Do I need Bigger Grips?

Newbie15

I'm new to golf and I'm playing with a set of Ping clubs with standard sized grips.  I've seen videos of how the trail hand is supposed to grip the club - with the thumb touching the pointer finger. For me, that grip causes me to have to re-grip the club at the top of my swing because the club is very loose in my hands. As a result I rest my right thumb straight down the shaft because that's the only way I can get what feels like a secure grip. I've heard that the thumb in that position is not ideal but for me its better than having to adjust my grip mid-swing.

I am thinking that larger diameter grips would be more comfortable, allow me to use less pressure in my hands and give me a more secure feel. I dont know anyone with bigger than standard grips so I can't try them out. But I did swing a driver in the aisle at Golf Galaxy that had jumbo grips and that felt so much more comfortable.

My question: is there any downside to thicker grips? Should I maybe do one club at a time and see how I like it? And input would be appreciated.

FWIW I wear X-large gloves.

Thanks

Everything you say sounds like a larger grip is what you need.

HOWEVER, the interaction between hand size, grip size and your golf swing is very individual so it's impossible to say for sure what size is going to work best. 

Still, it's worth a try. I'd really recommend finding a qualified and experienced golf coach to take a look at your grip and make suggestions after seeing you hit a few shots. There's not much in golf that's more important than getting your grip correct and fixing it as a beginner is way easier than fixing it years later.

• Like 2

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

23 minutes ago, Newbie15 said:

I'm new to golf and I'm playing with a set of Ping clubs with standard sized grips.  I've seen videos of how the trail hand is supposed to grip the club - with the thumb touching the pointer finger. For me, that grip causes me to have to re-grip the club at the top of my swing because the club is very loose in my hands. As a result I rest my right thumb straight down the shaft because that's the only way I can get what feels like a secure grip. I've heard that the thumb in that position is not ideal but for me its better than having to adjust my grip mid-swing.

I am thinking that larger diameter grips would be more comfortable, allow me to use less pressure in my hands and give me a more secure feel. I dont know anyone with bigger than standard grips so I can't try them out. But I did swing a driver in the aisle at Golf Galaxy that had jumbo grips and that felt so much more comfortable.

My question: is there any downside to thicker grips? Should I maybe do one club at a time and see how I like it? And input would be appreciated.

FWIW I wear X-large gloves.

Thanks

grip_sizing.jpg.61ee84238120b67f6da5b93badb71972.jpg

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I went to a used golf store and tried a number of 7 irons until I found one that felt right to me.  With a particular emphasis on how the grip felt.  

Also turns out it had a very low Swing Weight, which I also prefer.  I learned to play golf forty years ago and am getting back in it.

As I see it, buying new grips is expected expense if you want to play golf.  

• Like 2

When I went up from standard, I changed my 7i and driver near the end of the season, and got a feel for it before I changed out the rest of my set. Easy and fairly cheap way to try it out and see if its for you. 

• Like 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Ventus blue 6-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

TM R-11 5-PW KBS 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

You only need new grips if you find your current ones uncomfortable. Ignore all the other stuff about different sizes promoting a draw, etc. Its just about what allows you to comfortably grip the club.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

grip_sizing.jpg.61ee84238120b67f6da5b93badb71972.jpg

It took me 20 years of golf to learn this. I was working with a different instructor and when he saw my fingers digging into my hands, he asked if I'd ever tried larger grips. I'd been told by other instructors (and a buddy I played with) that it looked like I had a 'death grip' on the club.  

I put a midsize grip on a single iron and it was night and day as far as comfort/feel.  Agree with the comment above that I don't think it impacts ball flight. But for me, it made a ton of difference in being able to swing the club with the correct pressure.

• Like 2

PING G425 Max 10.5*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G425 22*
Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX 2 56*

Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Titleist ProV1x

1 minute ago, mantan said:

But for me, it made a ton of difference in being able to swing the club with the correct pressure.

That's it !

And while most models of mid size grips will increase the swing weight of the club, there are some which do not. For example, Winn Dri Tac midsize

or Dri Tac mid size LT (less taper). I consider the combination of Winn's polymer material and less taper to be the ultimate for promoting light grip pressure.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

You have X-large gloves, yes you need larger grips.  I wear ML gloves and am flirting with midsize grips these days, though standard with two wraps is my usual preference.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Rogue White 130 MSI 60X

Mizuno 15* 3w Ventus Blue 70X

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19* 3 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X

PING G425 Crossover 4i Tour 85S

Cobra King Pro MB 5-GW X100

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54*

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58*

Edel EAS 4.0

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Might be a simple solution. Measure the current grip diameters, just to make sure you can replicate in case it doesn't work . Take the two clubs and get two larger grips and try them out. At one point I had 4 different grips on my my clubs during an off season because Golf Pride discontinued a grip I used for close to 15 years. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS4 9.5 (B/1) w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6F5

3 Wood: Royal Collection 306V BBD 15* w/ Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo X

Hybrid: Fourteen 868 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM21 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM21 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM21 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Titleist PRO V1X 2020

Since your glove size is an XL, it's likely at least a mid size grip, maybe even jumbo, would fit you better than your current standard grips. But play what feels best. For example, conventional wisdom says I should play a midsize grip and I hate them so I play standard. 

People say that if a grip is too small, the golfer is likely to hook or pull the ball. I am not sure if that's true but I do believe if it's too big it's harder to release the club. 

The grip manufacturers have grip selector tools on their websites which make recommendations. These recommendations are based on your hand and sometimes finger length.

Here are a couple: 

https://www.lamkingrips.com/choosing-the-perfect-golf-grip/

https://www.golfpride.com/fit/

Ping uses this grip chart, based on hand and longest finger length, and this might be useful for you if you want to get Ping grips or you can extrapolate size to other brands too: 

Ping Golf Grip Sizes - Guide To Select The Right Grip For You

• Like 1

"I want a hamburger..no, a cheeseburger, I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake."

"You'll get nothing and like it."

Pretty safe to say you'd be better off with larger grips.  I'd suggest regripping a couple a couple irons with a midsize and a Jumbo to see what feels, works, best and then regrip the entire set with the winner.  When trying larger grips, be conscious to keep the grip more in the fingers than in your palms.  If you go too big it will feel more comfortable to hold the club more in the palms and that can have a negative impact on your wrist action.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobS said:

Pretty safe to say you'd be better off with larger grips.  I'd suggest regripping a couple a couple irons with a midsize and a Jumbo to see what feels, works, best and then regrip the entire set with the winner.  When trying larger grips, be conscious to keep the grip more in the fingers than in your palms.  If you go too big it will feel more comfortable to hold the club more in the palms and that can have a negative impact on your wrist action.

This is my plan. Thanks for all the replies.

I have one iron in my set that doesn't have the stock grip that came on them. I had tried a different grip as an experiment and hated it so it needs to come off.

I accidentally bought some oversized grips a while back and just kept them because they were cheap. I'm talking like 0.050" bigger than the typical Tour Velvet .580 on a .600 shaft. Maybe not quite Jumbo but bigger than most Midsize.

After pondering this thread, today I went and stuck one of them on that club. I'll try it at the driving range tomorrow and see how it swings. I wear a Medium glove (actually need a Medium-Large in some brands) and compared to the grips I'm used to it feel enormous. But who knows, maybe I've been missing a trick. 

I can tell from just swinging it in the back yard that my hold on the club seems VERY secure even with quite light grip pressure. Maybe it's going to be a great tension-buster! 

• Like 1

I have always felt that "stock" grips just felt too skinny. I purchased like 4 demo 7 irons, and fitted them with different grips. I ended up with the JumboMax Tour SM, and installed them on all my clubs. Played a couple rounds, but I really struggled with the weight of the grips and the feel with chipping, just didn't "feel" (feel is subjective) right. So I purchased JumboMax Xlite XS, and have 2 rounds in with them, love them great choice. So I guess what I am saying is try all the different types of shots, even if it is just chipping with a 7 iron to make sure it feels comfortable too.

18 hours ago, North Butte said:

I have one iron in my set that doesn't have the stock grip that came on them. I had tried a different grip as an experiment and hated it so it needs to come off.

I accidentally bought some oversized grips a while back and just kept them because they were cheap. I'm talking like 0.050" bigger than the typical Tour Velvet .580 on a .600 shaft. Maybe not quite Jumbo but bigger than most Midsize.

After pondering this thread, today I went and stuck one of them on that club. I'll try it at the driving range tomorrow and see how it swings. I wear a Medium glove (actually need a Medium-Large in some brands) and compared to the grips I'm used to it feel enormous. But who knows, maybe I've been missing a trick. 

I can tell from just swinging it in the back yard that my hold on the club seems VERY secure even with quite light grip pressure. Maybe it's going to be a great tension-buster! 

OK that experiment goes in the “been there, done that” pile. 

Hit three or four shots on the range with the 5-iron with oversized grip. Felt OK until impact then it was like I was just banging on something with a stick. No release, no sense of clipping the ball off the turf. 

I’m not really much of a range rat so I figured maybe I’d do a little better on the course. Nope. Used it once on a real shot I just hit a little worm-burner about 140 yards. Dropped a couple second balls and they were halfway decent but just didn’t go very far at all. 

Pretty safe to assume that oversize grips or not for me. I’ve actually had similar although not as bad results with the reduced taper grips like the Golf Pride +4’s or the Lamkin equivalent. They keep me from releasing the club and just mess up my timing. 

• Like 1

Two things:

A few years ago, I wore XL gloves. I'm 6'5", but don't have large hands for my size, but that's what I bought regardless, sorta goes with having size 14 wide feet.  Now in a flexible glove like a FJ Weathersoft, I wear Medium-Large.  They're tight when new.  And they fit great once worn a few times.  XL gloves were loose and slipped in all reality.  But they were easy to get on on and off. These don't slip like that.

I find in my pursuit for a grip size that works, it's the mid-grip diameter, and how my right hand wraps over my left hand, is really the key fitting thing.  Otherwise, that right hand is going to affecting how you grip the club at address (strong, square, weak), how you rotate the club through impact, and your feeling of whether your right hand and finger position is stable at all times.  With different taper profiles, and ways of doing partial layers of tape, it's hard to get that right.  I think a measly 0.01" in diameter is the difference between works well and works poorly there.  Every shaft diameter, grip diameter, grip taper and tape build-up method makes a difference there.

FWIW, no degree of standard grip works for me.  It's always a midsize.  Just got to figure out the taper and tape profile to get the mid grip right.  I've even tried jumbo before.  Seemed okay somewhat in the woods, but wouldn't want it in the irons/wedges.

Edited by LCP
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 4:30 AM, Bad9 said:

You only need new grips if you find your current ones uncomfortable. Ignore all the other stuff about different sizes promoting a draw, etc. Its just about what allows you to comfortably grip the club.

This is just horrible advice ...

I've tested lots of grips - actually on the course - and grips that are too small will cause the hands to roll over and move the ball left. Grips that are too big lead to the ball being blocked out to the right. (for right-handers).

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide 2.0 ES, 56*
Putter: Bettinardi iNOVAi 5.0
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

5 hours ago, Tax77 said:

Everytime I hold a midsize in my hand it feels so good, standard feels skinny. Best ball striking happens with standard. Go one club at a time.

I’ve heard other people say the same thing and it is definitely true for me. 

I have oddly proportioned hands and fingers. My fingers are kind of average length but my palms are a little longer. So I think when I keep the club down in my fingers, standard size is enough. The midsize grips are probably what I’d use if golfers held the club up in the palm. 

• Like 2

I've gone from midsize to jumbo to Jumbomax and am now back at midsize and jumbo.  

@North Butte is onto something I suspect is true.  The proportion of our hands to fingers affects how we grip the club.  Which, in turn, affects our static lie angle.  Plus, our hand and finger strength and flexibility affects how the club behaves while we swing, adding another variable to our dynamic lie angle.  Grip is such an underrated aspect of club purchasing, and it is also incredibly complex...

• Like 1