Playing Music While Golfing

Should music be banned on the golf course?  

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Low volume music does not bother me in most cases.  There are a couple genres of music that I would not prefer to hear but most music is fine with me.  I have played with people that play music but none are too loud about it.  This makes me focus a bit more on my shot.  It is like the Kevin Costner baseball movie, "For the Love of the Game", when he is on the mound about to start pitching in an inning and says, "Clear the mechanism."  That is what I attempt to do by focusing on the shot at hand and immersing myself in that shot.  I get in a zone and external music, unless I find it horrid, goes away.

• Like 3

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.8°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade 3-E, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°(bent to 52°) / 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

17 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

It seems as if playing music while golfing has become a trend. Me and my Uncle got paired with a couple of guys that had music playing in their cart. I asked them to turn it down on the first hole. They were fine with that. I said I really like the seclusion and sounds of nature when I play. I’m not sure I understand this trend- one of the greatest things about golf is the tranquility. I almost always walk so that if I have a bad round at least I got out in nature and got some exercise. 
Plus, why would I want to be subjected to someone else’s taste in music? Use headphones you egomaniacs! 

I agree, the music is a problem. I have actually been able to clearly hear music and identify songs from 200+ yards on the course.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Low volume music does not bother me in most cases.  There are a couple genres of music that I would not prefer to hear but most music is fine with me.  I have played with people that play music but none are too loud about it.  This makes me focus a bit more on my shot.  It is like the Kevin Costner baseball movie, "For the Love of the Game", when he is on the mound about to start pitching in an inning and says, "Clear the mechanism."  That is what I attempt to do by focusing on the shot at hand and immersing myself in that shot.  I get in a zone and external music, unless I find it horrid, goes away.

Music doesn’t affect my concentration at all- it’s just the lack of courtesy that bothers me more than anything. Why impose when you could easily wear headphones? 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

Music doesn’t affect my concentration at all- it’s just the lack of courtesy that bothers me more than anything. Why impose when you could easily wear headphones? 

I see your point. I am all about music so I suppose my perspective is a bit different. I have not played with anyone who plays music I really don't like. Also, most of the people playing music always asks if it is alright to play music on the first tee and say if it is not they'll turn it off.  Not everyone but a lot do.  I look at it is that it is a free world and as long as the music isn't blaring out like a concert then I just play my game ..... unless it is RAP, HipHop, Techno or Hank Williams (his songs makes Martian's heads explode).  😂

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°(bent to 52°) / 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

13 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

I see your point. I am all about music so I suppose my perspective is a bit different. I have not played with anyone who plays music I really don't like. Also, most of the people playing music always asks if it is alright to play music on the first tee and say if it is not they'll turn it off.  Not everyone but a lot do.  I look at it is that it is a free world and as long as the music isn't blaring out like a concert then I just play my game ..... unless it is RAP, HipHop, Techno or Hank Williams (his songs makes Martian's heads explode).  😂

Yeah- I’m talking about people who don’t ask. Again, it’s a courtesy issue mostly. I was being flippant about the taste in music thing. That said, the course I play is really bucolic, so I would always prefer the sounds of nature. 

It's kind of hard to regard whether or not someone asked when the music you hear clearly enough to sing along with from 200+ yards away.

That happens all the time.

For example at this course recently I clearly heard Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream", A song I actually like coming from the fairway on a hole while I was on the tee on the next hole., from the distance shown.

I knowhow far away it was because I was on the tee and the lake in the bottom right corner is a good landmark.

FC.png

Edited by double_d
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

Same here....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5 Oban Devotion 6/04 or Riptide 60 CB 5.5
Epic Speed 16.5 HZRDUS Smoke im10 70 6.0
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec  6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33”

TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ Chrome Soft TT

When riding in a cart I tend to have music playing.  However the volume is turned down, way down.  I guarantee anyone more than 10 yards away will have difficulty knowing what is being played.  Be more than 20 yards and you probably won't hear it.  I like music playing when I am driving in a cart, or car.  That is a personal preference but it is my preference and I don't need to inundate others with it, even if the music is loved by my playing partners.

• Like 3

I'm used to the sounds of nature out on the course, but don't mind music as long as it's not country or classic but not so loud that I can hear it from 2 fairways over.  I sure as hell don't wanna hear Garth Brooks or Toby Keith singing from 3 fairways over. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

9 minutes ago, brutus27 said:

Hey, haven’t you all noticed, everything is getting louder now. Movies, music, golf fans, Harley Davidsons, Whoopie Goldberg, PXG commercials etc. I’m not condoning it but it’s the way it is now. Luckily I don’t have to play too much public golf and get paired up with douches.

Also don't forget some people on the other side of the computer.  😉

I prefer not having music, but it's not the end of the world if someone want to have it.

My only issues is that it has now spread to guys playing music in tournaments and events where I really want to focus on just my golf. I also wish our club would put some extra restrictions on music for early morning rounds. When I'm dewsweeping, I love a nice quiet round.

Taylormade SIM Max 9 - Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Titleist 818 H2 21 at C4 (22) - MRC Tensei AV White 90 S
Ping i20 4i-PW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

crank it up! One of the modifications I made was putting a Bluetooth sound bar in my cart best decision I ever made. I’d get the Led out and cruise the fairways at 45+. 

towards the end we started letting the crew pimp their rides as well, basically everyone had speakers in the summer time. No one cared or said a word.

….of course we were closed

• Haha 2

Got hooked up once with a guy who was playing music, and it wasn't music I particularly liked (hard rock).  Didn't impact my game at all, but I wondered how he could even enjoy it sounding like it was coming out of a transistor radio.  But as for music on the course overall, It would probably add some enjoyment to my game if it was music I liked, and wouldn't hurt it if it was music I didn't, but that said, I'm in the camp who thinks it's rather discourteous overall, and would prefer it be relegated to earphone use only.  If that keeps you from hearing someone yell 'fore', then that's the risk you take for wanting to bring music to the course.  Perhaps you're music blaring would keep me from hearing 'fore', and I find that far more troublesome.

• Like 2

Personally I like music on the course.  I almost never play it though.  If I’m alone or with just my wife we will sometimes put it on.  I’m always very concerned about someone not enjoying it, so it’s easier to just not play it.  When I’m paired with someone who plays music though, I usually enjoy it. In general I just try not to be too sensitive.  If I let myself I can get upset about people talking in my backswing, walking in my line, not doing all these things I think they should do...but if I just try to remember that it’s a game and they are just trying to have fun I usually can enjoy myself as well.  It’s not how I would ever act myself, but I just try not to be too sensitive.

• Like 1