2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Glove Questions (does price matter)

I started playing 1.5 yrs ago and was opposed to a glove. I've improved and I'm swing much faster than last summer which mean no glove isn't cutting it anymore. I generally go overboard with quality so I'm wondering if anyone has found a significant difference in the $30 gloves over the $10 gloves. 

Typically the higher priced ones will be made from a higher grade / thinner leather, while the lower priced ones will use synthetic materials that can be heavier and wear longer.  Find one that fits you properly and makes the grip comfortable regardless of price.  If you are budget conscious some of the lower priced versions can work well.  

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 5-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

There's almost guaranteed to be a glove less than $15 that you're comfortable in and works well for you. Will be some trial and error until you find it. 

The real work is in seeing if there is a  $30 glove that lasts 5x as long as a $12 glove - and then assessing your decision there.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cjlayer30 said:

The real work is in seeing if there is a  $30 glove that lasts 5x as long as a $12 glove - and then assessing your decision there.

My math says it only needs to be 2.5x as long, but 5x would be outstanding. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I like the Mizuno Elite. It's about $15 and it lasts a long time. It's Cabretta leather in the palm, thumb, and forefinger but synthetic leather for the rest of the glove.

Which, of course, is why it's cheaper than Titleist and Footjoy all leather gloves. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

I think you can get good gloves for $8-10. Plus I usually buy multiples at a time since my hands sweat a lot, and will use 2-3 gloves a round in the summer.  So I would rather get 3 for $30 than just 1.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

36 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

My math says it only needs to be 2.5x as long, but 5x would be outstanding. 

Not exactly. Some people don't like having higher value items even if they last as long in case they get lost or damaged. So even if it lasts 3x as long, but you lose one every month, then it isn't wroth it.

I tend to go for a mid range leather glove, the ones with the mesh over the knuckles. They keep their shape better and last a bit longer. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

You'll find some higher priced gloves feel really nice but that doesn't mean they are better. There are a few higher priced gloves like the TaylorMade TP Flex, this is my favorite glove but I don't buy it unless it's on sale cause I've gone through some quick and others a solid amount of time. I just got the Kirkland glove and feel solid, will probably play the bulk with some cheaper gloves. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I can usually find the Titleist Players or Footjoy equivalent for around $20-$21 per glove which I am fine with.  I like that the Leather isn't as heavy as some of the lessor priced options.  Sort of feels like wearing a leather driver glove versus a big snow mitten, but that's an extreme example and just in my own head, I'm sure I could just as easily get used to something else in the long run. 

That being said, I am a lefty and we don't always have the widest range of glove options to choose from so there could be something out there closer to that $10-$15 range that just isnt' available to me.  

Difference between $10 and $30 glove is amount and calibre of leather, quality of sewing, and level of fit.  I use either FootJoy StaSof or Titleist Perma Soft

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

My favorite is Maxfli Elite 2 for $30 at Dicks Sporting Goods or Golf Galaxy. Feels perfect and great quality. 

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 2 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

MG golf elite gloves.  Great quality and under $10 a piece.  I've been using them for years and no issues with them.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

If the Costco or MG gloves happen to fit your hands, then gloves do not have to be expensive. Otherwise they can get very pricey to play a nice, thin leather glove. 

Some people get along OK with the synthetic gloves and they are cheaper plus they last longer. Also washable. 

Avoid the total garbage. Otherwise you don't need all the advertised high line features unless you need it, like no slip for sweaty palms or rain.

It only matters that it be new enough - tacky - and fit you right.

Be careful whether or not you have "cadet" fingers.

A good fitting fresh glove will make a huge difference in play.

I keep hearing about MG gloves. Bloves. The only video I've seen of them was some guy where the glove busted where the glove busted on the 1st or 2nd swing. For the price and number of recommendations I guess it's worth a shot. The specific one I almost bought today was a $30 glove it's $30 glove that was foot joy it looked to be all leather with a few holes in it no mesh.

I dug out a glove that has been unused that I bought when I started. It's Callaway and it may have been a target or Walmart purchase. 

Edited by wkndhckr

9 hours ago, wkndhckr said:

I keep hearing about MG gloves. Bloves. The only video I've seen of them was some guy where the glove busted where the glove busted on the 1st or 2nd swing. For the price and number of recommendations I guess it's worth a shot. The specific one I almost bought today was a $30 glove it's $30 glove that was foot joy it looked to be all leather with a few holes in it no mesh.

I dug out a glove that has been unused that I bought when I started. It's Callaway and it may have been a target or Walmart purchase. 

I don't know what the deal is with MG.

I'd heard for years how great they were. So several years ago I broke down and ordered two each of the regular and Elite models. Of the four gloves, no two of them fit quite the same and the only one that fit perfectly was one of the two Elites. 

One of the non-Elite gloves I literally couldn't use it was too small. The other non-Elite fit OK but after I wore it twice a seam tore. One of the Elite gloves was a little loose but I wore it anyway. On about the fifth swing the palm tore out of it. The other Eilte glove fit OK except the thumb was really short and uncomfortable. I wore it anyway and it quickly stretched out of shape then eventually tore in the palm.

Now fast forward maybe four years, I decided to try the Elite gloves again. Ordered two. They were both about as comfortable and durable as any glove I've ever used. They run a bit on the large side compared to other brands (Medium in the MG Elite fits me perfectly, Medium in most brands are a little too snug for comfort) but the quality seems outstanding. I alternated those two gloves for about 15 rounds and one was starting to show some wear in the palm while the other was still in great shape.

So I ordered six more of them and have been using the original two plus two of the second batch. Still holding up well and are not stretching out of shape too badly even under the stress of being completely soaked with sweat every time I wear them in July. Just an excellent, durable glove.

So there you go. Six months ago I'd have told you to stay away from MG gloves. Now I'm tempted to say everyone ought to try them. In future, if I do get a bad glove or a bad batch of them I'll just return them for a refund, wait a while and try again.

Of the ones I've used this last six months only one glove seemed to have a problem. About a 2" long piece of thread unraveled from the stitching on the index finger. I figured, "Here we go again". But I've worn it several rounds now and nothing has fallen apart. Just that one little piece of thread still sticking out. Whatever.

• Like 1

I have been using mg gloves for about my last 15 or so gloves. The elite is better than the regular. The regular is fine its just a bit thick, and with the elite being less than 8 bucks a glove it seems like a no brainer to just get the nicer one. I have had no issues with the fit and durability seems on par with any of the 20+ dollar gloves (footjoy, titleist). I now just order 5 or six of them whenever I open up my last glove. If you don't care about having a top brand name on your hand then this is the way to go. 

• Like 1

Every glove can have a bad run.  My last order of MG gloves I switched to a new one on hole 5 or 6.  Pulling it on I ripped it near the velcro on top of the hand.

This is the ONLY issue I have had in the last 3 or so years using them.  I love the fact I can get them personalized on the enclosure as well.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Was a long time Stasof glove wearer, but now that they are north of $30 here I've given up paying that.  Was able to find a pile of close outs from Sportchek of the Sciflex for under $15 and bought all they had in my size (M/L Cad).  Have an order in of the Red Rooster gloves as the sample they sent me felt exactly like the Stasof's, but the pricing is only a few dollars less, so won't be worth it in the long run.

I stay away from the synthetic gloves, just don't like the feel, and if the fit is fine, haven't noticed a huge difference in the lower priced leather gloves.  Haven't tried the Kirkland gloves, but also don't think that they will fit as they won't carry Cad sizing I'm guessing.

A Revolving Door

9 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Every glove can have a bad run.  My last order of MG gloves I switched to a new one on hole 5 or 6.  Pulling it on I ripped it near the velcro on top of the hand.

This is the ONLY issue I have had in the last 3 or so years using them.  I love the fact I can get them personalized on the enclosure as well.

So true. Years ago I had a Titlelist glove tear after a couple of rounds. They're made from natural leather and this can happen to any brand, so I don't really blame any brand in particular for this.

• Like 1

I'm sure the costco glove is great value but good lord is the branding way too ugly/loud for a glove.

Ping G425 LST  10.5* -  Ping Tour 65x
TaylorMade R15 3W - Speeder Evolution S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid 17* - Ping Tour 85x
Mizuno 921F 4-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 60
TaylorMade Spider - Counterweight 

I've been using the MG elite exclusively for last couple years and plan to continue using them.  Price wise it's nearly unbeatable - $7 a piece means I order them three at a time for the cost (or possibly less than the cost) of the more expensive options.  I get a near perfect fit from the cadet medium so size is spot on for me, and durability has been excellent for the most part.  As a couple others noted, sure....every now and then you get a bad one.  I had one earlier this year that ripped on the thumb much quicker than any others, but if out of the dozen or so MG gloves I've used in the last couple years, I have ONE that breaks down early?  I'll take it at that price.

Someone gave me a FJ StaSof glove this past spring as a gift so I did use that briefly earlier this year.  No exaggeration - it ripped on me roughly half as quick as my MG's were averaging.  That's not to say that the quality isn't as good as a whole, but goes to show that even with a $20+ glove, you can run into a bad one at any time. 

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8*, Tour AD-VR 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist TSi2 18*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
Callaway ‘24 Apex Pro 5-AW, MMT 95s
Callaway MD5 Jaws 50s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway MD5 Jaws 54s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58c, KBS TourV 110
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)