Ryder Cup - Do we even have a chance?

caeye0710

19 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

Dont they begin with fourball play though? 

Considering it is foursomes first, what would you recommend? Keep in mind they prefer to play all 12 players on day 1. (They have done this for at least the previous 2 cups.) This is to keep everyone in the game and also to see if someone is really playing well. Then they can keep them going on day 2. I have no doubt Europe did this last time with the Molinari and Fleetwood pairing. 

I think the Ryder Cup app and website have incorrect info for Bryson. They show his record as 0-3-0 (which is correct) but as 0-2 in Fourball - which I think is incorrect. I believe he was 0-2 in Foursomes. He played with Woods in one match, and with Phil. Both times they got drummed 5 & 4(?) Starting rookies in Fourball would be better(?) Not sure on the history of it, but maybe this is what the Task Force came up with. Both Phil an Tiger were involved with the Task Force. Anyway, as I mentioned, Bryson plays a different ball and he is a little quirky/scientific. I would start him in Fourball this time.

• Like 1

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

5 minutes ago, mark m said:

Considering it is foursomes first, what would you recommend? Keep in mind they prefer to play all 12 players on day 1. (They have done this for at least the previous 2 cups.) This is to keep everyone in the game and also to see if someone is really playing well. Then they can keep them going on day 2. I have no doubt Europe did this last time with the Molinari and Fleetwood pairing. 

I think the Ryder Cup app and website have incorrect info for Bryson. They show his record as 0-3-0 (which is correct) but as 0-2 in Fourball - which I think is incorrect. I believe he was 0-2 in Foursomes. He played with Woods in one match, and with Phil. Both times they got drummed 5 & 4(?) Starting rookies in Fourball would be better(?) Not sure on the history of it, but maybe this is what the Task Force came up with. Both Phil an Tiger were involved with the Task Force. Anyway, as I mentioned, Bryson plays a different ball and he is a little quirky/scientific. I would start him in Fourball this time.

Foursomes, (going with your idea that Bryson starts on the bench)

1) Spieth/JT still a given

2) DJ & Morikawa- Taylormade guys, thinking they have a rapport and could be a beast pairing in fourball as well

3) Cantlay & Koepka

4) Schauffele & Finau

I like the idea of a RC rook with a vet.

That said, what would be greater than Koepka and Bryson paired together in foursomes?? The Euros would have no chance of concentrating as it would be impossible to not watch these 2 go at each other lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

2) DJ & Morikawa- Taylormade guys, thinking they have a rapport and could be a beast pairing in fourball as well

3) Cantlay & Koepka

4) Schauffele & Finau

That said, what would be greater than Koepka and Bryson paired together in foursomes?? The Euros would have no chance of concentrating as it would be impossible to not watch these 2 go at each other lol

That’s my 8 as well. Just not sure on who goes with who? The guys needed to be frank on their preferences with Stricker before his picks. We’ll see. Depends on who looks good in practice just prior, but I bet we’ll see at least 6 of those you mentioned in the first foursomes match. 

Personally, I liked the old President’s Cup format. Four days instead of three. All players competed in 6 matches day 1 and 2. One day was Fourball, the other Foursomes. Day 3 was 5 & 5. Day 4 was singles. I don’t like to see guys sit. You made the team - go play! The depth is there. And better for the fans as well. I could see 16-man teams in the future. If that happened, they would need to look at options for the Saturday segments.

• Like 1

Fit at Totally Driven:
Newport 2.5

16 hours ago, MerryTex said:

I just want Stricks to go in and tell the guys before they tee off on Day 1…”I guess there’s only one thing left to do…what’s that?…win the whole f’in thing.”

Brooks had some dumb comments, yeah. Bryson is prepping for long drive, dumb. People are crying about players being left out, grow up. Put everything aside and play for your country. I just want there to be a full team of guys wanting to kick Europe to the curb. Simple as. I don’t understand why playing a Ryder Cup seems so unimportant to some. I’d be all about it. I’d want every bit of every match. People make the comment that it’s just one or two guys who aren’t bought in or whatever but that’s one or two too many. It can ruin a team’s chemistry in a heartbeat. 

Europe has had our number 9 of the last 12 and just look at their team culture. It’s almost bred into them. You’ve got guys like Fleetwood who would rather win the Ryder Cup than a Major. Crazy, I know but that’s their motivation. I think not having Reed might hurt but he had health issues so I get it. Billy Ho might have been the answer to Poults but who knows. Them having Mr. Ryder Cup is tough. I know there’s a chance he may be off this year but it is the Ryder Cup and Poulter is unbelievable. 

I honestly think the only way we win at Whistling this year is if we’re on fire on the greens. It’s going to come down to sinking putts. I hope we win on home soil. The one thing that is interesting to me is that I have a feeling the course won’t benefit either team. I think it’ll actually level the playing field instead of the usual setups here that suit our players.  

I realize that I drop in every now and again, claim some comment is the latest greatest post since sliced bread, yada yada yada, however the Texster's thoughts are spot on👌🏼!!

The fact that his thoughts and opinion mirrors mine is just icing on the cake🎂!!

Have a Great Weekend My Friends👊
RP

• Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Justin Ray is a little off. It’s not apples to apples. The Euros play Fourball first, and the US plays Foursomes first. Examples:

In the US, 2012 at Medina, it was 2 points each in foursomes. At Hazeltine, the US won 4-0. The US should have won the cup at Medina. They had a 10-6 lead but collapsed in the singles. My memory may be faulty, but the consensus here at the time was to blame MJ. Lol. In general, the home teams have done well the past 4 cups. 

For team Europe, in Foursomes on day 1, they won 3.5-0.5 in 2014 in Scotland, and 4-0 last match France (2018).

B24D9CE9-6C3C-4038-9AC3-9103A8BC58B5.jpeg

Fit at Totally Driven:
Newport 2.5

8 minutes ago, ChrisL52188 said:

He made his teammates better to win championships. Enough said. 

You sure about that?  He played for 6 years before he ever won a championship.  Magic won a championship as a rookie.  If Jordan had started in the same year as Magic and Bird, he would not have won any championships.  Jordan only started winning championships when the players on the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons got old.

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

18 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

What athlete in their right mind wouldn’t want to be hangin with the

Greatest sports star of all time?

Maybe some fans don’t like it.

But I guarantee MJ walks into the room to share some wisdom on competing, and these guys, or any pro athlete in any sport, shuts up and pays attention. 

I know I would pay to attend a session from MJ on how to push off to get your shot off.  Doh!

Scottie Newport M2

1 hour ago, ShowMe said:

You sure about that?  He played for 6 years before he ever won a championship.  Magic won a championship as a rookie.  If Jordan had started in the same year as Magic and Bird, he would not have won any championships.  Jordan only started winning championships when the players on the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons got old.

These kind of discussions go nowhere because to flat out state that "If Jordan started in the same year as Magic and Bird, he would not have won any Championships" is ludicrous because if Jordan had the teams that he had for Threepeat I & Threepeat II, he would have given Bird's Celts & Magic's Showtime crew all that they could handle.

Would he have walked away with six titles, much less two Threepeats?

Most likely not, however to state unequivocally that Michael & the Boys wouldn't have walked away without at least one title is a tad myopic, or the opinion of a Celts' or Lakers' fan😂😂

I had season tickets for Michael's first three years in ChiTown prior to coming back to the Burgh and those teams absolutely sucked, lol. If you put Bird or Magic on any of the teams that I watched, they wouldn't have made much of a difference, if any at all. They had pedestrian Players that would either have not made a Championship Team's roster or they'd be at the end of the bench, seats 9-12, lol. 

Michael's first Championship in '91, ChiTown took out a Pistons team that was one year removed from a title. You don't go from winning a NBA Title in FIVE games(4-1, Trailblazers) the prior year, along with a 50-32 regular season record that season,  as the Pistons had done, to "too old" in one year😂😂

I'll grant ya that he might not have had 6 in Larry & Magic's hay days of the 80's, though I do believe that he'd have had 1-2, as those Bulls teams were loaded. 

Michael definitely had a different personality and a different locker room & on court presence, however his teammates were also different personalities from Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics, lol. It's easy to sit back, especially from an arm chair or bar stool, and with 20/20 visions and the comments of former teammates AFTER THE FACT, however when he was under the gun, Michael did what had to be done to motivate, cajole or drag his teammates across the finish line. Though I Played football and not basketball, I'd share a locker room and huddle with a guy like Jordan any day all day 7/365. If you show up ready to Play and leave it on the field, court or course, ya got no problems

As always, just my .03 worth😊

Stay Well SM👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

27 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

These kind of discussions go nowhere because to flat out state that "If Jordan started in the same year as Magic and Bird, he would not have won any Championships" is ludicrous because if Jordan had the teams that he had for Threepeat I & Threepeat II, he would have given Bird's Celts & Magic's Showtime crew all that they could handle.

Most likely not, however to state unequivocally that Michael & the Boys wouldn't have walked away without at least one title is a tad myopic, or the opinion of a Celts' or Lakers' fan😂😂

I had season tickets for Michael's first three years in ChiTown prior to coming back to the Burgh and those teams absolutely sucked, lol. If you put Bird or Magic on any of the teams that I watched, they wouldn't have made much of a difference, if any at all. They had pedestrian Players that would either have not made a Championship Team's roster or they'd be at the end of the bench, seat 9-12, lol. 

Michael's first Championship in '91, ChiTown took out a Pistons team that was one year removed from a title. You don't go from winning a NBA Title in FIVE games(4-1, Trailblazers) the prior year, along with a 50-32 regular season record that season,  as the Pistons had done, to "too old" in one year😂😂

I'll grant ya that he might not have had 6 in Larry & Magic's hay days of the 80's, though I do believe that he'd have had 1-2, as those Bulls teams were loaded. 

Michael definitely had a different personality and a different locker room & on court presence, however his teammates were also different personalities from Magic's Lakers and Bird's Celtics, lol. It's easy to sit back, especially from an arm chair or bar stool, and with 20/20 visions and the comments of former teammates AFTER THE FACT, however when he was under the gun, Michael did what had to be done to motivate, cajole or drag his teammates across the finish line. Though I Played football and not basketball, I'd share a locker room and huddle with a guy like Jordan any day all day 7/365. If you show up ready to Play and leave it on the field, court or course, ya got no problems

Stay Well SM👊
RP

Richarrrrrrd!!

Hows it going?

Magic himself has said he thinks his team would beat Jordan’s Bulls. But of course he’d say that. But I imagine the overall matchup would have been close and even Magic says that,

MJ would have scored 50 points against his team.

Way back, me and a buddy drove to Chicago from Western PA where we were visiting his grandma. Was pretty cool. His grandma lived in this town and it was exactly like the TV show Roseanne! 

Then we dove up through Ohio like 100 mph lol. Ohio was totally flat.

Get to Chicago and go out on the town. This was early 90s and the Bulls and Jordan were rockstars. My buddy knows a guy and he takes us to the place called the Cotton Club.

Huge place, from what I recall (and it’s definitely a bit hazy lol) it had a two parts. A jazz club part and a dance club part.

We are in the dance club part and it’s a wild scene, music thumping, lights strobing, and I look down the bar and its

Michael freakin’ Jordan!! Dressed all dope and hanging out with the team!!

He literally looked like a King in his castle ; )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Richarrrrrrd!!

Hows it going?

Magic himself has said he thinks his team would beat Jordan’s Bulls. But of course he’d say that. But I imagine the overall matchup would have been close and even Magic says that,

MJ would have scored 50 points against his team.

Way back, me and a buddy drove to Chicago from Western PA where we were visiting his grandma. Was pretty cool. His grandma lived in this town and it was exactly like the TV show Roseanne! 

Then we dove up through Ohio like 100mph. Ohio was flat.

Get to Chicago and go out on the town. This was early 90s and the Bulls and Jordanqqw were rockstars. My buddy knows a guy and he takes us to the place called the Cotton Club.

Huge place, from what I recall (and it’s definitely a bit hazy lol) it had a two parts. A jazz club part and a dance club part.

We have are in the dance club part and it’s a wild scene, music thumping, lights strobing, and I look down the bar and its

Michael freakin’ Jordan!! Dressed all dope and hanging out with the team!!

He literally looked like a King in his castle ; )

Hahaha, Bro, small world!! 

The Cotton Club opened my second year in ChiTown and was the hottest place in town for over a decade as the Bears & Bulls Players hung out there. A good friend, Dan Rains, a Bears back-up LB who showed me around his college(Cincinnati) back when I took my college recruiting visit, then I competed against him one season in college, we remained close and we lived together in ChiTown for two years. We used to run around together and we'd drop in late night at the CC, and a bunch of Bears, including Otis Wilson, the All-Pro LB in front of Dan who took him under his wing as a protege, had their own area. Otis & the Bears had the same rock star status coming off of that Super Bowl as Michael would have and I loved it cuz we could getta good buzz on and never open our wallets cept to tip and we didn't have to wait in the 1+ block long lines😂😂.

As ya said, they had a disco/dance area, jazz along with R&B area and then they had an open mic🎤 night on Wednesdays. Both R. Kelly and Bernie Mac got their starts at the Cotton Club. Unfortunately, though it was hot as hades through the 1980's and 90's, with the residential creep on Michigan Avenue, and the changing demographics, it closed in the mid 2000's.

Damn Bro, you brought back some great memories, well, at least the ones that I can remember😂😂🤙

Regarding Magic, Michael & Larry, well, you're talking about probably 3 of the 5 most competitive Players ever to take the court and I wouldn't expect one to concede even one game in a seven game series, much less concede that he could not beat the other in a series for all the marbles, lolol.

It's safe to say that the best team of all of those title teams for each team would be 3 of the 5-6 greatest teams ever to Play in the NBA. We can leave it at that😉

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

I had season tickets for Michael's first three years in ChiTown prior to coming back to the Burgh and those teams absolutely sucked, lol. If you put Bird or Magic on any of the teams that I watched, they wouldn't have made much of a difference, if any at all. They had pedestrian Players that would either have not made a Championship Team's roster or they'd be at the end of the bench, seats 9-12, lol. 

Stay Well SM👊
RP

Guilty as charged, Your Honor.  Long time (ever since Kareem joined the team) Lakers fan.  🙂

A few things...

The Pistons had beaten the Bulls in the playoffs 3 years in a row before the Bulls finally managed to break thru.  The Pistons made it to the finals each of those years, winning twice.  It's difficult to maintain the team chemistry and passion past three straight years.  So, yes, a team can get old in a year...mentally old, if nothing else.

One of the biggest keys to Jordan's two three-peats is that the Bulls really didn't have an 80's-Celtics-Lakers caliber team that they were playing against in the finals.  The Celtics or the Lakers might have won 7 or 8 titles in a row in the 80's if the other team wasn't as good.

So put Jordan and his best Bulls team up against the 80's Celtics or Lakers, and they would be the third best team.  I mean, Rambis would have clotheslined Rodman in Game 1 and taken him out of the series.  😂  Jordan would have driven the lane and McHale would have taken him out with an elbow to the head.  Michael Cooper would not have let Jordan push him out of the way to get the space to put up a game-winning jumper.  By the time Jordan started winning championships, the league had become a lot less physical.  

Sure, they might have gotten lucky and won a title or two, but they still would have been the third best team.

In the end, with the game on the line, I'd take a Kareem sky hook over a Jordan pull-up jumper 100 times out of 100.

And nothing in my mind will ever top Magic, AS A 20 YEAR OLD ROOKIE, starting Game 6 of the finals at center (Kareem was injured) and eventually playing all five positions, while scoring 42 with 15 rebounds and 7 assists, and leading the team to the championship.  Probably the single greatest playoff game performance ever.  Oh, and did I mention that he was a 20 YEAR OLD ROOKIE?  🙂

But other than that, yeah sure, I guess MJ was ok.  lol

Scottie Newport M2

1 hour ago, ShowMe said:

Guilty as charged, Your Honor.  Long time (ever since Kareem joined the team) Lakers fan.  🙂

A few things...

The Pistons had beaten the Bulls in the playoffs 3 years in a row before the Bulls finally managed to break thru.  The Pistons made it to the finals each of those years, winning twice.  It's difficult to maintain the team chemistry and passion past three straight years.  So, yes, a team can get old in a year...mentally old, if nothing else.

One of the biggest keys to Jordan's two three-peats is that the Bulls really didn't have an 80's-Celtics-Lakers caliber team that they were playing against in the finals.  The Celtics or the Lakers might have won 7 or 8 titles in a row in the 80's if the other team wasn't as good.

So put Jordan and his best Bulls team up against the 80's Celtics or Lakers, and they would be the third best team.  I mean, Rambis would have clotheslined Rodman in Game 1 and taken him out of the series.  😂  Jordan would have driven the lane and McHale would have taken him out with an elbow to the head.  Michael Cooper would not have let Jordan push him out of the way to get the space to put up a game-winning jumper.  By the time Jordan started winning championships, the league had become a lot less physical.  

Sure, they might have gotten lucky and won a title or two, but they still would have been the third best team.

In the end, with the game on the line, I'd take a Kareem sky hook over a Jordan pull-up jumper 100 times out of 100.

And nothing in my mind will ever top Magic, AS A 20 YEAR OLD ROOKIE, starting Game 6 of the finals at center (Kareem was injured) and eventually playing all five positions, while scoring 42 with 15 rebounds and 7 assists, and leading the team to the championship.  Probably the single greatest playoff game performance ever.  Oh, and did I mention that he was a 20 YEAR OLD ROOKIE?  🙂

But other than that, yeah sure, I guess MJ was ok.  lol

Ok😂😂😂🤙

Cheers🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever

12 minutes ago, Gsea said:

imagen_principal_crop1586099177664.jpg_242310155.jpg

Setting MJ up for the mini sky hook.

Scottie Newport M2

On 9/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Tpfol said:

3) Cantlay & Koepka

4) Schauffele & Finau

Good job! You had 7 picks correct including two teams. And this was before we knew about the Cantlay and Schauff friendship. It going to be interesting to see if all 12 play on day 1. Which would mean 4 play twice and the others (English, Finau, Bryson, and Scheffler) get in the contest. Perhaps it is already decided or depends on results? There are good match ups. Should be entertaining.

• Like 2

Fit at Totally Driven:
Newport 2.5

59 minutes ago, mark m said:

Good job! You had 7 picks correct including two teams. And this was before we knew about the Cantlay and Schauff friendship. It going to be interesting to see if all 12 play on day 1. Which would mean 4 play twice and the others (English, Finau, Bryson, and Scheffler) get in the contest. Perhaps it is already decided or depends on results? There are good match ups. Should be entertaining.

Man I cant wait for this to start. Love the Ryder cup. Berger a little bit of a surprise but he wasnt a captain's pick for nothing

6 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

Man I cant wait for this to start. Love the Ryder cup. Berger a little bit of a surprise but he wasnt a captain's pick for nothing

Yes on Berger. But he does have Presidents Cup experience with Brooks. I feel the same with Poulter. He is 4-4-1 in Foursomes and 5-2-0 in Fourball. But it could be they didn’t want to start Lowry in Foursomes. We’ll see if he goes with Rory in the afternoon Fourball. Also, Fleetwood not playing after going 4-0 in team formats in France. His game must not be as good? (I don’t really follow him closely.)

Edited by mark m

Fit at Totally Driven:
Newport 2.5

On 9/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, BNGL said:

Most accurate thing you’ve ever posted.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TS2, 9.5, Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd, Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

7 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Very predictable RC. Sometimes I wonder if people have even paid attention to the last 3 on US soil. The changing of the guard with new youth puts US in a good spot for a few years.

For more than a few years I suppose. Golf, sadly, aint exactly high on young Euro guys prio lists nowadays seemingly. Few young stars emerge these days. 

11 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Very predictable RC. Sometimes I wonder if people have even paid attention to the last 3 on US soil. The changing of the guard with new youth puts US in a good spot for a few years.

Was just thinking that, the amount of matches that went to how I expected this year have been more than previous years.

Rahm/Garcia - strong pairing, they'll probably win - win all their matches.

Morikawa/DJ - strong pairing, they'll probably win - win all their matches

Poulter/Rory - not a good pairing, they'll probably lose - lose all their matches etc.

In almost every match in four sessions I felt the result was somewhat predictable at the beginning.

On 9/13/2021 at 3:25 PM, Forged4ever said:

From our exchanges on the board, I can tell that thoughts are similar to mine in a lot of areas and while I didn't want to come out and say it, I figured that you would donate it to a worthy program. The First Tee locally is similar as Maddie & I used to do a lot of work with em however we didn't like the direction that they were taking the local program as it greatly favored the country club kids, so we dropped away. The AJGA program is great here as is the LPGA-USGA Girls Golf program.

Anyhoo, sounds good👊

My Best,

RP

@Forged4ever

You seemed pretty quiet during the RC 😉

Not as quiet as pepper.

Maybe you don't like boat races?  Come on, you have to admit there was plenty of killer instinct to spare and some great clutch putting.

Cheer!

• Like 1