2021 Amundi Evian Championship (Jul 22 - 25)

6 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

They are also quick to mention how Lydia has gained 20 yards off the tee multiple times per telecast, sad thing is she hasn't. 
2021=257

2020=254

2019=245

2018=245

2017=243

2016=246

2015=250

2014=249

In all fairness though, don't forget that they measure the driving distance on a limited number of holes and it is not an average based on every par 4 or 5 hole.    So, it is quite conceivable that she is hitting the ball noticeably further without it being reflected as much in the driving stats.  

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

In all fairness though, don't forget that they measure the driving distance on a limited number of holes and it is not an average based on every par 4 or 5 hole.    So, it is quite conceivable that she is hitting the ball noticeably further without it be reflected as much in the driving stats.  

I think this too.

The thing about Lydia now is that she seems to have a long ball when she needs it, like on par 5's for instance. But still those snap pull hooks are killing her. She seems to follow them up with some block fades (where have I seen that before?).

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Cristie Kerr..no doubt.

Na, not Christie

• Confused 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

8 hours ago, KBong said:

Come on...now you NEED to give me a clue...lol.

Kristin Gillman?

Na

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

7 hours ago, KBong said:

I don't think so.

Rapid seems to imply that there is some tension between Brooke and this player....I maybe mistaken...but I don't recall any tension between Crusty and Brooke.

Not aware of any tension between Brooke and this player - that's not my angle. Although if my scenario happened, a feud could result.

Whilst I don't like the carry-on between Brooke/Brittany as it is too slow and the coverage loves to show it (annoying), it is the continual reference to it by the commentators that I want gone. I think I have developed PTSD about this issue - first it built to irritation, then annoyance but now I have lapsed into despair.

As unofficial president of the Lee6 fan club, I can finally bring myself to comment on this.

Congrats to Minjee, who I am also a big fan of!! It was an epic final day, and I was rooting for all 3 contenders, and I wanted each of them to win.

When a player blows a 5 shot lead, I have to ask, did she really blow it? To some extent, the 61 gave her a chance, but she wasn't quite good enough, this time, to take it. But she did blow it to some extent. At the start of the final round I thought she was trying to stay calm and composed, instead of thinking positive golf thoughts. Compare that to rounds 1 and 2 where she was working on her swing constantly, even when she was not up to hit. So positive, trying to do something, rather than trying to not do something - as in, get rattled.

ps Noh is way better than she is given credit for. Like In Gee, she has been out of favour with the television people, but I rate her very highly.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

As unofficial president of the Lee6 fan club, I can finally bring myself to comment on this.

Congrats to Minjee, who I am also a big fan of!! It was an epic final day, and I was rooting for all 3 contenders, and I wanted each of them to win.

When a player blows a 5 shot lead, I have to ask, did she really blow it? To some extent, the 61 gave her a chance, but she wasn't quite good enough, this time, to take it. But she did blow it to some extent. At the start of the final round I thought she was trying to stay calm and composed, instead of thinking positive golf thoughts. Compare that to rounds 1 and 2 where she was working on her swing constantly, even when she was not up to hit. So positive, trying to do something, rather than trying to not do something - as in, get rattled.

ps Noh is way better than she is given credit for. Like In Gee, she has been out of favour with the television people, but I rate her very highly.

@Raving Shanker: "+1" w.r.t. the appreciation for Lee6
(especially Lee6's efforts to improve her English proficiency).
..Albeit the playoff = a "no lose" in my eyes  (because MinJee was also due her first major title, IMHO).

I saw this old NYT ~2008 article today, and thought you might like it too.
.."Koreans learn to speak LPGA's language"

(NYT article found indirectly, via a google-search, as i was trying to find the answer to @Rapidcat's Riddle ... a.k.a.. "who has a beef with Brooke/Brittany" ... my guess = the outspoken Christina Kim perhaps?)

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/02iht-GOLF.1.17442766.html

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

Seemed like Lee6 was playing to protect a lead and that often times doesn't work. IMO thats why Tiger lost the 2009 PGA to YE Yang.   Play like the way that got you the lead and not take on a different conservative game plan.   Lee6 came back when she went into attack mode.  

In any event I've been a long time fan of MinJee since she came on Tour. Congrats on a heroic win.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

9 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Raving Shanker: "+1" w.r.t. the appreciation for Lee6
(especially Lee6's efforts to improve her English proficiency).
..Albeit the playoff = a "no lose" in my eyes  (because MinJee was also due her first major title, IMHO).

I saw this old NYT ~2008 article today, and thought you might like it too.
.."Koreans learn to speak LPGA's language"

(NYT article found indirectly, via a google-search, as i was trying to find the answer to @Rapidcat's Riddle ... a.k.a.. "who has a beef with Brooke/Brittany" ... my guess = the outspoken Christina Kim perhaps?)

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/02iht-GOLF.1.17442766.html

Not Christina Kim, Jungle.

I'm not aware that the player I'm thinking of has a beef with Brooke/Brittany.

I'm coming at this from a different angle.

I'm also aware that I am starting to sound like some of the past nutters on Hogan threads claiming that they have uncovered his 'secret' but never revealing what it is but leaving cryptic clues.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

In all fairness though, don't forget that they measure the driving distance on a limited number of holes and it is not an average based on every par 4 or 5 hole.    So, it is quite conceivable that she is hitting the ball noticeably further without it being reflected as much in the driving stats.  

Must be safe to assume Anne van Dam is easily averaging 300yds.

2 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Not necessarily ... if she is outperforming on the pair of measurable driving holes, then her statistical average would be skewed higher.   Just like Lydia could be performing above her average of the two measurable holes.    Without the data from every single driving hole (pars 4 & 5), it is impossible to know how accurate and how reliable these existing numbers are.

3 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Not necessarily ... if she is outperforming on the pair of measurable driving holes, then her statistical average would be skewed higher.   Just like Lydia could be performing above her average of the two measurable holes.    Without the data from every single driving hole (pars 4 & 5), it is impossible to know how accurate and how reliable these existing numbers are.

Personally, I think it is hard to say any player is under or outperforming their full average based on the measured holes.  Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if the measured average is more than a few yards difference from the "true average."  And by true average I mean including all the shots.  I will conceded that the less accurate players may be losing a few yards due to shots landing in the rough/no roll.  However, if you do some quick math I think this is unlikely to be more than about 5 yards.  I.e. we can't just look at the holes were Lydia stripes one and is probably down there 20-30 yards from before (i.e. only consider her good shots compared to the prior average of all shots).

Also, no proof but just from an eye test I don't think her stats are that far off.  I think she has about the same zip on the ball as Minjee, Lee6, etc.  They are all low 140s ball speed off the tee.  Further, while not entirely comparable watch what they hit off of par 3s, and I also think it's hard to conclude Lydia is much longer than what her stats say.

8 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

And what? Based on her career and most recent performances the rest of her game on the LPGA is not very good at all. Good thing for $$ she has some shaky endorsement money to fall back on. Not just her. 

The median player averages 71% of their fairways, or roughly 10 out of 14. I tend to agree that even if they measured all 14 fairways the average wouldn't be skewed too much by the four that found the rough. We see a lot of drives roll 20 to 40 yards and say, "Wow", but I think 10 to 15 yds is more typical. 

6ix averages 262 yds using the two hole calculation. If she hit her average on 8 of the other 12 unmeasured drives, and only 252 on the four misses, she'd have an average of 259.1.

If she really botched the four missed fairways, and hit it 240 yds each, she'd have an average of 255 yds. So, best case the two drive calculation is likely off by 3 yds, and worst case it's off by 7 yds.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

The median player averages 71% of their fairways, or roughly 10 out of 14. I tend to agree that even if they measured all 14 fairways the average wouldn't be skewed too much by the four that found the rough. We see a lot of drives roll 20 to 40 yards and say, "Wow", but I think 10 to 15 yds is more typical. 

6ix averages 262 yds using the two hole calculation. If she hit her average on 8 of the other 12 unmeasured drives, and only 252 on the four misses, she'd have an average of 259.1.

If she really botched the four missed fairways, and hit it 240 yds each, she'd have an average of 255 yds. So, best case the two drive calculation is likely off by 3 yds, and worst case it's off by 7 yds.

What I also mean is that we have no way to conclude any particular player hits the fairway more or less on the measured holes than they do on all holes (i.e. season average).  When you look at any individual player, sometime you see a 230 number for the round (2 holes) and sometimes a 280 number (all from players in the mid-250s to low-260s season average).

The other thing you can do as an extreme is assume a player hits 70% of fairways / misses 30% and then assume the 30% is all carry of X yards and the 70% is X yards + whatever average roll you want to assume.  Change the fairways up/down 10%-15%, which is a huge variation at this level, and you will see the less accurate driver probably isn't being punished much on the average driving distance due to shots in the rough.

I will say I think the average roll is more than 10-15 yards.  Some weeks it is huge, some weeks it is < 5 yards.  But there seem to be a lot more of the former than the later.  I.e. I don't think these mid-90s ss players averaging around 260 can carry it ~245+ on average.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, grm24 said:

And what? Based on her career and most recent performances the rest of her game on the LPGA is not very good at all. Good thing for $$ she has some shaky endorsement money to fall back on. Not just her. 

lol, go back and read the conversation before you jump down my throat. Nobody said anything about Anne's overall game.

On 7/27/2021 at 8:30 PM, Golf Dino said:

I was only saying the same thing you said about Lydia. "So, it is quite conceivable that she is hitting the ball noticeably further without it being reflected as much in the driving stats."

It does suck they only use the two holes, and I do agree it's not the most accurate way to estimate.