2021 Pro V's (better than past years?)

abenjami

1 hour ago, Drewhill44 said:

Interested in hearing your comparison. I hope to be comparing the ‘21 V1 to the BX this weekend myself.  

I felt like the BX flies higher off the driver and irons and spins less. I just hit the BX much straighter. Short game does not have as much spin, but the BX is still VERY  good around the green. Like the ProV better off the putter. 

Staying with BX and going to pick up the BXS after seeing the ball test numbers. 

PXG 0811X Gen4 Diamana ZF 60S
PXG 0341x Proto 3 Wood Fuji Speeder 757 Evo TS 7s

TM M2 19* Hybrid Fuji Pro S
PXG 0311 Gen3 P 4-GW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 54* Elevate Tour S 
TM MG3 60* HB DG S200

Seemore Nashville Series mFGP

Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I felt like the BX flies higher off the driver and irons and spins less. I just hit the BX much straighter. Short game does not have as much spin, but the BX is still VERY  good around the green. Like the ProV better off the putter. 

Staying with BX and going to pick up the BXS after seeing the ball test numbers. 

I started the year playing the BXS but struggled with feel around the green and putting 🤷🏻‍♂️.  Made the switch to the BX and it has been longer off the tee for me with the same performance with my irons and I have better feel with it around the green and putting even though it feels firmer.  Decided to try the 2021 V1 after seeing the MGS ball test that showed that the V1 seemed to have similar spin and distances to the BX with hopefully a slightly softer feel, maybe somewhere between the BX and BXS. 

Edited by Drewhill44
  • Like 1

Driver:  Cobra RadSpeed 10.5* @ 9.5*-Diamana Whiteboard 60X

Fairway Woods:  Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood 14.5* & 5 wood 17.5*-Diamana Whitebaord 70X

Irons:  Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges:  Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 60*-KBS C-Taper 125S+

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball:  2020 Bridgestone Tour BX

Played 18 with the 2021 V1 today.  Really liked the ball.  Compared to the 2019 V1, I would say that the ‘21 version has a softer and better feel and it performed better in the wind…barley moved in a crosswind and didn’t balloon into the wind.  Good trajectory for me with irons and wedges.  I would still like to play it side by side with the BX, but first impression was very pleased.  

• Like 4

Driver:  Cobra RadSpeed 10.5* @ 9.5*-Diamana Whiteboard 60X

Fairway Woods:  Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood 14.5* & 5 wood 17.5*-Diamana Whitebaord 70X

Irons:  Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges:  Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 60*-KBS C-Taper 125S+

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball:  2020 Bridgestone Tour BX

22 minutes ago, Drewhill44 said:

Played 18 with the 2021 V1 today.  Really liked the ball.  Compared to the 2019 V1, I would say that the ‘21 version has a softer and better feel and it performed better in the wind…barley moved in a crosswind and didn’t balloon into the wind.  Good trajectory for me with irons and wedges.  I would still like to play it side by side with the BX, but first impression was very pleased.  

It seems like Titleist finally caught up to the other manufactures in wind aero this iteration. 

• Like 2

TSi3 9° Tensei White Prototype 2.0 TX
Epic Flash SZ 15° Kai'li x
Epic Flash 3H 19° Evenflow Black 6.5
i210 4-G Modus3 120x
Glide 3.0 54°/60° Modus3 120x
2 Ball Ten

V1X, CSX-LS, who knows?

19 minutes ago, Georgie Z said:

Would a slower swing speed generally fit into the V1x over the V1?

I’m not sure you can fit a ball on swing speed alone. You need to consider what your most important factors in a balls performance are and fit from there. Somewhere along the line you are going to have to sacrifice.

if you need dramatically lower spin off the tee to eliminate a hard slice, you are going to most likely sacrifice greenside spin. 

if you need lots of iron and wedge spin you will most likely have to deal with higher spin off woods as well. 

A super slow swinger sometimes needs extra spin to keep the ball airborn. 

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed a distance increase switching to the ProV1 vs the X?  I have been a lifelong V1x or Bridgestone Bx player as for years the Prov1 was always dubbed as the shorter and spinny ball.  However, its seems in recent years that's kind of changed somewhat.  I'm a +2 but my driver does tend to go a little high and spin a bit much at times so that's why I'm thinking I may need to switch to the prov1. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

I am seeing the Pro V1 actually being a little longer for me.   I think they are very close though.   I am a big fan of the new V1.   Soft, less driver spin, great flight.

Ping G400 10.5* - Ping Tour 65
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff
Ping I25 5-pw - CFS S Cushin +1/4
Ping Glide 3.0 52/58 SS
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Used the new V1 again last week. Flies a bit low for my liking but stops on a dime compared to TM and Callaway offerings. Used V1X yesterday and was underwhelmed. Feels dead off the face and no difference in trajectory to the regular V1. Spun too much with the irons. Durability was excellent but won't be staying in the bag. 

On 8/20/2021 at 12:19 PM, OspreyCI said:

Update. ‘21 ProV1 is my new ball. Several rounds in with it and is  just a touch better than the BX with all the clubs. LOVE it off the putter and driver. 

• Like 1

TM MG3 60* HB DG S200

Titleist ProV1

Feels great, plays great. Unfortunately I've had issues with durability. In the 8 or so I've gone through so far I've had 4 balls where the cover gets sliced up or a pinhead piece of the ball gets cut and raised and then sticks out. It's very strange. Maybe just a bad box?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 / TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

I have a little different view on the new ProV1 than others and I have done a lot of testing from the 2019 ProV1 which I game to the 2021 ProV1 and ProV1x.  I hit both of the 2021 versions slightly higher and longer than 2019 version.  But I love the trajectory window of the 2019 ProV1 on approach shots.  And although the 2021 ProV1 is soft around the greens, I short game the 2019 ball slightly better.  I am stocked up on 2019s but will transition and adjust to the new ball over the off season as it definitely has some differences.

First round with the 2021 Pro V1 and it's a keep coming from Bridgestone earlier this year.  

Brought flight down on the driver a bit and get about 8-10 yards out of it for me.  Feels fantastic inside 100 yards and love the hit and sit - very predictable.  Thought it had great speed off longer irons and 3 wood - nice trajectory and consistent yardage wise.

If nothing else ball gave me confidence that it will hold the line and fly true.  Not much more you can ask for from a ball.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max - Tensei AV Raw Blue 60 Stiff
3W - SIM 15 - Ventus Red Stiff
Srixon ZX 3 19 - Evenflow Riptide 80 Stiff
4-6 Srixon ZX5 Nippon 105 S

7-PW Srixon ZX7  Nippon T120 S
50, 55, 60 Vokey SM8 Nippon 105 S
Scotty Cameron 2.7

I actually switched from the Bridgestone X earlier this season to the 2021 ProV1. Had some issues with full shot wedges with the BX. ProV1 fixed that and still gave me all the distance/windows/everything I wanted in a ball. The V1X spins waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for me. Its like the new V1 is what the V1X used to be. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have played Pro V1 since it’s launch and loved it. 

But the new version is different. It’s far too soft, and flies differently to the old version, especially with the irons, it looks like it catches a flier from the fairway.

So I tried the X, seemed ok to start with. But I just don’t get along with it. They go further with my irons, it’s about a half club different, which is not helpful. And they just want to go up, fine if you want to hit moon balls, but not if you want some control.

For me, it’s time to try something different.

Sim 2 Max 10.5 Tensei CK Blue 60X
Sim 2 Max 15 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5 

Titleist 816 H2 - 21 (C1) Aldila Rogue Black 85X 
Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Bridgestone Tour B XS

On 9/16/2021 at 11:54 AM, YoYoJumbo said:

I actually switched from the Bridgestone X earlier this season to the 2021 ProV1. Had some issues with full shot wedges with the BX. ProV1 fixed that and still gave me all the distance/windows/everything I wanted in a ball. The V1X spins waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for me. Its like the new V1 is what the V1X used to be. 

I have officially left my beloved BX to the 2021 ProV1. Just does everything I need from tee to green. It’s just THAT good for me. 

• Like 1

TM MG3 60* HB DG S200

Titleist ProV1

I got a dozen of the V1 and V1x as a tourney gift yesterday, and played most of the day with the Pro V1, alternating with my Tour BX. Off the driver, I definitely noticed a difference in feel. A handful were as good as I could hit them, and each time I reacted poorly because it felt like a mishit. The ball doesn't give you a lot of feedback when hit full out. Wind performance was nice, but compared to the BX I was definitely hitting the ball higher. Weird since most have reported the new one to have a lower ball flight. Short game wise, the V1 checks up like madman and I paid for that when hitting longer bump and runs. I did not account for how much more the ball bites versus the check and release of the BX. I had more than a few full wedges and short irons spin back on me in a bad way. That being said, the greens were very receptive and usually play much, much firmer than they did yesterday. 

I hope to try the V1x soon, but I don't think the '21 ProV1 is a good fit for me. 

• Like 2

SIM2 9*, Diamana ZF 70TX

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

Flash SZ 18°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

On 10/12/2021 at 5:17 PM, GooseHook said:

I got a dozen of the V1 and V1x as a tourney gift yesterday, and played most of the day with the Pro V1, alternating with my Tour BX. Off the driver, I definitely noticed a difference in feel. A handful were as good as I could hit them, and each time I reacted poorly because it felt like a mishit. The ball doesn't give you a lot of feedback when hit full out. Wind performance was nice, but compared to the BX I was definitely hitting the ball higher. Weird since most have reported the new one to have a lower ball flight. Short game wise, the V1 checks up like madman and I paid for that when hitting longer bump and runs. I did not account for how much more the ball bites versus the check and release of the BX. I had more than a few full wedges and short irons spin back on me in a bad way. That being said, the greens were very receptive and usually play much, much firmer than they did yesterday. 

I hope to try the V1x soon, but I don't think the '21 ProV1 is a good fit for me. 

How would you compare distance off the tee between the ProV and the BX?

TM MG3 60* HB DG S200

Titleist ProV1

Just now, OspreyCI said:

How would you compare distance off the tee between the ProV and the BX?

BX was the clear winner into headwind. The ProV was no slouch though, I hit several that were as long as any good drive I've had this year.  

• Thanks 1

SIM2 9*, Diamana ZF 70TX

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

Flash SZ 18°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

• 2 weeks later...

The new v1 green won my contest.  The white is nearly as good but not quite for me, can still see where a solid wedge leaves a groove imprint occasionally and it feels a bit different to me.   The green plays all day and the next if you keep it off cart paths.  

I think having the color impregnated in the cover is better than painting something white.   I mean the dimples are pretty much exactly as designed while the painted balls aren’t, the paint changes the edges of the dimples a bit.  It’s in my head that paint changes a few things, I would guess the molds are a bit different to accommodate the changes paint brings from total weight to shape of the dimples, or not, regardless I find myself preferring the green.   Which is a problem as stock seems a bit lower.  

came from last years tp5x after a search for a ball when the new tp5x wasn’t as good in wind to my mind.  Anyways, tried srixons, Bridgestone, and a few others before settling on the proV1 green.   It wasn’t the longest that was pretty much a tie, all the balls are long now but I love the feel and it is the best in the wind for my admittedly shorter game than nearly everyone here.  

now waiting for next years crop, expecting some outstanding marketing but not expecting a better ball.   

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 4-U 

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 52°- 56°- 60º 

Mizuno M-Craft V

Titleist proV1

On 8/27/2021 at 11:19 AM, ferrispgm said:

Has anyone noticed a distance increase switching to the ProV1 vs the X?  I have been a lifelong V1x or Bridgestone Bx player as for years the Prov1 was always dubbed as the shorter and spinny ball.  However, its seems in recent years that's kind of changed somewhat.  I'm a +2 but my driver does tend to go a little high and spin a bit much at times so that's why I'm thinking I may need to switch to the prov1. 

I believe it actually switched in the 2017 version (I could be wrong on the exact year, but it was definitely around then). Originally the ProV1 was the lower flying, but higher higher spin and softer feeling ball where the ProV1x was the Higher flight, lower spin, harder feeling ball. Now the the feel and flight of the balls has stayed the same (softer and lower being the V1 harder and higher being the V1x) but the V1 now spins less than the V1x and it throws a lot of people off. The x was known to be lower spin for so long but that has switched. 

Edited by mdmack

2021 V1 is a ball I will never leave. Does everything I ask of it. It’s the PERFECT ball for me. It’s $2 more a dozen that the BX I loved for over a year. ProV1 is just so darn good. My best rounds have been back to back to back to back to back to back with this ball. 

That’s the post….

TM MG3 60* HB DG S200

Titleist ProV1