Jump to content

SW Michigan: which is the better club/golf course…..Lost Dunes or Point O Woods?


stlouismark
 Share

Recommended Posts

Very different animals.   The Pointe is old school, narrow and lush.  Lost Dunes is wide, firm and very tough greens.

 

If I had to pick, I would rather play Lost Dunes. 

  • Like 2

9* G410 LST w/ AD-XC 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 w/ Modus Tour 120
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: -ProV1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

Very different animals.   The Pointe is old school, narrow and lush.  Lost Dunes is wide, firm and very tough greens.

 

If I had to pick, I would rather play Lost Dunes. 

 

Agreed they are very different animals, and their difficulty and interest comes from different places. The Point has history, Lost Dunes is visually pretty stunning. I think Point is a better, more fun, and harder course. Lost Dunes is almost certainly in better condition, and has some great holes.  

 

The membership between the two is also very different. You perhaps need to experience both to understand this, but it will be fairly apparent. Most people will gravitate towards one vs. the other. I don't think this is one where you will get good consensus on a forum.

  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 51.09 PX
Joe Kwok 57* DG 115 Tour Issue
Scotty Studio Select NP2 33"

ProV1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, eagle2838 said:

 

Agreed they are very different animals, and their difficulty and interest comes from different places. The Point has history, Lost Dunes is visually pretty stunning. I think Point is a better, more fun, and harder course. Lost Dunes is almost certainly in better condition, and has some great holes.  

 

The membership between the two is also very different. You perhaps need to experience both to understand this, but it will be fairly apparent. Most people will gravitate towards one vs. the other. I don't think this is one where you will get good consensus on a forum.


Whats the membership like at each? I’m assuming Lost Dunes is more blue blood Chicago money….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 10:11 AM, knickerbocker said:

Very different animals.   The Pointe is old school, narrow and lush.  Lost Dunes is wide, firm and very tough greens.

 

If I had to pick, I would rather play Lost Dunes. 

 

Agree with Knicker...both are great courses but I prefer Lost Dunes as well as I just feel the course and atmosphere is better.  Point is still a great place though

Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
WITB Link

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an apples to oranges comparison. The Pointe is a traditional golf and country club with a pool, social events and off season activities (Santa brunch, etc). Lost Dunes is strictly for golf. Also, as other commenters have said the courses couldn't be more different. The Pointe does have an immaculate practice facility (that doesn't get a ton of use but is still pristine) which is a nice golf focused added bonus. You need to decide what you want out of the large amount of money you are going to have to spend...once you decide that, the answer will be crystal clear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, ten8suited said:

This is an apples to oranges comparison. The Pointe is a traditional golf and country club with a pool, social events and off season activities (Santa brunch, etc). Lost Dunes is strictly for golf. Also, as other commenters have said the courses couldn't be more different. The Pointe does have an immaculate practice facility (that doesn't get a ton of use but is still pristine) which is a nice golf focused added bonus. You need to decide what you want out of the large amount of money you are going to have to spend...once you decide that, the answer will be crystal clear.


And how would you compare both to Wuskowhan? That’s also under consideration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2022 Farmers Insurance Open Photos - 26 WITBs & New Gear- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      General Albums - 
       
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #1
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #2
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #3
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #4
       
       
      WITB Albums - 
       
      Hideki Matsuyama - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sung Kang - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Adam Long - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Brandon Wu - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sam Burns - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Xander Schauffele - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Trey Mullinax - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Daniel Berger - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      James Hahn - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Phil Mickelson - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Aaron Wise - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Cameron Champ - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Kyle Stanley - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
      Pullout Albums - 
       
      New Super Stroke grip - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Tour Aim alignment aids - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Swag Golf: Hideki's caddie bowing at Augusta, signed headcovers – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Dylan Frittelli's Callaway Apex TCB Sand Wedge (1-of-1 proto) – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Bryson DeChambeau's Cobra King LTDx 5-degree driver – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      NeuroPeak Pro NTel Belt - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      JumboMax JMX Zen Lite grips – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
      Cameron Champ WITB has the new Ping i525

       
      Bryson's WITB has the new Cobra LTDx Driver 

       
      Phils new Rogue Driver

       
      Bryson's LAGolf Shaft in the driver

       
      Xander has the triple diamond "S" driver

       
      New SuperStroke grips for 2022

       
        • Thanks
      • 8 replies
    • 2022 The American Express WITB Photos (Spotted: New gear for 2022) - Discussion & Links
      Please put and comments or questions here
       
       
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2022 American Express
      New Taylor-Made putters - 2022 American Express
      New Odyssey putters - 2022 American Express
      New Axis 1 model putter - - 2022 American Express
      Patrick Cantlay - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Mitsubishi MMT putter shaft - 2022 American Express
      Ping putter - 2022 American Express
      Abraham Ancer - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Jason Dufner - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2022 American Express
      The Surgeon 6109 wedge - 2022 American Express
      LA Golf "DJ Series" shafts (2022 American Express)
       
       
       
      2022 American Express - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
      • 40 replies
    • Sony Open Pics from January 11, 2022 Part 1
      I was able to get out to the Sony Open today to take a few pics.  I guess due to Covid precautions they kept the spectators pretty far from the players.  Also due to camera restrictions they've put in place, I wasn't able to bring the big lens like I normally do. Hopefully they'll ease up on the ropes and I'll be able to get more pics tomorrow!
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 22 replies
    • 2022 Callaway Rogue ST drivers (in-hand photos)
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max driver
       

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver
       
      2021 Callaway Rogue ST Max 
       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS

       
      Rogue ST exploded views
        • Like
      • 218 replies
    • Titleist Vokey SM9 Link on Wedge Works Coming Soon- UPDATED Pics Added Pg 4
      Looks like there is a link on Titleist Wedge Works for the new Vokey SM9, but doesn't show any photos yet.
       
      https://www.vokey.com/product/WM137.html#start=4
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 237 replies

×
×
  • Create New...