2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Backyard LM’s reading slower speed

I started another thread specific to my struggles getting an SC300 to work, and since then I’ve also tried a Garmin G80.

Both units read my swing speed lower than it is, leaving me with very short distances. Data from my recent lesson on a Flightscope X3 shows my average 7 iron carry as 118m, I can’t get the G80 above about 96m carry even when I’m swinging out of my skin. 

Yes I tried all the settings and all the different ways to set these launch monitors up. Both LM’s for me work perfectly at the range. 

I’ve now seen similar problems mentioned by other people and with most personal launch monitors on the market when I dig deep into various forums. 

The purpose of this thread is to discuss any possible fixes specific to getting low speed readings in a backyard net with personal launch monitors. 

For me personally I have two small tin sheds in my garden, I know these could be affecting it, but the problem is that I’ve tried moving my net around in all different locations in my yard and facing the launch monitors radar away from them. Nothing changes.

I don’t have anything electrical in my sheds (no power at all), but my neighbours both have garages with power and no idea what they’ve got in them. 

I also live about 200m from an electrical sub station. Is that a possibility?

What else can I try or what else could be causing the problems I get?

I’ve tried all the usual things a thousand times. Shadows, sun glare, distance from ball, distance from net, different surfaces, making sure it’s flat, different coloured backdrops in my net, different golf balls etc. None of those make the slightest difference. 

If this is some kind of radar interference specific to my location that I can’t pin point, is there any way to combat that? I have no indoor areas suitable to set up a net. Are there any of the personal launch monitors available that use camera technology or something different to Doppler radar that may work? 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're saying the speed is low but you're only telling us the carry distances.    What were the actual ball and club speeds reported by the different units?

Neither the sc300 or g80 are able to measure spin - and spin plays a big part in the distances (not to mention that different companies use different algorithms for the ball flight calcs).   So are you really sure the problem is the speed measurements?

For doppler radars, interference can certainly effect the detection of the hit and ball - but it's rare that it will effect the frequency shift and therefor the velocity measurements once the detection is made.

Edited by Stuart_G

On 7/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, Stuart_G said:

You're saying the speed is low but you're only telling us the carry distances.    What were the actual ball and club speeds reported by the different units?

Neither the sc300 or g80 are able to measure spin - and spin plays a big part in the distances (not to mention that different companies use different algorithms for the ball flight calcs).   So are you really sure the problem is the speed measurements?

For doppler radars, interference can certainly effect the detection of the hit and ball - but it's rare that it will effect the frequency shift and therefor the velocity measurements once the detection is made.

Thanks for your input Stuart. 

I no longer have the SC300, but from the G80 using my 7 iron today.... 

Home: Carry 107, Club Head 64, Ball Speed 93, Smash 1.45, Tempo 2.8

Range: Carry 118, Club Head 73, Ball Speed 100, Smash 1.36, Tempo 3.2

The range shot was just a decent regular shot. The shot I selected from home felt like a flushed shot, yet you can see the numbers are much lower.

From last lesson, my average of all 7 iron shots on Flightscope X3 were Carry 118, Club 77, Ball Speed 99, Smash 1.28. These figures look very consistent in comparison to the range shots I recorded (took photos of the readings on the G80 for 5 shots in a row). 

Just that big decrease in the net at home, yet I feel like I'm hitting way too hard in the net and still not getting close in numbers.

Yes it has crossed my mind many times that this could range/real swing vs net swing, in fact I've been trying to convince myself that I just need to hit really hard in the net and try and reach those range numbers, but deep down I know it's not right. 

The G80 seems to be spot-on at the range. Doesn't matter what club, doesn't matter where I place the unit, etc. It was a similar experience with the SC300.

Any clues as to what could be going on?

4 hours ago, TooSteepForMizunos said:

Yes it has crossed my mind many times that this could range/real swing vs net swing, in fact I've been trying to convince myself that I just need to hit really hard in the net and try and reach those range numbers, but deep down I know it's not right. 

Well, it's not uncommon that trying to swing harder actually results in a slower swing.  More excess muscle tension or poor sequencing can certainly slow down the swing.

The slower ball speed as well as slower club head speed means there likely is something different with the swing or impact.   What exactly is impossible to say but it could be something about the environment or thought process.   Some mats can lend themselves to fat shots that aren't very noticeable.  But that's just one of many possibilities.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:41 PM, Stuart_G said:

Well, it's not uncommon that trying to swing harder actually results in a slower swing.  More excess muscle tension or poor sequencing can certainly slow down the swing.

The slower ball speed as well as slower club head speed means there likely is something different with the swing or impact.   What exactly is impossible to say but it could be something about the environment or thought process.   Some mats can lend themselves to fat shots that aren't very noticeable.  But that's just one of many possibilities.

I see what you’re saying about swinging too hard resulting in slow swing. 

I don’t think that applies here though, as I’m only trying to swing harder because my regular swing is bringing up ridiculously low results in the net in the first place. I’m not ruling it out, I just think it’s unlikely. With 6 months of trying with two different launch monitors, my regular swing feel doesn’t get close to numbers I get on the range.

I had been wondering about impact though. My mat setup is pretty average, and I do tend to have fat shots. I would love to try a proper full size, full weight range mat, that’s an expensive test though that might not give me any change in results.

I have tried different types of surfaces to hit from in the net, but not a pro range mat. 

Stuart do you or anyone else here know how the Garmin G80 measures the shot? Since it’s facing towards the player, I’m assuming it’s all about impact and not recording any ball flight? Does it use any ball flight? 

10 hours ago, TooSteepForMizunos said:

I had been wondering about impact though. My mat setup is pretty average, and I do tend to have fat shots. I would love to try a proper full size, full weight range mat, that’s an expensive test though that might not give me any change in results.

Doesn't have to be an expensive test.  Just try teeing it up a little some how and see if the numbers improve.  Also use foot powder spray to check the face impact location.

Stuart do you or anyone else here know how the Garmin G80 measures the shot? Since it’s facing towards the player, I’m assuming it’s all about impact and not recording any ball flight? Does it use any ball flight? 

Sorry, can't help you there.   All these units use doppler radar signals to measure club and ball velicities but outside of those numbers, how it gets distance has to depend on a lot of assumptions if it isn't measuring launch angle and spin.  What those assumptions might be, I have no idea.  Those are the kind of things the companies like to keep to themselves.

Edited by Stuart_G