OK, who’s played the TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver?

winegr

Early days for me with the club, picked up the 11.5 but set to its lowest setting. Took me half a range session to find a good tee height and swing thought to get the most out it, but since doing that I have been super impressed with the accuracy. 

It is a fun club to hit, middle strikes are very rewarding but slight misses are not overly punished. Looking forward to next week when I see what it performs like under some pressure

• Like 1

Driver = Titleist TSi2 Hzrdus smoke 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

Taylormade MG2 56* and 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

18 hours ago, winegr said:

Wow. Second range session with this and you’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. This club is super fun. 

I was originally trying to swing this with a very upward angle of attack like a driver and tee it high at a low loft setting(9.5 or maybe 11.5). Results were fairly good but a bit sporadic. 

I finally set it to 13.5 with a flatter swing with little upward or downward angle of attack. Once I got in the groove and figured out a swing, I could point and shoot. Slight cuts, slight draws. High or low (more high). It wasn’t quite as long on these settings but oh so straight. 

Off the deck I had very, very good results directionally. I could hit it straight with a little fade. If I worked a bit, I could elevate it. The only issue is it comes out “squeezy” because you need to hit down and pinch it so it comes out with a little more spin and less distance but very straight. 

But I’m really loving it with this flatter swing (more fairway woodish swing and teed more medium height).  It doesn’t go as long as a driver under these settings, but it feels very controlled. To me this is a 2 wood that is very hittable off the deck if you have some speed. 

If I can translate this to the course, it should help me on a number of holes per round. Easier to hit for me than 3 wood. 

This echoes my thoughts when I went to my TM and ultimately bought the club. I struggle with AoA with my driver. "Get lessons" you say... "fix your swing", you say... believe me, I've done it. For me, a swing that waffles between neutral to a slightly negative AoA is where I always end up. Hitting a long shafted, big headed, big face driver with that inconsistent delivery and a SS in the mid-100's can lead to serious problems on the course. My mishits have the spin going through the roof, and directionally off the planet.

I teed the Mini low, swung it like a three wood, and loved the results. My ball speed was the same as with the drivers I tested, I didn't lose any distance, and my dispersion was SO much tighter. If you are already hitting up 5 degrees on your driver (Like Rick Shiels, for example), then this club probably isn't going to do much for you.

To the average weekend warrior like myself, this thing just makes for a more coherent golf game. I don't have the time or energy to manage two different full club swings. 

TaylorMade Mini 300

Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Callaway Mavrik 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

2 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

Damn, now y'all got me nervous. My AoA with a driver is around 4-4.5º up. 

And my AoA with the 3-wood off a tee is around 1º up.

I am roughly 6* up with the driver but having the ball further back in my stance with a lower tee peg has helped me with the mini driver, was trial end error on the range until I worked out what worked best for me 

• Like 1

Driver = Titleist TSi2 Hzrdus smoke 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

Taylormade MG2 56* and 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

I'll just leave this here for you guys to seethe or enjoy:

Cobra F8+ 9° XCaliber 6+ S 45” //  Cobra F8 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43.25” //  Cobra F7 18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” // Srixon Z565 3-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite The Bean 34" Super Stroke 2.0XL+//  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I took mine out for the first round on the course today.  I had previously hit around 40 range balls and that went well.

I wasn’t swinging well today as I have an injury but I saw enough to know that for this mid-capper, the club is an absolute star.  It was more consistent than my driver and there were not many holes where a good drive would have put me in a better place.  Ok it only worked once off the fairway,  but to be honest I didn’t buy it for that.

I think for a pro like Rick Sheils it is sometimes hard to understand the amateur game.  Actually the longer larger head on a driver makes it feel like I have to do a “driver swing” but the shorter shaft and smaller head mean i played this pretty well as a fairway wood.  But it was a long fairway wood.  

I need a few more rounds with it but I am playing twice in the next couple of days and intend to keep it in the bag. The driver will be sitting in the back up bag.

Callaway Mavrik Max Driver
Cobra Speedzone fairway
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Callaway 56 and 60 PM grind 2.0
PXG Operator putter

Callaway Chrome Soft balls

10 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

I'll just leave this here for you guys to seethe or enjoy:

I just saw the video.  First thing is you cannot make a comparison between a full length shafted driver compared to a 300 Mini without having the same length shaft in the 300 Mini.   Of course the 300 Mini will be shorter.  Second thing is that the loft may have to be turned down below 11 degrees for a fair comparison as well.  

My personal feeling is the 300 Mini is not a hybrid 3 wood.  To me it's strictly a driver replacement.  The testing I did with the loft turned lower than 11 degrees and with a 45" driver shaft showed that the 300 Mini (on good strikes) was as long as my M3.  In addition to the distance being very close I was able to work the ball (both directions) with greater ease than my M3.  

Most of the criticism of this driver comes from those who are trying to compare apples to apples in terms of driver with stock shafts.  Not a fair comparison at all.  Also, a lot of people are criticizing the 300 Mini without even so much as seeing one or demoing one.  Pretty presumptuous, don't you think?   At the end of the day I want my swing honed to be fundamentally good and repeatable.  I do not want a club to mask a swing that is poor in fundamentals or path.  I generally hit the ball close to the center of the face on my M3 and did so with the 300 Mini.  The ability to shape shots and a driver that is much easier to hit makes this driver so appealing to me.  I'm not PGA Tour caliber, I'm not Senior PGA Tour caliber, and I'm certainly not real tournament amateur caliber.  I am an average Joe amateur who is looking for a driver that will result in more consistency and more fairways.  I look forward to playing some of the long bombers hitting from the fairway a few yards back while the bombers are trying to figure out how to recover from the junk they just drove into.  😁

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 3

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.8°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade 3-E, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°(bent to 52°) / 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

8 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

I just saw the video.  First thing is you cannot make a comparison between a full length shafted driver compared to a 300 Mini without having the same length shaft in the 300 Mini.   Of course the 300 Mini will be shorter.  Second thing is that the loft may have to be turned down below 11 degrees for a fair comparison as well.  

My personal feeling is the 300 Mini is not a hybrid 3 wood.  To me it's strictly a driver replacement.  The testing I did with the loft turned lower than 11 degrees and with a 45" driver shaft showed that the 300 Mini was as long as my M3 on good strikes.  In addition to the distance being very close I was able to work the ball (both directions) with greater ease than my M3.  

Most of the criticism of this driver comes from those who are trying to compare apples to apples in terms of driver with stock shafts.  Not a fair comparison at all.  Also, a lot of people are criticizing the 300 Mini without even so much as seeing one or demoing one.  Pretty presumptuous, don't you think?   At the end of the day I want my swing honed to be fundamentally good and repeatable.  I do not want a club to mask a swing that is poor in fundamentals or path.  I generally hit the ball close to the center of the face on my M3 and did so with the 300 Mini.  The ability to shape shots and a driver that is much easier to hit makes this driver so appealing to me.  I'm not PGA Tour caliber, I'm not Senior PGA Tour caliber, and I'm certainly not real tournament amateur caliber.  I am an average Joe amateur who is looking for a driver that will result in more consistency and more fairways.  I look forward to playing some of the long bombers hitting from the fairway a few yards back while the bombers are trying to figure out how to recover from the junk they just drove into.  😁

Rick might be disappointed to read your comments, as supposedly he spent weeks testing the club, GCQuad, pouring over figures and definitely not going into this with a closed mind - quite different to what appears an hour or so's effort for the video.

I enjoy his stuff - good fun.

Cobra F8+ 9° XCaliber 6+ S 45” //  Cobra F8 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43.25” //  Cobra F7 18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” // Srixon Z565 3-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite The Bean 34" Super Stroke 2.0XL+//  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

6 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Rick might be disappointed to read your comments, as supposedly he spent weeks testing the club, GCQuad, pouring over figures and definitely not going into this with a closed mind - quite different to what appears an hour or so's effort for the video.

I enjoy his stuff - good fun.

I don't discount Rick but I'm not Rick.  I don't play the game on his level nor does he mine.  I doubt he's hit that driver for weeks either.  Probably a couple days or so.  That said, I don't discount his assessment but I'm not utilizing the driver as has either.  Apples and oranges comparison.  

Opinions are like ...... .   You get the idea.  We all have them, especially here on GolfWRX.  Too many people know everything about everyone's game.  Well I don't pretend to.  I know my game, what I prefer in equipment and what works for me.  My opinions are solely based on what works for me and nothing else.  The 300 Mini is the type of driver I have been wanting for quite some time.  Now I can see whether this works or not.  When mine comes in I'll do extensive testing and we'll see if the performance equates to better scoring or not.  

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 4

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°(bent to 52°) / 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

12 hours ago, PhilWhitUK said:

I think for a pro like Rick Sheils it is sometimes hard to understand the amateur game.  

Rick Sheils shoots in the 80's. He may technically be a "pro", because he has taken money for giving lessons and as such no longer is eligible for amateur competition, but his game is more similar to that of an amateur than a playing professional.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I had another range outing today. Still haven’t been on the course. I think I found a swing that works well. It’s a little shorter swing with stable lower body. More 3 wood like. Before that I pulled a few hard left hooks when I tried to swing hard turning thru. 

I hit exclusively in 13.5 but thinking next time I may dabble down to 11.5 to try that again. 

Once I got in a groove: 

- easy to swing

- A solid carry distance: maybe 240 to 255. Still short of driver. But partly may be function of the weaker shaft versus my driver Velocore. But I did nut one or two that carried a long way. 
- Most good hits were in the 158 ball speed range. Driver probably would be 5ish higher(sub 165 typically), but lower spin and fair amount longer. 

- Mostly successful with the shorter swing of hitting it high and straight. When I got in a groove it seemed very easy to hit straight. 

For low handicaps or people who hit their 3 woods great, I may agree with Rick Shiels. But I will almost assuredly have more confidence to hit this straight than a driver so I think it will be a good club for me. I see it staying in the bag for quite some times personally if I can translate any of the range to the course. I may need to try some other shafts to lower spin a bit. 

18 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Rick Sheils shoots in the 80's. He may technically be a "pro", because he has taken money for giving lessons and as such no longer is eligible for amateur competition, but his game is more similar to that of an amateur than a playing professional.

He’s a +1.8 if he’s reporting accurately. 

I knew Sheils wouldn’t like this club and that’s fine with me. It may not work for him. Just like I’m sure it won’t be best for a lot of golfwrx’ers. That’s also fine. 

So far it’s working for me as a driver replacement. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 Project X Even Flow Riptide 60s

Callaway Mavrik 4W 16.5* Project X Even Flow Riptide 70s

Callaway Super Hybrid 20*  Tensei Pro Orange 80s

Titleist 818H1 23* - Fuji Atmos Black TS 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6- AW TT Elevate  105s

Vokey SM8 52.08F @53 S200

Vokey SM7 58.12D S200

2021 Ping Kushin 4

Srixon Z-Star/Z Star XV

6 minutes ago, winegr said:

Rick Shiels has  at least one video posted of him on a golf course shooting worse than 80. Also, he's competed in tournaments recording score (s) worse than 80. When Mark Crossfield posts on course videos he shoots 80 or worse. The same is true for the pair doing TXG videos. Basically the You Tube videos guys are club reviewers, club fitters, club salesmen etc.. . Remember, launch monitor golf has little in common with actually playing shots on a golf courses and, or, shooting low scores.

36 minutes ago, rkillian said:

So far it’s working for me as a driver replacement. 

300CC head size 43.5" to 44" shafted clubs are relatively easy to swing and play. I don't consider this to be a "driver replacement" or a "3-wood alternative". It's a driver, period. It's great  that TM is continuing with this concept and it would be sensational if  Ping, Titleist, Cobra etc... all did the same.

1 minute ago, Fairway14 said:

300CC head size 43.5" to 44" shafted clubs are relatively easy to swing and play. I don't consider this to be a "driver replacement" or a "3-wood alternative". It's a driver, period. It's great  that TM is continuing with this concept and it would be sensational if  Ping, Titleist, Cobra etc... all did the same.

Why is it a driver?  Plays more like a 2 wood to me. 

1 minute ago, winegr said:

Why is it a driver?  Plays more like a 2 wood to me. 

Are you referring to the 11* to 14* lofts ? I think this is because Callaway and TM don't want to compete with 460 CC driver sales.  So, they released these 300CC heads with only high lofts and tried to market it as "3-wood replacement"  or "alternative driver". It would be ideal if companies came out with 300CC size head , 43" to 44" shaft length drivers with lofts of 9* and 10* , high quality shafts etc...Hopefully if the TM 300 sells well lower lofts and more shafts will be available for future generations. 

7 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Are you referring to the 11* to 14* lofts ? I think this is because Callaway and TM don't want to compete with 460 CC driver sales.  So, they released these 300CC heads with only high lofts and tried to market it as "3-wood replacement"  or "alternative driver". It would be ideal if companies came out with 300CC size head , 43" to 44" shaft length drivers with lofts of 9* and 10* , high quality shafts etc...Hopefully if the TM 300 sells well lower lofts and more shafts will be available for future generations. 

My intention, based on my testing of the course demo at 11.5 degrees, is to lower the loft to either 10.8 degrees (one setting lower) or 10.1 degrees (two settings lower) and use a driver length shaft and use it as my driver.  I definitely don't think the 300 Mini is an effective alternative 3 wood.  

12 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

My intention, based on my testing of the course demo at 11.5 degrees, is to lower the loft to either 10.8 degrees (one setting lower) or 10.1 degrees (two settings lower) and use a driver length shaft and use it as my driver.  I definitely don't think the 300 Mini is an effective alternative 3 wood.  

If you rarely intend to hit off the deck?  Why not?  To me, it’s never going to replace my driver, but i like it as a strong 3 wood for tight holes, dogleg, shorter holes. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, winegr said:

If you rarely intend to hit off the deck?  Why not?  To me, it’s never going to replace my driver, but i like it as a strong 3 wood for tight holes, dogleg, shorter holes. 

I might but since I am intending to use this as a driver replacement, so I believe, I will have the lofts turned down.  Once I am happy with the settings as a driver I will definitely try it off the deck to see what happens.  As it is right now, I am ok hitting my 3 wood off the deck and distances are good.  Of course I am much better hitting the 3 wood off the deck at the driving range (grass surface) than on the course.  If I ever can find the magic formula in taking my range sessions to the course I really might end up scoring really well.

I reckon it's a perfect club for anyone who has ever said one or more of the following:

a) "I wish my driver were smaller and less forgiving"

b) "I wish my 3-wood were bigger and harder to hit off the deck"

c) "I wish I had more clubs in my bag that cost $400"

I do understand that some people need to use equipment that makes golf as challenging as possible because they find it too easy otherwise.

And once you've spent $550 on a driver and another $500 or so on a Scotty there's it gets tricky to keep your cost-per-club up there if you just buy plain old $300 fairway woods. 

• Haha 1

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

2 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I reckon it's a perfect club for anyone who has ever said one or more of the following:

I do understand that some people need to use equipment that makes golf as challenging as possible because they find it too easy otherwise.

And once you've spent $550 on a driver and another $500 or so on a Scotty there's it gets tricky to keep your cost-per-club up there if you just buy plain old $300 fairway woods. 

I posted my fitting data elsewhere on the forum, but the gist is that I hit the Mini better than my driver. Better as in further and straighter. It's an easier to hit driver for me. The combination of the shorter shaft and shallower face works better with my swing, and probably a lot of people's swings. It absolutely does not make the game harder for me.

A shorter shaft on a regular sized driver head gets halfway to what I need, but you still have to tee the ball up high. I hate teeing the ball up high. It messes with my head.

You would think that if 460 cc driver heads and 45.5 inch driver shafts made the game so much easier, and knowing how important the driver is to scoring, amateurs would be way better now than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago. I don't think that's happened.

• Like 3

TaylorMade Mini 300

Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Callaway Mavrik 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

Of all of the people on YouTube that review clubs the only one who I actually put value in is Alex Etches. It isn't that I don't appreciate everyone else's videos but Alex has swing characteristics very similar to mine. I like the TXG videos, and Matt has a similar swing speed, but completely different angle of attack.

For Alex, specifically to the 300 mini, He's the only one to crank it down to 9.5 degrees and go after it. Which is how I used the OO mini.

I can't ever get a good feel of how a club will work for me off of everyone else's videos, but I can from his.

Edited by PixlPutterman
  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° - Fujikura Pro 53k X

TaylorMade SLDR 17° - Red Tie 70x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X
Cleveland Zipcore 50°/54°/62° - Tour S400
Mack Made Custom - KBS One Step
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

35 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Have you hit one yet?  If you have asked and answered.  If you haven't it would be interesting to know how you feel once you have.  

46 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

The combination of the shorter shaft and shallower face works better with my swing, and probably a lot of people's swings. It absolutely does not make the game harder for me.

Truth, truth.

3 hours ago, winegr said:

He admitted on a recent podcast that he’s nowhere near that, in part because he doesn’t play/practice much. 

TM Sim Ventus Blue 6x || TM 300 Mini Ventus Blue 7x || TM Sim2 5w Ventus Blue 7x || Mizuno Mp20 4-9 Modus 120 || Vokey Sm8 46f 50f 54d 60d Modus 120 || Ping Tyne 4 || Titleist Pro V1 || Golf Pride CP2 Wrap/Pro

5 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I don't discount Rick but I'm not Rick.  I don't play the game on his level nor does he mine.  I doubt he's hit that driver for weeks either.  Probably a couple days or so.  That said, I don't discount his assessment but I'm not utilizing the driver as has either.  Apples and oranges comparison.  

Opinions are like ...... .   You get the idea.  We all have them, especially here on GolfWRX.  Too many people know everything about everyone's game.  Well I don't pretend to.  I know my game, what I prefer in equipment and what works for me.  My opinions are solely based on what works for me and nothing else.  The 300 Mini is the type of driver I have been wanting for quite some time.  Now I can see whether this works or not.  When mine comes in I'll do extensive testing and we'll see if the performance equates to better scoring or not.  

I was joking with my post - Rick's prep was more likely 10 minutes planning and an hour hitting & filming.

I find his content almost always entertaining and sometimes informative. He has an engaging personality and apparently is a very sensitive lover.

• Haha 1