2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Getting ready to cut cable. How do you watch golf?

getitdaily

We haven't had "cable" in probably 10+ years at my house. The first thing you'll want to to is purchase an HD antenna ($20-30 on amazon). This will help your tv pick up the main national channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) live in HD.

Aside from that, if you're wanting something like The Golf Channel to watch weekday coverage you'll need to go with a streaming service (Hulu Live, YouTube TV, Sling, etc.). Those will run you anywhere from $30-75 / month, and will let you record shows similar to a DVR.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 2

Hulu Live for GC as someone mentioned, stream CBS live, NBC Sports, etc. Can be way cheaper than cable, that being said, you add in Disney +, HBO max, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, and it can start to add up...

M

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

6 minutes ago, physasst said:

Hulu Live for GC as someone mentioned, stream CBS live, NBC Sports, etc. Can be way cheaper than cable, that being said, you add in Disney +, HBO max, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, and it can start to add up...

M

Been using Hulu for a couple years.  It works fine but software buggy.  Cost is getting goofy - use to cost $45, now $60 with live TV and no other add ons.

Handicap:  3

Youtube TV..  Got everything I want which includes Golf Channel..

It might be little more expensive.. but I've had no issues.. you can also watch on 3 concurrent devices ( TV, Phone, Tablet, Computer)..  It also includes DVR option that is recorded on the server.. so you can use any devices to watch saved shows..

• Like 2

How fast of an internet connection do you need for these streaming services to work well?  I live in rural KY and then you turn left and go a little farther off the cut.  I don't have home internet, only what we get on our phones.  Currently TV is Dish Network but hate the cost and lack of sports programming.  Would love to get GC for the ET and early round PGA coverage.

Golf channel and a lot of extras on Sling for $50 a month.  Also can cast from the computer or phone to Roku for internet coverage events that are free like The Masters and US Open.

You should be able to use your phone as a hotspot for 1080p display on a tv.

On a side note:  When I called Direct TV to cancel they immediately offered a year of service at $50 a month and a $400 visa card just to stay with them.  You could call your provider and ask what they can offer for you to stay with them.

Edit:  Our Roku usually only picks up 3-5 meg via wifi and displays 1080p just fine.  For us internet speeds vary from the 30 meg we are supposed to get. 

Once 5g is established for home internet in our area we going to it.  Currently on fiber.

Edited by bekgolf

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

When the pandemic shut down sports I figured that was a good time to finally ditch traditional cable TV services. Plus my whole setup is based around a cablecard tuner and Windows Media Center which was getting more difficult to maintain after Microsoft abandoned it.

So when golf restarted I initially just went with PGA Tour Live and then watched the weekend coverage on CBS/NBC using the good ol' HD antenna. I'm lucky to be able to get really good HD signals for all the major networks. And I also have the ability to stream CBS via either the CBS sports app or Paramount Plus. I missed having the Golf Channel around but not a whole lot.

The when more sports came back I went with YouTube TV, it's just fine and eventually got used to the different interface than traditional TV. Problem is with the streaming services, they treat the GC as different than other sports channels. So if you want both ESPN and GC, then you usually have to bump up to their most expensive tier. Same thing was true on cable of course. Then I shut that off once college hoops was done.

Right now I'm on Sling and don't have the ESPN side since there's nothing really on there I need as I'm not a baseball fan. They were running a deal where the first month was only $10 so I decided to try them out. This fall when football is back I'll probably either upgrade Sling or go back to YTTV.

Edited by jdl

3 hours ago, smashdn said:

How fast of an internet connection do you need for these streaming services to work well?  I live in rural KY and then you turn left and go a little farther off the cut.  I don't have home internet, only what we get on our phones.  Currently TV is Dish Network but hate the cost and lack of sports programming.  Would love to get GC for the ET and early round PGA coverage.

We have fiber internet so obviously no issues with speeds at our house, but I have watched Hulu Live on my phone before using 4G. 

FYI live streaming uses a ton of data, and I mean A TON...

Personally, I wouldn't use it on a phone unless you have an unlimited data plan with zero restrictions (i.e., not AT&T who will slow you down once you use a certain amount), or unless you are connected to wifi. Otherwise you'll use up all your whole data allotment within a day or two of streaming. 

I forgot to add for anyone who's cutting cable or satellite tv be sure to check out Pluto. 

It's a free streaming service with most of what you would see on cable/sat tv.  They have commercials and the shows are a few years old but it's really something imo.  Currently watching an older Dual Survival on their version of "Travel".

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Cable

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 7/12/2021 at 7:12 AM, smashdn said:

On 7/12/2021 at 10:29 AM, Abh159 said:

We have fiber internet so obviously no issues with speeds at our house, but I have watched Hulu Live on my phone before using 4G. 

FYI live streaming uses a ton of data, and I mean A TON...

Personally, I wouldn't use it on a phone unless you have an unlimited data plan with zero restrictions (i.e., not AT&T who will slow you down once you use a certain amount), or unless you are connected to wifi. Otherwise you'll use up all your whole data allotment within a day or two of streaming. 

Yeah, the issue with streaming isn't the speed; it's the total data usage. A typical 1080p stream is only about 5Mbps compressed, so as long as you have a decent broadband of 20-30 Mbps for margin and other use, which is slow by today's broadband standards, you're fine.

Mobile is a problem unless as stated you're both on an unlimited plan and one which won't throttle your connection when you go past some predetermined monthly data usage. As an example, a lot of mobile data plans will start throttling after 5GB-50GB data per month. I average on my home connection anywhere between 400 and 700 GB of data per month. Part of that is WFH, but a very big part of it is streaming. 

So sadly, you're probably out of luck for streaming. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Youtube TV is basically cable. Make sure if you have good internet speed with any streaming and if you are watching alot enough TB so you don't go over your data. Most people have no clue there is a limit to data on home internet plans. Plus if you have multiple homes you take it with you from house to house. It is also like cable where they got us all hooked at 45 dollarish and slowly are raising the cost.

I have Hulu live and enjoy it. It gets all the golf content I need.

just a warning on Hulu live is it is not a traditional DVR. You can record shows but it does not let you fast forward through commercials which is VERY lame.

ive heard YouTube and sling are better in this aspect

Edited by CCTxGolf

YouTube TV

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I have dish , prime video and YouTube TV.  I don’t honestly see any real savings from one to the other.  I mean you might save $20 a month , but you’re not getting the exact same thing.  I also have a digital antenna.  For when the satellite goes out.  

all that and every single stinking time that a major or non tour event comes up I have to jump through hoops or pay a subscription to see early coverage.  So again. No savings . You’re still paying to play.  

if I were lucky enough to have cable TV on my road , I could likely bundle internet and cable for same money I pay now for satellite. I still have to keep a landline phone in order to have internet at home.  

I think it boils down to what you have available, your internet service ( mine is windstream) and how much TV you watch.  If you’re never at home. Sure.  If you are home 24/7 eh... streaming is too hit or miss for my taste , and DVR has become a must.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

YouTube TV. Comes with Golf Channel, and I get all my local channels for the major networks. Only been doing it for a few months now, but I love it. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

FYI to all:

- AT&T new Unlimited Elite 5G Mobile phone plan has unlimited data streaming no throttling, with 50gb hotspot, unlimited minutes & texts  for $85

- t mobile magenta max 5G same as ATT. Hotspot may vary 

- Verizon 5G home Internet (go to Verizon.com to see if it’d available at your address) is $70 ($50 for existing customers) that is unlimited data no throttling. Speeds are anywhere from 50mb-2,500mb. Yes, as fast as fiber quite often. this would replace your dsl/cable modem, and could be hooked up to your existing WiFi router, or you can use the built in WiFi. No contract, no equipment rental fees, no nonsense. 

Another Youtube TV user.  Had Hulu, but they started to drop some local channels, and even though we have an antennae we could get them through, just thought it was a pain.  The streaming services do add and drop channels from time-to-time, but the great thing about them is you can drop them any time and go with someone else (though you might be obligated to pay through the month).

And another customer’s money goes from DirecTV to google. I’m tellin ya, I did this. Cut DirectV and went YouTubeTV.. and with the equipment that you pay for and update, and the add ons.. Spotify.. etc. No one is saving $$. The cooperate world would never allow that to happen. Our money is separated from our pockets more now than ever and the cooperate world isn’t looking to reverse that catastrophe once bit.  

Sorry! You watch golf with whatever streaming service you prefer, that has GC. Then you add the apps: Peacock, NBC Sports Gold Live, CBS Sports, ESPN+

• Like 1

The majors all have their own website and offer free streaming for generally one or two featured groups or a set of holes. It is not as good as getting to watch the entire fields, but at least it is live and you do get to see the real-time leaderboards as well. As for regular tournaments, you have to have a subscription to streaming service or watch the highlight clips after on youtube. 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:10 PM, OBbogey5 said:

And another customer’s money goes from DirecTV to google. I’m tellin ya, I did this. Cut DirectV and went YouTubeTV.. and with the equipment that you pay for and update, and the add ons.. Spotify.. etc. No one is saving $$. The cooperate world would never allow that to happen. Our money is separated from our pockets more now than ever and the cooperate world isn’t looking to reverse that catastrophe once bit.  

Sorry! You watch golf with whatever streaming service you prefer, that has GC. Then you add the apps: Peacock, NBC Sports Gold Live, CBS Sports, ESPN+

Seems like someone finally said it......

On 7/12/2021 at 8:09 AM, Abh159 said:

We haven't had "cable" in probably 10+ years at my house. The first thing you'll want to to is purchase an HD antenna ($20-30 on amazon). This will help your tv pick up the main national channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) live in HD.

Aside from that, if you're wanting something like The Golf Channel to watch weekday coverage you'll need to go with a streaming service (Hulu Live, YouTube TV, Sling, etc.). Those will run you anywhere from $30-75 / month, and will let you record shows similar to a DVR.

If you don't get good HD antenna reception, I highly recommend the Locast app (https://www.locast.org/). It's free with ads, or only $5/mo ($60/yr) to have the ads removed. It's basically a rebroadcast of everything you can get on an antenna in your region, with a basic channel guide functionality. No DVR, On Demand, or other bells & whistles, but lots of the major sporting events are available. Super Bowl, NBA Finals (ABC), MLB (Fox), NFL/college football, NCAA Final 4, Olympics, and the Saturday/Sunday golf broadcasts that would normally be on the major networks. All of the weekend coverage of the golf majors and big tournaments are shown.  Also good if you want to watch local news, late night talk shows, SNL, network game shows, etc.  I'd estimate that I watch 6-8 hours/week on Locast, so it's easily worth $5/month for me. The app is available on your phone or a device like a Roku, FireTV, Apple TV, etc.

My kids watch mostly Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu, so I couldn't really justify an extra $50/month just for me to watch sports. Locast gets me about 90% of what I need, and I borrow a family member's xfinity streaming password once or twice a month for some of the stuff that shows on ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc. I usually turn on SlingTV (Orange only) for a month in March for NCAA conference basketball tournaments and March Madness. 

Edited by Mych
  • Thanks 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8