Playing Music While Golfing

Should music be banned on the golf course?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:38 AM, RobotDoctor said:

Low volume music does not bother me in most cases.  There are a couple genres of music that I would not prefer to hear but most music is fine with me.  I have played with people that play music but none are too loud about it.  This makes me focus a bit more on my shot.  It is like the Kevin Costner baseball movie, "For the Love of the Game", when he is on the mound about to start pitching in an inning and says, "Clear the mechanism."  That is what I attempt to do by focusing on the shot at hand and immersing myself in that shot.  I get in a zone and external music, unless I find it horrid, goes away.

Stealing this! 

• Like 1

I am 45, I play music and have for probably 6 or 7 years.  Ever since the advent of speakers in phones before bluetooth speakers even came around.

I ask on the first tee if the other cart wants me to turn it down.  I do not ask off, because I am not gonna turn it off.  I also have a small ultimate Ears speaker that from 50 yards away I don't have it turned up loud enough for you to hear it. 

I had a team at my last club in our ryder cup type event tell me to turn my music off, I explained that they could find another team to play us because I would not turn it off.  He tried to go into my cart and turn it off, the captains were called and I was ruled OK to play music.  The captain of the team that complained came to me and stated no one liked those two guys and they put them against me because they knew I wouldn't turn it off.

There is a couple of guys at my current club that have asked people to turn off their music, and surprise, no one at the club likes them either.  I have heard the same thing from quite a few people at high end clubs as well.  The guys that ask people to turn music off aren't liked at at least 8 clubs here in Atlanta, but I will say also that I have never dealt with anyone playing their music overly loud to where it is heard in the fairway from the teebox on a par 4 or par 5.

Also, I am not on your lawn so I won't get off of it.

• Sad 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I can live with music on the course at a very rational volume...but why is it always always always classic rock? How many times does one man need to hear Free Bird before it is just background noise? 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

I can live with music on the course at a very rational volume...but why is it always always always classic rock? How many times does one man need to hear Free Bird before it is just background noise? 

I mean....

I did get some looks plying by myself one day, walking, listening to Slayer, but it was a to a reasonable volume.  At the turn the midway ladies thought it was hilarious.  

Of course when they brought out my ordered items, I was listening to dead pres, also got some looks.  

This point is moot... honestly it's a culture thing.  You club and membership is cool with it, or not.  Your playing partners are cool with it, or not.  Public's, you get what you pay for, it'll be a crap shoot. I find it to be enjoyable when I'm in the cart, around the cart but can usually not really hear it when I'm playing.  

Some of these folks here sound like they'd stop their swing if they heard a bird chirp, or a leave fall, or the wind blow.  

Golf is fun, and I listen to music sometimes when I play, sometimes in tourneys too.  If I don't, I don't really mind it either. I also have some adult beverages...yep, in tourneys too.   Not getting paid for golf...thus, I play for fun. 

Interesting how many pros practice with earbuds in...or how they ride in carts and play for fun sometimes....

Music or not...who cares, just don't be a ****head about it.  Or play country music...or pop music...or sweet home alabammer.  😃

Oh, freebird also sucks.  Most overplayed song in history. Other than stairway ...other Skynyrd is fine...other zeppelin is fine.  And bama ruined sweet home for everyone, well excepting themselves. 

War eagle..

.stay thirsty my friends.  

Edited by WarEagleGolf
Add

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

On 8/26/2021 at 12:01 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

I am 45, I play music and have for probably 6 or 7 years.  Ever since the advent of speakers in phones before bluetooth speakers even came around.

I ask on the first tee if the other cart wants me to turn it down.  I do not ask off, because I am not gonna turn it off.  I also have a small ultimate Ears speaker that from 50 yards away I don't have it turned up loud enough for you to hear it. 

I had a team at my last club in our ryder cup type event tell me to turn my music off, I explained that they could find another team to play us because I would not turn it off.  He tried to go into my cart and turn it off, the captains were called and I was ruled OK to play music.  The captain of the team that complained came to me and stated no one liked those two guys and they put them against me because they knew I wouldn't turn it off.

There is a couple of guys at my current club that have asked people to turn off their music, and surprise, no one at the club likes them either.  I have heard the same thing from quite a few people at high end clubs as well.  The guys that ask people to turn music off aren't liked at at least 8 clubs here in Atlanta, but I will say also that I have never dealt with anyone playing their music overly loud to where it is heard in the fairway from the teebox on a par 4 or par 5.

Also, I am not on your lawn so I won't get off of it.

So it's your experience that the people nobody likes are the ones who ask that the music be turned off rather than those who refuse to turn their music off? Interesting.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

So it's your experience that the people nobody likes are the ones who ask that the music be turned off rather than those who refuse to turn their music off? Interesting.

That is exactly my experience and the experience of many others that I work with at their clubs as well.

Let's say you don't like music and I do.  The compromise isn't turning it off or on.  The compromise is turning it down low enough so that you rarely hear it during the round and only if you park close on the tee box or by the green.  

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

On 8/26/2021 at 11:33 PM, nsxguy said:

No need to get off my lawn. You only need to play by the Rules of Golf.

1.2 Standards of Player Conduct

All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

• Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

• Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.

• Taking good care of the course – for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.

You should check to see whether the Committee has adopted a Code of Conduct, as you could get a penalty if you do not follow it.

Them wanting me to turn of my music is distracting to me. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, driveandputtmachine said:

That is exactly my experience and the experience of many others that I work with at their clubs as well.

Let's say you don't like music and I do.  The compromise isn't turning it off or on.  The compromise is turning it down low enough so that you rarely hear it during the round and only if you park close on the tee box or by the green.  

Why not keep it low enough so it doesn’t spill out of the cart rather than your stated 50 yard zone?

And another serious question….why do you play music on the course? What is the benefit?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

6 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Them wanting me to turn of my music is distracting to me. 

Fair enough.

Register your complaint to the official in charge and let him decide. That's one of the reasons he/she is there. high five.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Just now, Shilgy said:

Why not keep it low enough so it doesn’t spill out of the cart rather than your stated 50 yard zone?

And another serious question….why do you play music on the course? What is the benefit?

The 50 yard is when my buddies and I are playing and we all like music and at a decent level.  We also don't want to bother other groups. 

It is played low enough when someone that doesn't like it cannot hear it unless their cart is very close to mine.

Serious answer...I like it, I play better with it.  I have also had issues where the other cart may not being paying enough attention and put clubs away during my swing, but with the low music hum close by they can for the most part be oblivious and it doesn't bother me.

Just now, nsxguy said:

Fair enough.

Register your complaint to the official in charge and let him decide. That's one of the reasons he/she is there. high five.gif

That's what we did and in my post I stated that and I was ruled ok to keep it playing.

I think there is a time and place for music on the course.  

The "back tees" group at my club....we all play music during Thursday Men's Day.....Three weeks ago at our Club Championship qualifier there wasn't a speaker in sight...

be polite on both sides whether playing the music or asking the music is turned off and enjoy the game.

TM Qi10 LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6x- Velocore
TM Stealth+ 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM 23' P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G 

5 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

That's what we did and in my post I stated that and I was ruled ok to keep it playing.

OK, so we're good then. 👍

It might do you well to NOT to mention to anyone that the music helps you play better though. The Rules seem to be a little bit unclear on that point. :classic_wink:

Titleist Pro V1X

7 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

OK, so we're good then. 👍

It might do you well to NOT to mention to anyone that the music helps you play better though. The Rules seem to be a little bit unclear on that point. :classic_wink:

I play better with it because it stops the distractions from the other players that pull clubs out and put clubs back in their bag during my swing or are talking and the music more drowns that out.  I should have expanded more on that at the beginning.  TBH I would have never started playing music without this problem.  I have extremely sensitive hearing for what ever reason and I could hear people even when they were trying to be conscious of me hitting a shot. 

People also not turning their phone ringers off, or leaving them on vibrate to rattle in their cart.  The clubs, rings, and talking happened a few times in one round, and during the next I played music on my phone and even though many similar things happened it didn't bother me nearly as much, so it became a thing for me at that point.

Edited by driveandputtmachine

10 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

The 50 yard is when my buddies and I are playing and we all like music and at a decent level.  We also don't want to bother other groups. 

It is played low enough when someone that doesn't like it cannot hear it unless their cart is very close to mine.

Serious answer...I like it, I play better with it.  I have also had issues where the other cart may not being paying enough attention and put clubs away during my swing, but with the low music hum close by they can for the most part be oblivious and it doesn't bother me.

@nsxguythe rule is not unclear at all.  @driveandputtmachineis violating the rule. Pure and simple.

Rule 4.3

Not Allowed.
    »    Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo

Also, at 50 yards-half a football field- your choice to play music is infringing on other groups. Most courses that means every time you pull up to the green the next tee can easily be subjected to your choice of music.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I play better with it because it stops the distractions from the other players that pull clubs out and put clubs back in their bag during my swing or are talking and the music more drowns that out.  TBH I would have never started playing music without this problem.  I have extremely sensitive hearing for what ever reason and I could hear people even when they were trying to be conscious of me hitting a shot. 

People also not turning their phone ringers off, or leaving them on vibrate to rattle in their cart.  The clubs, rings, and talking happened a few times in one round, and during the next I played music on my phone and even though many similar things happened it didn't bother me nearly as much, so it became a thing for me at that point.

Many other have hearing as “sensitive” as yours.  Why should they be subjected to your tunes distracting their play?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

@nsxguythe rule is not unclear at all.  @driveandputtmachineis violating the rule. Pure and simple.

Rule 4.3

Not Allowed.
    »    Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo

Also, at 50 yards-half a football field- your choice to play music is infringing on other groups. Most courses that means every time you pull up to the green the next tee can easily be subjected to your choice of music.

Helping with swing tempo is the ambiguous part. Music may help people relax. That isn’t technically helping them with swing tempo. Something that would help swing tempo would be swinging to the beat of the music.  

Edited by MPAndreassi

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

13 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Rule 4.3

Not Allowed.

Well until they allow me to replay a shot when someone puts their clubs into their bag in the middle of my swing or laughs or their phone goes off I will continue to play music.  You can quote whatever rule you want, and sure when I play in an am qualifier or the like I am not playing music, but during our tournament rounds at my club no one cares, other than a few minority, and the club has already ruled that is allowed in our events. - see previous post where I pointed this out.

It is NOT infringing on other groups at my club due to our distances between tees and greens, and the fact they from 50 yards (On the couple of holes in our 27 where there is less than 50 yards between them) could probably tell we had music on, but not what the song is or even the genre of music.

17 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Many other have hearing as “sensitive” as yours.  Why should they be subjected to your tunes distracting their play?

Now you are just trying to be a contrarian.  They should be subjected because our club has allowed it, if you actually read my previous posts you would see it was ruled as allowed.

When ANYONE has asked if I can turn it down, I always do.  I either park farther away from the tee when we are teeing off or turn it down when they hit and back to a very normal level when I hit so their putting clubs back in their bag or phone ringing when I swing or their loud talking doesn't disturb me.  As soon as I am allowed to re play a shot because they are inconsiderate to their playing partners or competitors I won't be so adamant about playing music.

You are not changing my mind and I am done responding to you, welcome to ignore list.

55 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I play better with it because it stops the distractions from the other players that pull clubs out and put clubs back in their bag during my swing or are talking and the music more drowns that out.  I should have expanded more on that at the beginning.  TBH I would have never started playing music without this problem.  I have extremely sensitive hearing for what ever reason and I could hear people even when they were trying to be conscious of me hitting a shot. 

This is an interesting justification...sort of like saying "The first scratch on my new car really got to me, so now I just run into things constantly." 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

53 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I have extremely sensitive hearing for what ever reason and I could hear people even when they were trying to be conscious of me hitting a shot.

Hearing can be a strange thing.

I actually have been tested and have a little hearing loss. Nothing severe. And I've known it for a number of years now.

That said, I can certainly hear music from quite a distance, even music played at very low(?) volume. Lots of sounds on the golf course are background noise. Play music though and it definitely stands out; at least to me it does.

We called it "rabbit ears" at my old club - some players had it worse than others. For one guy I literally held my breath while he was hitting. :classic_laugh:

Shilgy mentioned 50 yards. I would agree with that even for music played fairly quietly.

With your sensitive hearing I'm sure you realize that others have hearing just as sensitive, maybe even more so. 

Titleist Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Hearing can be a strange thing.

I actually have been tested and have a little hearing loss. Nothing severe. And I've known it for a number of years now.

That said, I can certainly hear music from quite a distance, even music played at very low(?) volume. Lots of sounds on the golf course are background noise. Play music though and it definitely stands out; at least to me it does.

We called it "rabbit ears" at my old club - some players had it worse than others. For one guy I literally held my breath while he was hitting. :classic_laugh:

Shilgy mentioned 50 yards. I would agree with that even for music played fairly quietly.

With your sensitive hearing I'm sure you realize that others have hearing just as sensitive, maybe even more so. 

I am sure others can have sensitive hearing.  This is why if someone asks me to turn it down(it is not loud at all when it's not just a group of my close buddies) I do and when we are on the tee I will either park a bit further away, or turn it down to where it could barely be heard in the cart while they are hitting.  In the fairway I keep it turned down unless they pull up to me while I am hitting and their balls are not close by.

I am not a heathen and I am not a jackass, so if someone doesn't like it at all and aren't complete jackasses about it, I will pause or turn down to where it isn't heard when they hit.  If they act like a complete jack a** then I am less likely to turn it down really low or pause it when they hit.  Now mind you I don't turn it up loud, it is the point where they might hear music from 15 feet away, but would not be able to tell the song, words or genre.

If you can be nice about it, so can I.  If you are a jack a** about it, well then I will be too.

On a side note, my golf course runs through a neighborhood with many pools at the houses, and most of the time on the weekends I don't even have to turn on music as I hear it from at least one house on every hole from around their pool.   There is maybe five holes out of 27 where I have never heard music from an adjacent house.  Some of these houses play the music VERY LOUD, to the point where it annoys even me because I heard the music on the teebox 400 yards away, and on the green it is horribly loud.   I am not out riding the course with my ECOXGEAR boulder 100W speaker blaring music, I am playing it on a small UE speaker that is maybe at 1 out of 10 on it's volume when playing with guys who don't really like music, and maybe a 4 on holes when playing with friends that do.

1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Now you are just trying to be a contrarian.  They should be subjected because our club has allowed it, if you actually read my previous posts you would see it was ruled as allowed.

When ANYONE has asked if I can turn it down, I always do.  I either park farther away from the tee when we are teeing off or turn it down when they hit and back to a very normal level when I hit so their putting clubs back in their bag or phone ringing when I swing or their loud talking doesn't disturb me.  As soon as I am allowed to re play a shot because they are inconsiderate to their playing partners or competitors I won't be so adamant about playing music.

You are not changing my mind and I am done responding to you, welcome to ignore list.

Now I’m ignored and you finally said something agreeable.  Previous posts said nothing about turning it down if asked. 

So thank you for that even though you won’t see this reply..🙂

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 5:22 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

where it annoys even me because I heard the music on the teebox 400 yards away

So we establish that music while golfing is a matter of numbers. For you; that number is 400 yards. For others that is 50 yards. I hope with that you can find some sympathy for those who get frustrated and don't ask you as politely as you'd prefer. Because in their mind, "you started it", to put it into playground terminology.

Edited by Rocky Ball-boa
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

On 8/30/2021 at 10:40 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

WRONG.  The compromise is you turn your music off if asked when someone's on the tee and turn it back on after they hit.  It's not your decision how low is proper if others can still hear it.  

• Like 4

Read my posts, instead of just shooting off at the mouth reading on some parts.  When someone asks and isn't all uppity about it, I say that I will park away from the tee or completely off when they hit.  So I am RIGHT>

13 hours ago, cristphoto said:

WRONG.  The compromise is you turn your music off if asked when someone's on the tee and turn it back on after they hit.  It's not your decision how low is proper if others can still hear it.  

39 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Read my posts, instead of just shooting off at the mouth reading on some parts.  When someone asks and isn't all uppity about it, I say that I will park away from the tee or completely off when they hit.  So I am RIGHT>

And what happens if they are all "uppity" about it ? :classic_blink:

Titleist Pro V1X