more swipes with it. So far, pretty happy with it, but need to dial in the right swing to produce more directional consistency. 

Edited by uglande
typo

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

One full round with mine so far.  Hit it from the tee 11x.  Super happy with the results.  High and long and pretty darn straight (if anything I left a few out to the right a bit).  I had the Original One and this looks better and sounds better.  Overall results are similar, though with the stock shaft, the 300 seems to launch higher.  I do have an Evenflow Black on the way (picked up on the BST) to see if I can lower the flight some (I don't really want to mess with the loft, but will if I have to).  I can usually get along okay with stiff, stock shafts (driver SS is around 95ish now), but this one does feel like it has more kick than I'm used to (I do typically like a stiffer tipped shaft....Manolo says don't be nasty).  Looking forward to the chance to hit her off the deck a few times (the opportunity never came up during Sunday's round).    

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 9* 
TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5W 18*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 

I’ve gotten to play 9 holes twice so far. I’m using it as a driver replacement and so far so good. I’m hitting the ball straighter/much more online than I’ve hit driver in the last year and it’s easier to hit off a tee than my 4 wood was; something I had started to rely on off the tee heavily. Compared to my best shots with a regular driver on the same holes I’m about 10-15 yards shorter. But in 2 nine hole rounds I haven’t hit a tee shot to a bad spot yet. I didn’t play a round with driver in the last year where I could say that. 

So for early on, I’m happy with it. And I’ll add that I really love the sound of it. 

Edited by rkillian
Typo
  • Like 2

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Odds or Evens - Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

I'm thinking one of these, at 9.5.... With an x100.... At 43.5

Stripe city

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

9 hours ago, uglande said:

OK, just got my 13.5, which I outfitted with a Ventus Blue 7x and took it to the range for a first real test.

On the plus side ...

Looks: Excellent. Love the matte finish, black color, retro graphics on the sole, and the silvery metal face. Not a big fan of the head cover (the Original One was much nicer) but no biggie.

Sound/Feel: Fantastic. Just like my in-store testing. One of the best feeling clubs I have ever hit.

Speed: Wow. Ball speeds were almost identical to driver, and I'm playing the mini at stock length - 43.75"

Now the downside ... 

Direction: Struggled. Everything, regardless of setting, wanted to go left on me. Not a draw. An angry pull -- like out of bounds. I experienced a bit of this in the store with the stock shaft as well. Probably the majority of my shots were fine in terms of direction, but the ones that missed were off the planet left. What was really working at the end of the session, however, was to crank down the loft and then try to hit a power fade -- really whipping my right shoulder through impact. This produced some perfect shots with the highest speed numbers of the day. So, more experimenting needed, but at least that particular shot was working really well.

Off the Deck: Not great. Sure, it's better than you would expect, and you can pop the occasional shot pretty well. But it's inconsistent. In 80 percent of cases, I would do better by flushing my 4/5 wood. But the mini is a second tee club for me, not really a fairway wood, so I would only use it off the deck in rare circumstances. 

This was my first test, but I'll update as I get more swipes with it. So far, pretty happy with it, but need to dial in the right swing to produce more directional consistency. 

Lighter swing weight? Making you pull?

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

8 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

Lighter swing weight? Making you pull?

Really doesn't feel like it. In fact, it feels a bit heavy. I put a 7x shaft in it, which is slightly heavier than the stock version, and I'm playing it at the full stock length of 43.75. Club head weighs 207g, so it really shouldn't be light at that length, but I haven't put it on a SW scale.

On 7/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, bladehunter said:

I just cannot imagine hitting this thing better. Just came in from a session out back.  It’s so much fun to hit .  The ventus blue would be similar I’m sure.   As would the TB 70 or 80.  I have a 70 in my driver.  It is head heavy. But I require that for an off the deck club.  I need to feel the head weight.  

I just so happen to know a guy with a TB 80tx rolling around in the bed of his truck...

• Haha 1

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

TSR2 3h w/ Ventus Blue 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58
DF3 CB

2 hours ago, Luke'sdad said:

$ 400 bills for an oversized 3 wood that you can't use from the fairway? I'll pass

Doesn't have to be an oversized 3 wood.  The 11.5° model can definitely be classified as a small headed driver.  I intend to use mine turned down two settings lower to make it effectively roughly a 10.2° driver.  I will be installing a driver length Ventus Blue Velocore 6S shaft.  The reason some of us want a driver replacement is so that we have a driver that we can work the ball with greater ease.  The 460cc/440cc drivers makes it difficult to draw and fade balls on command, at least consistently that is.  I have demo'd the 300 Mini 11.5° driver with a TM Ventus Blue 5S driver shaft as well as the stock stiff shaft and both allowed me to work the ball much better and much easier than my current gamer (Taylormade M3 440cc 9.5°).  Distance wise the 300 Mini actually had a little better numbers across the board, including overall distance and carry.

I would personally not use this driver as a 3 wood replacement.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I really don't understand the point of these clubs from a scoring standpoint.  Certainly a fun club for you and your friends.

Do you ditch the 3 wood for a course with really long par 5s.  Do you ditch the driver and 3 wood, for another wedge or gapping at the top of the bag (5-7 wood, hydbrid, driving iron, ect.)

21 hours ago, uglande said:

On the plus side ...

Now the downside ... 

What a difference a day makes. Headed back to the range for another extended session this morning. I was hitting the Mini much more consistently than yesterday, and was easily able to work it in all directions. It still has a left bias, but I was able to adjust so that it's now a powerful draw instead of a hard pull. The biggest change was that I put it in one of the flatter settings and at about 12.0 loft. I didn't have any of the hard pulls during this session.

Hit a ton of balls with the Mini and with my driver (Mizuno STZ at 45 in.). Ball speeds were very consistent with both clubs, averaging 155-158 with the mini and 160-164 with driver. So still enough distance with the mini for strong tee shots but enough separation with driver to warrant keeping both in the bag. I also generally hit straight-to-fade with the driver whereas the Mini provides the easy draw option, which is the main reason I bought it -- a second tee club that can produce a different shot shape than driver.

It did occur to me that someone could bag two mini drivers -- the 11.5 cranked down to 9.5 with the face wide open for a fade bias and the 13.5 set neutral, which is naturally draw biased (for me). I wonder how far off my numbers would be with a 9.5 mini relative to my 9.5 Mizuno driver.

Again, I have to say this: the sound and feel of this club are like nothing else I have ever hit. So much fun to swing, especially with the Ventus Blue shaft.

Edited by uglande
Typo

1 hour ago, NorCal678 said:

I really don't understand the point of these clubs from a scoring standpoint.  Certainly a fun club for you and your friends.

Do you ditch the 3 wood for a course with really long par 5s.  Do you ditch the driver and 3 wood, for another wedge or gapping at the top of the bag (5-7 wood, hydbrid, driving iron, ect.)

Not ditching a 3 wood at all. Or a 5 wood.

Mini Driver
3 Wood

5 Wood

3 Driving Iron

4-PW

52º, 56º
Putter

There's my 14 clubs.

6 minutes ago, jacobEDGE said:

A. You can use it from the fairway. That's the entire point of this club. Is that it's a small driver with the ability to hit off the deck. That's what the V-Sole is for. Watch any review of the club, and they'll be hitting it off the deck with good results.

B. You look at it as $400 for an oversized 3 wood. I look at it as driver that is $130 cheaper than the SIM line.

Facts. 

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

TSR2 3h w/ Ventus Blue 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58
DF3 CB

2 hours ago, NorCal678 said:

The experiment for me is to see if there are significant gains in accuracy for the times I play tighter golf courses in which fairway rewards you with a huge premium and anything wayward tacks on at least an extra stroke.  This is definitely not a fairway wood replacement for me and I find it very hard to believe that anyone who thinks this is a good fairway wood alternative can't yield better results with an actual fairway wood.  Of course, I have not received mine yet so it's conjecture at this point.

My build is an 11.5* on a Ventus Blue Velocore 7x and should be here Friday.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

Hit it at a PGA Superstore and liked it a lot, very solid old school feeling to it, like a "thwack" but still hot. 

I really liked how it performed when teed low, felt like I could hit controlled cuts with it all day, was still getting ~285 on mid 150's ball speed and mid 3's spin.

Edited by geesecougar2

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

5 hours ago, uglande said:

Really doesn't feel like it. In fact, it feels a bit heavy. I put a 7x shaft in it, which is slightly heavier than the stock version, and I'm playing it at the full stock length of 43.75. Club head weighs 207g, so it really shouldn't be light at that length, but I haven't put it on a SW scale.

True

Seemore mFGP2 

My 13.5 Mini arrived today and it was love at first sight.  Ordered with a no upcharge Smoke Blue RDX knowing it would likely be too low launching for me and that held true. Once I put my AD IZ in it though things really took off, and from there it was a simple manner of cranking it wide open to help with my tendency to over draw and I was looking at 148-152 ball speed, 12* of launch, 2600 spin, 233 carry 258 total distance, all with a slight push draw that was very repeatable.

Driver for me is fade biased and there is some definite overlap in distance between the two, but at the courses I play I think it's going to work out nicely to go Driver-Mini-Hybrid/5W-4 iron.  While the Mini can definitely be hit off the deck I rarely hit a 3 wood off the deck, usually opting to hit the higher lofted wood/hybrid or lay up with a long iron.

3 hours ago, NorCal678 said:

Sounds like you havent read through the threads here. While it may not be for everyone, there are plenty of reasons plenty of people bag them.

Cant remember the last course I played where I had a 3 wood  into a par 5, let alone one worth it to go for it from that far out. 

But for most of us, we find it easier to hit than a 460 with minimal to no distance loss.

Kinda the same as asking why do you need a 64* wedge, isnt 60* enough? Different strokes for different folks, not everyone needs the "standard" bag set up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seemore mFGP2 

2 hours ago, uglande said:

It did occur to me that someone could bag two mini drivers -- the 11.5 cranked down to 9.5 with the face wide open for a fade bias and the 13.5 set neutral, which is naturally draw biased (for me). I wonder how far off my numbers would be with a 9.5 mini relative to my 9.5 Mizuno driver.

That is how I played it (before getting a sim to foolishly chase distance) I had the OO Mini at 9.5 and it was a great tee club rivaling pretty much every driver I've ever had. 

The SIM is a lot longer for me, but I play it an inch longer and at 7*, so its surely costs me accuracy.

Seemore mFGP2 

I finally had the chance to hit it. 11.5 degree with stock stiff shaft. 

Feel: phenomenal. So solid, muted and great feeling. 

Shaft: too soft for flex and my swing. Not terrible, but it would be hard for me to consistently hit a variety of shots with it. 

Distance: pretty good when it came off the center and with low spin. Much shorter when the spin got up, but I was hitting straight into a stiff breeze. I have to believe it is at least 15 yards shorter than my driver. 

Trajectory: It was easy to control different trajectories. Tee it high and increase angle of attack and I could hit it really high even when set to 9.5. Or come in neutral and hit more low stingers. 

Forgiveness: it’s surprisingly forgiving. I put a few really lousy swings on it and it wasn’t as bad as expected. 

Shot variety: this is where I got a little greedy. You feel like you can hit lots of shots with this club and you can, but I became more erratic as I tried too many of them. I want to be able to hit a low cut fairway finder and a mid trajectory bullet with this in theory. I need to hone those in. I think I need a go to shot or two with this (for control)rather than thinking I can do everything with it. I am using it as a driver for tight holes, doglegs, etc. 

Loft: I probably liked it more at 11.5. when I dialed it down to a 9.5, it seemed to miss right more.  I could still elevate it easily at 9.5. 

Off the deck: I didn’t try it yet. 

If I had a strong 3 wood I really liked, not sure I would take it out for this. But for people like me who don’t click with 3 wood and could probably hit this 3-5 times a round off the tee, hoping it works. I’m optimistic, but probably will need to swap shafts. The shorter shaft certainly makes it feel more controllable vs taking a bit off a driver. 

Interested to hear more feedback as people use it more. 

4 hours ago, ckay said:

The experiment for me is to see if there are significant gains in accuracy for the times I play tighter golf courses in which fairway rewards you with a huge premium and anything wayward tacks on at least an extra stroke.  This is definitely not a fairway wood replacement for me and I find it very hard to believe that anyone who thinks this is a good fairway wood alternative can't yield better results with an actual fairway wood.  Of course, I have not received mine yet so it's conjecture at this point.

My build is an 11.5* on a Ventus Blue Velocore 7x and should be here Friday.

Post your results. Interested to hear how Velocore does with this. 

• Like 1

Mine was ordered a week ago at my home course with a TM Fuli Ventus Blue 5S.  It apparently isn't scheduled to ship until next week (29th).  UGH!!!  Well, at least this will allow time for my Fuji Ventus Blue Velocore 6S to arrive and time to install the TM shaft adapter (just waiting for it) and cure.  The shaft should be here in a day or two, by Monday at the latest.

• Like 1

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

14 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Mine was ordered a week ago at my home course with a TM Fuli Ventus Blue 5S.  It apparently isn't scheduled to ship until next week (29th).  UGH!!!  Well, at least this will allow time for my Fuji Ventus Blue Velocore 6S to arrive and time to install the TM shaft adapter (just waiting for it) and cure.  The shaft should be here in a day or two, by Monday at the latest.

I see you were too excited and already updated your signature lol

• Like 2

Seemore mFGP2 

9 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

I see you were too excited and already updated your signature lol

Yeah, I suppose I should change that back .... for now.  😂

Toying with running out and picking one up.  One of the local shops had six when I last looked.  (I'm sure it's fewer now, LOL)

It's certainly an easier purchase when you don't have to worry about shafts; I'll be plugging something else into it.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Wow. Second range session with this and you’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. This club is super fun. 

I was originally trying to swing this with a very upward angle of attack like a driver and tee it high at a low loft setting(9.5 or maybe 11.5). Results were fairly good but a bit sporadic. 

I finally set it to 13.5 with a flatter swing with little upward or downward angle of attack. Once I got in the groove and figured out a swing, I could point and shoot. Slight cuts, slight draws. High or low (more high). It wasn’t quite as long on these settings but oh so straight. 

Off the deck I had very, very good results directionally. I could hit it straight with a little fade. If I worked a bit, I could elevate it. The only issue is it comes out “squeezy” because you need to hit down and pinch it so it comes out with a little more spin and less distance but very straight. 

But I’m really loving it with this flatter swing (more fairway woodish swing and teed more medium height).  It doesn’t go as long as a driver under these settings, but it feels very controlled. To me this is a 2 wood that is very hittable off the deck if you have some speed. 

If I can translate this to the course, it should help me on a number of holes per round. Easier to hit for me than 3 wood. 

• Like 2