What's Your Weakness?

Thought it would be cool to start a thread on the pain & struggle side of our wonderful sport. Currently, I am playing at about a 2 handicap and my goal has always been scratch. I played a little high school golf but never amounted to anything significant, as I was more focused on hockey. Over the last two years, I have drastically improved and really starting to get consistent low numbers on all courses. But like everyone in golf (except Tiger), weaknesses always find a way to creep in. For me personally, putting has really been my downfall. Three putts are something I am way too familiar with, but is also something I think has the most opportunity to improve.

But what about everyone else? Who needs to vent? 

Tee trouble? Putting yips? The Shankaroonis?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Blondes ladies over 5’6” that can golf 

You have a thing for Ernie Els, huh?

I focus too much on my clubs, rather than improve my game.

1 minute ago, BNGL said:

Blondes over 5’6” that can golf 

You have a thing for Ernie Els, huh?

Edited by betarhoalphadelta
  • Haha 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Odyssey White Hot XG #1 w/ SuperStroke jumbo

You guys beat me to the punch.  Besides eye candy and hot cart girls, my weakness in golf would be ball striking.  Much improved over the years but I still struggle to find the middle of the face especially with the longer clubs. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

The downswing.

I can set up properly and take the club back properly.  However, sometimes ancient caveman genetic memories come through in the downswing. 

I wonder how I can go from a nice controlled swing to caveman kill it mentality in the downswing.  It happens.  If I can control genetic memory caveman I have a much better round of golf.

No offense to any cavemen reading this.

For me it is course management. Knowing where you can miss on a hole. If you ever look at playing lessons with the pros on television, the key take away is how the player thinks how they want to play a shot into a hole, where they can miss it and whether or not it is worth it to go after a hole. Along with executing a shot more often than not, that has dramatically improved my game. Most of the time, I find myself playing to a number for my approach shot versus hitting the longest club in my bag and if I hit it wayward, find myself in a bigger mess. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade R1  Motore Speeder 757X
TaylorMade Aeroburner 15* Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Cobra MIM Tour Recoil 3-PW F5 110

Cobra 52/58 snakebite Recoil F5 110

TaylorMade Spyder 
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I've struggled with a hook for probably 15 years now. My problem is, I don't have a swing thought or feel I can go to that gets rid of them. If I ever hit a block, a top, or the odd slice, I know exactly what I did wrong and can usually fix it in the next swing. If the hooks show up though, brother, I'm a goner. I'll make what feels like a perfect swing and strike it on the dead center of the clubface, only to look up and watch the ball dive hard into the left woods and run out 100 yards farther left. The hooks have destroyed what could have potentially been some of the best scoring rounds of my golfing career. Very frustrating and without a doubt my biggest weakness in golf. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Low Diamond Phillips said:

I've struggled with a hook for probably 15 years now. My problem is, I don't have a swing thought or feel I can go to that gets rid of them. If I ever hit a block, a top, or the odd slice, I know exactly what I did wrong and can usually fix it in the next swing. If the hooks show up though, brother, I'm a goner. I'll make what feels like a perfect swing and strike it on the dead center of the clubface, only to look up and watch the ball dive hard into the left woods and run out 100 yards farther left. The hooks have destroyed what could have potentially been some of the best scoring rounds of my golfing career. Very frustrating and without a doubt my biggest weakness in golf. 

That's been my big miss lately, especially off the tee. I feel like I can make a good strike, and it's just hooking left.

I’m greedy. I need to learn to think my way around the golf course better. 

-1 going into 8. Could have hit hybrid or 4 iron off the tee, but pulled driver because “I’ve been hitting it well” hit it in the woods. Proceeded to make double, then par on 9 for a 37. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Red 9x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

620 / MC X-Firm

WITB Thread

My brain.  

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 9.0°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade E (PW) bent to 50°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW & LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 56° (bent to 54°) / 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

Really struggling to get off the tee this year for whatever reason plus bunker play. Used to be a strength of my game. Have always been a good putter and iron player and pretty solid with a wedge in my hand, but always struggled with chipping and bunker play. Bunker play is still an issue (just a total mental block in terms of executing), but chipping has improved out of no where. The off the team struggles have resulted in my handicap moving from a 4.1 at the end of last season up to a 5.4 currently.

If I'm getting into trouble it is usually tee box issues and it almost always stems from improper setup. I can sometimes let the ball creep back in my stance which forces me into a poor, trying to save it swing that never works out, sometimes catastrophically so. The sad thing is I'll often feel that something is off just prior to pulling the trigger but somewhere in the back of my head I want to keep things moving and don't back off to reset nearly as much as I should. The other thing that can turn a hole bad for me is trying to be too cute around the greens when the proper, safe play is not trying to snuggle it close to the pin.

right now it's getting the swing that i've been fixing to make it to the course. on course my tempo gets quicker and my body reverts to the old swing. takes a ton of focus to 'lock-in' as of late too...probably b/c i'm fighting myself with the old/new swing. 

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Diamana TB 70TX tipped 1.0"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

RTX Zipcore Black / 54, 60 / KBS Tour S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Length off the tee. I'm too young (53) to hit it as short as I do. Need to get on a fitness program. I'd be a +4 if I just hit is 275 and was (mostly) pain-free.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

17 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Ugh tbh brunettes and redheads do absolutely nothing for me. I have a very particular taste that started as soon as I dated a girl in college who was on the ladies team from Scandinavia. Never stopped haha

You can always have a brunette or redhead dye/bleach their hair blonde nowadays.  😉

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

My weakness is different every round.. I can't ever recall EVERYTHING clicking at once..

#1 Putting - 50% of time.  Just half the days I play I can't make ANYTHING from beyond 4 feet, and sometimes miss those ones inside 5 ft too. 

#2 Irons - 30% of time.  If I'm putting well, I'm usually fighting either a push (30%) or pull (70%) with my irons

#3 Driver - 15% of time.  If both of the above are clicking, that means I'm not getting well off the tee, but this is usually fairly decent for me.

#4 Chipping - 5% of time.  I've practiced a TON in my basement this year while working from home and it's easily become the strongest part of my game, if I'm making the 5 footers that day, I'm usually scoring well (for my standards).  This part of my game makes me feel like a low single digit capper.

This just inspired a thread idea for me..

Edited by sekrah

My weakness is my driver. It is either working great or it's horrible. On my good days, it's a weapon. On my bad days, it's like I've never played golf. Makes for some 'interesting' rounds. 99% sure it's driven by a path that's far too in to out, which results in some unplayable hooks. Taking a lesson in a few weeks, so hopefully can address via that.  

I've also been pretty weak with my chipping lately, but that's a new development, as it's historically been the best part of my game. Not sure what's changed, but need to get that back to where it was. 

The left miss mainly, most of it is swing related (tend to get too long and across the line) and I always struggle with my grip getting too strong at setup, which tends to force my path more and more from the inside. I've been working on a setup change and haven't felt completely comfortable over the ball in a while, the goal is get to where I feel more on top of it. In the past I would have days where I setup and just knew it was going to be a good shot, trying to get back there. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist TSi3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

I have a bunch of "little weaknesses"

Right about a 1 HCP these days (although I've got no idea how)

Driver - I either hit every single fairway, or I'm miles off the map (most of the time, this is my best club)

Irons - Knock on wood, I rarely have a horrible day with ball striking. This is my absolute strength

Wedges - Ehh, halfway decent

Chipping - Excellent

To the actual weaknesses:

- Putting: I don't 3-putt much, but I rarely make anything outside of 5 feet

- Greenside bunkers: no idea what the F is gonna happen when I end up in one. Most of the time I'm happy if I just get it on the green. Luckily my iron game keeps me out of them most of the time. 

Bump and Runs - my mind always sees a "high or mid traj shot", likely because I spent my high school days working full time on a driving range where I was obsessed with hitting wedges and putting spin on the ball. 

Taking a hole or two off, so to speak.  Example would be Tuesday I did a quick 9 after work.  After 7, I was -3, which for me is good (usually would be -1 to +2, depending on how putts are falling that day).  Remaining two holes are relatively easy par 5 and 3.  

I check out on hole 8 and stray a drive enough such that it is in sufficient tree trouble where I have to do a recovery shot and just advance the ball as best I can.  So I do that.  It stops on a lie where the ball is below my feet a lot (I typically avoid that spot or try to at least).  So I catch the pitch thin enough to where it goes over and is just in the rough behind the green.  Chip and 2 putts from there for a bogey.  All because I checked out on essentially one shot.  

Checked back in and got par on 9.  Good score, should have been better.