Thoughts On Getting Paired Up With Randoms?

1 hour ago, akronswitness said:

I enjoy the company of others just fine....just not every single time I go golfing. I understand the course wants to fill as many time slots as possible but there are many other courses that get around this problem just fine by simply having more available tee times. 

This is brilliant ... just create more daylight and voila, you have more tee times!

Why hasn't anybody thought of this before!

I worry about the the future of the world. A LOT.

• Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I played Pebble as a solo, bucket list day. Right before my 9am round the pro shop asks if I mind teeing off at 2pm instead because some bank had booked a bunch of places for clients, including the other 3 in my group, and the bank didn’t want me in “their” tee time.  I declined (couldn’t play later) and it was a crappy way to start.  The 3 in my group ended up being fantastic people (two good golfers and one girl who had never swung a club!!!), and it was one of my best days ever on a golf course.    I still wish the pro shop hadn’t put me in that position though. 

• Like 3

When I play, I don’t typically play anywhere extremely nice, and I’ve only gone out and played once by myself in the past 15 years. 

What I usually do, which it sounds like you probably can’t, is if we have 3, I’ll book the tee time for 4 players and try like hell to get a 4th. If I can’t find one, I just let them know at the shop. Disclaimer: there aren’t any places around here that have ever pitched a fit. 

I will say I played as a solo during our beach vacation this year and prayed to the golfing gods that I wouldn’t get paired with a disaster group. 

Ended up lucky with a delightful pairing. Rode with a redneck from the Smokey mountains and we played with some rich dude and his stepson. They both shot about 120 but played faster than I did. 

To your point: we can’t really say anything to the course. The tee times hold four slots. If we’ve only got 2 or 3 players, they’ve got every right to pair up despite how much we may not like it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimbo123 said:

I played Pebble as a solo, bucket list day. Right before my 9am round the pro shop asks if I mind teeing off at 2pm instead because some bank had booked a bunch of places for clients, including the other 3 in my group, and the bank didn’t want me in “their” tee time.  I declined (couldn’t play later) and it was a crappy way to start.  The 3 in my group ended up being fantastic people (two good golfers and one girl who had never swung a club!!!), and it was one of my best days ever on a golf course.    I still wish the pro shop hadn’t put me in that position though. 

That is just horrific customer service ... especially for what I'm guessing you paid for the green fees.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

You realize that no course has more "available" tee times by choice, right?

There are courses I play that offer more tee times than others at the sacrifice of a bit slower play...they offer tee times in something like 5 min intervals. Other courses I have played that force 4 somes together offer tee times in 10 min intervals.

So yes, Course 1 can quite literally offer double the amount of available tee times in a given day as Course 2 can by shortening the length in between each scheduled tee time. I often choose to play at one particular course by my house that does the 5 min intervals because I know they dont force groups together. Pace can sometimes get slow, but typically groups let other smaller groups play through so its rarely ever a problem. 

I played solo there in April and every group of 3 or 4 I ran into let me go right through. It was a 3hr. round of golf by myself in a cart. Amazing.

• Haha 2

I play as a single often and I rarely share my life story.  I’m there to play golf not make 3 new friends and figure out the life details of someone I’m never going to see again. 

I do have a friend that’s like you and freaks out every time we get a random in our group.  Which is stupid.  If you really want to assure yourself you play with your group only, pay for the 4th spot.  Course won’t care either way. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

13 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

There isn't a course on the planet that does 5 minute intervals.

Thats not true, Ive been to many courses that do. Especially on weekends because they are trying to get as many people out to play as possible. Why have 100 golfers in 10min intervals when all the course has to do is change it to 5min and get 200 golfers. Ive actually been to a course that is known for double booking tee times in anticipation one wont show up. Really nice course and really popular to play so they jam as many available tee times in the day as humanly possible.

They dont care if you had a terrible slow day on the course, they just made 20k in one Saturday afternoon. 

Edited by akronswitness

6 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

There are probably 2-3 groups on the first hole waiting to tee off, but once everybody hits and gets going its rarely ever an issue.

There's not a course on earth sending groups out with 5 minute gaps ... there aren't 12 groups an hour ... not happening. 

On a slow day ... sure, you can get off by yourself, or a threesome, or whatever you want. On a busy day with a full tee sheet, you're going out as a 4. Don't like it? Pay for a 4 or don't play.

• Thanks 1

I have friends who do not like to play with people they don’t  know. Their golf day is as much ritual as sport. They are a group of 4 and solved this problem by making a list of alternate golfers and NEVER play without a 4 some. If they can’t find a 4 they don’t play.

Fool proof solution. Just need a stable of 7 or 8 golfing buds. The trick is to find some that have flexible schedules 

A buddy of mine sent me a pic the other day from Raleigh and he was playing at his local beater course and they don’t even have tee times….1st come/1st serve….he sent a pic and it blew my mind. Looked like planes on a tarmac waiting to take off. I’d rather play with some randoms every single time at a different course than get in that mess. 

1 minute ago, tatertot said:

Not only do you not know how the golf industry works ... you don't know how the time and space continuum works. 

Do you by any chance work for the United States Government?

I really dont know what to tell you. Ive stood on a teebox at this course with another 4 some waiting to tee off, asked what their tee time was and it was the exact same as mine was. That has happened to me on several occasions, not just one. The course has 6 groups on the first tee waiting to tee off but again, they dont care--they have your money.

At another course near me I go to, I stood in line to pay and get the cart keys. The kids in front of me said "Hi my name is Johnny and I have a 1:23 tee time" meanwhile Im standing right behind them going 'my tee time is also 1:23'

Im sure there are mandates for courses they they have to follow but Im here to tell you with 100% certainty, they dont care. They want your money.

1 minute ago, akronswitness said:

I really dont know what to tell you. Ive stood on a teebox at this course with another 4 some waiting to tee off, asked what their tee time was and it was the exact same as mine was. That has happened to me on several occasions, not just one. The course has 6 groups on the first tee waiting to tee off but again, they dont care--they have your money.

At another course near me I go to, I stood in line to pay and get the cart keys. The kids in front of me said "Hi my name is Johnny and I have a 1:23 tee time" meanwhile Im standing right behind them going 'my tee time is also 1:23'

Im sure there are mandates for courses they they have to follow but Im here to tell you with 100% certainty, they dont care. They want your money.

Gee Wally ... did you ask the Starter, or the guy behind the desk, or the yahoo that gave you the keys to the cart? Because if they double booked me for a tee time at 5 minute interval, they wouldn't have my money long. I don't think somebody is giving you the whole story, or they might be taking advantage of you.

I would definitely say I agree seems living in a bigger city it’s almost a given you’ll be paired with randoms. If they let you know beforehand hey if you’re not playing with a foursome we will trying to fill your group that’s one thing but that’s never happen they just typically do it. Ruins the vibe for sure. 

TM M3 440 10 | Ventus Red TR 6X

TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Ventus Red 6X or TM SLDR S 14 | Ventus Black 6X

TM M2 5HL| Ventus TR Red 8X 

Titleist TS2 5 Hybrid | Ventus Blue 9X 

Callaway Paradym 4 iron & Titleist T200 irons 6-PW | Project X 6.5

Artisan 52, 60 

Goodwood G7

Got to love todays level of entitlement -He paid $125 for ONE tee time, and he thinks he should get to decide how the other three times are used. LMAO! You want to control the use of all 4 tee times then pay $500.

I have a friend who hates it when he and his wife have to share the third seat on a flight with a stranger. They buy the middle seat - problem solved. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, DCSerafin said:

Apples and oranges.  A tee time right or wrong is a foursome for every daily fee course. If you want to play as a twosome, threesome or single,  pay the entire foursome rate.

I understand that, my whole point to this being that I've noticed it becoming more 'mandatory' this year at every course I go to than it ever was in the past

Not too many courses I've been to mandate it, they let you play with whatever amount you booked the tee time for. This year though is different and my whole purpose for making this thread was to Guage how many people would prefer to not play with randoms if it was a choice.

Then I guess it turned into something else and it was such a hot button topic lol

Edited by akronswitness

It’s happening more often because of COVID, dillweed.  Two years ago, I would play on a Sunday in September with the NFL game on my radio and cruise around in 3 hours walking Last year… and so far this year, not so much, 4-4.5 hours.   There’s simply more people playing, thus less tee times available and certainly no singles or twosomes during prime tee time slots. But thinking a course is going to send you out as a twosome so you can catch up with your buddy is being pretty self aborted, IMHO. Just because your paired up with another player (or 2) doesn’t mean you have to break bread with them. Most people are self aware and can figure out the dynamic pretty quickly.

Golfing with random strangers is always awkward at first, especially if you are not used to it.  I've learned over the years to appreciate it as it makes you a better golfer.  Playing by yourself or with your friends gives you a certain comfort zone, add 1 random stranger and it can affect your game for sure if you let it.  Some of my most memorable rounds were with complete strangers when I shared a good or even horrible shot we can all laugh at together.  

• Like 1

In the case of booking for 3, getting paired up with a single and having your 4th 
added later to the 3some behind you, any reasonable starter would swap the 
singles.   I have had plenty of starters bump me up or back a group, because 
they felt it would be better for me and those I was paired with.  

If the course is busy to full, playing alone or as a 2some will mean that you 
wait around all day and can't kill time putting/chipping, because the group 
right behind you is ready to hit.  

It's fun to play alone sometimes, but it doesn't usually happen when we 
want it.    Some courses allow a single booked into a empty tee time, but
you can usually find others paired with you later.