3 pc ionomer recommendations

LeoLeo99

Was playing urethane tour level balls but on a whim tried out a Tri Speed Tour that I bought a couple dozen of a few years ago that were collecting dust.  I've been loving them.  Very durable and I hold greens with them no problem.  Ball is usually within a few feet of where it lands on the green and chipping is the best it's ever been.  Srixon no longer makes a 3 pc ionomer/Suryn ball.  What other balls are there for sale today that are similar to the TriSpeed Tour?  I was also a fan of the Top Flight Gamer from several years ago when Callaway made them.   Think they were also a 3 pc Surlyn ball.  I don't need balls right now but in case some go on clearance sale, I'll know what to buy.  I don't try to work the ball.  Hit my irons straight with medium trajectory.  About 96 mph CHS.  Only one I've found is the Tour Speed from Titleist. Any ideas?

Might try the Callaway Diablo Tour at Dicks or maybe the TruFeel from Titleist, it’s two piece but develops plenty of spin on full iron shots for me. 

• Like 2

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

There are a few really good options out there for that.

1. Vice Tour...Played this ball and really like it

2. Callaway Diablo Tour....Also played this ball and really like it

3. Top Flite Gamer......The 2020 version is out.  I've played a few rounds with it and thought they played really well.  The durability is not as good as the Vice Tour or the Diablo Tour.  The Diablo Tour is the most durable ball I've ever played and the Vice Tour is probably the longest.

4. The Callaway Hex Tour....Sold in Costco for $64.99 for 4 dozen I believe.  It's a 3 piece but it's a "hybrid" cover so I don't know what that means.  Still waiting to hear on how they play.  I have not played them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wantacigar said:

3. Top Flite Gamer......The 2020 version is out.  I've played a few rounds with it and thought they played really well.  The durability is not as good as the Vice Tour or the Diablo Tour.  The Diablo Tour is the most durable ball I've ever played and the Vice Tour is probably the longest.

4. The Callaway Hex Tour....Sold in Costco for $64.99 for 4 dozen I believe.  It's a 3 piece but it's a "hybrid" cover so I don't know what that means.  Still waiting to hear on how they play.  I have not played them.

The Hex Tour’s “hybrid” cover is an ionomer blend (and for those that don’t know Surlyn is one of DuPont’s oldest ionomer blends). This ball is likely very similar to the Diablo Tour that is available at DSG/GG.

• Like 2

According to the Golf Digest 50 yard wedge test the Wilson Duo Pro which has a thin urethane cover, spins a little less than most urethane balls. Similar to the Tour Soft and Q Star Tour

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 7/14/2021 at 10:07 PM, storm319 said:

The Hex Tour’s “hybrid” cover is an ionomer blend (and for those that don’t know Surlyn is one of DuPont’s oldest ionomer blends). This ball is likely very similar to the Diablo Tour that is available at DSG/GG.

Yeah I wouldn't be shocked if they are literally the same core, mantle, and cover with a different model name stamped on each ball.      

On 7/14/2021 at 7:40 PM, wantacigar said:

I found two dozen Diablo Tour balls in my drawer of balls that I purchased a few years ago. They were back with the Pinnacles and whatnot that I get for free in outings.  Last time I tried the Diablo Tour they seemed extremely hard.  I'll try them out again next week.  

• Like 1

Very believe the new version od the Diablo Tour is a little softer. Yes the few times I played them I thought, man this ball is hard.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

It seems like the 3 piece ionomer ball is a dying breed.  Srixon got rid of the Trispeed Tour a few years back, the Diablo Tour became a Dicks/GG house brand, TaylorMade only offers 3 piece in urethane, Titleist no longer offers a 3 piece ionomer ball.  Last year I played the TF Hammer Control and compared against the 2020 TF Gamer and I didn't notice much difference.  The Hammer Control was softer, the distance was similar (within 5 yards), and each landed and rolled about the same distance from their pitch marks.  If you want more short game spin from a 2 piece your next jump should just be a 3 piece urethane.  

E12 contact. Very nice feel with good spin and outstanding distance. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

23 hours ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

It seems like the 3 piece ionomer ball is a dying breed.  Srixon got rid of the Trispeed Tour a few years back, the Diablo Tour became a Dicks/GG house brand, TaylorMade only offers 3 piece in urethane, Titleist no longer offers a 3 piece ionomer ball.  Last year I played the TF Hammer Control and compared against the 2020 TF Gamer and I didn't notice much difference.  The Hammer Control was softer, the distance was similar (within 5 yards), and each landed and rolled about the same distance from their pitch marks.  If you want more short game spin from a 2 piece your next jump should just be a 3 piece urethane.  

TM’s offering in the category is the Soft Response. Callaway still offers the ERC Soft (only dual core, no mantle currently on the market) and the Superhot in their core line as well as specialty/discount retailer exclusives like the HEX/Diablo Tour. Rounding out the big 5 OEMs would be the Bridgestone e12 line. Acushnet technically does have an offering in this category with the Union Green Pindrop, but nothing under the Titleist brand since the discontinuation of the NXT Tour. 

Ultimately you are right that performance differences tend to be negligible between this category and the 2-piece category and rarely warrant the premium when there are so many urethane choices near this price point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

I want to try the vice tour but with shipping it makes it hard to justify over the gamers. Ordered the Costco HX Tours to try 

The Gamers are pretty good balls.  I really like the Vice Tour but having to buy 5 dozen is not attractive to me.  When I want a low spin distance ball with decent feel and a decent price I would go for the PInnacle Soft.  It's an Accushnet brand, likely more or less a Titleist.  There are TONS of two piece Surlyn/Ionomer covered balls out there at decent pricing.  

Can you please let us know how the HX Tours play/feel?

Edited by wantacigar

On 7/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, wantacigar said:

The Gamers are pretty good balls.  I really like the Vice Tour but having to buy 5 dozen is not attractive to me.  When I want a low spin distance ball with decent feel and a decent price I would go for the PInnacle Soft.  It's an Accushnet brand, likely more or less a Titleist.  There are TONS of two piece Surlyn/Ionomer covered balls out there at decent pricing.  

Can you please let us know how the HX Tours play/feel?

So I am not keeping them . Just hit a sleeve in my net. Very harsh of the driver doesn’t play soft at all. A few had some really messed up covers . 

There's a guy on eBay selling prior generation e6 Soft Lady (same as men's e6 Soft except pink numbers) for less than a dollar a ball when you buy 6 doz at a time. I think it was 6 doz for $69 or thereabouts.

That's about the price range you need to find if it's going to be worth playing a non-urethane ball nowadays IMO. 

• Like 1

Last week I tried out the white Diablo Tours I bought a few years back. Had a rough day starting out with the driver and lost a ball on 3rd hole and had another ball stolen from the middle of fw after I finally got the driver straightened out on the 11th hole.   Switched to my yellow tri speed and had 7 tap in pars coming home.   

I found a couple dozen 3pc ionomer Stratas in my house so I'll be set for a little while.  

THESE are my people!  I have played 3 piece non-urethane balls for years.  After NO golf in 2020, my stock is getting low and I am looking for a ‘new’ ball to play.

I was on the Nike One Black train.  Then Ignite, the. Vapor Speed, and others.  Last ball fitting I did I tried the 4 piece Nike RZN vs. the 3 piece.  Shop dude said the 4 piece should fit me better, but the RZN Red was the ball.  Lower trajectory, 3 piece with a Surlyn cover…so lower spin too.  The benefit of needing this ball was pricing too, not a Pro V premium.

Looking at the Golf Digest list, the only ball that comes close is the Titleist, but it has a urethane cover.  The Costco Callaway Hex are a bit harder than I like, but perform okay.  I’m not in love.  

I have debated getting used Grade A+ Nikes, but wondering if that’s the right move…

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

2 hours ago, nunee said:

THESE are my people!  I have played 3 piece non-urethane balls for years.  After NO golf in 2020, my stock is getting low and I am looking for a ‘new’ ball to play.

I was on the Nike One Black train.  Then Ignite, the. Vapor Speed, and others.  Last ball fitting I did I tried the 4 piece Nike RZN vs. the 3 piece.  Shop dude said the 4 piece should fit me better, but the RZN Red was the ball.  Lower trajectory, 3 piece with a Surlyn cover…so lower spin too.  The benefit of needing this ball was pricing too, not a Pro V premium.

Looking at the Golf Digest list, the only ball that comes close is the Titleist, but it has a urethane cover.  The Costco Callaway Hex are a bit harder than I like, but perform okay.  I’m not in love.  

I have debated getting used Grade A+ Nikes, but wondering if that’s the right move…

From the 2021 Hot List, there is a RZN Distance, which is similar to RZN Red. Now there are micro dimples on this ball.

Snapshot below is from: https://www.adtechdd.com/pages/brands

RZN.png.673e672a3a2cda62b73999bb5a91bee0.png

Edited by pallmall
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

Target had a few boxes of Vice Tour so I picked one up. I have only seen drive and pro plus before. Played a round and really liked it. 

I've played the Vice Tour in 2020.  I really liked that ball.  If I was to pick a 3 pc. surlyn ball to play it would be the Vice Tour.  I absolutely love the Kirkland Signature 3 pc. V2 (Ksig 3.2).   If I can't get the Ksig's any longer I will absolutely play the Vice Tour.  Aside from getting 2019 TP5's and TM Tour Response for less than 1/2 price I would play the Vice Tour.....Without a doubt.

1 hour ago, wantacigar said:

I've played the Vice Tour in 2020.  I really liked that ball.  If I was to pick a 3 pc. surlyn ball to play it would be the Vice Tour.  I absolutely love the Kirkland Signature 3 pc. V2 (Ksig 3.2).   If I can't get the Ksig's any longer I will absolutely play the Vice Tour.  Aside from getting 2019 TP5's and TM Tour Response for less than 1/2 price I would play the Vice Tour.....Without a doubt.

I was a big fan of the 2.0 Ksig but they have been out of stock at my local Costco since May. 

• Sad 1

The matte Cut golf balls are 3pc ionomer balls.  Haven't tried them though.  At one point many of their balls were being dinged for durability.  I've read that they've addressed that but I don't know how much and if that applies to all of their balls. There is also the Mizuno RB 566V.  Haven't tried that either.

Edited by cardigan