2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Miura CB 301, anyone playing these?

LYG

On 7/12/2021 at 2:44 PM, Barracuda said:

301CB is one of my gamers, Honma tr21X is the other.

301 is the best single piece forged iron I ever played. I like some offset, and although my index is under 1, I can still use the forgiveness.

I just ordered the new fourteen tb5 to toy around, but you can't go wrong with the Miuras.

would love to hear how the TB-5 compares. Been looking at both those and the new TC-7 they just released.  

22 hours ago, K13 said:

would love to hear how the TB-5 compares. Been looking at both those and the new TC-7 they just released.  

I just got my tb5 on Friday. If you are expecting a bladish design, this is not it. Head size is very similar to 301. TC7 should be more compact. 

I only hit some shots on my GCQuad. Numbers are great, I really like the feel of fourteen irons. 

I'm not looking to replace my Miuras, I really love them, but I think the tb5 are keepers.

• Thanks 1

I have the previous generation to the 301's, the Miura Passing Point Straight Necks, and they are considerably longer likely due to stronger lofts!

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, so I am I normally shoot about 85-95 I know that's a broad range. I am currently gaming Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons with NS Pro950 gh HT stiff shafts but was actually looking at switching out to the Miura CB-301. Has anyone here had experience with the CB-301 and could share their thoughts please? I tend to hit the jpx900 forged lower launch/flight and lower spin and looking for something higher launching, more spin, and a bit more forgiveness but still keeping that soft forged feel. I also noticed my turf interaction with the jpx900 forged wasn't the greatest either. I tried the Srixon zx5 based on how many raved about it and good reviews it got but the feel just wasn't the same but I did like the extra fogginess it gave. How does the Miura CB-301 compare to JPX900 forged in terms of forgiveness?

I was looking/thinking about the Miura CB-301 with NS Pro950 NEO shafts?

Thanks guys, I would really appreciate your guys feedback

@K-Hook I picked up the 301’s in March and love them. Great combination of forgiveness and pure feel. I tested them on grass against the T100s, 921 Forged/Tour and Srixon 5/7 and the turf interaction was much better for me with the Miura’s resulting in better strike, distance and forgiveness. Tested them all with the same shaft so that wasn’t a variable. Couldn’t be happier with them. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 4:18 AM, JPS_17 said:

@K-Hook I picked up the 301’s in March and love them. Great combination of forgiveness and pure feel. I tested them on grass against the T100s, 921 Forged/Tour and Srixon 5/7 and the turf interaction was much better for me with the Miura’s resulting in better strike, distance and forgiveness. Tested them all with the same shaft so that wasn’t a variable. Couldn’t be happier with them. 

That's awesome. So I was really considering the Miura CB-301 and then I actually tried and pulled the trigger on the new Epon AF-506. I would say the Miura feel is definitely slightly better feeling and distance control front to back I think more consistent as well if your a good ball striker but the Epon was just much more forgiving for me personally and more consistent with a slightly bigger profile and sole compared to the Miura. I hope down the line or after this set I will be good enough ball striker to move into a nice set of Miura(love the back story and history of the brand). The Epon also is a 1 piece forged so that right away eliminated the Srixon for me and probably just the same amount of forgiveness if not slightly more than the Zx5. Also the Epon looks like to have good turf interaction as well. I pick them up tomorrow and can't wait to get em out on the course for some rounds hopefully next week. Safe to say though, JDM is where it's at if you get a chance to try some. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 12:30 AM, K-Hook said:

That's awesome. So I was really considering the Miura CB-301 and then I actually tried and pulled the trigger on the new Epon AF-506. I would say the Miura feel is definitely slightly better feeling and distance control front to back I think more consistent as well if your a good ball striker but the Epon was just much more forgiving for me personally and more consistent with a slightly bigger profile and sole compared to the Miura. I hope down the line or after this set I will be good enough ball striker to move into a nice set of Miura(love the back story and history of the brand). The Epon also is a 1 piece forged so that right away eliminated the Srixon for me and probably just the same amount of forgiveness if not slightly more than the Zx5. Also the Epon looks like to have good turf interaction as well. I pick them up tomorrow and can't wait to get em out on the course for some rounds hopefully next week. Safe to say though, JDM is where it's at if you get a chance to try some. 

Hi K-Hood, I am considering/thinking about Epon AF506. Do you mind to share your experience with Epon AF506? What do you like about AF506 in Accuracy and distance wise?

Thanks,

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rian said:

Hi K-Hood, I am considering/thinking about Epon AF506. Do you mind to share your experience with Epon AF506? What do you like about AF506 in Accuracy and distance wise?

Thanks,

Sure, so I got my new Epon AF506 had 1 quick range session and took them out on the course. Previously my best score was a 84. It took me the first front nine to get adjusted to the distances as I am about 1 club longer now than what I was with my mizuno jpx900 forged but the lofts are identical. I ended up shooting a new best 81 which was unreal and level par 36 on the back nine. Yes my putting was good this day but the ability and confidence to hit the greens or get it close was a great feeling. These feel better than my mizunos, more forgiving, higher launch which I was looking for, better turf interaction, and better spin. Ball comes off the face hot but still super soft and thin top line. Now I would say in terms of comparison to the Miura CB301 I think the front to back distance dispersion is maybe slightly better with the Miura however these Epon's go really straight and much more confidence inspiring lining up behind the ball. CB301 I think would be easier for shot shaping. But if your looking for just straight dispersion I think the Epon is better. Feeling off the face I think is softer than the Miura and a bigger sweet spot and less punishing than the Miura but I must say the Miura feeling when you catch it flush is a very unique satisfying feel. Soft yet firm, they definitely live up to the hype in that regard. But less than decent strikes with the CB301 you will feel it in your hands and lose a lot of distance. With the 506 any type of decent strike is really gratifying and consistent. I would say if your a 0-15 handicap and good ball striker the CB301 might be a slightly better option and little bit more accurate but if your like 10-20 the 506 is for sure the way to go and will not be disappointed. Obviously go try them yourself and see which one you get on with better or prefer as everyones taste and expectations are different. But I definitely won't be taking these out of the bag for a very long time. I even sold my sm8 vokey 52 wedge and ordered a Epon tour wedge s with modus 115 wedge shaft which should arrive end of this month. Ive been busy with work and haven't had a chance to get back on the course but can't wait to get back out there and really put these through the ringer, hopefully breaking 80 in the near future lol.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 8:33 PM, Barracuda said:

I just got my tb5 on Friday. If you are expecting a bladish design, this is not it. Head size is very similar to 301. TC7 should be more compact. 

I only hit some shots on my GCQuad. Numbers are great, I really like the feel of fourteen irons. 

I'm not looking to replace my Miuras, I really love them, but I think the tb5 are keepers.

Hi, I am interested in both the miura cb-301 and the fourteen tb-5 iron sets.  This is the only place that I have seen where somebody has hit both of them.  Do you have any suggestions in which one I should get.  I have improved a lot over the past few years and have always wanted a set of cb-301 irons.  I recently came across the fourteen tb-5 and also love how they look.  They are also about half the cost so if they are comparable to the cb-301 then that will probably be what I will get.  However if the cb-301 are better then I may just go ahead and spend the extra money.  How do they feel in comparison to each other.  Are they similar in size and forgiveness?  

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Been hitting the cb 301 #5 at the range lately and it’s very nice. I was hitting it next to my cb1008 #5, same shafts etc. the cb301 has a noticeable longer heel to toe length and a bit more offset. An inviting look, and impact is very solid.

I bent the cb301 weak to match the loft to the cb1008, ball flight was very similar, maybe a tad higher. Miss hits on the toe seem to have some forgiveness, retaining a descent amount of ball speed for an off center hit. Will be inteeesting to see how this wider sole with the leading edge grind interacts with the turf and the weaker lofts I bent this set too.

Edited by wely324

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 7:28 PM, wely324 said:

Been hitting the cb 301 #5 at the range lately and it’s very nice. I was hitting it next to my cb1008 #5, same shafts etc. the cb301 has a noticeable longer heel to toe length and a bit more offset. An inviting look, and impact is very solid.

I bent the cb301 weak to match the loft to the cb1008, ball flight was very similar, maybe a tad higher. Miss hits on the toe seem to have some forgiveness, retaining a descent amount of ball speed for an off center hit. Will be inteeesting to see how this wider sole with the leading edge grind interacts with the turf and the weaker lofts I bent this set too.

Sorry for the old post bump

been a while but thinking of doing the same thing, bending these weak. Did it end up working out for you?

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro