blade shaming ?

Fairway14

35 minutes ago, mrnoonan said:

Embracing blades regardless of skill level is SO MUCH FUN. I wish more folks did it. Realistically it doesn't matter what we shoot and also bad shots don't end up that much worse. But having a bag of sick a** butter knives is awesome and flushing that one or two a round is even awesomer.

Whatever it is about blades that is so much MORE fun than playing GIs is certainly up to the individual (& a mystery to me) but I don't see why anyone would "wish more folks did it".

Or did you mean you wish more folks would have fun ? :classic_biggrin:

In either case, if you don't care about your score and live for those 1 or 2 awesome shots per round, by all means, knock yourself out. It shouldn't concern anybody else.

But a competitor is out to WIN. Out to shoot the lowest score possible while playing legal equipment. If that means blade irons, fine. If it means GIs, fine.

I was actually happy to see that even though the OP's intent was clear that most didn't "bite" early on.

But of course this pretty much HAD to devolve into a blade vs. GI thread.

It's been a non-issue for so long now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh well. Dunno1.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

14 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Whatever it is about blades that is so much MORE fun than playing GIs is certainly up to the individual (& a mystery to me) but I don't see why anyone would "wish more folks did it".

Or did you mean you wish more folks would have fun ? :classic_biggrin:

In either case, if you don't care about your score and live for those 1 or 2 awesome shots per round, by all means, knock yourself out. It shouldn't concern anybody else.

But a competitor is out to WIN. Out to shoot the lowest score possible while playing legal equipment. If that means blade irons, fine. If it means GIs, fine.

I was actually happy to see that even though the OP's intent was clear that most didn't "bite" early on.

But of course this pretty much HAD to devolve into a blade vs. GI thread.

It's been a non-issue for so long now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh well. Dunno1.gif

haha dang! I ain't lookin to DeChambeau the topic and pull apart its intricacies and semantics. Blades can just be a lot fun for someone who can make solid contact most of the time. 

Shaming? Really? Play what you want, who cares. Hell, I play blades and hybrids. No matter what you play, you still have to hit the center to get best results.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

50 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

I'm gonna dust off and play my Mp-14s just for spite

Embarrassed Shame GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

On types of putters... 

23 hours ago, lefthack said:

1. Blade - Bullseye, 8802, etc...

image.png.9922681b47ec1d874fbe2c983eec6416.png

The term bar putter has largely fallen out of use. Nowadays, the term blade now includes the bar putters.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

“Blade Shaming” is definitely a thing. But I also think there are a lot of golfers out there playing clubs that might be a little unforgiving for their skill level. Now if you are on Tour, play what works best for you with no shame. If you are an amateur who thinks you are scratch but never breaks 78 from 6400 yards and you are playing blades.... good for you but you definitely aren’t helping yourself. Golf is a game of misses. Why make your misses bigger if you don’t have to? 

There’d be no shaming if we all just stuck to the rules of golf. You’re allowed to play blades once you break par

• Confused 1

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

On 7/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, Fairway14 said:

I agree emphasis should be on scoring, especially at the pro level.  But sometimes there is shaming on Tour. For example DL III was sensational with a 1-iron in his college days and early pro career. But as equipment company Tour reps  started pushing lofted fairway woods, hybrids etc... there were fewer and fewer 1-irons in Tour player bags until DL III was about the last guy standing with one. I remember watching Tiger play as a 16 and 17 year old swinging 1-iron off more tee boxes than he did driver. In the right player's hands a 1-iron can be very helpful to low scoring, but it's extinct now due to shaming.

Haven't read the whole thread but haven't the new utility/driving irons taken the place of the fabled 1 iron? A great alternative for those that prefer the long irons over fairway woods and hybrids?  A couple of  my buddies still carried the Ping Eye 2 1 iron until recently and were both brilliant with it especially as an option off the tee on tight driving holes. In the past couple of years they have upgraded to a modern driving iron. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

As an average mid handicap player who plays quite well some days and plays really poorly other days the irons in my bag are not making a jot of difference to my score. On a great day where the driver, short game and putter are working along with the irons I may shoot 77 regardless of whether I'm playing a set of mb blades or a set of cavity backs. On another day when everything is off and I shoot 92, again the irons I'm playing will not affect my score. I know this from experience. 

The difference in forgiveness is much smaller than it is made out to be and I've always found it baffling how much controversy and debate this subject creates. 

You'd think we were talking about the difference between a pedal bike and a motorised E bike but we're not. We're talking about a blade style chunk of metal on the end of a golf shaft and a perimeter weighted chunk of metal on the end of a golf shaft. So many other variables that determine how well you hit the golf ball with either. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 4:10 PM, MtlJeff said:

Literally no one cares in the real world

This. I'm a 9.9 handicap and have gamed MP4s the last several years, and haven't had a single person blade-shame me. No one cares.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway Rogue 17°, 21°
Mizuno Pro 225 (4-GW)
Bettinardi H2 54°, 58° Wedges
Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V1

I don't even have any blades to be shamed into or out of, all I got are these cavity backs and the Pings in my sig:

4EgJxay.jpg?1

Edited by HappyGilmoresBoots

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

2 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

I don't even have any blades to be shamed into or out of, all I got are these cavity backs and the Pings in my sig:

4EgJxay.jpg?1

Would love to know the lofts on those babies. 😎

8 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

I've been going based on the second post in this thread when figuring out my gapping on the MCX's.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

17 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

You'd think we were talking about the difference between a pedal bike and a motorised E bike but we're not.

Fortunately 😀!

I’m an avid mountain biker, yeah, that is a pretty contentious debate…

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

On 7/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, Barfolomew said:

I'm so ashamed of you blade users...... you coulda saved 2 strokes....... now go to your room and think about what you did

You should be ashamed.  Us blade users don't care about those 2 strokes that you wish you could save.  You keep practicing, you'll get there eventually.  LOL 

• Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I read about 20 years ago after they started coming out with the GI irons that the pros "GI" iron's were actually only cosmetically similar but much smaller than the clubs sold to the public. They would have less offset and thinner toplines and soles and if they were not forged were 304 stainless that's as soft as forged. So while we see better players using CB's w/GI I don't think we should necessarily assume they are the same spec as what is sold to the public, but the same marketing ploy to sell more irons, after all most golfers can't play blades.

In my own case I played a cheap blade but am making the change to an older cb, DCI 990B's because they have the cg closer to the hosel like old blades. In spite of being a high hc I have aspirations to be a single digit plus I hook the ball and am on a budget, the DCI's were only $120.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Blade mishits normally don't find the flag but neither does anything else. So who cares work on your short games!!

• Like 4

Mizuno ST200G

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver

Callaway BB Steelhead III 5W

Taylormade Tour Preferred T-D 1 Iron

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4 & 5

Mizuno MP33 6-PW

Mizuno T20 52/09

Callaway Jaws 58/12

Taylormade Redline Daytona

13 hours ago, WasatchBogey said:

Fortunately 😀!

I’m an avid mountain biker, yeah, that is a pretty contentious debate…

Me too. An E bike really doesn't appeal to me. I love the fact when I'm out riding it's just me, the trail and the bike. I can go as far as I want to go and it's only me and my fitness that limit my range. The thought of an E bike helping me up the hills detracts from my ride and i hate the thought that I am limited by the battery range. Each to their own though. And no offense if you ride an E bike. 😊

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dciccoritti said:

1 hour ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Welp...Morikawa just dropped his blades in favor of CB's, won't help the cause..

Blades are fun to play, especially if you prioritize enjoyment over scoring 

Morikawa saying he couldn’t find the center of the face? 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂 TM  would hate to see him win, if he does, with a set of irons that they no longer produce is my take. How does a top PGA pro say,”I couldn’t find the center of the face”? I’d like to see the young man get the Jug! Those MCs are smaller than a blade seems like. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Welp...Morikawa just dropped his blades in favor of CB's, won't help the cause..

Blades are fun to play, especially if you prioritize enjoyment over scoring 

Thanks. That's quite the admission. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

16 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Thanks. That's quite the admission. :classic_biggrin:

Precisely the point, you're allowed to play what you like, but the argument that blades somehow benefit performance over a cb is a difficult one..

Again, play what you want, most of us play for fun.

Edited by sadclevelandsports

On 7/16/2021 at 9:40 PM, kiwihacker said:

The 2 iron is 37 degrees. OG lofts.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 7/16/2021 at 7:34 PM, mrnoonan said:

Embracing blades regardless of skill level is SO MUCH FUN. I wish more folks did it. Realistically it doesn't matter what we shoot and also bad shots don't end up that much worse. But having a bag of sick a** butter knives is awesome and flushing that one or two a round is even awesomer.

For me, there's a number of flushes per round that has to occur to counter-balance things up. I don't know what that number is, but I know that it's a lot higher than one or two!

Especially on a cold winter's morning when a non-flush is felt to the very core of your being ☠️

• Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

30 minutes ago, tatertot said:

The 2 iron is 37 degrees. OG lofts.

In what world is a 2 iron 37 degrees ? :classic_blink: