blade shaming ?

Fairway14

5 minutes ago, Rocky Ball-boa said:

For me, there's a number of flushes per round that has to occur to counter-balance things up. I don't know what that number is, but I know that it's a lot higher than one or two!

Especially on a cold winter's morning when a non-flush is felt to the very core of your being ☠️

I am a mid/hi hc that has always loved blades and small cb's. However, I learned early on that while I could play blades mishits in the cold were just too punishing and since then I've played almost exclusively 304 s.s. that is as soft as many forged blades but doesn't hurt on mishits in the cold. Plus they don't wear like blades either. I am making the change to some Titleist cb's of 417 s.s. that supposedly has been treated to be softer, by all accounts it appears to be as soft as 304. I recommend higher hc aficionados of blades look at cast options as one can have the best of both worlds.

BTW, as it is now my new set will basically be 6-P by the new standards, after that I will have a more forgiving 5 iron and after that woods up to the driver. I believe most golfers could hit at least a 7 iron blade whether they think they could or not.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Have played blades for about 18 years now, and can honestly count the amount of times I've had any negative comments about the type of irons I play on one hand - and two of them were from my usual fourball trying to put me off in a money match.

• Like 2

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

15 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

I’d think there’s more “shaft flex shaming” than anything. 

This is a thing....

Some how your manhood is tied to that stiff or extra stiff shaft flex. s m h

My son gets grief all time for playing his Titleist irons with R shafts until they pay him after the round. Does use a S shaft driver though.

All depends on who makes the shaft, how you load it, your tempo, etc.

I’ve played blades for a long time. I love my blades. I will not be changing out of blades until I don’t have enough speed to get them in the air anymore.

I have never, ever been shamed for my blades. On the contrary I almost always get complemented on them and have had an offer to buy them on the course.

I am not foolish enough to think they are the best tools for the job if my only enjoyment came from my handicap rating at the end of a season. They may not cost me multiple strokes a round relative to CBs, but I bet that switching to players CB might save me fractional strokes every round and over the course of a year have a measurable impact on my scoring average. A half stroke difference in scoring average on the PGA Tour could be a $1m+ in earnings, so no surprise they make the switch despite being superior ball strikers to us mortals. Different reasons and objectives for playing.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

On 7/17/2021 at 1:01 PM, chipa said:

I read about 20 years ago after they started coming out with the GI irons that the pros "GI" iron's were actually only cosmetically similar but much smaller than the clubs sold to the public. They would have less offset and thinner toplines and soles and if they were not forged were 304 stainless that's as soft as forged. So while we see better players using CB's w/GI I don't think we should necessarily assume they are the same spec as what is sold to the public, but the same marketing ploy to sell more irons, after all most golfers can't play blades.

In my own case I played a cheap blade but am making the change to an older cb, DCI 990B's because they have the cg closer to the hosel like old blades. In spite of being a high hc I have aspirations to be a single digit plus I hook the ball and am on a budget, the DCI's were only $120.

That statement is exactly why I don't buy based on what seasoned Tour pros use.  The new guys with new sponsor contracts don't get the same allowances at seasoned contact pros.  You are correct, what's in their bag is NOT spec wise, what the average Joe golfer buys off the shelf at the LGS.

I understand the practical reasoning behind DCI's ... good luck on becoming a single digit.

• Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I couldnt care less if you come out with plastic clubs AS LONG AS YOU ARENT SLOW AND KEEP MOVING.

Dont care if you wear a shirt, I dont care if you bring AC/DC and tow them around while they play a rock concert, I dont care if you play a 10some or a 2some, dont care if you putt all the way into the hole or give 50 foot gimmes.

I literally couldnt care less what anyone does as long as I'm not waiting behind them for 10 mins every hole

• Like 3

20 hours ago, nlinneman20 said:

I couldnt care less if you come out with plastic clubs AS LONG AS YOU ARENT SLOW AND KEEP MOVING.

Dont care if you wear a shirt, I dont care if you bring AC/DC and tow them around while they play a rock concert, I dont care if you play a 10some or a 2some, dont care if you putt all the way into the hole or give 50 foot gimmes.

I literally couldnt care less what anyone does as long as I'm not waiting behind them for 10 mins every hole

Exactly, just yesterday I replayed the front after strolling up to a group that was waiting for the green to clear on a 440 yd

par 4. 

Makes no sense.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

3 hours ago, puttingmatt said:

Exactly, just yesterday I replayed the front after strolling up to a group that was waiting for the green to clear on a 440 yd

par 4. 

Makes no sense.

Dude I am an absolute magnet for slow groups being in front of me.

Guys lining up every putt, searching for 20 mins, shanking tee shot into the woods 20 yards in front of the tee box.  Not sure I've ever been behind a fast group.

Took my son out for 9 holes last week, got behind a foursome that was part of a men's league.  They were in the woods looking for 10 mins, then their next shots they were all around the water looking and hitting.  They got to the green, started lining up putts like they were putting for eagle.

Thankfully they let us play through after that but it just seems to be getting worse even though everything you read today is 'pace of play', 'how to play faster', etc.

I don't get the whole shaming thing...play the clubs that bring you joy and happiness in golf.  

I play Single Length Irons and Variable length Irons and I ha e a set of Ram blades I game from time to time...are they optimal for a 13 handicap?  Hell no...does it feel good to hit a little cutter from 140 with a blade 7 iron and stick it close every now and Then?  Hell yes.

I do not play competitive tournament golf and don't plan on it.

Have fun.  Hit the ball, find it, hit it again!

I couldn't hit much at the range today and it has been a while since I had a day this bad.  I know exactly what was wrong, but my body wouldn't cooperate.  However, I was still able to hit the crap out of my Ping Blueprint 2 Iron (the only Blueprint club I have - bought it for fun).  I couldn't hit any Callaway Apex DCB iron, but that little 2 was no problem.  I think iron head forgiveness is overrated.  The stock shafts in "game improvement" clubs tend to be lighter with more flex compared to the "players" clubs, so that person who "shouldn't be using blades" probably just needs a different shaft.  If that isn't the problem, then they probably won't be able to hit any iron head and need lessons.

• Like 1

Guilty as charged! 

I shame my 15-handicap buddy who uses MP-5. When he got them I said, "Welcome to your first phase of thinking you're good enough to play blades lol". When complains about hitting fat shots and inconsistent distances I tell him he should get bigger irons. 

It's just good natured ribbing on the square / tough love, I'd only do that to friends! I actually do really believe that playing/practicing with smaller clubs helps you get better.

Edited by geesecougar2

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

35 minutes ago, NHenson815 said:

I couldn't hit much at the range today and it has been a while since I had a day this bad.  I know exactly what was wrong, but my body wouldn't cooperate.  However, I was still able to hit the crap out of my Ping Blueprint 2 Iron (the only Blueprint club I have - bought it for fun).  I couldn't hit any Callaway Apex DCB iron, but that little 2 was no problem.  I think iron head forgiveness is overrated.  The stock shafts in "game improvement" clubs tend to be lighter with more flex compared to the "players" clubs, so that person who "shouldn't be using blades" probably just needs a different shaft.  If that isn't the problem, then they probably won't be able to hit any iron head and need lessons.

I think the lightweight shaft focus has gotten out of hand with irons. I find it very difficult to keep a consistent tempo and keep the shaft on the proper plane with lightweight shafts.  But if I want graphite shafts in my irons (for reasons other than weight) I would need to get a custom set in order to get anything off the shelf with something heavier than about a 65 g shaft.

Edited by Texas Golfer
  • Like 2

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882

I've carried them a long time, been shamed only twice. 1st time , really respected the guy (near scratch), his comment rattled me for 1st 5 holes, then I played even with him. That ended up being a positive experience because it steeled me a bit.The 2nd was young turks with the full get up of gear and testosterone. I went -2 in 1st five holes, their swings got quicker & quicker and rest of day they ate dust. Also positive day, so I just don't care, most guys have latest & greatest of players' CB, most don't care what i carry, I never talk gear unless asked, never ask club choice always ask & answer in yardage choice. 

On 7/14/2021 at 8:02 PM, MtlJeff said:

I have had friends work in big box stores. A couple of them have told me they were told to discourage blades , or other things like X stiff shafts not out of some "shaming" policy, but because those items tended to have high level of returns.

This!  I walked into a PGSTSS last year to randomly hit some clubs.  The guy simply "couldn't" believe that I need an X-stiff shaft or that those SGI irons he recommended were going 200 yards for a 7-iron. I was like "dude-even I know enough about golf that my 7-iron shouldn't be going 200 yards. Plus, I played ZZ-lites as a 14-year old 120lb kid.  Pretty sure these are feeling a bit whippy".  

Everyone has their own biases. The key to being a good analyst/consultant/salesperson is recognizing them and back-burnering them so that each situation can be analyzed dispassionately.  

I for one like blades: it gets me off the "chasing distance" merry go round.  I don't need a d*** measuring contest to see who can hit their 6-iron furthest. I love the feel of a well-struck blade and the feedback it provides.  With that said, I am not quite good enough to play a mixed set, but am getting closer.  I have a set of 2021 Callaway Apex MB/Pro purchased here and my misses on the MB part of the set are getting tighter and tighter!  Sure, that is due to improved patience, but the MB irons provide incredible feedback.  I love CB too.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 11:21 PM, Fairway14 said:

Blade putter :

246249855_bladeputter.jpg.26d2ebb73397dc4191c29eba2a2ba94b.jpg

I have one of those! Just haven't tried playing with it yet. It was my Father-in-law's and the only memento I have from him. He was a great golfer even though his right side was wrecked by polio. He is missed.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

It's a slow day today so I read all of this.   In hindsight I wish I could have that time back to stare blankly at my email inbox.  I feel dirty for even commenting on this thread keeping it going.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

19 hours ago, Texas Golfer said:

I think the lightweight shaft focus has gotten out of hand with irons. I find it very difficult to keep a consistent tempo and keep the shaft on the proper plane with lightweight shafts.  But if I want graphite shafts in my irons (for reasons other than weight) I would need to get a custom set in order to get anything off the shelf with something heavier than about a 65 g shaft.

Yes, during fittings customers are told "your swing speed and ball speed is best with the light weight shafts". Sadly, out on the golf course the customer soon discovers his new set of super light shafted clubs harms his swing tempo-rhythm and he misses lots of greens.

The incompetent fitters like to say " the numbers don't lie". But they don't realize that numbers generated from swinging the same club a dozen or more times in a row from a perfect flat lie is not what a player produces during an actual round of golf.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

24 minutes ago, BHI 99 said:

Is the blade shaming thing kinda like the guys that the leave bands on their cigars when they smoke them? 

Or vice versa?  

Well hmmmm--- I do my own thing I play blades and leave the cigar label on too--- Of course I march to the beat of my own drum anyhow---- But thought I would put that out there for ya---- But seriously I am not going to dictate what someone else hits. Whatever makes them happy and whatever they play the best with is ok with me. The cigar thing I do it amongst other things to stir up some of the old farts at my club

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

19 hours ago, Texas Golfer said:

Well things are repeating themselves-- In the late 70s and early 80s the rage was iron heads-- Good example was one of the few mistakes Macgregor made ( along with the split sole MTs) and that were the Syncrolite iron heads. Those things hit terrible. Then all most all of them copied Ping with the CB heads which are lighter. Yep when I was first recovering from my accident I got into that light weight graphite thing in my irons. Lost my feel and when I started getting strong and healing I was hooking the stuff out of the graphite irons. Yeah I went back to my blades. Now if you look at my signature it will throw someone off on my metal woods. There I am a little lighter on my shafts but if you look I have lots of lead tape on the bottom. In other words the overall weight of my metals is more than it seems on paper. I have the M-6 set on 9* draw but can hit it high if I need to. For me I have always set my clubs on feel and weight to feel. I have a SW machine but never SW my personal clubs. But for my stuff I always think outside the box anyhow

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Long time Oklahoma State men's golf coach had a rule that a team member could play muscle back blades only if his collegiate tournament scoring average was 69 or better. True story.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter