Jump to content

3M Open 2021


MattyO1984
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

 

Your point? I said he hit it way left.......I'm pretty sure he didn't want to go there.....😐

Oh wow haha. Ppl are touchy today. Just bcs I quoted you, it doesn’t mean I was saying you did or said anything wrong! 😂 I was just adding to your post as to what I thought happened.

Edited by TiScape
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They lost me with the George Floyd question after the round in the interview with Cameron by Golf Channel…..really?  

Edited by toddba11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Titleist TSi2 10 Degree - Tensei White CK Pro  45"
3 Wood: Titleist TS2 
Irons: 4 - PW Wilson FG62 S300 +1"
Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Vokey 8M 46,52 (both F grind),60 (M grind) degree. SW: Ping I10

Putter: TP Mills Bull Elf or Piretti Workshop Tour - plumber neck
Ball: Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: 2018 Sun Mountain C-130

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Champ did exactly what he was supposed to do. He stuck to his strategy and got the short end of his dispersion pattern. The result was the worst that could have happened and he had a plan for that. Hitting iron would have brought water into play on both sides. Had he dunked into the water everyone would have been calling him an idiot for changing his strategy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Ye reminded me, listen to some Stones tomorrow; )

 

 

C311E352-7A30-4039-98CB-49A3D8FB9149.jpeg

May I suggest Angie ,  and wild horses.  Two of the not so commercialized tracks. Those are my favorites anyway. 

  • Like 2

TM Stealth +  8* Kai li 60x 

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Very sm7 50* edel sms 54* 58* MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, PowerPlayer said:

Champ did exactly what he was supposed to do. He stuck to his strategy and got the short end of his dispersion pattern. The result was the worst that could have happened and he had a plan for that. Hitting iron would have brought water into play on both sides. Had he dunked into the water everyone would have been calling him an idiot for changing his strategy. 

I don’t agree on the dispersion pattern. The water was absolutely in play with driver.  100 %. That’s why he subconsciously double crossed it left. He knew a big cut was wet. And that’s what he lined up for.  He had hit it in water with driver once already this week.  With driver.  On 18. So it was not a wet proof play.    2 iron was around 300 after roll. He could have aimed left rough with it on same lines as driver snd his cone to the right wouldn’t have reached water.  Was there water left?  That I can’t remember.   
 

I think I agree with him hitting driver because he hits it so well. But.  I don’t think we can claim it was water risk free after he’d already proved it wasn’t.  

  • Like 1

TM Stealth +  8* Kai li 60x 

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Very sm7 50* edel sms 54* 58* MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t agree on the dispersion pattern. The water was absolutely in play with driver.  100 %. That’s why he subconsciously double crossed it left. He knew a big cut was wet. And that’s what he lined up for.  He had hit it in water with driver once already this week.  With driver.  On 18. So it was not a wet proof play.    2 iron was around 300 after roll. He could have aimed left rough with it on same lines as driver snd his cone to the right wouldn’t have reached water.  Was there water left?  That I can’t remember.   
 

I think I agree with him hitting driver because he hits it so well. But.  I don’t think we can claim it was water risk free after he’d already proved it wasn’t.  

I don't quite follow your thought process here. You don't know whether there's water left which is half of my point and reason why he decided to go with driver, I presume. Water right was in play with almost any tee club for him. Driver takes pull hook/double cross water left out the equation for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We watched so, SO, SO many players hit into the water on 18, watching Sung Kang implode was sad. Tough hole...

 

M

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

Taylor-made P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kody17 said:

Was at the event today. Sat at hole #1 for quite a while to see everyone tee off. Par 4, dog leg to the right, that has a  mound with a couple of bunkers a ways down there. Everyone was hitting driver, and most were carrying it over the bunkers (not sure how far the carry was) except I saw Pat Perez and of all people, Tony Finau come up short and end up in the bunker.

 

So now, here comes Cameron Champ. Sitting, waiting on the teebox to get the announcement to tee off.  The guy pulls out an iron lol. My buddy and I are thinking, you've gotta be f***** kidding me, there's no way he's laying up. We figured he must be thinking of going the Luke Donald route and playing it safe out to the left of the mound and bunkers into the fairway. Well, low and behold, he wasn't laying up lol.

 

The guy absolutely smashes it, and everyone is watching the ball head straight towards the mound. I'm thinking no way in my head as I watch it, but yep, he clears the mound/bunkers and ends up in the fairway where everyone else was with their drivers lol.

 

Point of this story... WOWWW!!! 

 

Yeah, we followed Cameron on Saturday and he was outdriving Schenk and Hubbard by 20-30 yards with his iron...when he hit driver, it was more like 70 yards.

 

M

  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

Taylor-made P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, PowerPlayer said:

I don't quite follow your thought process here. You don't know whether there's water left which is half of my point and reason why he decided to go with driver, I presume. Water right was in play with almost any tee club for him. Driver takes pull hook/double cross water left out the equation for him. 

I read your post to say that driver was safe no matter what.  If that’s incorrect then no problem.  If there is water left it must be short left off the tee ?  How many duck hooks will he hit with 3 iron ? Like I said. I agree with him hitting driver , but I think it’s for different reasons.  I think it’s correct because it’s the shot he saw , you should  never play against your gut.  You won’t  commit if you don’t believe in what you’re doing.  
 

if he were to lay up , the play might have been 3 -7 irons in.  

TM Stealth +  8* Kai li 60x 

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Very sm7 50* edel sms 54* 58* MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:


 

That’s some deep, soulful, selections blade ; )

 

 

Lol. Thanks.  Wild horses has always been a woefully underrated performance in my mind. It never ever gets play.  

  • Like 1

TM Stealth +  8* Kai li 60x 

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Very sm7 50* edel sms 54* 58* MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, kody17 said:

Was at the event today. Sat at hole #1 for quite a while to see everyone tee off. Par 4, dog leg to the right, that has a  mound with a couple of bunkers a ways down there. Everyone was hitting driver, and most were carrying it over the bunkers (not sure how far the carry was) except I saw Pat Perez and of all people, Tony Finau come up short and end up in the bunker.

 

So now, here comes Cameron Champ. Sitting, waiting on the teebox to get the announcement to tee off.  The guy pulls out an iron lol. My buddy and I are thinking, you've gotta be f***** kidding me, there's no way he's laying up. We figured he must be thinking of going the Luke Donald route and playing it safe out to the left of the mound and bunkers into the fairway. Well, low and behold, he wasn't laying up lol.

 

The guy absolutely smashes it, and everyone is watching the ball head straight towards the mound. I'm thinking no way in my head as I watch it, but yep, he clears the mound/bunkers and ends up in the fairway where everyone else was with their drivers lol.

 

Point of this story... WOWWW!!! 

Could you describe the ball flight when he hit it?

I've never seen him play live and I've been intrigued by him since he first won on tour. Other descriptions I've read are usually along the lines of a low fade that seems to explode off the clubface at an unreal speed

Edited by the_disappointer
Grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I read your post to say that driver was safe no matter what.  If that’s incorrect then no problem.  If there is water left it must be short left off the tee ?  How many duck hooks will he hit with 3 iron ? Like I said. I agree with him hitting driver , but I think it’s for different reasons.  I think it’s correct because it’s the shot he saw , you should  never play against your gut.  You won’t  commit if you don’t believe in what you’re doing.  
 

if he were to lay up , the play might have been 3 -7 irons in.  

The funny thing is I am not sure he even hit one driver on the back nine. He was hammering his 2-iron. I agree you have to hit the shot that you think is correct, but his choice just didn't make sense in the context of his round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, kody17 said:

Was at the event today. Sat at hole #1 for quite a while to see everyone tee off. Par 4, dog leg to the right, that has a  mound with a couple of bunkers a ways down there. Everyone was hitting driver, and most were carrying it over the bunkers (not sure how far the carry was) except I saw Pat Perez and of all people, Tony Finau come up short and end up in the bunker.

 

So now, here comes Cameron Champ. Sitting, waiting on the teebox to get the announcement to tee off.  The guy pulls out an iron lol. My buddy and I are thinking, you've gotta be f***** kidding me, there's no way he's laying up. We figured he must be thinking of going the Luke Donald route and playing it safe out to the left of the mound and bunkers into the fairway. Well, low and behold, he wasn't laying up lol.

 

The guy absolutely smashes it, and everyone is watching the ball head straight towards the mound. I'm thinking no way in my head as I watch it, but yep, he clears the mound/bunkers and ends up in the fairway where everyone else was with their drivers lol.

 

Point of this story... WOWWW!!! 

 

we were on 11 right behind the teebox (thanks for the TV time, CBS, lol) when he hit his 368 yard drive.  Very cool to see how straight all of these guys generally hit their drivers.  Jimmy Walker hit a baby draw that he claimed he mis hit, and it still went 332.  We later migrated over to 14 tee and then 18 tee at the end, and were standing right behind Cam when he pull hooked his drive to the left.  As soon as he hit it I said "oh s***"

 

One thing I liked walking around and standing at teeboxes is that I didn't hear anybody being stupid asses and yelling dumb crap.  Maybe I just missed all of that by actually being there vs. watching it on tv.

Edited by Dillio187
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever he did on 18 doesn't matter now.  As far as the history books are concerned CC is 2021 3M Champion.

It's like the guy who scatters all over the place and then makes a 50 footer for par.  Scorecard don't care lol.  Par is par.

  • Like 2

Ping G410+  9* Fujikura Tour Spec 7.2 Stiff
PING G425 17.5 Tour 75 Stiff
PING G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
PING I210 4-GW DGS 120 Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58

Ping Anser

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the_disappointer said:

Could you describe the ball flight when he hit it?

I've never seen him play live and I've been intrigued by him since he first won on tour. Other descriptions I've read are usually along the lines of a low fade that seems to explode off the clubface at an unreal speed

 

I followed him Saturday. My understanding is that he hits a 3 iron that is bent 1* strong for his driving iron. It's a very low all flight that just pierces and then climbs. It was pretty amazing to watch. Just effortless power.

  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

Taylor-made P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, physasst said:

 

I followed him Saturday. My understanding is that he hits a 3 iron that is bent 1* strong for his driving iron. It's a very low all flight that just pierces and then climbs. It was pretty amazing to watch. Just effortless power.

 Wish they had more breakdowns of that swing, rather that showing BDC heaving drives 30 yards left and right. CC possess just effortless power like you said.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, the_disappointer said:

Could you describe the ball flight when he hit it?

I've never seen him play live and I've been intrigued by him since he first won on tour. Other descriptions I've read are usually along the lines of a low fade that seems to explode off the clubface at an unreal speed

As stated above already, it is a pretty low piercing flight that climbs. I would love to know the ball speed that guy has with his 3 iron. It really is awesome to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dillio187 said:

 

we were on 11 right behind the teebox (thanks for the TV time, CBS, lol) when he hit his 368 yard drive.  Very cool to see how straight all of these guys generally hit their drivers.  Jimmy Walker hit a baby draw that he claimed he mis hit, and it still went 332.  We later migrated over to 14 tee and then 18 tee at the end, and were standing right behind Cam when he pull hooked his drive to the left.  As soon as he hit it I said "oh s***"

 

One thing I liked walking around and standing at teeboxes is that I didn't hear anybody being stupid asses and yelling dumb crap.  Maybe I just missed all of that by actually being there vs. watching it on tv.

 

I think the only poor drive we saw all day was actually Jimmy Walker's on the 1st hole on Sunday. He left it way out to the right and put it in the trees. 

 

But in general, yes, it is just super impressive how consistent these guys are with drivers, let alone irons and wedges.

Edited by kody17
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 1:34 PM, caeye0710 said:

I should have put some context that I have no idea if I'm speaking facts. I remember reading about it some time ago. 

 

Edit: Just read up on it and you are correct. It seems some of the guys sponsored by 3M have it in their agreement that they play in the tournament. 

This is a very bad conspiracy theory post. Should not be here. 

When a player goes to the 3M, chances are he will meet at the pro-am probably a CEO of some global company that may mean a lot of $$$ promotional I ncome on the future for the player. Is not the same to play at the Safeway in a pro-am with a Portland Gas station owner than in the 3M, or the Zurich or the MasterCard with the CEO of BMW or LG. 
 

Plus 3M can use one of their fleet of jets to charter players all over the world from last week’s event. Try that in the John Deere. 

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Srixon XV balls


[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Strategery said:

Wrong. It was a stupid play that almost cost him, but he was lucky and got away with it. Strategy matters, and we can learn why by watching a near JVDV.

Well I'm going to dwell on the fact that he won and not that he could've lost.  

History will remember him as the winner. 

  • Like 1

Ping G410+  9* Fujikura Tour Spec 7.2 Stiff
PING G425 17.5 Tour 75 Stiff
PING G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
PING I210 4-GW DGS 120 Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58

Ping Anser

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Strategery said:

Wrong. It was a stupid play that almost cost him, but he was lucky and got away with it. Strategy matters, and we can learn why by watching a near JVDV.

 

I agree 100%. Hitting an iron doesn't mean he has to hit the 2 iron. He could have hit a 4 or 5 iron and still easily hit the green in regulation. Zero chance TW hits Driver in the same situation...for very good reason.

 

He needed 6 to win. Driver brought 7 into play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't recall water being left on 18.  There was that group of trees that he was aiming at but he double crossed and pulled that thing way left.  

 

I know after the round he said he had no thoughts of hitting anything other than driver as that was his play all week.  But I don't think that was the play there and then.  Take a club that gets you to the fat spot in the fairway short of the trees on the left.  Lay up to about where he was with his fourth.  I don't know if that is 4i, 5i or what but I think that was the "correct" play.  Boring golf at that point is winning golf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2022 Farmers Insurance Open Photos - 26 WITBs & New Gear- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      General Albums - 
       
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #1
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #2
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #3
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #4
       
       
      WITB Albums - 
       
      Hideki Matsuyama - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sung Kang - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Adam Long - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Brandon Wu - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sam Burns - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Xander Schauffele - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Trey Mullinax - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Daniel Berger - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      James Hahn - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Phil Mickelson - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Aaron Wise - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Cameron Champ - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Kyle Stanley - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
      Pullout Albums - 
       
      New Super Stroke grip - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Tour Aim alignment aids - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Swag Golf: Hideki's caddie bowing at Augusta, signed headcovers – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Dylan Frittelli's Callaway Apex TCB Sand Wedge (1-of-1 proto) – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Bryson DeChambeau's Cobra King LTDx 5-degree driver – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      NeuroPeak Pro NTel Belt - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      JumboMax JMX Zen Lite grips – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
      Cameron Champ WITB has the new Ping i525

       
      Bryson's WITB has the new Cobra LTDx Driver 

       
      Phils new Rogue Driver

       
      Bryson's LAGolf Shaft in the driver

       
      Xander has the triple diamond "S" driver

       
      New SuperStroke grips for 2022

       
        • Thanks
      • 8 replies
    • 2022 The American Express WITB Photos (Spotted: New gear for 2022) - Discussion & Links
      Please put and comments or questions here
       
       
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2022 American Express
      New Taylor-Made putters - 2022 American Express
      New Odyssey putters - 2022 American Express
      New Axis 1 model putter - - 2022 American Express
      Patrick Cantlay - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Mitsubishi MMT putter shaft - 2022 American Express
      Ping putter - 2022 American Express
      Abraham Ancer - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Jason Dufner - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2022 American Express
      The Surgeon 6109 wedge - 2022 American Express
      LA Golf "DJ Series" shafts (2022 American Express)
       
       
       
      2022 American Express - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
      • 40 replies
    • Sony Open Pics from January 11, 2022 Part 1
      I was able to get out to the Sony Open today to take a few pics.  I guess due to Covid precautions they kept the spectators pretty far from the players.  Also due to camera restrictions they've put in place, I wasn't able to bring the big lens like I normally do. Hopefully they'll ease up on the ropes and I'll be able to get more pics tomorrow!
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 22 replies
    • 2022 Callaway Rogue ST drivers (in-hand photos)
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max driver
       

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver
       
      2021 Callaway Rogue ST Max 
       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS

       
      Rogue ST exploded views
        • Like
      • 225 replies
    • Titleist Vokey SM9 Link on Wedge Works Coming Soon- UPDATED Pics Added Pg 4
      Looks like there is a link on Titleist Wedge Works for the new Vokey SM9, but doesn't show any photos yet.
       
      https://www.vokey.com/product/WM137.html#start=4
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 237 replies

×
×
  • Create New...