Bryson says Cobra Drivers suck, Cobra compares Bryson to Temper Tantrum throwing 8 year old

nosedive32

3 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

Spot on. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that a year or two back I played two rounds with Cobra SL irons. I think they were the Forged Tour or something? It was inspired by Katrek and Maginnes on Tap radio show, but looking back they probably got a paycheck to recommend it to their listeners.

To me personally: the only differences I saw were negative. The long irons were low missiles (off the ground) and the short irons (9i / PW) went about 900 feet in the air and fell 10-15 yards short of my stock yardage with a conventional length iron. I've read a lot of feedback where guys had the same experience. The only standout shot I hit was a 5iron from 187 on a par 3 that was beautiful. 

With the vastly different playing abilities, swings, and approaches to the game by the average "every day" golfer (whether it be a scratch or a 20 handicap), the SL irons would have to be EXTREMELY customized to each person down to head weight, COG, offset...not just the typical L/L/L you can adjust with a conventional set. 

Want a good SL iron set? Write a check for $17,500 (just for a 7 piece set). I read a while back that Bryson's irons still cost $2,500 a piece to manufacture. 

I have built a number of sets of one length clubs, the first set back in the 80's inspired by Tommy Armour EQL.  LOL mine were probably better then those things!  Anyway I had pretty much the same experience that you had every time which is more proof that I can be a slow learner.  The last couple of sets that I built were not too bad and worked fairly well and I liked the idea that I only needed to practice one swing.  One problem that I found is that I still needed hybrids, fairways and a driver which don't work very well at 37.5 inches so multiple swings are required anyway.  There is a thread here on SL clubs and quite few wrx'rs seem to like them a great deal if I remember correctly...

$2500 each is a little steep for me.  Especially considering that such clubs would not fix my main problem which is too much LOFT...

Tommy Armour produced a SL iron set (6-iron length at the time, 7-iron length for today) in 1986 called EQL's that used a head similar to the 845 head form with constant head weight. They were more of a nod to Mo Norman who choked down on irons so that they played effectively at the same length.

It's not like Bryson had an Einstein-like flash (who he compares himself to) of creativity to come up with the idea. Mo Norman had big, fat grips too and a single plane swing. Hmmm . . .

I did read on some blog that Bryson actually has three undergraduate degrees -- physics, nuclear engineering and chemistry. He also has two masters, a JD degree, two PhD's, flew #4 with the Blue Angels at the same time he was finishing his residency in neurosurgery. He's currently completing astronaut training with NASA.

Oh, and I don't think Cobra club manufacturing is all that important in the grand scheme of Puma. Cobra is just a vector to sell apparel, which is where the real money is.

Golf shops make their money on apparel and little or nothing on clubs.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Haha 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

29 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Tommy Armour produced a SL iron set (6-iron length at the time, 7-iron length for today) in 1986 called EQL's that used a head similar to the 845 head form with constant head weight. They were more of a nod to Mo Norman who choked down on irons so that they played effectively at the same length.

It's not like Bryson had an Einstein-like flash (who he compares himself to) of creativity to come up with the idea. Mo Norman had big, fat grips too and a single plane swing. Hmmm . . .

I did read on some blog that Bryson actually has three undergraduate degrees -- physics, nuclear engineering and chemistry. He also has two masters, a JD degree, two PhD's, flew #4 with the Blue Angels at the same time he was finishing his residency in neurosurgery. He's currently completing astronaut training with NASA.

Oh, and I don't think Cobra club manufacturing is all that important in the grand scheme of Puma. Cobra is just a vector to sell apparel, which is where the real money is.

Golf shops make their money on apparel and little or nothing on clubs.

Puma seems to fit to the young, fit, active crew. 

My michelob ultra beer belly doesn't bode well with a tight fitting puma shirt. 

• Like 1

The one I really don't understand is the comparison to Washington? Throwing him and Einstein together doesn't make much sense. He wasn't really that innovative. Great leader yes, innovative, not so much. Even his battle strategy was adopted from the ancient Roman Fabian strategy. Jefferson was an inventor and very innovative, that might make much more sense here. But Washington? He owned slaves and was reluctant to consider independence from the King. He only served as general after Adams basically begged him and capitalized on his sense of duty. He was a reluctant leader, and a GREAT man...but hardly innovative. His greatest innovation was ceding power after 8 years, which at that time was novel.

It's a bit puzzling to me.

M

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

58 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I have heard on XM that Bryson is very difficult to work with. If/when Cobra drops him, what company would be crazy enough to pick him up?

Listen to his post round interview, and one can easily walk away with that assertion.  Add his committal to the whole mad scientist bit, and its got to be miserable to deal with him and his equipment.  

Given all that, he still moves the needle Id imagine and is worthwhile to have on staff.    

Edited by bubbagump

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

1 hour ago, caeye0710 said:

Puma seems to fit to the young, fit, active crew. 

My michelob ultra beer belly doesn't bode well with a tight fitting puma shirt. 

At the Masters in 2018 you would have fit right in, especially if it was orange

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I have heard on XM that Bryson is very difficult to work with. If/when Cobra drops him, what company would be crazy enough to pick him up?

There is a youtube vid where they are interviewing BDC's club guy.  He was showing all of the franken-clubs he had created for him over the years that he has been with Cobra and tinkering.

Cobra is getting something out of this too.  They have to figure out whether or not it is worth it though.

If you look at it objectively, which we here, for the most part, tend to do, there is nothing really that BDC is doing that appeals to or aligns with our games.  But I get the impression that there are plenty of irrational people out there that just connect BDC and Cobra and go buy clubs.  Same with DJ and Phil and Rory, etc. and their respective sponsors.  It must work at some level and to some extent or the OEM's wouldn't all be doing it and paying what they do. 

1 hour ago, physasst said:

The one I really don't understand is the comparison to Washington? Throwing him and Einstein together doesn't make much sense. He wasn't really that innovative. Great leader yes, innovative, not so much. Even his battle strategy was adopted from the ancient Roman Fabian strategy. Jefferson was an inventor and very innovative, that might make much more sense here. But Washington? He owned slaves and was reluctant to consider independence from the King. He only served as general after Adams basically begged him and capitalized on his sense of duty. He was a reluctant leader, and a GREAT man...but hardly innovative. His greatest innovation was ceding power after 8 years, which at that time was novel.

M

at least we are sure he didn't do his undergrad in history 😄

• Haha 3

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

44 minutes ago, smashdn said:

There is a youtube vid where they are interviewing BDC's club guy.  He was showing all of the franken-clubs he had created for him over the years that he has been with Cobra and tinkering.

Cobra is getting something out of this too.  They have to figure out whether or not it is worth it though.

If you look at it objectively, which we here, for the most part, tend to do, there is nothing really that BDC is doing that appeals to or aligns with our games.  But I get the impression that there are plenty of irrational people out there that just connect BDC and Cobra and go buy clubs.  Same with DJ and Phil and Rory, etc. and their respective sponsors.  It must work at some level and to some extent or the OEM's wouldn't all be doing it and paying what they do. 

there’s way more irrational club buying on Golfwrx than in the real world

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

30 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

there’s way more irrational club buying on Golfwrx than in the real world

Right?!? Every day on the BST it’s like ‘just bought X and it hasn’t arrived yet but now I need to sell Y because I just bought Z to see if it can kick X out of the bag.’

Meanwhile, in the real world, the same 905R has been sitting in the used club bin since 2009.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

2 hours ago, Marty86 said:

PXG and those commercials they have fit perfectly!

Agreed.  The company that brings us commercials with the narrator squealing like a pig could be a good fit.

• Like 2

The single length iron to me I get the principle/theory. But in practice I never thought it could work, effectively for the everyday player, what is always thought might be good was single length for the 3,4,5 iron, single length for the 6,7,8, and another single length for the 9,P and then whatever for the wedges. That to me sounded way more effective than single length sets. My problem with single length was that, to me, most players would never be able to hit the long irons high enough or be able to hit the short irons consistently enough. Just my 2cents though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, physasst said:

M

So what’s your opinion of Roosevelt, Ike, and Churchill?  Holy smokes you just criticized the guy who led an underdog of underdog armies to a decisive victory that was one of the most historic victories in the history of the world because he used a previously successful game (war) plan.  Your thoughts on Tom Brady’s 7 Super Bowl wins?

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

4 hours ago, physasst said:

M

Unconventional and innovative use of guerrilla warfare at Trenton, a major engagement, not some skirmish, altered the course of the Revolution and of history.

Washington devised the strategy, tactics, and led the action himself. 

Edited by bscinstnct

🤣

This comment, you can just picture the Cobra team having to deal with Bryson,

“JW: What is the testing process like with Bryson? I imagine its quite detailed…

BS: Honestly, it’s very detailed with every player we work with. He tends to ask more questions and challenge us more often with ideas, but overall paying close attention to details is what helps us make better products for our team—which in turn helps us make better products for our customers. “

https://www.golfwrx.com/615978/golfwrx-insider-inside-the-bag-of-bryson-dechambeau/

4 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

So what’s your opinion of Roosevelt, Ike, and Churchill?  Holy smokes you just criticized the guy who led an underdog of underdog armies to a decisive victory that was one of the most historic victories in the history of the world because he used a previously successful game (war) plan.  Your thoughts on Tom Brady’s 7 Super Bowl wins?

He listed him as a great innovator. I don’t think of Washington that way. Great leader yes, but they aren’t the same thing. 

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

I believe Cobra club sales would improve if the company produced solid looking  basic designs instead of the complicated looking stuff.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter