The Worst Playing Partners

45 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

Switch to the red ball, I'm almost blind and can see them for miles.

What are you playing? I've play Bridgestone Tours for years.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

20 hours ago, Markrip said:

The guy who worries about your game than his. I played golf in Hawaii a few years ago with my nephew and brother in law. There was a single that joined us.. My nephew is much younger so he plays one tee back from my brother in law and I. The single who was older than me plays from th back tees with my nephew. His drives were never close to mine and he barely reached my brother in law’s who is usually about 10 yards shorter than me. The nephew always out drives us. After a few holes he comes up to me and tells me to start playing back where he is. I ignore him. He tells later if I’m not going play back I shouldn’t take any gimmes. At one point he drives over in his cart after I hit a ball in the water and tells me to make sure I count the penalty. I’m not sure why he was so concerned about my score. He never bothered my brother in law who was also out driving him and playing a little better than him. I don’t know maybe we were playing for something I didn’t know about.

Wow! That is just awful. I've played with guys who were obnoxious but this is a whole new level. Well, at least you were in Hawaii when it happened. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

I play with a guy fairly regularly that:

-Always improves his lie, never fails.

-Takes one mullie per side, which is ok but I hate the "Mullie birdie".

-Launches into yelling tirades of "Sh!t, f!ck, etc...." when he's not playing well regardless of the people nearby.

-Demands silence when he's teeing off, so it gets slow/confrontational at courses where the tee boxes are close to greens.  

-Will keep reminding me of my score when I'm playing well since he knows I like to focus on the shot and hole at hand, and worry about my score until after the round.

Then he wants to compare our scores when he plays under a different set of rules. I've learned to tune him out and play my game and have fun. 

I won't get into another guy in the group who plays S L O W, acts like a child when not playing well, and have been know to helicopter clubs and launch the pin like a javelin (pre-COVID, he hasn't launched a pin lately).

WITB:

Driver: PXG Gen 5 0311 XF 
3 Wood: PXG Gen 4 0341X 

7 Wood: Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850 3H 

Irons: Ping i525 5-PW, Mizuno MP-H5 3 iron

Wedges: TM MG2 52*, Mizuno T7 56*
Putter: SC GoLo Select murdered out custom welded neck
Ball: Snell MTB Black

We play a regular group and there are two folks that complain about everything and I mean everything all the time. It's very Bryson like since nothing is ever their fault, one of the guys also replays every shot / putt and what could have been if....luckily I ride with a guy that just likes to enjoy the day and we just try and get as far as possible from the two complainers that also ride together most times. 

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

There's no such thing as a "worst playing partner".

If I'm playing a casual round and I get a chatty partner then I'll enjoy the conversation. If they delve into any type of instruction then I'll thank them and then ask them to not give me advice. Btw - I ALWAYS ask if someone wants a tip if I see they're doing something really off. I never solicit.

If I'm playing a competitive round then I set the tone early. I don't want a chatter box in my ear. My responses will be short or I'll just let the person know I'm not a talker in competitive rounds. I'll chat a bit early. I don't check leaderboards until the 10th hole. That's also where I tend to sharpen my focus and get quieter. 

Be nice, be assertive, and let your playing partners know how you like to play. Then you don't get a bad partner.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 2:25 PM, Vinnieluvv said:

I won't get into another guy in the group who plays S L O W, acts like a child when not playing well, and have been know to helicopter clubs and launch the pin like a javelin (pre-COVID, he hasn't launched a pin lately).

I think it'd take me about a half a round before I decided to never play with that clown again

Edited by rooski
  • Thanks 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

The old guys that keep giving me 'tips' even though I'm clearly better than they are.

I'll miss a single chip and they start giving me a lecture about how to grip the club, wtf.

If I were a woman I'd say they're sexist and patronizing, but my theory is that because I'm short/small and look younger than my age, they treat me like the son they never had or something.

Also every men over 50 who doesn't outdrive me absolutely needs to tell me that they use to drive it as far, or start ranting about how low their score would be if they could drive like that.

46 minutes ago, itsame said:

The old guys that keep giving me 'tips' even though I'm clearly better than they are.

I'll miss a single chip and they start giving me a lecture about how to grip the club, wtf.

Not sure how but I have not once in my golf career ever had this happen to me. I almost want it to cause I have a lot of built up sass to throw back at them if it does but alas my wait continues

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

On 7/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, Vinnieluvv said:

-Launches into yelling tirades of "Sh!t, f!ck, etc...." when he's not playing well regardless of the people nearby.

-Demands silence when he's teeing off, so it gets slow/confrontational at courses where the tee boxes are close to greens.  

-Will keep reminding me of my score when I'm playing well since he knows I like to focus on the shot and hole at hand, and worry about my score until after the round.

Then he wants to compare our scores when he plays under a different set of rules. I've learned to tune him out and play my game and have fun. 

You need new friends UFB

• Like 1

I try not to play out of my foursome for many reasons here.   I do have one buddy that I'll play with once in a while when he needs a guy to complete his regular group, he's a cool guy off the course but on the course it's can only take him in small doses.  Generally shoots in the 80s, hits a great drive and complains about it being off the toe or heel, hits something 20 feet from the pin and complains about it being 20 feet from the pin.   Gets a bad break and complains about the bad break.  Expects to make the 100 foot putt and despite rolling it within a foot he complains about the greens being bumpy or it hitting something.  His entire group leaves the pin in, he wants it pulled.  I finally told him last time we played that I'm not pulling the pin for him until he starts making putts.  Basically is constantly looking for a tour level performance despite never in his life having a tour level game. 

I generally can't stand complainers, slow golfers or somebody who just takes things too serious.  

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

If I'm playing a competitive round then I set the tone early. I don't want a chatter box in my ear. My responses will be short or I'll just let the person know I'm not a talker in competitive rounds. I'll chat a bit early. I don't check leaderboards until the 10th hole. That's also where I tend to sharpen my focus and get quieter. 

I'd be careful on that one, especially if it's a match play event.  I know a lot of guys, and I'm probably guilty as well, once you let them know what gets in your head, they'll use that to their advantage.  Especially if it's as simple as just needing to talk your ear off or not wanting to know what's on the leaderboard. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 minute ago, MountainKing said:

I'd be careful on that one, especially if it's a match play event.  I know a lot of guys, and I'm probably guilty as well, once you let them know what gets in your head, they'll use that to their advantage.  Especially if it's as simple as just needing to talk your ear off or not wanting to know what's on the leaderboard. 

Meh, I don't like to do it, but if someone is pressing on me like that to try to get under my skin, I can be very terse. That wouldn't go over well for the person trying to do it to me. I'm very comfortable in my own skin...if you know what I mean. 

• Haha 1

It’s been said before but agree with drunks. Played with a drunk recently and actually was quite shocked/impressed with his game. The drunker he got the better he played. Dude was scratch level. He offered lessons to me after the round at a below market rate and says he needs to work multiple jobs to afford playing golf. I would have taken his offer if it weren’t the fact he was a complete drunk. Not helping himself grow his clientele by acting like a complete tool. 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:17 AM, Blonde Line Lizard said:

When I get stuck with Mr. Rules Official, I just keep in mind they are playing for a green jacket and I just play my own game. 

Team Best Ball adventure: What's even more fun is being in a group with both a Rules Official and an Anarchist who thinks rules are optional. Between shots, they waged a hole-by-hole battle for my soul. (Fourth member that day told me he didn't want to "get involved.")

Post-round, I informed the group leader the noisy pair would not be in future foursomes with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 7/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, Vinnieluvv said:

why do you regularly play with these people?

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

Out of fear of being "that guy" I never offer any tips of tips unless asked. The one caveat is if someone is aimed way off line and I assume they don't realize. If they play a big predictable shot shape one way or the other then I won't but I've done it a million times before, just not paying attention and lining up way off line and have always been thankful for it.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:09 PM, LUXOR54 said:

I had a strange experience with some playing partners a few weeks ago. I always play as a single so I get paired with some interesting people from time to time. Fathers Day weekend I get paired up with another random single, and a older man with his 30~ish year old son. This old guy wasted no time, blink and you miss it, tees up the ball and before you know it, it's in the air, not necessarily straight, but speed is of the essence. His son, serial slicer, I'm talking boomerang so hard it's almost coming back. I hit a poor first tee shot, nothing crazy, quickly dropped, finished out the hole. Second hole, everyone was on the green, I was 10 yards off, hit a poor chip short and the old guy immediately said "we're just going to hole out and go ahead, we usually get around here in 3 hours" in a gruff tone, essentially saying you're awful and slowing us down. Was kinda shocking honestly. Was nice waiting for them on every tee shot after that because he was pushing everything, his son was slicing everything and they were sharing a cart, whose slowing who down now, that's Karma. Not to mention i play that course pretty much the same time Saturday and Sunday every weekend, I've never had a sub 3:45 round. 

This post jogged my memory about an experience I had a while back. I don't recall exactly what I did - I may have waited to hit my putt rather than played ready golf or visa versa - but an older man, who was playing with his son (son was around my age, so well into adulthood), bit my head off because I wasn't following his rules of golf. This was early in the round, and I'm pretty conscientious when playing with people I don't know, so I'm fairly certain I didn't do anything wrong. I didn't let it get to me cause I was in a good mood, but can envision an alternative scenario in which I reacted the wrong way and the whole experience turned south quickly. Funny part was the son came up to me and more or less apologized for his father's behavior on the next hole. Everything was more or less fine thereafter, but I would prefer to avoid people like him for the rest of my playing days. 

• Like 1

I play with a lot of randoms and have a very high tolerance level and ability to tune annoying people out.

What I absolutely cannot stand are:

Unsolicited swing advice guy. They deserve to die. (ok that was a little harsh but you get the idea) They are the worst.

Racist/sexist/homophobic/political commentary guy.

Drunks.

Slow players/people who refuse to play ready golf, especially in an early AM tee time.

All other annoying behaviors or habits I can deal with and not let it affect my enjoyment of the round or my score. Stuff like a guy always walking in my putting line for example. Should he not do that? He shouldn't, but if he does, I don't really care and it's not going to affect my putt.

Unless we are playing a match or tournament, I don't care what other people do in terms of following the rules. Take a mulligan or two, roll the ball when it's not preferred lies, take a hazard drop that's not exactly legit, do whatever makes you happy as long as you aren't slowing down the pace.

Edited by Bonneville85308

1 hour ago, Shanker84 said:

The one caveat is if someone is aimed way off line and I assume they don't realize.

About once a year, I play with someone who complains, "I keep hitting my ball into the right rough!" I then tell him, "It's because you're pointed that way."

The player then makes an adjustment to his aim point, and has (mostly) decent tee shots the rest of the way. I view this as 45% swing advice, and 55% slow-play prevention.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

24 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

About once a year, I play with someone who complains, "I keep hitting my ball into the right rough!" I then tell him, "It's because you're pointed that way."

The player then makes an adjustment to his aim point, and has (mostly) decent tee shots the rest of the way. I view this as 45% swing advice, and 55% slow-play prevention.

This is one of my favorite things to watch. It happens frequently, but I rarely say anything as I know people a *****ly on the topic. One round, however, I played with two guys and we had a pretty good rapport by the end of the round. The one guy was relatively new to golf. He started ok, but started to slice the ball more and more throughout the round. As he sliced it more, he opened his stance further and further and aimed more and more to left. I sat quietly knowing this change was making it far worse. Finally, on the 18th tee, he had enough, and he and his friend were trying to figure out what was wrong. I elected to jump in given we only had one hole left and the issue was obvious. I told him to aim what felt like right and try to swing that way. Hit a draw right down the middle first try; longer than normal too. He was dumbfounded. Hopefully he took that comment to heart. 

• 4 months later...

This is a personal thing for me and I honestly don’t care what people I don’t know do to themselves but I really can’t stand getting paired with the inconsiderate smoker. The smoke really negatively affects my sinuses 

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

• 4 months later...

I have a group of players that I play with on a regular basis

Anywhere from 4-20 of them can show up for a round on Thursday, Saturday, Or Sunday

They range from a 1 to a 23 hcp

So it is tuff to find the right people to play with in your group

Everyone is a real nice person outside of the course

But there are certain people who are a P.I.A. to play with 

1st off they are about 4 guys who always have to play together

They are off on the 1st tee before we can get an idea who we are partnering up with

For some reason we have to play with 5 when a certain number of people show up

I have no idea why but one week a person dropped out due to injury, at the turn we picked up 2 players so we had 5 for the back 9.

Then you have the loud talkers, who's volume is always at 11.

And the opposite player who demands pure silence while hitting

I cannot tell you how many of them stand behind the hole while you are putting

Everyone is in a rush and cannot wait or stand still

We have a guy who is the last one to show up and the 1st one gone when we are done

We Venmo him any money he won.  I have no idea why he can't wait for the rest of us to finish. (Then again maybe this post is the reason why, maybe he is in another thread bitching about me)

Just last week, one of the guys was just constantly saying 'I'm hitting" and would hit whether he was out or not, of course we were in a 5 some

Then you have the drunks.  Our club lost its liquor license so you can bring outside drinks

One guy brought a 5th of Jack one week and a 5th of Vodka the next

They also had a Candy Cane full of the Airplane bottles of Fireball during X-Mas

One guy was so drunk he took off his shirt and just played in a wind vest for the back 9.

Another time one was so drunk he quit the group on a Saturday and showed up on Sunday and forgot he quit.

Very few of them will give you lessons on the course but 1 or 2 of them have to tell you all about their shot they just hit, good or bad.  And you have to tell them good shot if it is good.

Then when they miss a shot there is always and excuse.

Someone made a sound, someone wasn't standing still, something got in my line of vision, the list goes on and on.

Once, one of them yanked an 8 iron into the woods on a par 3 and was bitching about some truck that drove down the street real fast and messed up his swing.

We play in a residential neighborhood with a few streets, but there was no truck going down the street that the rest of us saw or heard.

We have very few club throwers.

We play for $25 so it's not a lot of money, but some of them think it is the green jacket.

Only one of them cheats on a constant basis and we know and he knows so he stopped showing up.

I really like the guys we play with but some days it's a struggle

The best thing that has happened to me was having a kid.  I can block out almost anything on the course now.

Almost...

PS

This was very therapeutic to write it all down

Thanks for listening

Edited by scott406
  • Haha 2

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

6 hours ago, scott406 said:

I have a group of players that I play with on a regular basis

Anywhere from 4-20 of them can show up for a round on Thursday, Saturday, Or Sunday

They range from a 1 to a 23 hcp

So it is tuff to find the right people to play with in your group

Everyone is a real nice person outside of the course

But there are certain people who are a P.I.A. to play with 

1st off they are about 4 guys who always have to play together

They are off on the 1st tee before we can get an idea who we are partnering up with

For some reason we have to play with 5 when a certain number of people show up

I have no idea why but one week a person dropped out due to injury, at the turn we picked up 2 players so we had 5 for the back 9.

Then you have the loud talkers, who volume is always at 11.

And the opposite player who demands pure silence while hitting

I cannot tell you how many of them stand behind the hole while you are putting

Everyone is in a rush and cannot wait or stand still

We have a guy who is the last one to show up and the 1st one gone when we are done

We Venmo him any money he won.  I have no idea why he can't wait for the rest of us to finish. (Then again maybe this post is the reason why, maybe he is in another thread bitching about me)

Just last week, one of the guys was just constantly saying 'I'm hitting" and would hit whether he was out or not, of course we were in a 5 some

The you have the drunks.  Our club lost its liquor license so you can bring outside drinks

One guy brought a 5th of Jack one week and a 5th of Vodka the next

They also had a Candy Cane full of the Airplane bottles of Fireball during X-Mas

One guy was so drunk he took off his shirt and just played in a wind vest for the back 9.

Another time one was so drunk he quit the group on a Saturday and showed up on Sunday and forgot he quit.

Very few of them will give you lessons on the course but 1 or 2 of them have to tell you all about their shot they just hit, good or bad.  And you have to tell them good shot if it is good.

Then when they miss a shot there is always and excuse.

Someone made a sound, someone wasn't standing still, something got in my line of vision, the list goes on and on.

Once, one of them yanked an 8 iron into the woods on a par 3 and was bitching about some truck that drove down the street real fast and messed up his swing.

We play in a residential neighborhood with a few streets, but there was no truck going down the street that the rest of us saw or heard.

We have very few club throwers.

We play for $25 so it's not a lot of money, but some of them think it is the green jacket.

Only one of them cheats on a constant basis and we know and he knows so he stopped showing up.

I really like the guys we play with but some days it's a struggle

The best thing that has happened to me was having a kid.  I can block out almost anything on the course now.

Almost...

PS

This was very therapeutic to write it all down

Thanks for listening

Man, find some new friends.  This sounds terrible, both the people and the club.

11 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Man, find some new friends.  This sounds terrible, both the people and the club.

Its comical at this point

After a year playing with them, you know what to expect

And like I said they are really nice people

I think they just don't realize half the stuff they are doing on the course

When you tell them to move they are surprised they were in the way

Then you spend half your round telling them to move and you look like the a hole

The club is the real problem

They have some true A holes there.

Don't even get me started on the golf pro

I could fill an entire thread on him

A quick example:

We had our club championship 2 weeks ago

The club pro sent off 2 groups ahead of the tournament so he could get some green fees

The 2 groups held up the entire tournament

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

30 minutes ago, scott406 said:

Its comical at this point

After a year playing with them, you know what to expect

And like I said they are really nice people

I think they just don't realize half the stuff they are doing on the course

When you tell them to move they are surprised they were in the way

Then you spend half your round telling them to move and you look like the a hole

The club is the real problem

They have some true A holes there.

Don't even get me started on the golf pro

I could fill an entire thread on him

A quick example:

We had our club championship 2 weeks ago

The club pro sent off 2 groups ahead of the tournament so he could get some green fees

The 2 groups held up the entire tournament

It legit sounds like you belong to Three Jack National.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...