When to replace grips

I used to play and practice pretty infrequently.  I never saw any visible wear to my grips, so I just replaced them every few years or so.  That probably worked out to once every 50 rounds or so, with a handful of range sessions thrown in.  

Now I practice more days than not, and play much more frequently.  I've read you should replace grips every 40 rounds (or long practice sessions).  Honestly that would have me regripping about every 45 days.  That seems excessive.  Can I just wait until I see visible wear?  I just regripped my clubs today because my 8i looked bent due to the fact that I'd worn the grip down almost to the shaft.  I've never looked for grip wear before because I've never experienced it.  I looked at the other clubs, and only my 7i showed any visible wear.  I do practice most with mid-irons, so that makes sense.  Most of my grips were over a year old, so I went ahead and replaced them all this time, but moving forward, I'm hoping I can just regrip when I visually see wear.  Do any recreational golfers actually regrip every 40 rounds/practice sessions?  

I play 150+ rounds each year. If you marry that to range sessions at least once per week, that’s a lot of swings. My Golf Pride grips usually last an entire season. I couldn’t imagine replacing them as frequently as you’ve suggested. Do not leave your clubs in the trunk of your vehicle. Excessive heat is murder on your grips. Treat them well and they’ll serve you well. 

Usually change them around February or March every year. Didn’t this year as I hardly played last year with one thing and another. 

I would take with a pinch of salt the regularity with which companies suggest you switch them. My signature confirms that I am a big Titleist guy but there is no way that I am replacing my Vokey’s as frequently as they suggest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

One day I'll keep a set of clubs long enough to need to re-grip them.. one day. Not today, but it'll happen!

Once I tried to change grips just because I liked the look of the half black/half red Golfpride grips and to shake things up in a feeble attempt to trick myself into keeping the clubs because there was something new about them.

It didn't work.

That said - if I were to change grips, it'd be due to performance and/or safety. Not after a set period of time or visuals. If I have to alter my grip or lose confidence in my ability to hold on to the club properly mid-swing, then I'd change.

• Haha 1
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

8 hours ago, bonvivantva said:

Do any recreational golfers actually regrip every 40 rounds/practice sessions?  

I don't.  I like your idea of re-gripping upon major visible wear.  Sounds reasonable and way more pragmatic.  Also, this might be heresy, but I re-grip individual clubs as needed.  That is, I do not re-grip all at once.  Wedges, driver, and 3W get the most frequent regrips.  Long/mid irons the least.   

Independent of club type, different grips have surprisingly vastly different lifespans.  Per the above posts, the lifespan of the Golf Pride grips is impressive.  I love the Winn DriTac grips, but they don't seem to have as long as a lifespan.  However, the benefit is that I haven't had to wear a glove in years.  Not exactly a fair trade, in terms of cost, but I'll take it for now.

Thanks for the replies.  That's more or less what I was hoping to hear as a sanity check.  I keep my clubs in my garage, but it does get warm in there in the summer.  High 90s, so nothing crazy but probably not ideal.  Grip pressure is another issue.  I definitely think I'm guilty of gripping too hard.  But I've been taking lessons and really trying to implement some changes to my swing.  That has meant a lot of practice and I swing the 8, 7, and 6i the most.  I also recently got a skytrak so I've been swinging even more than usual.

The clubs I'm playing now are my dad's old clubs.  He said they'd been regripped less than a year prior to giving them to me, but the driver, 3w, and hybrid all clearly had factory original grips.  The rest of the clubs had tour velvets which I think were the regrips.  I played those grips for about 2 years or maybe just shy of that, but like I said, the 8i went from seemingly ok to down to the shaft almost overnight.  That's pretty wild because I gifted my old set to my brother-in-law recently.  I bet I have 3-4 years on those grips, which are GP CP2 Wraps.  Way less rounds and practice on those grips, but those CP2s look new.  I got GP MCC Align this time, so we'll see how that holds up.

I take a few folded up paper towels, douse them with dawn dish soap and spray of water, scrub the gripps so they are sudsy and let them sit for 5 min - rinse under warm water in the sink, and pat dry with a clean towel. Air dry over night. Dawn breaks down all the oils from your hands, and these babies will be so tacky they are as good as new. Do this once a month... and your grips are mint for a couple years. Keep in mind I play golf pride cords... not sure about softer grips like winn for example, but anything rubber based for sure.

Edited by jibbs1082
  • Like 2

I'd say that it is time to change them out when they become a distraction for you. As in, you can't fully focus on the shot you are about to take because you are thinking that the grip is too worn down.

When my grips get slick, I spend more time thinking about the grip than I do the swing I am about to make. Time to change it out.

Some grips get slick because of exposure to UV rays, Tour Velvets, or the GP multi compounds, come to mind.  Others like most Lamkin grips seem to last much longer.  

1.  Clean them with soap and water every now and then, also you can hit them with some fine grit sandpaper.  

2.  Keep them out of the sun, in your bag when not in use.  

3.  I change mine about every two years as a general rule.  

• Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid
Ping G irons
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell, Club Glove
ProV1x-mostly

There is no hard and fast rule (I've never heard of that 40 round thing - sounds a bit nutso-cuckoo, like it came directly from the marketing division of a grip company). There are too many variables.

Where do you play? What weather conditions?

Do you take care of your clubs? Leaving them in the trunk when it is 90 out, or 20 out, are both bad (had a friend that, due no garage and a small apartment just left his clubs in the trunk all the time - extreme cold is as bad as heat is).

Does your non-glove hand sweat a lot?

Do you wash them occasionally?

What kind of grips do you use? I have Lambkins on my Driver and fairway metals, Winn Dri-Tac Standard on my irons, Dri-Tac 2.0 medium sized on my wedges, and Iomic on my putter. They all wear differently.

Frequency of use? During an average round, I might use my 6 iron twice (if that). But will likely use a wedge on almost every other hole.

Anyway, basic concept? A grip is by far the cheapest part of golf. Way cheaper than shafts or clubheads. Cheaper than a dozen average balls. A grip is cheaper than some golf hats. And yet grips are the sole point of contact between you and the club. They can't really help your game much (there is no such thing as a "game improvement grip"), but if they are worn and/or not taken care of, they can damage it.

But IMO? I think you may be overthinking things just a tad. Bottom line - your hands know when grips should be changed. Grip the club lightly, and take a full swing. If a grip is compromised - material degraded (because it was left in a hot car), worn (the places where your hands grip are thinner than the rest), slippery (sweat or oils have gotten into it) ... any of these conditions will cause your hands to instinctively tighten. You'll finish your swing with your hands much tighter than the (light) grip you started with. May sound idiotic, but that's how I know when I want to change grips.

My $0.02

Titleist TSi2 10.75* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno 921 Forged, 4 - PW ~ Nippon NS PRO 950GH NEO

Vokey SM8 Slate Blue Wedge 50* 08F  ~ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Vokey SM8 Slate Blue Wedge 56* 14F  ~ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

This is why you have a 2nd and 3rd Iron Set...i just bought a blade 7i Cleveland CG1 as a spare practice iron,have spare 3wd,wedges etc for Range and to keep in the boot over Summer?

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Really depends on how much you play.  If you play and practice often, then you should replace them every year.  If less, then every 2 years. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I don't think there's a set guide.  The manufactures will tell you to replace them often cause that's how they make their money.  Once you feel they're not performing, that's when it's time.  I think I read once about Fred Couples not liking new grips so he would wear them down and use sand paper to keep them going. I'm sure some guys out there want them changed very tournament as well.  

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Steelfiber FC 

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

I go about 3 full seasons on my Crosslilnes before swapping them out. And I do keep my clubs in a hot car fairly often.

I do clean the grips with a Scotchbrite pad and Dawn a couple of times  a season.

Honestly, the grips aren't even all that worn/slick even after 3 seasons. Still playable, for sure.

Other grips don't last as long for me.

• Like 1

When they need to be replaced because they're getting slick or deteriorating. The whole "replace after X rounds" thing doesn't make much sense to me other than as an easy to message metric to move merchandise. I use Tour Velvets and if they're not left in the sun or to bake/freeze in a car trunk they last a long time. For me, at least a year with extremely heavy use and usually longer. I tend to just replace individual grips too.

On the other hand, if your hands hold the club with a death grip and somehow wearing through grips to the shaft, yea, maybe replace more frequently. 🤪

• Like 1

I generally replace grips once a year. Like others, sometime in the spring. I play 1-2 times a month year round and practice religiously.

If a grip "needs" to be replaced, at least IMO, it will feel slick and hard. You will notice a difference. I never encounter this except with my old clubs that have been out of play, or the odd used club that I purchase.

I've used mainstream grips and off-brand cheapies and all of them have worked and lasted about as much as anything else. 

I don't think there is any fast rule when it comes to the "necessity" of changing grips. I'm actually thinking about doing it just for the hell of it. New grips are like new clubs to me. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

20 hours ago, llewol007 said:

Replace them when they arent tacky any more. Usually last about a couple years. 

This response is kind of why I posted.  I could tell that my tour velvets were worn, but only the 8i and 7i has visible wear.  The 7i really only had a small wear spot where my trail hand thumb lies.  The 8i was pretty well worn down almost to to the shaft.  However, no other clubs showed any visible wear, nor could I tell anything about tackiness.  The CP2 wraps I had felt a little tacky I guess.  I also had some GP Tour Wrap 2Gs that felt pretty tacky, but I guess I never felt like the tour velvets ever felt particularly tacky.  I certainly don't think I would have ever felt them become less tacky/more slick.  I've cleaned the grips with soap and water before, but never tried sandpaper or anything.  I think I'll have a similar issue with my new grips, the MCCs.  They feel rough, but not really tacky.

17 minutes ago, bonvivantva said:

This response is kind of why I posted.  I could tell that my tour velvets were worn, but only the 8i and 7i has visible wear.  The 7i really only had a small wear spot where my trail hand thumb lies.  The 8i was pretty well worn down almost to to the shaft.  However, no other clubs showed any visible wear, nor could I tell anything about tackiness.  The CP2 wraps I had felt a little tacky I guess.  I also had some GP Tour Wrap 2Gs that felt pretty tacky, but I guess I never felt like the tour velvets ever felt particularly tacky.  I certainly don't think I would have ever felt them become less tacky/more slick.  I've cleaned the grips with soap and water before, but never tried sandpaper or anything.  I think I'll have a similar issue with my new grips, the MCCs.  They feel rough, but not really tacky.

Yes, I have replaced grips without having to replace the whole set. I usually regrip my wedges more often than my longer irons. I have settled in on grips so easier to do versus wanting to replace the whole set which can get pricey. But like I mentioned, for me, grips usually last a full season if no into two seasons. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* Hazurdous Black
Cobra F9 13.5* TP7HD 

TaylorMade SLDR 19 Motore TP Tour spec
Callaway X-CB Steelfiber 95S

Callaway Wedges Tour grind 52/58

Odyssey OG1
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness