Jump to content

Majors over -middle of July


jerry1967
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yeah, agree that it sucks. More spread out majors, apart from the viewing experience, means that guys have to work towards multiple peaks a year.

 

Now somebody who gets hot for a short stretch can contend in all of them and someone who is cold for a few months doesn’t get a shot at one, which doesn’t seem quite right to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the current lineup better than the old Apr/Jun/Jul/Aug. May was a weird month in the past. 

 

In a month, most of folks in the U.S. will care more about the football (college & professional). 

 

Every year, I follow golf from January's ToC to the last major. And I'm ready to take a break and watch something else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, tatertot said:

Summer Games ... Fed Ex Playoffs ... Ryder Cup ... still a lot of "big" events to go. The PGA wants to make sure players are "fresh" and not backing out of any events (especially the ones that don't have big paydays) or worn out.

 

Then they (PGA) should craft a schedule that flows better from place to place and give these guys half a chance logistically to get some downtime during the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, cmatthews77 said:

Yeah as much as it sucks we don’t have another major this year it’s still better this way. From what I posted in another thread…

 

Adding that obviously most know the Masters can’t move to May because of grass. Augusta National is winter rye grass. It turns brown and dies in the summer. 

 

 

 

The PGA and golf is much better in my opinion with the new format. A big “major” event every month from March to Sept…

 

TPC Sawgrass is way better in March than May from a hosting a tour event standpoint. 
 

The PGA being in May after the Masters has given some more life and spark to the event. The stupid “glory last shot” thing was lame and it just struggled being last IMO because after all the other majors it didn’t have enough identity.  Plus the move to May opens up some more venues they can use and have the course firm and fast without the course being so soft. It’s become a tough event that feels like a major moreso than it used to feel like more of a just bigger regular event where they shoot -20.
 

The FedEx Cup and Tour Championship will never and should never surpass a major but at least now it’s at least in August before football season and eyeballs have tuned out. 
 

Ryder Cup in Sept and wrap it up. 

 

 

I don't know which emojee doo-hickey is the disagree so I am just going to let you know I disagree with most every one of your points above.  (I agree that rye grass turns brown in summer however.)

 

If you desire something "big" in March there was a WGC event at the end of February and one at the end of March this year.  

March - Texas "Swing"

April - Masters and "the unofficial start of golf season. Followed by the Carolinas Swing

May - The Players and the Florida swing

June - The Memorial, US Open and Northward (Ideally, Dublin, Canadian Open, US Open in the Northeast, Connecticut, Michigan

July -  John Deere, The Open, who cares for a little while cause the fields are weak for a bit

August - PGA Championship* (in the heat in the middle part of the country in some sort of blue collar type town - StL, Chicago, Tulsa) playoffs

Sept - Tour Championship

Oct - Dec - Silly Season

 

*Not having an identity didn't have anything to do with where it was in the schedule so much as it had to do with not giving it an identity.  My answer is make it hot.  Make it in a blue collar mid-west type of atmosphere.  Pump up the PGA Professional side of it.  Make it a test but don't go full-on US Open set-up.  Erin Hills set up appropriately.  Crooked Stick, Medina, Southern Hills, Whistling Straits, Belerive, Hazeltine, Inverness, Firestone, Bethpage (I know not midwest but you get that everyman vibe there).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree , the fed ex cup is cool cause the players get a big bonus but that does nothing for me as a golf fan watching who knows they only really care about the majors ... so the end of the season is a little deflating IMO 

  • Like 2

TS3 Smoke 60g (S Flex)
TSi 2 16.5 Smoke 70g

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, smashdn said:

 

I don't know which emojee doo-hickey is the disagree so I am just going to let you know I disagree with most every one of your points above.  (I agree that rye grass turns brown in summer however.)

 

If you desire something "big" in March there was a WGC event at the end of February and one at the end of March this year.  

March - Texas "Swing"

April - Masters and "the unofficial start of golf season. Followed by the Carolinas Swing

May - The Players and the Florida swing

June - The Memorial, US Open and Northward (Ideally, Dublin, Canadian Open, US Open in the Northeast, Connecticut, Michigan

July -  John Deere, The Open, who cares for a little while cause the fields are weak for a bit

August - PGA Championship* (in the heat in the middle part of the country in some sort of blue collar type town - StL, Chicago, Tulsa) playoffs

Sept - Tour Championship

Oct - Dec - Silly Season

 

*Not having an identity didn't have anything to do with where it was in the schedule so much as it had to do with not giving it an identity.  My answer is make it hot.  Make it in a blue collar mid-west type of atmosphere.  Pump up the PGA Professional side of it.  Make it a test but don't go full-on US Open set-up.  Erin Hills set up appropriately.  Crooked Stick, Medina, Southern Hills, Whistling Straits, Belerive, Hazeltine, Inverness, Firestone, Bethpage (I know not midwest but you get that everyman vibe there).

Florida's rainy season starts in May and 1/3+ of the population leaves mid to late April, events would be hurt drastically

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 4:06 AM, bladehunter said:

I’d prefer the open be during cool weather with wind.

 

It's generally taking place in northern England, or Scotland, in mid July.

 

Short of moving it to Cape Horn, it's a pretty solid bet for coolness and wind. 😗

 

 

 

 

 

Old Nike woods with blue shafts, Titleist 712Us and a bagful of 681s, two rusty old Vokeys, an Eye 2 L wedge and an Anser 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, mat562 said:

 

It's generally taking place in northern England, or Scotland, in mid July.

 

Short of moving it to Cape Horn, it's a pretty solid bet for coolness and wind. 😗

 

 

Not this year Matty boy! It’s 16 degrees (60 for our American cousins) where I am today. Tapps aff kinds weather 😂

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

 

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mat562 said:

 

It's generally taking place in northern England, or Scotland, in mid July.

 

Short of moving it to Cape Horn, it's a pretty solid bet for coolness and wind. 😗

 

 

 

 

 

So we just got hosed this year ? 

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 3:03 PM, jerry1967 said:

Middle of July and the Majors are over. This needs to be changed back.

 

In an effort to try and make the FedEx Cup Playoffs prestigious, the PGA Tour strong armed the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship from August to May.

 

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

 

In an effort to try and make the FedEx Cup Playoffs prestigious, the PGA Tour strong armed the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship from August to May.

 

and I think they will find that even fewer people care about watching pro golf after the last major.  So for many of us the Pro season is over and it's 261 days until The Masters.   

 

On top of that, US TV coverage mostly stinks (aside from the Masters which is superior in every possible way).  They move broadcasts around on premium streams in hopes to chisel more money from the avid fan but all the while leaving the majority of watchers in the dark.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the FedEx Cup wanting to be over by Labor Day, the PGA was getting too close to the Open. On a normal year there were two tournaments after the Open before the PGA, only one tournament during the Olympic year.  At least now there's a fairly equal spread between the majors. They need to keep the schedule, Masters, 4 tournaments, PGA Championship, 4 tournaments, US Open, 4 tournaments, the Open, as often as they can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dont' we have the olympics this year too??

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Diamana TB 70TX tipped 1.0"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

TI Apex TCB / 3-PW / TI X100

RTX Zipcore Black / 54, 60 / KBS Tour S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"  & Spider EX Navy / 36"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

dont' we have the olympics this year too??

Yep. Except they are back in 2020 according to the logo.  I’m not sure how we can go back there.  For me personally 2020 is dead to me.  
 

 

I just hate we finished the major calendar on such a snooze fest.  I didn’t get to see it all live , so I recorded every second of it.  Tried to watch it yesterday and finally just stopped on 14.  I fell asleep twice.  Nothing ever happened.  I don’t know. I just couldn’t get into it at all.  And I absolutely love to watch links golf.  This to me didn’t look like links golf at all.  

  • Thanks 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

and I think they will find that even fewer people care about watching pro golf after the last major.  So for many of us the Pro season is over and it's 261 days until The Masters.   

 

On top of that, US TV coverage mostly stinks (aside from the Masters which is superior in every possible way).  They move broadcasts around on premium streams in hopes to chisel more money from the avid fan but all the while leaving the majority of watchers in the dark.  

That’s exactly how I feel.  I’ll watch. But it feels like silly season now.  And It’s 95 degrees out.  Way too early to finish.  
 

spot on with TV coverage. Absolutely correct. 

  • Thanks 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. Except they are back in 2020 according to the logo.  I’m not sure how we can go back there.  For me personally 2020 is dead to me.  
 

 

I just hate we finished the major calendar on such a snooze fest.  I didn’t get to see it all live , so I recorded every second of it.  Tried to watch it yesterday and finally just stopped on 14.  I fell asleep twice.  Nothing ever happened.  I don’t know. I just couldn’t get into it at all.  And I absolutely love to watch links golf.  This to me didn’t look like links golf at all.  

i agree with you on the snooze fest. there were no fireworks, no anything. are we not all being a bit...i dunno, sensitive to this stuff? 

can no one appreciate the fact we at least have golf to watch, or attend? 

 

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Diamana TB 70TX tipped 1.0"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

TI Apex TCB / 3-PW / TI X100

RTX Zipcore Black / 54, 60 / KBS Tour S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"  & Spider EX Navy / 36"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, JK Ward said:

With the FedEx Cup wanting to be over by Labor Day, the PGA was getting too close to the Open. On a normal year there were two tournaments after the Open before the PGA, only one tournament during the Olympic year.  At least now there's a fairly equal spread between the majors. They need to keep the schedule, Masters, 4 tournaments, PGA Championship, 4 tournaments, US Open, 4 tournaments, the Open, as often as they can.

 That was the schedule for over 50 years.

 

The FedEx cup created the problem. I don't think jamming the same amount of golf in a shorter season will do golf any favors over the long term. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 99 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...