2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Winner Winner Chicken Winger

I am a relatively new golfer, currently playing for almost 2 years. I am relatively tall (6'5), but have always played sports (especially basketball) in my life. 

In recent weeks I've been actively reading mostly here on the Swing Forum, and also came across Montes NTC through the forum.

NTC (and also all the other videos) have helped me quite a bit. However, I can't get a handle on my chicken wing / club open problems (despite Monte's Early Extension series). Somehow I have the feeling that i can't get the Cast A (throw to to 😎 to work....

I feel like my hands are faster than my body, and also towards the end of the downswing too close to my body. I am not sure if my setup is ok like that. 

The balls almost always go to the right (sometimes more, sometimes less), and my launch angle is actually way too big (I have a MLM Rapsodo, I often have between 25-30 degrees with iron 7).

I am grateful for any starting point, thanks in advance for any tip, i hope the Video-Quality is ok (it was already quite dark)

Edited by hereandnow

You're doing your best to hold the face open because you're bailing out of the swing. Take a look at this video to see what your follow through should look like and do the drill at the end. This should help eliminate the chicken wing: 

Also remember, all of this works ONLY if you keep your hands and handle in front of the clubface.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

To add to what Braxton said above, it is important to understand the big picture of the golf swing and what your body should be doing. I mention this because if you have started down the path of researching the golf swing and trying to self diagnose then you need to know enough about the swing itself to make any use of that info. Without that, reading Monte's work (or any other qualified instructor for that matter) will do you no good. 

To be super direct, and I don't mean ANY disrespect by this, you're swinging the golf club like an 80 year old, which is to say that you're just throwing your arms at it without any real involvement from the rest of the body. The golf swing is a full body motion that is primarily driven by the lower body, and you'd be forgiven for assuming that you're actively trying to NOT use your lower body.

hereandnowImpact.gif.70b5162ddc785d5114fe228786c4ee51.gif

Here is your address and impact position, and you'd be forgiven for not knowing which one is which. 

TigerImpact.gif.12c3064087ad9b89d466bed268e93566.gif

Here is early post back surgery Tiger (2014), and even with that caveat you can still see that his address and impact positions are unambiguous. His hips are cleared, his weight is forward, and his spine angle has maintained. All of this is accomplished not because he is Tiger Woods, but because his swing is properly sequenced in a way that ANYONE can accomplish. 

I also can't say for sure because of the low resolution...

306381628_ScreenShot2021-07-15at9_02_32AM.png.e4f33d2deb6ccf88ffaba237a8ef2086.png

...but that *looks* like an excessively weak grip which will definitely be part of the problem. A weak grip on its own is not a bad thing, it just requires certain other components to make it work, components you don't have. Your clubface is wide open in the downsing which is why everything is going right, and also likely part of why you aren't using your lower body at all since any effort but towards driving/clearing in the downswing would just give you less time to square an already open clubface which would just make the ball go even further right and/or result in a shank. 

Step #1 would be to neutralize your grip by rolling both hands clockwise (right) about 2 hours so you can see a couple knuckles on your left hand and the "V" formed by the thumb and forefinger on your right hand is pointing closer to your right shoulder. From there you can hopefully get a little more control over the face which will allow you to start actually using your body properly. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

9 hours ago, Valtiel said:

To add to what Braxton said above, it is important to understand the big picture of the golf swing and what your body should be doing. I mention this because if you have started down the path of researching the golf swing and trying to self diagnose then you need to know enough about the swing itself to make any use of that info. Without that, reading Monte's work (or any other qualified instructor for that matter) will do you no good. 

To be super direct, and I don't mean ANY disrespect by this, you're swinging the golf club like an 80 year old, which is to say that you're just throwing your arms at it without any real involvement from the rest of the body. The golf swing is a full body motion that is primarily driven by the lower body, and you'd be forgiven for assuming that you're actively trying to NOT use your lower body.

Here is your address and impact position, and you'd be forgiven for not knowing which one is which. 

Here is early post back surgery Tiger (2014), and even with that caveat you can still see that his address and impact positions are unambiguous. His hips are cleared, his weight is forward, and his spine angle has maintained. All of this is accomplished not because he is Tiger Woods, but because his swing is properly sequenced in a way that ANYONE can accomplish. 

306381628_ScreenShot2021-07-15at9_02_32AM.png.e4f33d2deb6ccf88ffaba237a8ef2086.png

...but that *looks* like an excessively weak grip which will definitely be part of the problem. A weak grip on its own is not a bad thing, it just requires certain other components to make it work, components you don't have. Your clubface is wide open in the downsing which is why everything is going right, and also likely part of why you aren't using your lower body at all since any effort but towards driving/clearing in the downswing would just give you less time to square an already open clubface which would just make the ball go even further right and/or result in a shank. 

Step #1 would be to neutralize your grip by rolling both hands clockwise (right) about 2 hours so you can see a couple knuckles on your left hand and the "V" formed by the thumb and forefinger on your right hand is pointing closer to your right shoulder. From there you can hopefully get a little more control over the face which will allow you to start actually using your body properly. 

I knew his grip would be too weak before I watched the second video. Weak grip+open shoulders=bad spine tilt at address. Body doesn't rotate because if it did, he'd hit it 2 fairways over to the right. 

Untitled.png

@Valtiel, @tthomasgolfer605

Thank you very much to both of your for your responses, this helped a lot!

Regarding the Movement in general. I'm currently trying to get the swing plane right, and slowed down things a lot. Your response Valtiel helped here, this is probably not so useful. I might need to add more dynamic here 🙂 

Regarding the Grip, i took a closer shot:

weak.jpg.5f36daf7b62c1f5b975ddb987280c91b.jpg

Should it look more like this?

stronger.jpg.0fc00081aed1ca0554cb5f305499bae3.jpg

Regarding Tilt, open Shoulder. Should i bent less over (and move closer to the ball?), should i try to close the shoulder?

Thank you very much for your help, i will work on the things, and start with grip and setup

Edited by hereandnow

17 hours ago, hereandnow said:

@Valtiel, @tthomasgolfer605

Thank you very much to both of your for your responses, this helped a lot!

Regarding the Movement in general. I'm currently trying to get the swing plane right, and slowed down things a lot. Your response Valtiel helped here, this is probably not so useful. I might need to add more dynamic here 🙂 

Regarding the Grip, i took a closer shot:

weak.jpg.5f36daf7b62c1f5b975ddb987280c91b.jpg

Should it look more like this?

stronger.jpg.0fc00081aed1ca0554cb5f305499bae3.jpg

Regarding Tilt, open Shoulder. Should i bent less over (and move closer to the ball?), should i try to close the shoulder?

Thank you very much for your help, i will work on the things, and start with grip and setup

Also look at the buttpad of the left hand. Make sure it's on top of the grip. If the grip sits between the lifeline of left hand or the buttpad is on the left of the grip, it's a major power loss and clubface will not be secure. 

On 7/15/2021 at 12:41 PM, Valtiel said:

Good stuff Valtiel, Can you please, share details on what you believe the proper sequence to be?

On 7/17/2021 at 5:44 PM, Tanner25 said:

Good stuff Valtiel, Can you please, share details on what you believe the proper sequence to be?

I did a breakdown of exactly that here.

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

I did a breakdown of exactly that here.

Good stuff, like the DJ comparisons. I've also taken a lesson and the pro said, hips start the downswing. I do this and there's not much of a better result. I guess it takes a long time to over ride a handsy swing. 

Edited by Tanner25
  • Like 1