2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Thoughts On Getting Paired Up With Randoms?

10 hours ago, Scrubby said:

I've played with plenty of randoms with no issues but something new happened to me over the past few months that I thought would never happen ..... being forced to share a golf cart with a random player. Is that where maybe you the draw line?

Case #1: Booked and paid a Golf Now 18 holes with a cart, get there only to be informed that there is an extra $15 fee to have your own cart. I was a little shocked but all 4 of us had fun playing and my golf cart random was a good player, no issues.

Case #2: Another Golf Now tee time, paired with a random and only a twosome for that tee time. Clubhouse forces me to be in a cart with him. The random even incredulously asks the clubhouse why I can't have my own cart since there are plenty sitting there waiting to be used. The guy turns out to super cool, threw me a couple beers, played some decent golf and had fun. No issues.

I know the goal of the golf course is to maximize profit, but pairing randoms with other randoms in the same cart when there are plenty of carts available might be a little ridiculous lol.

i played a round on vacation last month where i was a single thrown into an existing threesome (giggity)

there was an old married couple and their nephew who was brand new to golf. 

the starter was pretty sharp and let me take my own cart out because he saw a really wide spectrum of skill levels and 4 separate tee boxes - aka a nightmare foursome when it comes to pace of play

somewhere on the back 9, with our cart monitors showing we were only 4 minutes off pace, a ranger comes up and starts giving us a hard time for having 3 carts. 

we tried explaining to him that if we were stuck in 2 carts, we’d be easily 20 minutes behind instead of 4. he kept at it, and eventually i offered to abandon my cart - but asked him how he planned on getting it back to the clubhouse. 

he eventually gave up the ghost and let us on our way. of course now we were 9 minutes off pace. 

that’s a long story just to say that i’m not a fan of having to share a cart with a random, and sometimes you find a starter who’s on the ball and bends the rules in your favor. 

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

In regards to the original question, I don't really care either way but I'm in a weird situation in regards to golf buddies. I have 1 friend who really likes it, but is very new and wants to not be a total hack when he plays. Other than that, I have my brother but finances/location hold us back. Then the person that is my main playing partner is my dad and we usually play the last tee time or even after that so we're by ourselves.

I oftentimes play as a single, and oftentimes I get paired up, but I've also played solo a lot. I haven't had any bad playing partners yet, and most of them it's been relatively quiet (some talking but not much.) Thinking about it, I prefer to play with others, be it strangers or family/friends, but I can easily golf alone.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

1 hour ago, Roejye said:

I oftentimes play as a single, and oftentimes I get paired up, but I've also played solo a lot. I haven't had any bad playing partners yet, and most of them it's been relatively quiet (some talking but not much.) Thinking about it, I prefer to play with others, be it strangers or family/friends, but I can easily golf alone.

Yep.  Ditto.  I asked to be dropped into groups so as not to goof things up with a solo run.  I think it also makes one a better player because it introduces at least some level of pressure.  Its good to be social and one can get clients and new regular playing partners that way. 

Overall great experiences, with only a couple of notable bad ones.  One was a garden variety loud dude whose mouth wrote checks his swing couldn't cash and there was always some reason as to why a particular shot was not good, besides just not being very good in general.  No problem as I can deal with those guys pretty easily -- they tend to get more quiet when they are being outplayed. 

The other about a month ago was a loud dude, brought speaker for the cart, rode with me not by my choice, drank the whole time, drives 300+ every timeTM (except for not doing that on any hole), and blazed up 6 times in 9 holes (stated reason: pain management).  Kept it and pipe in plain sight (side note: not legal here).  It was hot/humid and there is not a lot worse than loud sweaty huge dude who strongly smells of reefer, which stinks in its own right, sitting right next to you.  That was pretty much my limit.  I started walking a few holes in -- I just said that I needed at least a little bit of exercise.  He was a nice dude in general.  The reefer stank is what got to me ultimately.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, akronswitness said:

The original question was: If it was a option would you prefer to get matched up with randoms or play with just your group.

The reality is, on a public golf course, in 2021, in any reasonably populated area, this will never be an option (certainly not playing as a single or twosome) so the original question is a complete waste of time. 

You also made a post saying sometimes you need to go out with a buddy and have a long private chat or play by yourself to clear your head for 4.5 hours. As much as you might want it to be the case, a public golf course is not the place to reasonably expect to be able do either of these things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/21/2021 at 11:31 AM, akronswitness said:

That would be because surprisingly enough, not a single one of the extremely intelligent posters that decided to comment actually answered the original question. Ive mentioned the original question about 4x now and still very few have answered it. They decided to go on rants against me against my original post. I even stated in the first line of my OP that I was about to go on a rant, and im sure your smart enough to figure out the difference between a well rounded post and a emotionally driven rant is--but then again who knows at this point.

The original question was: If it was a option would you prefer to get matched up with randoms or play with just your group. And then I stated my ranting reasons for wanting a option to just play with my own group. Not overly difficult until a bunch of people tried to take me to church over business and economics of a golf course and essentially complain about the details of my OP without ever getting around to answering the dam question. So I apologize for the desire to defend myself a bit over a rant post.

My points still remain. You all put way too much stock into giving sympathy for the financial earnings of a golf course who earn a lot more money that you think they do. I had to pay a $50 rider fee for my wife for crying out loud in Florida just so she could sit next to me in the cart and twiddle her fingers for 4 hours--and there was STILL 3 other guys in our group. Thats free money for the course for zero reason. Im not over here crying about the financial support of golf courses who have raked me over the coals enough in my life like some of you others are. These courses also have a lot more flexibility that you think they do. Not every single tee time is filled every single day. I understand if the course is jam packed and the clubhouse tells you sorry but we are swamped so we have to pair you up, but more times than not this year the course isnt overly crowded and they could have let us off individually with no hindrance to any other golfers.

My whole OP was about this year more than previous, courses Ive been to (your typical midwest neighborhood course) have been pairing people up when they never used to because in the 4 months Ive been paired up more times than I have been in the past 5 years at our local public courses. Again, my original question was 1) What is your feelings on getting paired with randoms and 2) Would you prefer to play with just your group if it was a option. 

Okay, I'll bite...I go out as a less than foursome...I expect to have the time filled out and don't care one way or the other. If you expect that it will happen, easy peasy...whatever the result get off your high horse, get over your entitlement. It's kind of like match play on the green. If you expect to have to make every putt in the match, you won't be upset when the guy doesn't say anything about your ball let on the edge.

Two interesting stories (at least to me):

Played a course in nothern Wisconsin last year as a single. It was somewhat busy, and the audacity, they didn't tell me! In the first 11 holes I played through 7 or 8 groups, no kidding. Met up with a guy playing single and we both looked at the other...pair up? Sure. A very nice 8 holes together.

Played Mauna Kea the week after the ICBM scare in January 2018 (that was an interesting experience, to say the least). Got paired with a Japanese (?) married couple. After the second hole, of which there was NO communication, they motioned to me to go ahead, quite insistently, they didn't want me to play with them. Not sure where they thought I was going to go, except to effectively slow down everyone behind them, but I did. Played the last 9 holes with a great older set father and son.

Edited by Loki

Interestingly when we played Royal Troon as a twosome, I asked ahead of time and they said the time was our time and no pairing up. Well, some hack named Rusty Wallace was late driving to the course early the morning we played  (lol, yep … couldn’t get his car there on time) so two twosomes, we were one, had to wait for him to show up. The starter was very polite about telling us we wouldn’t mind getting paired up with the other twosome to keep things in order, lol. They were nice guys. And everyone at Royal Troon was nice - first class place!

OP - you are at the mercy of the course’s policies. You know that. 

• Like 1

Can't post a solo round for handicapping purposes. I always try to pair so I can at least post but depends on time of day. My club allows anyone to join your time which is a good policy. Our season is only 6 months so no time for an inefficient tee sheet.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

There's a course across town from me that's fallen on hard times in recent years. It was never a real nice course anyway but nowadays they are barely able to mow the grass and keep the lights on in the clubhouse. 

The last time I played there (and believe me it will be the LAST time) was on a weekday afternoon and there were maybe a dozen people on the course. All singles except for I saw one twosome in separate carts playing together.

That course would suit the OP's purposes just fine because not only did everyone get their own "tee time" (just kidding, there weren't any tee times) but everybody was doing their own thing. A guy standing in the middle of a fairway hitting a pile of range balls toward the green. Several guys zipping around at high speed in carts playing holes in random order. One guy was just parked by a green drinking beer and looked like he'd been at it a while. The twosome in separate carts were playing speed golf, barely getting out of the carts long enough to whack their shot then back in the cart and moving. And there was me plodding along doing my best to actually play holes 1-18, playing it down, putting it out.

I'm sure you could spend all day in a threesome playing multiple balls and having long heart-felt conversations in private without anybody there saying a word to you. The occasional weirdo zipping past you in a cart during your swing might be a minor distraction. Best part of all, it only cost 20 bucks cart included. 

P.S. Oh, and forgot to mention. One of the Par 4's on a hill, erosion had washed away the fairway. So they put a tee marker in the rough about 60-70 yards short of the green and called it a Par 3.  

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, akronswitness said:

Small venting session...I was looking to get feedback on getting paired up with random players at the course. Ive golfed a lot more this year and have been playing some very nice courses. The one thing Ive noticed is by going to nicer courses, nearly all of them have the 'everybody plays in a foursome' ruling. Typically, Ive had good luck and have played with some really cool people, however its happened so much recently that Ive started to dislike it for a bunch of different reasons.

We went out yesterday and booked a tee time for 3 golfers. We had a third person join late so we booked the tee time available directly after the original. I think it was 2 of us at 1:00pm and my other buddy was booked as a single at 1:08. We asked the clubhouse if we could just combine/consolidate our two tee times since they are right next to eachother and play as a threesome. They gave us hell for doing that. I thought she was honestly joking when she said no. This was almost like the straw that broke the camels back with me.

Here are my newly developed thoughts on courses that mandate foursomes:

1) I want to get out and golf with my friends. I dont want to have to have smalltalk with a stranger for 4 hours. Im out there to have fun and enjoy talking, playing and catching up with friends/family. Sometimes private conversations are made on the course and its extremely awkward or difficult to do if your playing with randoms.

2) I found this one out a few months ago. Im on vacation with my wife. Im paying $125+ to golf this course. I just want to have some private/fun time with her on the course and again, I dont want to entertain strangers and tell them my life story about who I am, where Im from, what I do for a living, ect when Im on vacation.

3) Sometimes I golf to have a practice round and work out the kinks in my swing. Its hard to just have a practice round when you have to keep pace with the other people in your group and not slow them down. Theres some sort of weird pressure playing with randoms that you have to play well, making practice/hitting bad shots for the sake of science extremely hard.

I understand that nicer courses do this to keep pace of play. I get it. However, I feel like there should be a option to decline playing with random players for the sake of filling out a group of 4. Especially at the cost some of these courses Ive played are. Sometimes I just want to tell them 'Im paying you to golf this course, for $125+ I should be able to play however I want. Your not paying me to golf here, Im paying you". If I want to golf with just me and a friend, I should be able to have that option. Especially at some of the stuffier courses in Florida I was at, the staff made it seem like they were doing me a favor by letting me being there and golf their course. As if the cost I payed to be there meant nothing.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one? 

You always have the option to pay for the other spots. 

15 minutes ago, cassel191919 said:

You always have the option to pay for the other spots. 

I agree that is his best option but I'm not sure about "always". Courses can sometimes make very unreasonable policies for their own inscrutable reasons and I'm sure there's some course somewhere that would refused to let three people pay for four spots and play without another golfer. 

Years ago when I was playing at public courses, a struggling local private course decided to go semi-private. So you could play there at a pretty steep green fee or you could get a very reasonably priced monthly dues. I took them up on the monthly dues offer and switched to playing all of my 2-3x a week rounds there. No extra charge for walking but it was $15 if you wanted a cart. 

After a couple months I get a letter in the mail. No more walking, you must take a cart. I went to see the general manager and made what I thought was a reasonable offer. I would gladly pay the $15/round for the cart but I would still walk as I just don't like riding when I play.

His answer almost made me laugh except he was dead serious. He said if they let me walk, other people would see me walking and want to do the same but they wouldn't want to pay the 15 bucks. So he'd rather me quit playing there than have to handle complaints about me walking. So I left. Pity.

P.S. The course I'm talking about did manage to survive without my business. For about five more years. It has now been plowed under and replaced with a housing development. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if OP got a similar answer from some course or another if he offered to pay for all four tee times but then play in a threesome. They'd say something like, "People would see you playing as a threesome and complain that they couldn't do the same without paying". Golf course owners are not always rational businessmen.

Edited by North Butte

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

I agree that is his best option but I'm not sure about "always". Courses can sometimes make very unreasonable policies for their own inscrutable reasons and I'm sure there's some course somewhere that would refused to let three people pay for four spots and play without another golfer. 

Years ago when I was playing at public courses, a struggling local private course decided to go semi-private. So you could play there at a pretty steep green fee or you could get a very reasonably priced monthly dues. I took them up on the monthly dues offer and switched to playing all of my 2-3x a week rounds there. No extra charge for walking but it was $15 if you wanted a cart. 

After a couple months I get a letter in the mail. No more walking, you must take a cart. I went to see the general manager and made what I thought was a reasonable offer. I would gladly pay the $15/round for the cart but I would still walk as I just don't like riding when I play.

His answer almost made me laugh except he was dead serious. He said if they let me walk, other people would see me walking and want to do the same but they wouldn't want to pay the 15 bucks. So he'd rather me quit playing there than have to handle complaints about me walking. So I left. Pity.

P.S. The course I'm talking about did manage to survive without my business. For about five more years. It has now been plowed under and replaced with a housing development. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if OP got a similar answer from some course or another if he offered to pay for all four tee times but then play in a threesome. They'd say something like, "People would see you playing as a threesome and complain that they couldn't do the same without paying". Golf course owners are not always rational businessmen.

That's half my gripe, the vast majority of courses are morons. There has been a very very small amount of times where a course that I've paid decent money to go to has went anything close to out of their way to accommodate their customers. Even if it is something as stupid as them putting another hotdog on the grill for me at the turn.

They all operate with a "this is how we do it, like it or not, suck it" 

I can keep going with horrible stories too. Mind you, I'm a weekend warrior so I only probably golf 20-25x per year so when I have a bad experience it sticks out more than a guy who plays 3x per week.

I paid $135 for a course in FLA on vacation. Paid $50 rider fee for my wife for absolutely zero reason since they filled out the group with 3 others. We got some overpriced food/drink and the whole day came out to be over $200. It started pouring down rain 6-7 holes through (and I was only 2 over ha!). We got back to the clubhouse and I asked the guy simply "hey man, this rain isn't going to stop, we are not from here, is there anyway I can get a refund for the back 9 even though I only played 6 holes since I will be unable to use a raincheck considering I live 10 states away"

He laughed at me and my wife and said sorry but "absolutely not"

Now, I understand they already have my money. I understand that if I can't make a raincheck then tough sh*t. BUT this was a prime example of one of those times I'm talking about where a course could have done something nice for a customer and maybe made a tiny exception and refund me 9 holes to keep a customer satisfied. Instead I got laughed at for even asking in front of my wife.

So at the end of the day, we drove back to our place 35min mad as hell the entire way that we just dropped $200+ dollars for 6 holes of golf and still a waste of our entire morning.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:31 PM, akronswitness said:

1) What is your feelings on getting paired with randoms and 2) Would you prefer to play with just your group if it was a option. 

1) I harbor no resentment on getting paired because that is how any public golf course works.  I would never even think to question it.

2) I always play solo.  But, if I was with exactly 1 or 2 friends, I'd prefer to not be paired

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 8:04 AM, akronswitness said:

That's half my gripe, the vast majority of courses are morons. There has been a very very small amount of times where a course that I've paid decent money to go to has went anything close to out of their way to accommodate their customers. Even if it is something as stupid as them putting another hotdog on the grill for me at the turn.

They all operate with a "this is how we do it, like it or not, suck it" 

I can keep going with horrible stories too. Mind you, I'm a weekend warrior so I only probably golf 20-25x per year so when I have a bad experience it sticks out more than a guy who plays 3x per week.

I paid $135 for a course in FLA on vacation. Paid $50 rider fee for my wife for absolutely zero reason since they filled out the group with 3 others. We got some overpriced food/drink and the whole day came out to be over $200. It started pouring down rain 6-7 holes through (and I was only 2 over ha!). We got back to the clubhouse and I asked the guy simply "hey man, this rain isn't going to stop, we are not from here, is there anyway I can get a refund for the back 9 even though I only played 6 holes since I will be unable to use a raincheck considering I live 10 states away"

He laughed at me and my wife and said sorry but "absolutely not"

Now, I understand they already have my money. I understand that if I can't make a raincheck then tough sh*t. BUT this was a prime example of one of those times I'm talking about where a course could have done something nice for a customer and maybe made a tiny exception and refund me 9 holes to keep a customer satisfied. Instead I got laughed at for even asking in front of my wife.

So at the end of the day, we drove back to our place 35min mad as hell the entire way that we just dropped $200+ dollars for 6 holes of golf and still a waste of our entire morning.

It seems like you're always looking for courses to break policies, policies that a majority of the public courses in America have.  It seems like the only way you can be happy is if a course does things exactly how you want it.  Perhaps the game of golf isn't for you. 

Everybody in this thread is telling you that you're wrong, yet you can't see it.  Self awareness clearly isn't your strong suite.  

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 7/23/2021 at 6:04 AM, akronswitness said:

. It started pouring down rain 6-7 holes through (and I was only 2 over ha!). We got back to the clubhouse and I asked the guy simply "hey man, this rain isn't going to stop, we are not from here, is there anyway I can get a refund for the back 9 even though I only played 6 holes since I will be unable to use a raincheck considering I live 10 states away"

www.weather.com

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had good experiences when solo and paired up with others; or, with a twosome and paired up with another twosome. 

Always has been a pleasant experience no matter gender, race or age of folk I played with regardless of their skill level. 

I also play fast, so hit when ready as I am all over course but can hit a few shots to keep up with the better players. 

I also pick up at double par and proceed to next tee.  Haven't had to do so in past two years but would do so if opportunity presents itself once again currently. 

• Like 1

Epic Flash Driver 12deg Project X Even Flow 40

Epic Flash 3 wood 15deg Project X Even Flow 60

Epic Flash 5 wood 18deg Project X Even Flow 55

Epic Flash 7 wood 21deg Project X Even Flow 65

Epic Flash 5 hybrid 24 deg Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver

2019 Big Bertha OS irons 5-9 UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460|F2

Callaway Jaws Raw 48deg Project X Catalyst Wedge

Equalizer II 52deg UST Recoil 760-F2/A-Flex

Sure Out 2 56deg UST Mamiya Wedge 65

Meridian Okatie putter

I am actually disappointed when I get sent out on my own many times. Of course, there are the times where I only have 2-3 hours to play and OF COURSE that is when I get paired up with a 3some of beginning golfers but...that was me at one point. If I'm not in a hurry I like playing with others. Ideally I would always be paired with people that are at or better than my skill level who like to play quickly but that very rarely happens at the local muni.

Ultimately, and this may sound selfish or lame, playing with strangers is a chance to showcase/test your game. Not because they are going to ooooh and ahhh (no one cares what you shot) but because you have to "perform" in front of an unknown audience. Talk a lot, talk a little, it doesn't matter. I also like to quietly play against the other people (not out loud or written down on the scorecard) but I keep track in my mind. I try to handicap them through the first 3 holes and then I have a match against them. Keeps things interesting until they start giving themselves 8 foot putts for bogey (hahaha). Maybe this makes me a psycho I don't know. 

Edited by blackbdmillsaps
  • Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 1 month later...

Tried catching up on the whole thread, but..... 

Anyway, I've been that guy who paid a green fee(last minute decision to play) for the only spot available in the next 2 hours, only to get to the tee and have the starter tell me the group there doesn't want anyone joining.  To the course's credit they gave me a refund with no hassle, but still....  

The biggest thing is, you never know who you will meet.  Sure I've played with a guy who dropped a second ball in a bunker because he was wasn't happy with the first one, even though the group that was letting us play through was watching from 15 yards away, but I've also had a fellow offer to let me stay in his condo for only a cleaning fee,  got to play with a guy who has qualified for the US Am a couple of times, and just flat out met some decent people.  Getting paired up has turned out a lot better than it has ever turned out bad.

If the conversations to be had are so important, isn't that what the deck on the back of the house was made for?

On 10/7/2021 at 12:18 AM, rooski said:

I've played golf for a lot of years and I personally can't think back to a single time I've ever gotten paired up with a random and I didn't enjoy it for some reason or another.

About a week or so ago I played at a random 9 holer public course and got paired up with a line cook from a town over. He said it was his one day off a week and was on his second round of the day. 

This man had to be at least 15-20 beers deep at this point and right as I would get comfortable over a putt about to take my backstroke he'd slur out "half a ball left, half a ball left". After all of my tee shots he also kept saying "that's my lil' Bryson" and giving me knucks.

He completely threw off my game, but you know what? I loved the 9 holes we played together and still giggle thinking back on it.

You know what they say, if everywhere you goes smells like sh*t maybe it's time to check your shoes

Never heard that but it's a great line.

Agreed, though.  The risk of a poor matchup is far outweighed by the likelihood of good people, if only for 18 holes, but possibly beyond.

OP….One of the things you failed to recognize is there are usually reasons and circumstances why someone might be booking as a Solo.  This year I’ve booked a lot of solo rounds, mostly at the semi-private club I’m a member of.  I’m the guy that specifically asks the Starter to be paired up simply because golfing alone is boring and not nearly as fun as meeting and getting to know new people.  The reason I’ve booked so my solo rounds this year isn’t because I wanted too.  In May, my regular playing partner was diagnosed with Cancer and has been going thru chemo treatments and hasn’t been able to play, life happens.  The saying never judge a book by it cover truly applies to Single Bookings. All things happen for a reason.  Instead of having the self-centered perspective solo’s are going to drain your cup, perhaps a better perspective might be to embrace it and discover the reason the good lord extended you the opportunity to be a bright spot in someone else’s day or visa versa.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 4:32 PM, golfortennis said:

Tried catching up on the whole thread, but..... 

Anyway, I've been that guy who paid a green fee(last minute decision to play) for the only spot available in the next 2 hours, only to get to the tee and have the starter tell me the group there doesn't want anyone joining.  To the course's credit they gave me a refund with no hassle, but still....  

I've worked at and, or, been around golf courses all of my life and never heard of that happening. Many times I've seen singles, twosomes, threesomes on open courses tell others to play thru (because they don't want company) , but on a crowded golf course I've never heard of a course operator/starter agreeing to prohibit a single from joining a foursome.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On weekends now I almost always play in one of the first 6 or so tee times of the day, as a single paired with others who booked the same tee time. The caliber/type of randoms that are dewsweepers are entirely different from what you might encounter teeing off at 11am. They know and expect that they are going to be playing with other randoms, they never act like it's some "how dare they put people with me" surprise. Random dewsweepers are good people 99.9% of the time, usually play fast and know etiquette regardless of skill. Just about always a pleasure, and I get to meet all different folks, sometimes we get paired together again, sometimes we become friends, sometimes we never see each other again.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 3

On 10/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, Fairway14 said:

I've worked at and, or, been around golf courses all of my life and never heard of that happening. Many times I've seen singles, twosomes, threesomes on open courses tell others to play thru (because they don't want company) , but on a crowded golf course I've never heard of a course operator/starter agreeing to prohibit a single from joining a foursome.

Oh my god does this happen. This happened to me a month ago at a public state park course (probably the 4th time I have experienced it in my life). The starter, who was a very nice guy and ultimately got me out, asked a twosome (A TWOSOME) if they minded a 3rd player and pointed to me. They said they did and they really wanted to play by themselves. The starter came back to me and said "I wish less people had that attitude but I don't really like to force people together." To which I wanted to say, "but that's the job!" Instead, I just let it go because I don't want to force my way into a group that didn't want me. And I got into a great twosome 40 minutes later that I really enjoyed. So maybe that was serendipitous?

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I play the vast (vast) majority of rounds as a random single. It's the best way to get to play when you want in busy metropolitan areas. 

When I join a group, I generally know that I am a fifth wheel. I acknowledge that. I "ask" if I can play with them. When and if they say yes, I "thank them for letting me tag along."

Throughout the round, I'm interested in not only my own enjoyment - but also theirs. I do what I can to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone. 

When the round is done, I again "thank them for letting me tag along." I also say: "I hope I was able to add to your experience on the course today rather than detract from it." They look at me quizzically and shake my hand. 

It's amazing how much common courtesy and acknowledgement of other people will smooth the way in social interactions. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I've had mixed experiences. At Quintero my buddy and I got paired up with a blind golfer (he played great) and his partner. What a great couple of guys, we had a real blast. Another great experience at We-ko-pa.

Following day at TPC Scottsdale we were on the practice ground warming up next to a foreign guy and his wife, neither could consistently even make contact with the ball, they looked total beginners. When the announcer called the time, we had been paired up. Anyhow we got to the starter first and asked if there was any chance of nipping ahead as a two to save them wrecking our day and he let us. No kidding, I'd be surprised if either could have broken 200 shots around there, I'm happy to pair with most but there is a line, especially when dropping $$$ on a green fee

Right now I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum with the original poster.

Recently moved to a new city with very few "golf buddies" and I'd really like to randomly book any available tee time and play with anybody. But my fear is to feel "unwelcomed", specially if they're a group of 3 good friends that want to spend the time together. I guess I'll have to do that anyways because I can't keep going to golf at 5pm on my own... LOL

16 minutes ago, golfpramparo said:

Right now I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum with the original poster.

Recently moved to a new city with very few "golf buddies" and I'd really like to randomly book any available tee time and play with anybody. But my fear is to feel "unwelcomed", specially if they're a group of 3 good friends that want to spend the time together. I guess I'll have to do that anyways because I can't keep going to golf at 5pm on my own... LOL

Play a busy course early in the morning on the weekend, booking into a time slot where a twosome or threesome has already booked. Anyone else playing at that time who has played golf before knows they are going to probably have a 4th added to their group. Otherwise, if they are unwelcoming jerks, they either bring their own 4th or play later in the day when they don't think someone will get put with them.

Edited by Bonneville85308