Bryson says Cobra Drivers suck, Cobra compares Bryson to Temper Tantrum throwing 8 year old

nosedive32

6 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Continue the fanciful thinking all you want, but DeChambeau did not finish his degree. And that's fine. Certainly didn't hurt Nicklaus, Woods, Bill Gates, et al.

Here's some enjoyable reading:

https://outsidethecut.com/2019/06/10/the-haters-guide-to-bryson-dechambeau/

Seriously? You crack me up ..you article leads to a link from 2015..yet you tell everyone on this site that Washington post reporters are all lazy and got it wrong on Bryson. I'll stick to the factual thinking....dude

6 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Continue the fanciful thinking all you want, but DeChambeau did not finish his degree. And that's fine. Certainly didn't hurt Nicklaus, Woods, Bill Gates, et al.

Good stuff Soloman1. I used to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but no longer. Everything vectors toward him being a fake scientist besides just being an annoying, spoiled, petulant child. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Good stuff Soloman1. I used to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but no longer. Everything vectors toward him being a fake scientist besides just being an annoying, spoiled, petulant child. 

Well to be fair , I think you can easily be a scientist without a degree.  I mean we have some astronauts going up today with zero knowledge and training.  All it takes is $.

But I agree completely that he’s a brat with a schtick ..and he’s wearing out his welcome . You have to win way more often to be that annoying and get away with it.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, imakaveli said:

If I were Cobra I would have ditched him the day after.

I understand his contract with Cobra is set to expire in about 5 months.  If Cobra was planning to drop him after his comments I think they would wait till after the Open so as not to be a distraction while the tournament is ongoing.  So if they plan to release him early I'd expect to hear something this week.  If they don't I wonder if they'll make an attempt to re-sign him when his current deal expires.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Well to be fair , I think you can easily be a scientist without a degree.  I mean we have some astronauts going up today with zero knowledge and training.  All it takes is $.

But I agree completely that he’s a brat with a schtick ..and he’s wearing out his welcome . You have to win way more often to be that annoying and get away with it.  

Agreed Blade.  To be clear, I don't believe a person needs a degree to be a scientist, brilliant designer or creator of great things etc.   I know some geniuses in their fields that are largely self-taught and do some amazing things.  But yeah some of Bryson's nonsensical jargon is a hilarious smokescreen, and yes his schtick is wearing out fast.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Lieutenant Spears!

Killer Spears ..... funny thing about him is , Bill Guarnere and PEEWEE gave accounts on camera as late as 2017 or so that said the stories about spears were true. All true . The guy he shot for being drunk was a Sargent ( If memory serves ) that was waiving his Thompson at him.  He warned him 4 times to put it down.  Then he gave him a 10 round burst to the chest.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Someone mentioned it earlier and it’s how I remember it. It seems it was pretty standard reporting that he had left school early without finishing his degree. It really does seem that is just recently (or fairly recently) when it’s started being reported that he did finish. 

It does seem odd. 

7 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Thats excellent!

“Bryson never graduated from SMU, instead leaving after his junior season when the golf team was facing sanctions including a postseason ban.

While Bryson has made it clear he intends to finish his degree, he hasn’t yet. Meanwhile, Roberto Castro holds an Industrial Engineering degree from Georgia Tech, the top IE school in the country. Joe Ogilvie graduated from Duke and owns an investment advisory firm. Obviously, neither of these players have been as successful as Bryson, but they also haven’t been trumpeting their intelligence all over the place…“

• Like 2

Bryson is a precocious whiney baby....and Koepka is not far behind but Koepka is half as smart.....dislike both of them.....but the couch potatoes who criticize others for being educated and doing things for the sport is really funny to see. Its "par for the course" as they say.  The ones chirping the loudest are typically the ones in society who usually do the least.  

That being said, Dechambeau's hissy fit this weekend was idiotic at best....i wonder how Taylormade would have handled this? Its Cobra, so they probably have to put up with it because nobody buys their drivers anyway...it will be interesting to see how this pans out.....but then he goes out and shoots 65 on Sunday....

I think we can all agree that when we all have a bad round, at one time or another, we may have blamed the clubs for our bad swings......

Didnt Rory throw a club on Sunday as well??? 

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, the bishop said:

I understand his contract with Cobra is set to expire in about 5 months.  If Cobra was planning to drop him after his comments I think they would wait till after the Open so as not to be a distraction while the tournament is ongoing.  So if they plan to release him early I'd expect to hear something this week.  If they don't I wonder if they'll make an attempt to re-sign him when his current deal expires.

I wonder if his lashing out about Cobra drivers has to do with how negotiations for an extension are going. I’m sure he wants top tier money, but does he actually push sales where he uses single length irons? I doubt anyone is going to back up the Brinks truck as well as launch a whole new line of irons. I believe his play on the course should give him one of the richer club contracts, but the single length irons and armlock putter don’t seem to be going into the bags of the masses. I can see him getting separate driver and putter(think Bettinardi) contracts and having to stick with the Cobra irons or go back to his Edel irons and wedges. Either way he wouldn’t get the product support he wants for the wedges and irons. Also, he’s a head case who has never been wrong in his life. It’s always the people around him or other outside influences such as the weather. 

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Killer Spears ..... funny thing about him is , Bill Guarnere and PEEWEE gave accounts on camera as late as 2017 or so that said the stories about spears were true. All true . The guy he shot for being drunk was a Sargent ( If memory serves ) that was waiving his Thompson at him.  He warned him 4 times to put it down.  Then he gave him a 10 round burst to the chest.  

Apparently the stories about "Sparky" Spears are true:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Apparently the stories about "Sparky" Spears are true:

Thanks for that.  I had seen all the other guys recount what they saw , but somehow missed winters.  Didn’t know he called him sparky either.  The enlisted men called him “ killer “. Lol. Or maybe it was just wild bill who did.  At any rate he was known far and wide by the time they got to Berlin.  No kidding I heard stories about him and the 101st/and 82nd well before the movies or TV show.  My grandfather was in the 8th air force and was an engineer that was attached to an outfit moving a mobile airstrip.  They followed the front guys moving this air strip so small fighter wings could land snd be fueled to reach deeper into Germany France etc. those guys were aware of who was clearing the path.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, Soloman1 said:

I really like the part on DeChambeau's website comparing himself to Albert Einstein and George Washington.

Warning: I recommend you not drink anything while reading the following to prevent spewing it on your phone, iPad or monitor:

"Since joining the PGA Tour, the physics major has earned the nickname “The Scientist” from his fellow pros, due to his exciting and unconventional approach to his game. Much like Einstein and Washington – innovators celebrated for how they stood out and capitalized on their creativity – DeChambeau uses wedges and irons of equal length (37.5 inches, the average length of his favorite 7-iron), precise force, and pinpoint distance measurements in his play."

Wow.  Oddly enough his theme music was written years before his birth.  I mean this guy is too much. 

• Haha 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:06 AM, TiScape said:

Golf isn’t cheap, but once you get a set of clubs (could be used) it can be played fairly inexpensively. Who knows. I’d wager 95% is high. I can recall reading posts here with people saying they were mechanics, truck drivers, lineman, groundskeepers… etc. But yeah, a majority are probably middle aged + and don’t get dirty at work. 

Lineman where I live routinely pull in 200-250k with overtime. Far more than my bachelor degreed-middle management- finance @ss brings in. 

Bogey free 65 on Sunday.  Granted he wasn't playing for much at that point.

I don't think Cobra is a good fit for him.  I am also not sure which OEM would be either.  I feel like he could do better with a bigger company with more tour support, but also that he may be getting more attention because Cobra doesn't have a ton of Tour players.  Also not sure how much of his crap a TM or Callaway would put up with.  I don't see him going to Titleist.  Not sure how Ping goes about their business.

Maybe he needs to go without a contract for a while.  Just go play what works for him and just hire a club builder.  Get something working and get back on track and be marketable again.

It is funny that the issue is more than his original thesis from when he started this transformation isn't holding to be true for him like he had thought and he just won't own up to it. 

He said last year when he started this whole thing that he figured if he could hit it far enough then it didn't really matter if he was in the fairway or the rough as long as he had a wedge in his hand. Obviously it worked at Bay Hill and the US Open but it's no secret that he was putting lights out at the us open last year and it wasn't just pounding it miles. 

It turns out that there's more to it than that and if he admits that he was a little off in his experiment than it makes him look bad and I guess he thinks by blaming everything else instead, he somehow avoids the egg on his face. 

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

I really like the part on DeChambeau's website comparing himself to Albert Einstein and George Washington.

Warning: I recommend you not drink anything while reading the following to prevent spewing it on your phone, iPad or monitor:

"Since joining the PGA Tour, the physics major has earned the nickname “The Scientist” from his fellow pros, due to his exciting and unconventional approach to his game. Much like Einstein and Washington – innovators celebrated for how they stood out and capitalized on their creativity – DeChambeau uses wedges and irons of equal length (37.5 inches, the average length of his favorite 7-iron), precise force, and pinpoint distance measurements in his play."

This is one of the nicknames that’s given in a sarcastic manner if that makes sense. As in guys do have nicknames for each other, this one is definitely more tongue in cheek. 

As an aside wanna know who else sucks that everyone seemingly loves? Bubba Watson. I’m not sure who guys in locker rooms don’t care for more. 

All of this being said, and true, he’s still a great player capable of playing some great golf!

Edited by BNGL

3 hours ago, bogeyk said:

I wonder if his lashing out about Cobra drivers has to do with how negotiations for an extension are going. I’m sure he wants top tier money, but does he actually push sales where he uses single length irons? I doubt anyone is going to back up the Brinks truck as well as launch a whole new line of irons. I believe his play on the course should give him one of the richer club contracts, but the single length irons and armlock putter don’t seem to be going into the bags of the masses. I can see him getting separate driver and putter(think Bettinardi) contracts and having to stick with the Cobra irons or go back to his Edel irons and wedges. Either way he wouldn’t get the product support he wants for the wedges and irons. Also, he’s a head case who has never been wrong in his life. It’s always the people around him or other outside influences such as the weather. 

He's already got a separate putter contract, unless SIK Golf is owned by Cobra which I don't think they are but I could be mistaken. 

I've had the same questions you mentioned. Does Cobra even have the bankroll to keep dumping millions in R&D for this guy? Is it even worth it for ANY golfer outside of the Tiger era? Let's face it, he's not exactly a dominant force in the game other than his pre-tournament and post round press conferences (we all know how that's gone). And let's say he rattles off 10 wins next year: what market advantage do they gain considering he's playing a driver with 5* of loft and an obvious custom face that "sucks". They can't throw a "Bryson Edition" driver on a retail rack with a stock shaft and expect average joe to drop $1200 on it. 

We all interact with a lot of different golfers, and I haven't personally come across ANYONE who plays SL irons even though they are out there. I can't fathom how COBRA has gotten an ROI on all this. 

On the flip side, I highly doubt Edel Golf can handle the R&D needed to catch up with the engineering he's done with Cobra if he were to switch. Once again, could be wrong because not sure how their bankroll is. I've personally gotten fitted by David Edel (back in 2006) and while he is a nice guy, I could see how he would clash with Bryson personality wise. 

Will Cobra dump him? Time will tell. I would think "No" even based off the latest comments. The only other "star" they have on payroll would be Rickie, but he's in the tank and also spends a ton of time catering to his other sponsors. Too much invested just to throw it away at the moment. However, if they even give Bryson an inkling that they are going a different direction, I bet top dollar he severs the relationship before they do to save face. 

Be careful there.  I got admonished for an opinion that Cobra didn't make equipment as good as other OEM's.

If the measure of a company is the Tour stable then Cobra is floundering.  Again, my opinion is since they went "orange" they have been all sizzle and no steak.

Around 2002ish-2010ish they made good stuff.

8 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Be careful there.  I got admonished for an opinion that Cobra didn't make equipment as good as other OEM's.

If the measure of a company is the Tour stable then Cobra is floundering.  Again, my opinion is since they went "orange" they have been all sizzle and no steak.

Agreed - gamed their Pro CB/MB in 2009ish and haven't really liked anything since. 

Does a big brand like Cobra (or any big brand) really need to fork over millions to sponsor this putz?  We've all heard of these brands by other means of promotion.  I couldn't tell you what brand any pro plays and I really don't care.  I've never bought a club because some pro uses it.... Have you?  Heck our games are nothing like a pros, so why think what they play is good for us?  Are people really that dumb?  Okay yeah some people are that dumb but not most of us.

Cobra should dump this guy ASAP and come up with some catchy marketing campaign that destroys Bryson's brand image while increasing their own brand awareness with their target market... regular golfers like us!  Put some light on what a tool this guy is and the things he's said and done.  There's enough material in this link alone to come up with some funny slogans https://outsidethecut.com/2019/06/10/the-haters-guide-to-bryson-dechambeau/

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

We all interact with a lot of different golfers, and I haven't personally come across ANYONE who plays SL irons even though they are out there. I can't fathom how COBRA has gotten an ROI on all this. 

LOL I have never come across a golfer who has heard of GolfWRX and I have mentioned this place to quite a few.  I have come across one person with SL clubs in the past and I have heard of a guy at the course where I play who has some and is a big DeChambeau fan. 

It would be interesting to know what the numbers are.  I have occasionally looked at one length clubs on ebay and it seems like they are selling okay and at fairly reasonable numbers price wise.  There must be folks buying them and as you mentioned they are out there, simply not a very high percentage.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, smashdn said:

fwiw I agree with you

1 minute ago, Nels55 said:

LOL I have never come across a golfer who has heard of GolfWRX and I have mentioned this place to quite a few.  I have come across one person with SL clubs in the past and I have heard of a guy at the course where I play who has some and is a big DeChambeau fan. 

It would be interesting to know what the numbers are.  I have occasionally looked at one length clubs on ebay and it seems like they are selling okay and at fairly reasonable numbers price wise.  There must be folks buying them and as you mentioned they are out there, simply not a very high percentage.

Spot on. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that a year or two back I played two rounds with Cobra SL irons. I think they were the Forged Tour or something? It was inspired by Katrek and Maginnes on Tap radio show, but looking back they probably got a paycheck to recommend it to their listeners.

To me personally: the only differences I saw were negative. The long irons were low missiles (off the ground) and the short irons (9i / PW) went about 900 feet in the air and fell 10-15 yards short of my stock yardage with a conventional length iron. I've read a lot of feedback where guys had the same experience. The only standout shot I hit was a 5iron from 187 on a par 3 that was beautiful. 

With the vastly different playing abilities, swings, and approaches to the game by the average "every day" golfer (whether it be a scratch or a 20 handicap), the SL irons would have to be EXTREMELY customized to each person down to head weight, COG, offset...not just the typical L/L/L you can adjust with a conventional set. 

Want a good SL iron set? Write a check for $17,500 (just for a 7 piece set). I read a while back that Bryson's irons still cost $2,500 a piece to manufacture. 

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Thats excellent!

“Bryson never graduated from SMU, instead leaving after his junior season when the golf team was facing sanctions including a postseason ban.

While Bryson has made it clear he intends to finish his degree, he hasn’t yet. Meanwhile, Roberto Castro holds an Industrial Engineering degree from Georgia Tech, the top IE school in the country. Joe Ogilvie graduated from Duke and owns an investment advisory firm. Obviously, neither of these players have been as successful as Bryson, but they also haven’t been trumpeting their intelligence all over the place…“

Industrial engineering is not a real engineering degree

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash