Cheap MBs or CBs

Navistar

Hello guys and gals, looking at getting a cheap set of blades or cavity backs to play around with on the skytrak. I play SGI irons at the moment and feel like i have the skill level to move to something smaller that will dig a bit better and report bad strikes to me a bit more. I want to test some cheaper clubs and when i feel I am ready and this is the route i want to take, I will splurge on the best. 

I currently play with some cheap giga golf one length irons that hit just as well as the taylormade sim max os in my opinion. I love single length but you really limit yourself in the club department with single length. Giga Golf has blades for under $400. Wishon looks like a step up in quality or maybe even 2 steps but they are also more expensive than i care to spend on a trial set. 

I demo'd the sub 70 cavity backs a while back and thought it was awesome but got busy and couldnt hit them as much as I would have liked. 

Any ideas from you guys? Is sub 70 the cheapest you would go on this type of club or do you think I can make a fair assessment with the giga golf blades?

I would go back a few years and grab some Titleist MBs.... but I am biased.  I recently did the same, grabbed some 714 mb and have really been enjoying them.  They aren't as unforgiving as you'd think and offer great feedback.  A lot of fun to hit and can be found cheap.  Go back even further and there are better deals.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim Max 9  HZRDUS RDX blue 60s

Taylormade Sim 15 Ti  Aldila Rogue Silver 70s

Ping G25 20  TFC 189s

Srixon Z 765 4i/Z745 5-P  Modus 105s

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12, 58/8

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Snell MTB 

Titleist Players 4

36 minutes ago, Navistar said:

I currently play with some cheap giga golf one length irons that hit just as well as the taylormade sim max os in my opinion. I love single length but you really limit yourself in the club department with single length. Giga Golf has blades for under $400. Wishon looks like a step up in quality or maybe even 2 steps but they are also more expensive than i care to spend on a trial set. 

Wishon aren't MB or CB. They're hollow-headed irons. 

If you're looking to stay one-length, you may not have any good blade options. As you lose the club speed advantage of longer shaft lengths, the energy you're imparting to the ball is lower on low-lofted one length irons than on variable-length, despite the heavier relative head weights. I think this is somewhat mitigated with the lower CG and the higher COR faces that you see on one-length sets in those low-lofted irons (and Wishon forces you into a hybrid at the 20* loft), and it would be REALLY hard to launch one-length low-lofted blades. Even Bryson goes to more utility clubs in those lofts. 

If you're looking to move back to variable length, of course, none of this applies.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Odyssey White Hot XG #1 w/ SuperStroke jumbo

12 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

If you're looking to stay one-length, you may not have any good blade options. As you lose the club speed advantage of longer shaft lengths, the energy you're imparting to the ball is lower on low-lofted one length irons than on variable-length, despite the heavier relative head weights. I think this is somewhat mitigated with the lower CG and the higher COR faces that you see on one-length sets in those low-lofted irons (and Wishon forces you into a hybrid at the 20* loft), and it would be REALLY hard to launch one-length low-lofted blades. Even Bryson goes to more utility clubs in those lofts. 

If you're looking to move back to variable length, of course, none of this applies.

No not really looking to stay one length if i find something that wins my heart. I may order the sub 70 demos again and see how they feel with my current swing. I have definitely improved since i last hit them. Any other ideas for demo or cheap purchase?

I do see i can buy singles from giga golf so i may just buy the 7 iron to play around with. 

Sub 70's are great clubs.  I was skeptical at first, but after hitting the demo's I bought a set of the blades and couldn't be much happier with them.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

I liked the Sub70 699 Pro demos I hit, but ended up going one length instead. But I just bought a couple of wedges to accompany the OL set from Sub70, and they're beautiful. 

I know New Level also does a demo program--you may want to check them out as a DTC that is in the lower-cost category with Sub70. 

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Keep in mind, the further you go back in time for blades, the cheaper they get.  But you will discover the propensity of older blades to have COG nearer the heel are more difficult to strike well as opposed to contemporary blades with COG centered low and back away from the face, between heel and toe. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I'd say go with Sub70s.  Suggest looking at their preowned sets on their website, might save a few more bucks and get them quicker.  

SIM2 Autoflex 505
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid or Mavrik 7 wood

Apex 21 irons  5-gap 
54* SM8
Sub70 JB low bounce 58*
PXG Operator H

12 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Keep in mind, the further you go back in time for blades, the cheaper they get.  But you will discover the propensity of older blades to have COG nearer the heel are more difficult to strike well as opposed to contemporary blades with COG centered low and back away from the face, between heel and toe. 

good info, thanks. The only reason i am even contemplating a blade or small cavity back is because my miss is on the heel and i keep reading that these types of clubs dont punish as bad on the heel. They punish severely on toe shots. I draw the ball so I swing with "in to out". All i know is i am sick of the sgi clubs and want something to grow into. 

6 minutes ago, Navistar said:

good info, thanks. The only reason i am even contemplating a blade or small cavity back is because my miss is on the heel and i keep reading that these types of clubs dont punish as bad on the heel. They punish severely on toe shots. I draw the ball so I swing with "in to out". All i know is i am sick of the sgi clubs and want something to grow into. 

I have been playing blades for 30+yrs.  Old style, new style and back to 620 MBs, which I see as closer to old than new. 

I would NOT suggest to anyone, buy a set of irons because they may help a swing error, least of all blades. It's a recipe for frustration and misinformation.  Your swing error may be the result of the club head design, and or the shaft you're playing, even lie angle, etc.  Just sayin...

• Like 1
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

how about a set of nice cavity backs such as the maxfli revolution black dots???

slightly larger clubhead and some forgiveness and legendary soft feel?

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

I'd buy used.  You can get some great MB and CBs for a few hundred bucks. 

G410 10.5 Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I have been playing blades for 30+yrs.  Old style, new style and back to 620 MBs, which I see as closer to old than new. 

I would NOT suggest to anyone, buy a set of irons because they may help a swing error, least of all blades. It's a recipe for frustration and misinformation.  Your swing error may be the result of the club head design, and or the shaft you're playing, even lie angle, etc.  Just sayin...

Think you misunderstood me a little. Not looking for a fix just stating that i hit from center to inside a little on most shots so blades shouldnt punish me as bad as if i was a toe striker. 

4 hours ago, Navistar said:

Think you misunderstood me a little. Not looking for a fix just stating that i hit from center to inside a little on most shots so blades shouldnt punish me as bad as if i was a toe striker. 

Maybe I wasn't clear too.  Not seeing your swing  or knowing your index, I would not support that assumption. 

I am self-taught, and without a perfect swing, it's grooved and effective.  I hit the sweet spot 98% of the time.  If I mishit, they are still relatively straight only 10-12yds short, mostly because I didn't swing hard enough.  I have 620 CB and 620 MB sets and a blend in the bag that changes.  Though specs are relatively identical between both heads, miss hitting CB 4 iron is different from MB 4 iron.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

19 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Maybe I wasn't clear too.  Not seeing your swing  or knowing your index, I would not support that assumption. 

I am self-taught, and without a perfect swing, it's grooved and effective.  I hit the sweet spot 98% of the time.  If I mishit, they are still relatively straight only 10-12yds short, mostly because I didn't swing hard enough.  I have 620 CB and 620 MB sets and a blend in the bag that changes.  Though specs are relatively identical between both heads, missing hitting CB 4 iron is different from MB 4 iron.

Sounds good. I will demo some MBs from sub 70 and see how i like them. Maybe the MB+ which has a little longer face and some offset. 

Im not dead set on blades but I feel like these sgi clubs are really hindering my progression because distance control isnt great. Now that i have learned to compress the ball and take a dollar bill size divot most of the time vs where i once swept and didnt injure a single blade of grass, I think these huge soles are more problem than solution. 

I really like the videos from TXG Golf on youtube and Ian hints all the time that he doesnt find these sgi clubs are good for most players. Hes definetly not a believer in them and as I see my swing improving I can see the difference in say a taylormade sim max os vs the taylormade p790s. I really like the tm-p790s by the way. I could even try hitting something in the realm of the 770s. 

2 hours ago, 10HcpBlades said:

Old MP33 are the way I would go. Look good at address, and very true to the idea of a “blade”. 

I second this idea. If you are going the way of the blade, you may as well go into the deep end. Skip CB.

"I want a hamburger..no, a cheeseburger, I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake."

"You'll get nothing and like it."

52 minutes ago, Navistar said:

Im not dead set on blades but I feel like these sgi clubs are really hindering my progression because distance control isnt great. Now that i have learned to compress the ball and take a dollar bill size divot most of the time vs where i once swept and didnt injure a single blade of grass, I think these huge soles are more problem than solution. 

Bear in mind there's a big continuum between SGI and blades... You don't necessarily need to go from one extreme to the other. 

I too was staying away from SGI because I have enough swing speed and compression that I have NO trouble launching the ball high and far. I was playing oversize CBs previously. The clubs I ended up with from Wishon are probably in what would be called the "Player's Distance" category rather than GI or SGI. They should offer more forgiveness without necessarily being built for the novice swinger.

That was one reason I originally looked at the Sub70 699 Pro. I draw the ball so I didn't feel I needed a higher-offset iron like the 699, and I certainly don't need SGI, but I thought the forgiveness would be helpful. When I hit the demos I definitely didn't feel like they were shovels.

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

I am making the switch to 99 DCI 990B which can be got in good condition for less than $150 on ebay. It is 417 SS but apparently has been treated to be softer. The DCI's 962 can be had for a little more, they are more famous and forgiving,  David Duval played them.

Big Bertha Titanium 9d - Big Bertha 4, 7w - Titleist DCI 990B 5i-PW, DCI 962 4i, GW  - 8802

I had an MP-32 and wanted a 33 but couldn't find one in lefty. The 32 was awesome.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Sub 70 seems like a great option.  You could also get an older set of hogans for fairly cheap.  Personally I’d try to go somewhere and hit different clubs and find the clubs that are best for you to play.  Could be blades, but more likely to be some sort of players iron or players distance iron if you are moving up from SGI.  clubs like the callaway apex pro, ping i210, Taylor made p770 may be a better fit. None of them are cheap but they are likely to be better options than blades for actually playing.  If you want blade for fun and or training I’d get some cheaper older ones personally...

You can find some j15 MB’s for a pretty good deal as well.  Some of the best feeling MB’s I’ve ever played.  Decent sized blade with a little bounce on the sole.

Edited by wam78

Titleist  TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Titleist TS3 15*  RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Titleist  TSi2  21*  MCA Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

Honma  TR21x 4i   Vizard ib-wf 100x

Honma  TR20v 6-PW, TR20p 5i Modus 120x

Honma  48 (49.5) i sole Modus 120x, 54 i sole TI DG s400

Cushman  C&C 1.0 Raw Carbon OR

Scotty Cameron  Special Select Flowback 5.5

Bridgestone Tour B X

1 minute ago, jomatty said:

Sub 70 seems like a great option.  You could also get an older set of hogans for fairly cheap.  Personally I’d try to go somewhere and hit different clubs and find the clubs that are best for you to play.  Could be blades, but more likely to be some sort of players iron or players distance iron if you are moving up from SGI.  clubs like the callaway apex pro, ping i210, Taylor made p770 may be a better fit. None of them are cheap but they are likely to be better options than blades for actually playing.  If you want blade for fun and or training I’d get some cheaper older ones personally...

and thats my mindset totally. Probably just keep them on the wall near the skytrak and play something like the p770 on the course. Just curious if anyone has played the super cheap knockoffs like gigagolf puts out. 

Has anyone ever used a blade with matching shafts, grips and swing weight for dialing in their swing and then play with a players distance? Is that a thing?

Don't buy new, just find something older.  While covid pricing has made things more expensive in most areas, older blades aren't as steep.  A couple of years ago I got a set of Mizzy MP-33's for $150 cdn...  

Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei 1K Pro White 60 TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* Tensei 1K Pro White 80 TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM P760 4-P TI S400 

TM MG 50/54/58 TI S400

Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line 35"

6 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Wishon has (or at least had) forged blades and cavity back options. Might be worth a try as their quality was top notch. 

drn92

Edited by drn92

New Level or Sub 70 gets my vote.  I have the 623-M and they are mbs but on the forgiving end with a touch of offset.  They can be had for 700 or less depending on what shafts and grip you want.  Eric already has a 10% off promo code and has sales where his stuff is up to 25% off. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1