US Kids ultra-light vs tour series for 9-year-old girl?

My daughter has out-grown her 45 inch US Kids ultra-light clubs. She is now 50 inches tall and will be 9 years old next month. She is a bit small for her age, and of roughly average strength, but is overall a good athlete, and competes in junior golf tournaments and generally finishes in the top 25% of the field.

We are in the market for her next set of clubs, trying to choose between US Kids 51-inch ultra-lights versus US Kids 51-inch tour series. My understanding is that the tour series clubs are about 20 to 25% heavier than the ultra-lights.

Curious for feedback on our club choice. For a kid of average strength, are ultra-lights the way to go? Or will the heavier clubs be useful for improving her strength? In general, what is the rationale for getting kids light clubs, and what is the rationale for getting them heavier clubs? What parameters should guide this choice?

Thanks for your help.

-Father of an aspiring golfer

11 hours ago, OnTheDanceFloor said:

My daughter has out-grown her 45 inch US Kids ultra-light clubs. She is now 50 inches tall and will be 9 years old next month. She is a bit small for her age, and of roughly average strength, but is overall a good athlete, and competes in junior golf tournaments and generally finishes in the top 25% of the field.

We are in the market for her next set of clubs, trying to choose between US Kids 51-inch ultra-lights versus US Kids 51-inch tour series. My understanding is that the tour series clubs are about 20 to 25% heavier than the ultra-lights.

Curious for feedback on our club choice. For a kid of average strength, are ultra-lights the way to go? Or will the heavier clubs be useful for improving her strength? In general, what is the rationale for getting kids light clubs, and what is the rationale for getting them heavier clubs? What parameters should guide this choice?

Thanks for your help.

-Father of an aspiring golfer

That's a tough call without having some more data.  Her swing speed would factor into this, too.  My gut says to just get her the 51" UL set for a few reasons:

1)  The UL irons and driver is stupid-easy to swing.  My son was pretty strong when he was 50", but needed that UL driver at that point in time.  He only needed it for about 6-8 months, but still needed it.  The irons are more of the same.

2)  Counting on her getting stronger by swinging heavier clubs is a dangerous game for her swing.  She will end up overcompensating during her swing, causing glitches that will become bad habits and, worse, injury.  I put my at-the-time 8 yo daughter (she was 55"+/83 lbs, so not small) into adult cavity-back irons because I found a good deal on some used that had been reshafted for a junior.  While she scored OK with them, her swing degenerated gradually and she ended up with a wrist injury after digging deep with one of the irons into wet Florida fairway.  She was out for 8 weeks with the injury, and it took her another few months to get her swing back to square-1.  Getting stronger needs to come through physical training and activity, not swinging a club.

3)  The beauty of the UL series is they are cheap new, and even cheaper used.  Kids go through irons so fast due to growth, that there is a thriving second-hand market out there filled with 51" iron sets that are in 8/10 shape on eBay or somewhere like Play-it-Again sports.  Even if you buy them new, it's still a value.  If you can find a set of Flynn Velocity irons used or on Flynn's outlet page, it would be a slight step up from the UL series... but really, the most important part at 51" is that the clubs--from driver to putter--fit your daughter.

• Like 1

@OnTheDanceFloor, I was in your shoes exactly one year ago. I went with 51 inch UL because my kid's ball striking and swing speed weren't that great. One year later, I don't think UL or TS help or hurt my kid's development. It is just a set of beginner clubs. No need to overthink this. 

I agree with @mrshinsa that if your kid plays and practices regularly, it's probably worth getting a TS. 

One thing to note is that with longer clubs (45 -> 51), stiffer shaft (UL -> TS), less forgiving (UL irons -> TS irons), your kid's distance will suffer initially. My kid lost quite a bit distance when upgraded from 48-inch UL to 51-inch UL. Imagine the shock on my face. Just stay patient. Things will work out before you know it. 

Women usually lack the strength of men, on average, so I'd suggest the UL clubs for a daughter.

I'm short and I've discovered that I can handle low swing weights better than high ones.

I experimented with swinging higher swing weight clubs and found that didn't help to improve my swing speed, even when going back to lighter clubs.

It just made my arms and legs sore as I learned to swing harder.  I have a launch monitor to measure my swing speed.

I took a break to recover, aided by the wet weather that made it hard to practice.

I noticed an immediate jump in swing speed by changing my focus to swing faster, not harder, with a light C2 driver.  Went from 75 to 82mph yesterday.

Edited by ShortGolfer

I am right about with you on this for my 8yo daughter. I just ordered a Flynn alto 6i to see how the heavier irons feel... let us know what you go with and how it goes! ill do the same when I get that 6i.

I think I am leaning on staying one more growth stage with the UL's though. She really is flushing her irons and it makes me crazy that the UL offer practically zero spin and just won't hold greens...but I feel like I would rather her swing a club with speed and total control than mess up the swing with something too heavy at this stage.

I have to remind myself that its long term swing development that I care about more than her landing a high and soft 9i perfectly to a front pin and then watching it bounce 30' to the back of a green.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

I am right about with you on this for my 8yo daughter. I just ordered a Flynn alto 6i to see how the heavier irons feel... let us know what you go with and how it goes! ill do the same when I get that 6i.

I think I am leaning on staying one more growth stage with the UL's though. She really is flushing her irons and it makes me crazy that the UL offer practically zero spin and just won't hold greens...but I feel like I would rather her swing a club with speed and total control than mess up the swing with something too heavy at this stage.

I have to remind myself that its long term swing development that I care about more than her landing a high and soft 9i perfectly to a front pin and then watching it bounce 30' to the back of a green.

UL is lighter than Flynn, and Flynn is lighter than TS3 by about 2g (Alto S1 vs TS3-51).

Ultra Light are for beginner golfers and the set when you kid is starting out or isn't serious yet.   But make no mistake there inferior clubs and that is why they are cheaper.  If you feel the need for a full set of irons then this set is not for you.

The tour is really for any kid who is starting to play tournaments regularly and wants a full set of clubs. The same can be said for Flynn prodigy or any other better kids set like this.

The US Kids tour set is easy to acquire and why you see so many.  Nothing wrong with them at all. Flynn is good and if you are looking to order them there a great alternative.

To be honest focus on your kid hitting the ball and if you find yourself playing a lot just go out and spend $500 on a set of kids irons because that about what a decent set costs.  

Edited by tiger1873

When my junior boy went from UL48 to TS51, it was pretty much a no big deal. If your junior 9YO girl is playing tournaments, strikes her UL irons well, etc....then don't worry about it. Get the TS and move on.  Note: No experience with Flynn irons or Prodi-G, but those have good reviews here as well.

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

7 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

Great...went to see about ordering and nothing in stock for USK or Flynn...

Check eBay. You can find all kinds of uskids there. I would buy them months ahead because I knew we would eventually need them. Just keep checking, good deals  pop up often

found this with a quick search

761DD531-B086-45AC-BAD5-DA294EE1500C.png

Edited by Movingday

On 7/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, Medson said:

FWIW. It has been 2 weeks since we upgraded from 51UL to 54TS. My daughter is completely accustom to TS now. 

She lost a little bit swing speed and gained a little bit distance. No fundamental changes. 

Again, if your kids practice regularly, I honestly don't think moving from UL to TS is a big deal. 

good to know. Thx. We just ordered Flynn alto irons for her as they were actually in stock. See how it goes!

ok, annoying update if anyone cares.

New Flynn Alto's felt a tad heavy for my daughter, but within about 30 swings she was swinging them with no issues. Very interesting though that it turned her shot shape into a bit of a draw, but unlike the USK UL irons the Flynns definitely have some spin and stop after a bounce or two - unlike the ULs that just rolled out forever.

thx for the recommendations on the switch away from USK UL!

• 6 months later...

Bumping this up looking for advice.

I have an (almost) 8 year old son currently on the edge of outgrowing his EPEC setup, and am trying to figure out what’s next. He’s right at 54” with shoes. 

We’ve had the EPEC’s lengthened a couple times, but I’m just not sold on them so thinking of going different direction. 

He has a US Kids UL sand wedge they I picked up for him to test, and it’s the best club in his bag by far. And I recently grabbed a demo 54” USK UL driver from our shop for him to try which he hits higher and further than EPEC driver.  So thinking maybe just going 54” USK for next set. 

But then question of UL vs TS. His driver ss with the 54” UL is in the low 60’s, which according to the USK site puts him into TS. But I’m cognizant he’s still really early and don’t want to push it with heavier clubs unnecessarily. 

Would consider Prodi G too but seem to be out of stock for a bit. 

Opinions on clubs or how to make decision appreciated. 

7 minutes ago, statepgm said:

I have an (almost) 8 year old son currently on the edge of outgrowing his EPEC setup, and am trying to figure out what’s next. He’s right at 54” with shoes. 

We’ve had the EPEC’s lengthened a couple times, but I’m just not sold on them so thinking of going different direction. 

He has a US Kids UL sand wedge they I picked up for him to test, and it’s the best club in his bag by far. And I recently grabbed a demo 54” USK UL driver from our shop for him to try which he hits higher and further than EPEC driver.  So thinking maybe just going 54” USK for next set. 

But then question of UL vs TS. His driver ss with the 54” UL is in the low 60’s, which according to the USK site puts him into TS. But I’m cognizant he’s still really early and don’t want to push it with heavier clubs unnecessarily. 

54” is when we moved from UL to TS3. Went graphite shaft. Took a few weeks to make the change but it was pretty seamless. Just moved up to 57” so I have the 54” available if interested DM me

2 hours ago, statepgm said:

See my post from earlier in the thread. 

Note that when we upgraded from 51 UL to 54 TS3, my daughter developed outside in path possibly due to new clubs are heavier. We just worked through it. 

21 hours ago, statepgm said:

Low 60s is about as hard as you want to be swinging that 54" UL.  Moving him up to something with a slightly stiffer shaft soon would be a good idea, and opinions on what the  very best option is for that swing speed vary in this forum.

I put my son into the F9 Jr driver on his 7th birthday, and it was just too heavy--he was 53"/63 lbs at the time.  His swing speed was 62-64. This was a mistake, as he was hitting the UL 54 well at that time but he complained incessantly about the purple head color.  That F9 was too heavy for him, so I removed the weights and put in a lighter shaft.  Removing the weights hurt the driver's performance, but once he was about to turn 8 he had grown a few inches and gained a few pounds so he was able to swing it with the weights back in it.  Still, I regret putting him in that driver and I may have very well stunted his development.  Only recently have we gotten his driver swing back on track and progressing.  He turns nine in three months, and is now 57"/74 lbs swinging high 60s and touching 70 on occasion.  We sold the F9 over the summer and I put him into a Titleist TS1 with an Air Speeder R3 shaft.  He's knocking that driver pretty good right now, finally catching up to some of his more competitive peers.

We have played with kids who have gamed the Prodi G, Sim 2, Tour Series, Flynn Alto, etc... and I feel that it is as simple as getting your kid into a driver/shaft combo that is balanced right, the right length, a grip they like with a head that isn't too heavy for them.  My son has out-driven kids with $500 setups, and been out-driven by kids with a $50 driver.  

I don't think you can go wrong with either the TS3 or Prodi G. You can find the Prodi G on eBay, 3Balls or 2nd Swing used in the $125-$150 range regularly.  The TS3 driver used will be cheaper, and if I could go back in time I would have bought my son one two years ago.