The Worst Playing Partners

We were teeing off on the first hole as a threesome the other day ... clubhouse hollers out to tell us to hold on they've matched us up with a single ... the "single" turns out to be a dad with his 2 sons, both under 7, who are both going to "play a little" from the fairways. He told us to play ahead so they didn't slow us down - even though the course was packed and we were waiting on every shot. And then asked to play through on the second hole - even though the course was packed and we were waiting on every shot. After the second hole, they drove off to look for open holes to play ... and we never saw them again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I met a guy, Joey, who worked on my office copier who asked me if I wanted to join up with his regular group of 12 that played Sunday mornings and had an opening. I was happy to. I walked but he was in a cart. I was shocked to see him drive the cart up onto the tee, between the green and a sand trap or try to spin doughnuts on the gravel. After the round, one of the regulars invited me back but that Joey would not be asked to return. I barely knew Joey and was happy to be rid of him.

• Like 1

You hit the trifecta. 

I'll add the guy who wants to know your life history not related golf.

Married, where you from, job history,vacation plans, how many kids, political preference, favorite sports teams, etc.

Ask me ONE of those questions on each nine I might answer you.

Just here to relax and play some good golf hopefully.

• Like 4

I'm mostly a ready golf player as most recreation players seem to be, just makes the round faster. If you're ready take your shot if no one else is or in the way, we know how it goes. 

Well one evening round I'm playing with a bunch of singles who are trying to get in a round before the sun goes down. Except 1 guy was just trying force us to stick to the "Who's away plays first" rule but the other 2 guys were just good with ready golf, no one was in anyone's way, we kept a good pace but this one guy was just brutal. We basically told him we're going to break off, he can play on his own and figure who's away solo. 

He wasn't too happy but he never caught us, guess he just slowed down but the other 2 guys I played with we just flew through the 18 and got in our round before sun went down. Was a great 14-15 holes with them. 

• Like 4

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

The guy who worries about your game than his. I played golf in Hawaii a few years ago with my nephew and brother in law. There was a single that joined us.. My nephew is much younger so he plays one tee back from my brother in law and I. The single who was older than me plays from th back tees with my nephew. His drives were never close to mine and he barely reached my brother in law’s who is usually about 10 yards shorter than me. The nephew always out drives us. After a few holes he comes up to me and tells me to start playing back where he is. I ignore him. He tells later if I’m not going play back I shouldn’t take any gimmes. At one point he drives over in his cart after I hit a ball in the water and tells me to make sure I count the penalty. I’m not sure why he was so concerned about my score. He never bothered my brother in law who was also out driving him and playing a little better than him. I don’t know maybe we were playing for something I didn’t know about.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Yep, you found the unicorn of the worst pairing.

For me, and I am super lucky because I rarely see them unless we are trying a new person out to join the group are these three types of guys:

1.  The not very good guy who gets angry about not being very good.

2. The guy who can't stop talking about the gambling, the guy who tells you over the putt, "This is for $X if you make it..."  That sort of thing.

3. The living in the past narcissist guy.  Constantly telling you about his great shots, or recounting his great hole, or what it was like 5 years ago for his game, and if they are new to the area, how it should be done here based on where they came from.

When I go to play golf I want to laugh, compete, and have a good time.  If I lose, OK, if I win OK.  If I don't laugh?  Well that's a crappy round of golf.

• Like 3

I had to stop playing with 3 other guys after a year of watching and locating all 4 balls on every shot for the full 18 holes.  Nothing against them, I enjoyed the game with them, but none of them could see and 2 of them couldn't hear either. They'd be looking for their ball more then 100 yards from where it went.  I'd hear on every shot taken "Did you see where that went?" I'm patient, but that finally got old.

Edited by 596
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, tatertot said:

We were teeing off on the first hole as a threesome the other day ... clubhouse hollers out to tell us to hold on they've matched us up with a single ... the "single" turns out to be a dad with his 2 sons, both under 7, who are both going to "play a little" from the fairways. He told us to play ahead so they didn't slow us down - even though the course was packed and we were waiting on every shot. And then asked to play through on the second hole - even though the course was packed and we were waiting on every shot. After the second hole, they drove off to look for open holes to play ... and we never saw them again.

Thats on the course, single with two kids is a freaking threesome. welcome to growing the game. Get all the money u can lol.

36 minutes ago, 596 said:

I had to stop playing with 3 other guys after a year of watching and locating all 4 balls on every shot for the full 18 holes.  Nothing against them, I enjoyed the game with them, but none of them could see and 2 of them couldn't hear either. They'd be looking for their ball more then 100 yards from where it went.  I'd hear on every shot taken "Did you see where that went?" I'm patient, but that finally got old.

I hate reading this ... I'm afraid I'm becoming "that guy". More and more I'm turning to my reg playing partner and saying "no clue ... any idea where that one's at." And sometimes they're right down the middle. I've already gone to the yellow ball to help follow in the sky. It helps, but when the eyes start to go, there's not much you can do.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 minute ago, tatertot said:

I hate reading this ... I'm afraid I'm becoming "that guy". More and more I'm turning to my reg playing partner and saying "no clue ... any idea where that one's at." And sometimes they're right down the middle. I've already gone to the yellow ball to help follow in the sky. It helps, but when the eyes start to go, there's not much you can do.

I totally understand. It had nothing to do with them as people. I enjoyed the round otherwise.  It was actually exhausting after 18 holes chasing everyone's golf balls for 4 hours.  It made it difficult to concentrate on my game.

11 hours ago, Blonde Line Lizard said:

When I get stuck with Mr. Rules Official, I just keep in mind they are playing for a green jacket and I just play my own game.  

I generally don't talk to them, I just keep to myself.

In a casual round I play by the rules.  I am posting a score for handicap so I feel it is important to be honest relative to the rules of golf.  In a casual round whether my playing partners do or don't is really of little consequence to me unless it is someone who tees it up in tournaments and plays in the net fields.  Most golfers don't play in any kind of tournament so does it really matter?  No.  Of course there are a few things I will stress.  1) Fix your pitch marks on the green.  If a person doesn't know how I teach them.  When we all do this the greens can recover and are a pleasure to putt on for everyone.  2) Don't walk on my line when I putt.  3) Play ready golf.  When a person is ready hit away.  4) Have fun and enjoy the golfers you're playing with.  That is the most important rule!!!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

2 hours ago, doobz said:

For me it's people who offer unsolicited advice. Anything else I can deal with.

Agreed.  I don't offer anyone I play with any advice, even if asked.  I tell them the result of a swing can be caused by a variety of issues and the best thing to do is take lessons from a good teaching pro.  This way they learn your swing and what is working and what isn't.  I will mention that the course during a round isn't the place to make corrections because a swing change will take time and practice to get it to stick.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

This happened years ago, but I'll never forget it.  Playing 9 holes after work with a co-worker and two (2) of his friends that I'd never met before in one of their once a week twilight things.  FIRST hole....I hit driver/5 iron onto a Par 5....one of the two (2) guys I'd never met before scraped it all over the place, and reached the green in either 5 or 6 strokes.  I'm casually looking over my 30 ft. eagle putt (which I don't have every day) while his buddy is outside of me trying to decide if he should chip or putt....anyway, this jackass rudely informs me that "we play ready golf".....I wanted to club him over the head.  First of all, they may have gotten mad for me....a stranger....playing out of turn.  Second of all, I just waited for you to finally reach the green, so chill the eff out....I ended up blowing it off, because I honestly don't think he knew if I was putting for Eagle or Bogey.

Now and then I finish something I'm doing early, and decide that I can, after all, get a round in. I'm lucky enough to know (and have tipped) enough starters on local courses that I can almost always sneak on as a single. Most of the time it is great - in fact I've made some really good friends, met some great people. 

But a couple of times? One word: Drunks. 

I do get a but irritated at some of the things mentioned above - unsolicited advice, the Rules Guy, pondering clubs etc. but getting stuck with drunks is a whole different level. Now, I'm not a teetotaler. Don't mind guys having a beer or two during a round. I certainly will at the 19th hole. What I'm talking about here is falling-down-drunk drunks. Last time it happened, I was put with a group of initially friendly guys who's fourth didn't show up. 

By the fifth or sixth hole they were well on their way to being blasted (Jack and Coronas). By seven and eight I started getting quite worried. They were not just seriously irritating, they were getting dangerous. One guy completely whiffed on a drive (whiskey isn't really great for the old hand-eye coordination) and just cursed and threw his club into these bushes next to the tee box. Its a good thing no one was there. Then they started getting really aggressive with each other.

About halfway down the 8th fairway, I quietly took this path I knew, a shortcut to the clubhouse, and disappeared from the group. (Thank goodness I was walking and didn't need to try to get my bag off a cart.) Went to the course manager and one of his starters, told them a threesome was about to be on 9 heading for the turn, and maybe they should be observed. And maybe, in fact, the local police should be called to help with the observation. Then I headed to my car and bolted. 

Well - you asked about our worst playing partners. That's mine - blind drunks on a golf course.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I had a strange experience with some playing partners a few weeks ago. I always play as a single so I get paired with some interesting people from time to time. Fathers Day weekend I get paired up with another random single, and a older man with his 30~ish year old son. This old guy wasted no time, blink and you miss it, tees up the ball and before you know it, it's in the air, not necessarily straight, but speed is of the essence. His son, serial slicer, I'm talking boomerang so hard it's almost coming back. I hit a poor first tee shot, nothing crazy, quickly dropped, finished out the hole. Second hole, everyone was on the green, I was 10 yards off, hit a poor chip short and the old guy immediately said "we're just going to hole out and go ahead, we usually get around here in 3 hours" in a gruff tone, essentially saying you're awful and slowing us down. Was kinda shocking honestly. Was nice waiting for them on every tee shot after that because he was pushing everything, his son was slicing everything and they were sharing a cart, whose slowing who down now, that's Karma. Not to mention i play that course pretty much the same time Saturday and Sunday every weekend, I've never had a sub 3:45 round. 

Most irritating is the playing partner who on the green stands within the vision of someone putting.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

12 hours ago, 596 said:

I totally understand. It had nothing to do with them as people. I enjoyed the round otherwise.  It was actually exhausting after 18 holes chasing everyone's golf balls for 4 hours.  It made it difficult to concentrate on my game.

I’m old but I just had my eyes refurbished so I can see pretty good. My partner who is older can tell you which bush your ball went in from 200+ yards and can probably tell you the number on the ball😁. Another guy in our group needs to be watched as he misses at least 50% of his drives. We’ve learned to take turns watching him because it speeds the round up. It’s tiring and thus we share the task. I totally understand you describing it as exhausting as I wouldn’t want to play with someone I had to watch every shot. It can suck the fun out of the round. You should look into sharing the duty unless you’re the only one who can see. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

14 hours ago, 596 said:

A year is long enough for that. 

I applaud your patience.

Realize that we may all be those guys someday.........

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

14 hours ago, tatertot said:

Switch to the red ball, I'm almost blind and can see them for miles.

1. Drunks

2. Constant talkers.

3. Speed golfers. I'm not a slow player, but the guy that is constantly in motion, and driving their cart ahead while I'm addressing the ball gets under my skin.

4. Person who has to stand directly behind me on every tee shot, even after I've asked them not to multiple times.

• Like 3

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20