blade shaming ?

Fairway14

Blade Shamers are clowns.  I personally have big time respect for anyone who plays blades.  I bought a set of 712mbs recently as a backup.  I grew up playing Titleist and Wilson Staff blades and playing them gives me great joy.    IMO you'll get 10x more "ooh cool blades" vs unknowing pompous clowns mouthing off.  And even if they do who gives a rats glutes.   And all the more better if you beat them playing blades.  On a personal level my scores arent much different playing blades vs any other irons.

Edited by mosesgolf
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max Fujikura Tour Spec 7.2 Stiff
PING G425 17.5 Tour 75 Stiff
PING G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff

PING G425 23.5 9 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
PING I210 5-PW DGS 120 Stiff
Ping Glide 50 54 

Kirkland 60

TM Spider 38

1 hour ago, Lasorcier said:

Is that a real thing to leave the band on a cigar when smoking it?  That seems pretty stupid.

When you pay $60 for a high end cigar, you want everyone to know it!!

As for the shaming thing.... I mostly get good comments on my clubs. I have both MBs and Players CBs and score the same with all of them. As for looking at clubs in big box stores, If I want to hit something, I tell them what I want to hit and pull out my roll of lead tape. Never had a problem with any of the sales people. If someone asks what club I hit on a given shot, I just tell them the yardage I played and if I hit it clean. I think most of the stuff people mention is gamesmanship more than anything. People trying to get in your head to throw you off your game.

BT

Cobra LTD Pro 10.5° HZRDUS Blk 75 6.0 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Mamiya Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

2 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

Is that a real thing to leave the band on a cigar when smoking it?  That seems pretty stupid.

Even better is the places that buy fake bands

A friend used to have a cigar warehouse/ distributorship on Flagler street in Miami

The cigars came in graded bundles from Honduras and Nicaragua and had no bands- the retailers then put their own bands on that could be anything ( fake cohiba as common as a fake scotty )

Edited by miamistomp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never realized there was a debate over removing the band of a cigar before smoking it.

But don't smoke it with the cellophane wrapper still on...

...I won't make that mistake--twice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Odyssey White Hot XG #1 w/ SuperStroke jumbo

On 7/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Fairway14 said:

I know several amateur players, from 0 to 12 , who in recent years seem to have been shamed out of playing blades. Koepka and some other pros winning with big head cavity back irons has caused amateurs and Tour pros a like to maybe "feel ashamed" for playing muscle back blade irons. A few months ago longtime blade user Ricky Fowler put in his bag a set of cavity back irons. My guess is that he was tired of the eye rolls from people who looked in his bag after he missed a cut.
Have you or someone you know been shamed out of playing muscle back blade irons ? Do you agree that blade shaming is a real thing ?

When you play for a living and get in the severe funk he’s been in, you do what one needs to do to crawl out of that funk. Nice to see him on top of the boats today by the way!!

3 hours ago, Stinger83 said:

People don't shame my bag cuz I'm usually 50 yards ahead of them  🚨

I know the feeling all too well. 😂 

Ping G400 Max Fujikura Tour Spec 7.2 Stiff
PING G425 17.5 Tour 75 Stiff
PING G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff

PING G425 23.5 9 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
PING I210 5-PW DGS 120 Stiff
Ping Glide 50 54 

Kirkland 60

TM Spider 38

On 7/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, mukster said:

Shaming is saved for the guys who wear Crocs. 

Shaming is for FOOLS!

image.png.a0b5da970c3a76ba6bbeeb529db6ed80.png

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

57 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Shaming is for FOOLS!

image.png.a0b5da970c3a76ba6bbeeb529db6ed80.png

Lol! 

You know why Crocs have those holes in them? 
That’s where all your self esteem leaks out! 

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft

Mizuno ST 180 5 wood 16*

Srixon H85 19* hybrid
Srixon H85 22* hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-AW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Cleveland VP Milled No. 3 putter

Shame anytime I could care less. I hit blades better. Always have and probably always will. I hit them more solid with better control. My scores show it and I’ve never hit any club to get someone’s approval. I use what I hit best. 

• Like 2

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

What about 4x4 shaming? Big time 20 handicap city slicker parks way back in the parking lot? That truck is never going off road. Maybe the 4wd will engage on the way home from golf galaxy on a winters day when there was nothing to do but hit into a simulator then post on Instagram about all the 300 yard drives. 🏆

Maybe Dad shaming should be a thing. You know, that same 20 HCP, blade playing 4x4 driving, cigar band smoking Instagram posting, ignoring his wife to drink beer and play Golden Tee with the boyz while the kids are glued to a device so they’ll shut up types. 

This stuff is never not funny! 🤣🤣

• Like 1

It seems to me that the act of "shaming" someone for their actions can only be referred to as such if the person on the receiving end actually feels shame as a result of it.  Otherwise the said shaming is really only an opinion.  The feeling of shame only comes if one recognizes that they are doing something wrong or foolish.  Playing blades is not something that falls into that category for me and as such I cannot be "shamed" for doing it.

Bottom line?  If you think you are being shamed then you probably are.

8 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

Maybe Dad shaming should be a thing. You know, that same 20 HCP, blade playing 4x4 driving, cigar band smoking Instagram posting, ignoring his wife to drink beer and play Golden Tee with the boyz while the kids are glued to a device so they’ll shut up types. 

Quality. 

I'm still stuck on the $60 cigar thing.  At least an expensive golf club like a pretty blade will last longer than the cigar, although that could depend on temper and level of intoxication.  But I wouldn't shame somebody for it.  I would hope it is a good cigar though.

2 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

Quality. 

I'm still stuck on the $60 cigar thing.  At least an expensive golf club like a pretty blade will last longer than the cigar, although that could depend on temper and level of intoxication.  But I wouldn't shame somebody for it.  I would hope it is a good cigar though.

Its a diminishing returns thing, IMHO. 

Blade stigma: I have blades, I must be good. 

Cigar stigma: I have a $60 cigar, I must know the difference. 

Ball stigma: these are $100/dozen, I’m good. 

Shaft stigma: Mine are extra stiff, because I’m a big time swinger. 

275 yard driver stigma: short knocker 

325 yard stigma: I’m really f’n good 

feel free to continue.....

It’s hilarious what Karen and Todd are up to these days. The Jones’s retired and went to Florida. 

🤣🤣🤣

I was browsing the MPF's for the irons I played when I was a single digit hc(8) and it was less than 400, the number typically associated with blades. They were the Cleveland TA3 (cast). Even though many would say only lower single digit hc should play blades I think that depends on the person, in my case I hook the ball and less offset helps me. Plus I have a tendency to overswing (like many amateurs), however, playing unforgiving blades (or small cb's) is a very good cure for that. It's a shame that more higher hc'er don't try blades(or small cb's) to help them with overswinging. 

Edited by chipa

On 7/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Fairway14 said:

Referring to Anser/Newport style putters as "blades" is a separate subject for another thread.

More relevant to this particular thread is putter shaming. Blade iron shaming has been happening for about 25 years now, but shaming anyone not playing a big mallet head putter is a relatively new thing, gaining momentum the past few years.

This is so true.  I was putting with a ping nome for the last 7-8 years and liked it but switched to an old school ping anser 3 this year. After a new grip and some lead tape my putting has improved, specifically lag putting.  I liked the stability of the mallet on short putts but my distance control is so much better with the anser and i feel like the extra feedback I get forces me to be more mindful of my stroke.  I've had scotty's, odyssey's, other pings, and I can say I am putting my best probably ever with the 40 year old anser.

I just put my old 710 mb's back in the bag today. Hardly any groves on the 7 and 9 iron. I've tried to go to something more forgiving with the 919 tours. I love them. But for some reason my misses were wider. 

So I'm probably going to order a new set of 620 mb's. They just work better for my swing. No idea why but I'm tired of looking for something I already found. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

I just put my old 710 mb's back in the bag today. Hardly any groves on the 7 and 9 iron. I've tried to go to something more forgiving with the 919 tours. I love them. But for some reason my misses were wider. 

So I'm probably going to order a new set of 620 mb's. They just work better for my swing. No idea why but I'm tired of looking for something I already found. 

Those 620's are some nice looking clubs. I just got my first set of Titleist irons I've ever tried since I started playing in 1995 and they really look nice, '99 DCI 990B.

• Like 1

Dug my MP 67s out and took em for a spin today. Hit them better than my gamers and anything that I have demo’d recently. They are back in the bag (for now). 

play what makes you happy. Who cares what people think. 

• Like 4

Titleist TS2 / Blueboard
Titleist 915 3 and 5 wood

Srixon U85 4
Srixon Z785
Callaway Jaws 52/56/60
Scotty NP2
TM TP5

It's been a while since I had a blade-like set in my bag, but recently,  I decided to get a set of PING Blueprint irons.

Last Summer, I had S55's and enjoyed the heck out of them, but so far the Blueprints are as much fun or more.

I love the look, the sound and the flight of the ball.  

It's funny, but they looked small behind the ball for the first few shots.  After four rounds, I'm used to their look and feel. 

The beauty of golf is that there is no one set way to play the game. Figuring out the club types and set-ups that allow you to play your best golf and/or give you the greatest enjoyment is one of the joys of the game. A golf buddy just put MP-20 blades in the bag this year and has seen his handicap drop from a 5 to 1. His bad days have been bit worse, but his good rounds have been substantially better this year, so blades clearly work for him. Unfortunately, even though I've played blades in the past, I don't fall into the category of guys that play better with them.

Play what you want. Just don't be the guy that sprays everything left and right and claims to need blades because you like to "work" the ball.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM Max 9 - Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Titleist 818 H2 21 at C4 (22) - MRC Tensei AV White 90 S
Ping i20 4i-PW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

I don't know if the CB's Fowler is playing has been discussed(how do you search a specific thread??) but it appears his "new" irons are the 2017 King Forged CB with a MPF of 398, which is close to some straight solid blades I've seen. This isn't at all GI but would be somewhat easier to hit that his other blades and is a lot less than many other forged CB's I've seen.