blade shaming ?

Fairway14

Let’s be real for just a moment…first - most golfers are better off with cb’s than they are with blades you’d have to be a spineless moron to go into a fitting wanting to get a set of blades only to be talked out of, or “shamed” enough to give up.  
we talk about “growing the game to hopefully increase the $’s for courses to continue to exist.  These stores and fitters that are “shaming” folks (still hard to say because it’s just so dumb) are doing it out of the fact that most golfers will enjoy the game more and continue to pump money into it.  I have no issue with that, nor should you. Guys who can’t play them, but buy them anyway, help add to the disgusting trend of longer rounds.  Again, that’s still their right, but I hate being behind them.

8 minutes ago, tatertot said:

You're real close to getting cancelled ... better watch it.

Already disrespected whatever that is.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I was recently fitted for new blades.  I'm a good ball striker and don't see the benefit of jacked up irons.  Even so, the fitter was definitely trying to push me towards a combo set with cb or hollow body irons.  I humored him and hit all three in the long irons.  Only after seeing that dispersion didn't improve did he let it go. 

I personally think most would benefit playing a club that tells them when they are and aren't in the sweet spot.  It's a learning tool that improves ball striking.  Wide soled, polymer filled, hot faced. deep offset irons are bandaids imho.  Fine for causal golfers, detrimental to avid golfers. 

Edited by MattC555

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I've been shamed before after hitting a bad shot; guy made reference to my Bridgestone Dual Pocket irons being too unforgiving for my skill level.  I was playing to about a 7 handicap at the time so it's not like I totally sucked.  The guy who made the comment was a really good ball striker, but he had no power.  His game was built around a slow swing where he made solid contact.  I hit the ball much farther than him but I  sprayed it more too.  Anyway, shamming is real.  

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I disagree with the detrimental angle or avid nuts (like me). More and more Pros combo. Phil's bag is an example of him wanting to put himself in the best position each week. Why should I not do the same? 

If blending helps you score your best, blend away. I certainly do with 2 hybrids, 2 P790s, then P770 CBs, with a few forged wedges: its a Golfwrx buffet of club ho'ing. 

Edited by bvanlieu
  • Like 1

I made four hole-in-ones so far.

1 with a Wood Brother's Texan persimmon driver on a drivable Par 4.

However, I made 3 more on Par 3's with blades that were nothing special.

Maybe I am more focused with smaller clubs, or maybe I become less focused when I use Flintstone GI clubs.  Maybe all four were just lucky.

24 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

I was recently fitted for new blades.  I'm a good ball striker and don't see the benefit of jacked up irons.  Even so, the fitter was definitely trying to push me towards a combo set with cb or hollow body irons.  I humored him and hit all three in the long irons.  Only after seeing that dispersion didn't improve did he let it go. 

I personally think most would benefit playing a club that tells them when they are and aren't in the sweet spot.  It's a learning tool that improves ball striking.  Wide soled, polymer filled, hot faced. deep offset irons are bandaids imho.  Fine for causal golfers, detrimental to avid golfers. 

Are you playing a mini driver or a 440+cc behemoth?  If you are like 99% of the worlds golfers and play a driver near the max limit your argument against "bandaids" clubs just went out the window. 

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

This year i put taylormade sim2 irons in my bag. I got guff from most of the guys at the beginning because most of them are using blades of some sort.  They are now eating there words as im a zero handicap in that leauge and have won a ton of loot.. to the point they want to handicap skins now and its getting harder to get side bets. 😆

• Like 1

Sand traps suck

12 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Any scoring average change for you blades versus cb ? My guess is scores the same, please confirm.

I can confirm... i would say playing the right blade or smaller players cb for myself has actually helped lower my score. I can still shoot a bad score but it has nothing to do with the irons. I have actually tryed to hit bigger headed irons since switching to blades and smaller cbs and have had terrible results multiple times. Not to mention misses that were still ending up the same or worse. So if anything the smaller irons have improved my strikes and misses. Its personal preference. All this pro talk and reviewer talk about dont play a blade or players iron is way off. If you can strike a ball decently or better yet if you can shoot anywhere in the 80s consistently you can play a blade or players cb... it will not prevent you from shooting a 79 or lower. A bad day of overall golf will.

3 minutes ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I can confirm... i would say playing the right blade or smaller players cb for myself has actually helped lower my score. I can still shoot a bad score but it has nothing to do with the irons. I have actually tryed to hit bigger headed irons since switching to blades and smaller cbs and have had terrible results multiple times. Not to mention misses that were still ending up the same or worse. So if anything the smaller irons have improved my strikes and misses. Its personal preference. All this pro talk and reviewer talk about dont play a blade or players iron is way off. If you can strike a ball decently or better yet if you can shoot anywhere in the 80s consistently you can play a blade or players cb... it will not prevent you from shooting a 79 or lower. A bad day of overall golf will.

Yes, sometimes players find that a small head iron results in hitting more good shots throughout the round than they produce when swinging mid size or over size iron heads. Personally I think this related to a smaller head being easier to square at impact than a larger head, at least this is true for some guys.

Sadly, too many players feel ashamed to play small head irons because fitters, retail store clerks, internet forum participants etc... tell them bigger is better.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

3 hours ago, miamistomp said:

ugly

Again, so helpful. Thanks.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

3 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

What were the specs ?

If I tried it again I’d work off of the 8-iron position and not the 7. 9 and 10 (Honma PW) probably got too heavy in SW. Regardless, heads weren’t right for me. Thanks to the quality of the club maker I was able to get out of them close to even and I jumped at the opportunity.

2CE42757-7D6C-4640-980D-D2891E1D355A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, bnperrone said:

If I tried it again I’d work off of the 8-iron position and not the 7. 9 and 10 (Honma PW) probably got too heavy in SW. Regardless, heads weren’t right for me. Thanks to the quality of the club maker I was able to get out of them close to even and I jumped at the opportunity.

2CE42757-7D6C-4640-980D-D2891E1D355A.jpeg

Which brand/model shafts ?

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Who cares what anyone else plays?  Play your game and don’t worry about what anyone else is doing. 

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

2 hours ago, Nessism said:

Are you playing a mini driver or a 440+cc behemoth?  If you are like 99% of the worlds golfers and play a driver near the max limit your argument against "bandaids" clubs just went out the window. 

This might be a mind blowing concept, but a driver is not an iron. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

16 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Here is a link to the March 2021 story of Rickie switching from blades to CB's, including a walk of shame photo:

https://www.golfwrx.com/650104/rickie-fowler-makes-dramatic-iron-change/

Here is a link to the 5 pages of forum discussion about the switch, with some members pro-MB and others proclaiming "I told you so":

This kinda of stuff is NOT informative nor does it help anyone.  Then there's this: nobody that plays blades actually does so because some touring pro plays them.  It's a personal choice.  It is kinda odd though, the number of people choosing CB's because some tour player bags them. 

What Rickie plays doesn't matter.  He's like other tour players, must do what's necessary to make cuts, so they can make a living and meet contract obligations.  Benefiting from blades means ball striking is consistent.   I wouldn't say playing blades has lowered my scores.  However, they do demand I hit the ball with the sweet spot, or else.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

14 hours ago, Fairway14 said:
  14 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Took a 6i and pounded several 10-foot high line drives - failure to launch.

14 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Truth or exaggeration ?

Line drives happened in 2008. I believe the golf shop dumped all residual launch monitor data at the end of the month, so you'll have to take my work for it. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Good Lord.  If you feel ashamed, or shamed, by the type or brand of golf club you use, then I would suggest some professional counseling.  There are some other underlying issues at play there.  I am confounded by the amount of people who act like victims these days.  People need to put on their big boy pants and stop whining about everything.  Life is too short.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

5 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I remember that, Fairway14 can shame others but lord have mercy if he is shamed himself. 

Basically a /thread post...  When people can say the most ridiculous things here and get away with it, but if call them out you get penalized...

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

1 hour ago, jallen0119 said:

A big time POS. 

Please tell me where this is defined as a putter type or STFU. Thanks.

• Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

@craz-eYep. 

My 620s get lots of compliments, and friends have hit them.  First thing they say is how sweet they feel even on mishits.  What's intriguing, nobody has reached for 6i or longer to hit. LOL  My son never plays, but uses my backup MB's a few times per year and does surprisingly well with them. 

As for "shaming" topic, I think that is bull sh**.  NOBODY that's healthy and secure should feel shame because someone said you shouldn't play a given club.  It's a misused and overused word.  That's like me saying to a P-club member, he shouldn't drive a 911 Carrera GTS cause he won't track the car over 80mph.  Trust me, he doesn't feel shame, nor should he. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

It's only shaming if it makes you feel ashamed.  The irons I've played the most over the last several years are Mizuno mp-29s and 1994 Callaway Big Berthas.  Blades and the chunkiest looking SGI irons ever made.  I swap whenever I want to look at something different for a while.  I have no shame.  It's my money and I'll spend it however I want.  Although, if someone else is paying for the clubs I'd more inclined to listen to their opinion, nonsense or otherwise.  I'm perfectly willing to play whatever as long as someone else is footing the bill.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JShaw said:

It's only shaming if it makes you feel ashamed.  The irons I've played the most over the last several years are Mizuno mp-29s and 1994 Callaway Big Berthas.  Blades and the chunkiest looking SGI irons ever made.  I swap whenever I want to look at something different for a while.  I have no shame.  It's my money and I'll spend it however I want.  Although, if someone else is paying for the clubs I'd more inclined to listen to their opinion, nonsense or otherwise.  I'm perfectly willing to play whatever as long as someone else is footing the bill.

I coined a phrase a couple years ago...

Offense can never be given; it can only be taken. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Please tell me where this is defined as a putter type or STFU. Thanks.

According to the internet these are the three main types of Putter

1. Blade - Bullseye, 8802, etc...

2. Heel Toe Balanced - Anser - Newport etc...

3. Mallet - Rosie, Spider etc... 

I will say that heel toe balanced putters are often referred to as blades in comparison to mallets.  So I think it's legit to call them blades.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lefthack said:

I feel bad for folks who care enough about what folks think that they sacrifice themselves for it. I share my crap on here and my bag is in my sig. Don't like it, don't look 

If you play better than me with fugly clubs, good on you. 

You made me look at your signature now

"

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

"

There's gotta be a good story in there somewhere 🙂

• Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

14 minutes ago, Rocky Ball-boa said:

You made me look at your signature now

"

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

"

There's gotta be a good story in there somewhere 🙂

The seller didn't have a 6 iron. I originally built it up as a combo 3-6 CB but I liked hitting the blades so much I built the 4 and 5 but needed a 6. I started with the Mizuno MP-32 and loved it but the cut muscle didn't look as good, so I found the MP-68 and it blends nice.

The shaft is different, but I don't notice really.

I say the KZG's feel at least as good as the Mizuno's. But they are from '01 so the grooves don't conform. They are NOS and I've had them 3ish months.

<edit> still looking for a 6 BTW. 🤣

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW