anyone playing without irons?

nostatic

Perhaps heretical and insane (guilty), but given the prevalence of good hybrids and good wedges, I'm wondering if anyone has forsaken their irons (or almost all of them) and gone with a combination of head covers and wedges.

Some of it is semantics (when is a 9i a 9i?), but you can get most any wedge of your choice (I'm loving my Fourteens) in say, 60/56/50/45 (the 45 is a 46 bent 1*). You can do something like G425 hybrids 34/30/26/22 (then on to woods of your choice). For those with lower swing speeds, 4*-5* between clubs can work for gapping. And the hybrids are adjustable so you can hit the 34 at 35. Then you really only need a 40* club (pick your favorite 9-ish iron).

Perhaps just rationalization to buy some more forged wedges. Or I need some food...

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | G425 5W Orange 75S - 4H-7H Orange 80S

ZX7 8-AW Recoil 95F3 | Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil W Proto | Nova

in rotation: F9 3W Devo 7S - 3H Devo 8S - ER2B

I played with irons today, I just couldn't get them to do much. The wedges got action, however.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I am actually thinking about doing this in my next round.  I am so bad with short irons and wedges that I'm better off attempting to distance control my 11 wood instead.  I'll carry a 64 degree wedge for short shots (odd that I have confidence in that but not a 7 iron - I know), but that will be the only non-wood/non-hybrid in the bag.  

47 minutes ago, gentles said:

@Obeeis a great player who is close to this 

I'm not a "great" player, but thank you for the thought. 🙂

I do carry 8-iron, 9-iron, and 4 wedges, so not exactly "all" hybrids/woods, though I could make that work, I'm sure. LOL

• Haha 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

2 hours ago, Obee said:

I'm not a "great" player, but thank you for the thought. 🙂

I do carry 8-iron, 9-iron, and 4 wedges, so not exactly "all" hybrids/woods, though I could make that work, I'm sure. LOL

This was my reasoning, and is different from the SGI/hybrid iron approach. Essentially a player who for whatever reason is more comfortable with hybrids than irons, but likes proper (rather than GI) wedges. I'm looking at options and likely could just get by with a strongish-loft 9i - wedges 45* up, head covers 35* down.

One thing that has surprised me is the spin to be had on my 5H. No issue holding a green. Curious to mess with 6 and 7H.

• Like 2

I have more covers in my bag then not.  Head covers for woods and hybrids down through 7 iron.  8 is the longest iron in my bag.  You just have to get over hitting a 32* hybrid from 155.  It feels weird.

I'm a high single digit handicap.  Shot even par for 9 holes yesterday.  Which seems to be the case lately.  I'll shoot 36 to 38 on the front, then 40 or 42 on the back as my back goes south and the heat gets crazy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 596 said:

I have more covers in my bag then not.  Head covers for woods and hybrids down through 7 iron.  8 is the longest iron in my bag.  You just have to get over hitting a 32* hybrid from 155.  It feels weird.

I'm a high single digit handicap.  Shot even par for 9 holes yesterday.  Which seems to be the case lately.  I'll shoot 36 to 38 on the front, then 40 or 42 on the back as my back goes south and the heat gets crazy. 

I feel your pain. My back goes both south and west at the same time. While the rest of the body heads north east. It's a compass party.

Given a couple of recent results, I think I'll get over the weird. The experiments continue...

I've been headed in that direction as I've aged. Doubt I pull anymore irons out of the bag tho. 

My senior bag.......

Callaway Rogue  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6 hybrids reg
Taylormade SIM2  7-g irons ventus blue
Cobra  King Snakebite  52* & 58*
Odyssey Triforce 2 putter
Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black

53 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I think @Obee has 17 hybrids (but will still kick my butt)

And @QuigleyDU has a bag full of drivers because at 123mph swingspeed, a 115 yard 2nd shot is really just a 300 yard drive over the green to the next fairway. Because who needs to putt when you can hit bombs in the thin mountain air...

HAHAHA.. Phil is my spirit animal. I try to just hit it onto the next tee box. That way I dont even have to putt.. lol... 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

My bag is going this way! My longest iron right now is a 7 irons, but I'm looking for a 7 hybrid at this time. Don't have time to practice anymore, so I figure make the game as easy as possible. 

• Like 2

Ping g400 Max 9*
Cobra f7 14.5*
Cobra f6 baffler 17.5

TM V steel 21

G25 23*, 27*, 31*

Srixon 765 7-A
Cleveland Rtx-3 58*

Ping Karsten Craz-e 

Camo hoofer 

I played hybrids from 3-PW for quite a while but later switched back to irons for 7-PW (still gaming 3-6 hybrids). The setup was listed here:

https://www.golfwrx.com/636394/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-smashgolfball/

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees (set to 6.5), Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 14 degrees (set to 12.5), VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-5H), Ping G30 (6H)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Titleist Velocity

I’m 63 and have hit the wall with my irons… Can’t hit any of them over 140 into the wind… Played Trump National in Los Angeles and was on a 500 yard par 5 in two with a driver and a 3 wood… I hit my woods and hybrids well and am a good wedge and bunker player along with being a good putter… The only irons I really use in a round are the 7 from 120 and an 8 from 100… I hit knock downs and 3/4 shots only. My 4 and 6 Hybrids have replaced all my longer irons… Best part, I can buy new irons and spend next to nothing…

• Like 1

I’m in with those who are using 3-6 hybrids and have a 7 hybrid in waiting for an opportunity to make the move to full time to the bag. . At that time 7 clubs will  have covers . Actually use iron covers on all but the GW and SW. 

I look at my bag and see my dad's setup but he preferred woods. God rest his soul.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

I do not have a coventional iron in my bag. I have a driver, 3 wood, then it hybrids from 18* to 46*, then 2 wedges(CBX2's), putter. The hybrids at 18*and 21* are Snakes Eyes, then from 24* to 46* are a set from Gigagolf. I love playing these, as I just got them late last year(2020), so I am still in the honeymoon stage with them. Very easy to hit, no need to swing for the fences with these. The ball(Cally Supersoft matte green) gets up easily, and distances for me are the same as when I had Cally X-20's in the bag. I am a senior at 64, with an 80 mph swing speed, never really hit irons all that well. These are somewhat comforting to swing, and I'm keeping the ball in play a lot more. The looks I get from the younger players I sometimes get paired with is off the charts, until the see me launch one from the rough, and land it on the green. They say "Man, play what works"! My scores are dropping every round, and golf is actually fun again. Gigagolf can be found online, and you have options when you order, and the set with a grip, and grip size of your choice, shaft length of your choosing, and shaft choice, was just over $300, and took a week to get from Florida. They look great, and could be from one of the big names, as far as quality of the clubs themselves. I will be playing these for quite some time... 

Edited by drb1956
Clarifying
  • Like 2

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

On 7/17/2021 at 3:25 AM, SmashGolfBall said:

I played hybrids from 3-PW for quite a while but later switched back to irons for 7-PW (still gaming 3-6 hybrids). The setup was listed here:

https://www.golfwrx.com/636394/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-smashgolfball/

That was an awesome setup, very cool indeed. Been thinking of going 7i - pw too but with 2, 4 , and 6 hybrids , as I don't need close gapping for the long clubs.

Home bag: Driver: Titleist 910D3 9.5o; ; 3h: Nickent 3ds; 5h: Acer 5h; Irons: Srixon Z355 5-pw, AW: Taylormade RSi (50o); SW: Titleist 65o; Putter: Wilson

Travel bag: 3w: Nike Covert 2; 4h: TM M1 ('17) ; MD Golf 7i & 9i, PW: McGregor PW; LB: Cleveland 60o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Why???

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.8°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade 3-E, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°(bent to 52°) / 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

On 7/16/2021 at 10:27 AM, HoosierHacker89 said:

My bag is going this way! My longest iron right now is a 7 irons, but I'm looking for a 7 hybrid at this time. Don't have time to practice anymore, so I figure make the game as easy as possible. 

I'm thinking of doing the same and I have time to practice, just don't enjoy it. If I'm doing something golf related, it's playing. I just bought a Cobra T Rail 2 7 hybrid to try. If it works, I'll get the rest.

• Like 1

I’ve got a set of Wilson Staff Launch Pads in 4-Sw with Px 5.5 steel shafts. Been playing OL RadSpeeds last 3 rounds but think I’ll try the Pads again. Hard to give up my old FG17 blades that are as easy to hit as the Pads. My miss is usually a tad heavy and the Pads are designed to alleviate the heavy shot, and do it well. 

1 hour ago, boggyman said:

I’ve got a set of Wilson Staff Launch Pads in 4-Sw with Px 5.5 steel shafts. Been playing OL RadSpeeds last 3 rounds but think I’ll try the Pads again. Hard to give up my old FG17 blades that are as easy to hit as the Pads. My miss is usually a tad heavy and the Pads are designed to alleviate the heavy shot, and do it well. 

Been thinking about the hybrid-style irons like the Launch Pads. Played with a friend a few weeks back who moved from Ping G series irons to HB turbos and was just launching high, soft landing darts all day. Set like that would probably make more sense for me, given my 20-25 rounds per year and one range session per week with all the other stuff I have going on in my life between work, kids, etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

Been thinking about the hybrid-style irons like the Launch Pads. Played with a friend a few weeks back who moved from Ping G series irons to HB turbos and was just launching high, soft landing darts all day. Set like that would probably make more sense for me, given my 20-25 rounds per year and one range session per week with all the other stuff I have going on in my life between work, kids, etc.

Absolutely! My play has been cut short lately due to my Achilles and family issues medically. They’re so way to hit. The Cleveland’s are great sticks as well. Played a couple sets of those myself.