2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Portland golf courses

Mustu

Going to Portland in a week and a half for a few days.  Looking for a couple of course recommendations.  Someplace that's walkable, fairly good pace of play on weekdays and in good condition. My friend doesn't golf much so nothing really hard with forced carries and such.  I guess we're staying in Beaverton so something not too far from there would be nice too.

Edited by Mustu

When I was down there last I played at The Reserve (South) and really enjoyed myself. Next time I go I hope to play the North Course. it is a semi private club and they rotate which course is open to public play every 2 weeks. I think it was $89 green fee and I thought conditions were fantastic and a fun course.

I've played Langdon Farms and Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Greek before as well. Really liked Langdon. Pumpkin, I thought was way over priced and over hyped. That said, I am open to playing Pumpkin GC again but would really like to get onto Witch Hollow their private course.

I'm sure other PDX locals will chime in with other suggestions.

• Like 2

For close, it's hard to beat the Reserve.

Not much more driving gets you out to Quail Valley, which is a great open design and very walkable.  Other than Pumpkin (on which I agree with R4haehl's points above), the only other close public course is Redtail, and it's neither well-maintained, easy or quick-paced.  Langdon is easy to get to (hwy217 to I-5, 20-30 min from Beaverton) and is the best public course in the area, IMO.  So, in order of proximity:

Reserve

Quail Valley

Langdon

All will be in great condition (though Quail tends to get a bit burnt out in late summer, which is still very fun, in a British-amber kinda way).  Quail will be the cheapest.

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 2 weeks later...

Quail Valley is very walkable and nice course. I'm there a couple times per week to play a round or driving range (grass). The wind can pick up later in day. Oregon City there is Stone Creek which is one of my favorite public courses in the area. Depending on the time of day and where you are in Beaverton, it is about 30-40 minute drive. 

https://www.stonecreekgolfclub.net/

• Like 1

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I live in Beaverton and on a weekday you can get to just about any of our great public options inside of 30 mins - 

Pumpkin Ridge is by far the best public course in the area in my opinion. Both sides of the Reserve are good options (the South is the better side). I would also second Stone Creek and Quail.

Forest Hills is not up to that quality but is a pretty fun course with some interesting holes. The RedTail slander is most applicable on the weekends(seriously, don't bother on a Saturday), but I actually enjoy the course on weekdays. It is long and can be tough, but it was in great shape when I played last month. 

Across the city but still probably only 35 mins from Beaverton are the two courses at Heron Lakes. I enjoy both, but the Great Blue is an awesome course - linksy, with varied holes, and a tough test the last five holes coming in. 

• Like 1

Where'd you play? I've played all the Portland metro courses multiple times, and for me:

1a) Langdon Farms: just a gorgeous course and layout that's always in great shape. A lot of the holes are framed by hills/mounds full of golden fescue on one or both sides.

1b) The Reserve (South Course): classic American golf course that was even better before they took out dozens of bunkers due to member complaints (it's semi-private, alternating north/south bi-weekly). Has hosted senior PGA majors for a reason. IMO, it plays easier than its rating (74.6 from the tips) if you're long off the tee, so it's a good way to bring handicap down. 

3) Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek): this is a really nice, classic course that benefits from its association with the more famous private side (Witch Hollow, where Tiger won a US Am). Lots of old growth that makes the course feel like it belongs there and has always existed. 

As others mentioned, there are lots of other fun courses in the area, too:

RedTail: I'm biased because I grew up on this course, but I love it, even back when the greens were awful (they're much better now). Great layout; would be on all of the top-10 lists if it were private. Given its location, it gets a ton of play and rounds are slow as a result. This is a challenging course, very demanding off the tee. #7 might be the most difficult par-5 in the NW. 

Chehalem Glenn: Lovely and unique monster. Not a good course for beginners; I've seen someone lose > a dozen balls. I recommend a cart, especially if it's hot out, as it's a long and hilly. Fun course that'll test your game in all areas. 

Stone Creek: the front and back sides feel like two different courses. Plenty of variety. Nice golden fescue depending on the time of year. I have friends who'd put this in their top-3, it just never quite did it for me and I'm not sure why. Tournament-quality course, for sure. 

The Reserve (North Course): more of a links-style course that never seems to be in as pristine condition as the south side. High quality, nonetheless. 

Meriwether National: not as nice as it sounds, but really fun to play nonetheless. Again, the front/back are disjointed and feel like two separate courses. Great place to have too many beers and hit some bombs. Nice open feel without being a pasture. Greens are pure so you can go low if you get the putter going. 

Heron Lakes (Great Blue Course): best public course in north Portland. Feels big and open, but there's plenty of trouble if you're loose off the tee. Usually packed. 

Quail Valley: haven't played this in a long time but remember it being a nice, tournament-quality track. Holed out from 195 on 18 the last time I played it. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

16 hours ago, thejazzmarauder said:

Where'd you play? I've played all the Portland metro courses multiple times, and for me:

1a) Langdon Farms: just a gorgeous course and layout that's always in great shape. A lot of the holes are framed by hills/mounds full of golden fescue on one or both sides.

1b) The Reserve (South Course): classic American golf course that was even better before they took out dozens of bunkers due to member complaints (it's semi-private, alternating north/south bi-weekly). Has hosted senior PGA majors for a reason. IMO, it plays easier than its rating (74.6 from the tips) if you're long off the tee, so it's a good way to bring handicap down. 

3) Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek): this is a really nice, classic course that benefits from its association with the more famous private side (Witch Hollow, where Tiger won a US Am). Lots of old growth that makes the course feel like it belongs there and has always existed. 

As others mentioned, there are lots of other fun courses in the area, too:

RedTail: I'm biased because I grew up on this course, but I love it, even back when the greens were awful (they're much better now). Great layout; would be on all of the top-10 lists if it were private. Given its location, it gets a ton of play and rounds are slow as a result. This is a challenging course, very demanding off the tee. #7 might be the most difficult par-5 in the NW. 

Chehalem Glenn: Lovely and unique monster. Not a good course for beginners; I've seen someone lose > a dozen balls. I recommend a cart, especially if it's hot out, as it's a long and hilly. Fun course that'll test your game in all areas. 

Stone Creek: the front and back sides feel like two different courses. Plenty of variety. Nice golden fescue depending on the time of year. I have friends who'd put this in their top-3, it just never quite did it for me and I'm not sure why. Tournament-quality course, for sure. 

The Reserve (North Course): more of a links-style course that never seems to be in as pristine condition as the south side. High quality, nonetheless. 

Meriwether National: not as nice as it sounds, but really fun to play nonetheless. Again, the front/back are disjointed and feel like two separate courses. Great place to have too many beers and hit some bombs. Nice open feel without being a pasture. Greens are pure so you can go low if you get the putter going. 

Heron Lakes (Great Blue Course): best public course in north Portland. Feels big and open, but there's plenty of trouble if you're loose off the tee. Usually packed. 

Quail Valley: haven't played this in a long time but remember it being a nice, tournament-quality track. Holed out from 195 on 18 the last time I played it. 

Chehalem is the toughest course I think Ive ever played.  It's a real @#$%$!!!! 

Stone Cr is a turn off because of the marshalling, it packed, and the 2 or 3 holes that in my opinion can back things up.  They do have some great holes though.  

I played Chehalem a couple months ago for the first time. Thankfully I played with someone that was familiar with the course because you need to know where to miss. A couple of holes is target golf and forces you play to specific positions. A few forced carries from the tee box as well. It is definitely a challenging course and agreed it is not for someone just learning to play.

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2