Change Business Trip to Golf near Philly Airport Area?

shadymg

I know I should have thought about this earlier, but I have a business trip next week, with a flight out of Philly back to CA early AM on Tuesday. SHOULD I reschedule my flight for an evening flight, and then play a course near philadelphia airport during the morning instead?

If so, what are some good courses to look for??? Not sure why I didn't think of this before \*shame on me\*

Fwiw I Will have rental car, and be traveling from-to Lancaster, PA during trip as well, so i could change hotel to be anywhere between Lancaster and PHL airport as well if there's a great course worth checking out

UPDATE: I ended up playing Glen Mill Golf Course, and the conditions were spectacular. Which is good, because I was surprised public green fees were $85, and they basically seemed to require Carts. But the course was in terrific shape, and I enjoyed it immensely. Helped I got paired with some folks who play at Winnecote normally but were a lot of fun. Quite a challenging course, so many multiple tier greens. No birdies, but an absolute blast. Can't thank everyone enough for all the reco's!

Edited by shadymg

Jeffersonville or Glen Mills would be worth checking out. Glen Mills being maybe 30 minutes from the airport and Jeffersonville about 45 minutes. Definitely and check the tee time situation at Jville before making any plans because the place is always packed and last I remember, isn't very single-friendly (can't book online, only by phone or in person on very short notice or something along those lines).  Otherwise in my opinion there isn't much in terms of public courses within 45 minutes of the airport worth a visitor changing a flight for or lugging their clubs along for just one round on. 

Might be worth seeing if LuLu Country Club is still doing their "member for a day" thing for the public on weekdays, it's even further NE from the airport compared to Jville (50 minutes?) but an excellent golf course.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Jeffersonville or Glen Mills would be worth checking out. Glen Mills being maybe 30 minutes from the airport and Jeffersonville about 45 minutes. Definitely and check the tee time situation at Jville before making any plans because the place is always packed and last I remember, isn't very single-friendly (can't book online, only by phone or in person on very short notice or something along those lines).  Otherwise in my opinion there isn't much in terms of public courses within 45 minutes of the airport worth a visitor changing a flight for or lugging their clubs along for just one round on. 

Thank you! I was able to find an older thread in here where it does seem that Glen Mills is the place to go, so I'll give them a call when i land (from another trip) to see about getting on. Probably still makes me crazy given I'll probably have to do a same-day flight change and might not be able to , in which case I lugged my bag for nothing but.......I mean......golf 🙂 I'm sure i'll have another chance, so I'll plan better and then schedule Jeffersonville for the next trip! THanks

I’ll pile on for Glen Mills and add a second for Wyncote. 

Glen Mills is one of my favorite public’s in the Philly area. 

Wyncote is a links style course, I’ve only been out there once and it was still winter basically. Planning a trip back out there for the fall. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Lived in Philadelphia and found it to be really lacking in public golf. Wyncote is a winner but quite a haul from the city, but from where you’ll be it’s not too bad. I don’t think it’s a change-your-flight course but depends on badly that scratch needs itching.  Always heard raves about GM but never managed to get there myself for one reason or another. 

My two cents.  Not from the area, but my family lives in Chester county near West Chester and Kennett Sq.  Played Loch Nairn, Wyncote, Glenn Mills and Rock Manor.  Played Rock Manor and Glenn Mills a few weeks ago and the conditions were excellent at both.  Rock Manor is in Wilmington, DE, but right off of I-95 and maybe 25 minutes to the Philly Airport.  Glenn Mills is near Thornton, PA and about 30 minutes to the airport.

Wyncote is a nice track, but far from the airport, about an hour.  It is the closest to Lancaster though.

My vote, of the above three, would be Glenn Mills.  It is a challenging course that rewards good shot play and requires some good course/hole management.  Next would be Rock Manor only because of of it's easy access to I-95 and the airport.  Solid track, but nowhere as challenging as Glenn Mills.  Wyncote is a great track, very links like and a harder play than Rock, but not as hard as Glenn Mills.

Really can't go wrong for any of them, but for bang for the buck, a good challenge, access to the airport, etc.  Glenn Mills.

• Like 1

Play Mills or head across the bridge and play Riverwinds, which is directly across the river from PHL and has some cool views of the skyline on the back 9. Has been in good shape over the last year or two.

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

Scotland Run over in NJ is just as far as Glen Mills and I think is a much more playable course.  Glen Mills has two to three garbage holes.   No offense but I would avoid Riverwinds, not a great course.  Springfiled Country Club (public) is decent would be really close to PHL.  

Edited by tw422

11 minutes ago, tw422 said:

Scotland Run over in NJ is just as far as Glen Mills and I think is a much more playable course.  Glen Mills has two to three garbage holes.   No offense but I would avoid Riverwinds, not a great course.  Springfiled Country Club (public) is decent would be really close to PHL.  

lol which ones were the garbage holes?

I think #'s 6, 11 and 17 are bad holes - 2 short and overly tight Par 5's where you almost should hit iron off the tee.  #17 shouldn't be a par 5.  You could even throw #8 in there too.  That green is just ridiculous - if you lay up it's almost impossible to hold a wedge and if you bomb a driver down you almost have to putt it up the hill.  I get the idea but green is not good for the design of the hole.....

9 minutes ago, tw422 said:

I think #'s 6, 11 and 17 are bad holes - 2 short and overly tight Par 5's where you almost should hit iron off the tee.  #17 shouldn't be a par 5.  You could even throw #8 in there too.  That green is just ridiculous - if you lay up it's almost impossible to hold a wedge and if you bomb a driver down you almost have to putt it up the hill.  I get the idea but green is not good for the design of the hole.....

i should've talked to you before playing! lol. I ended up playing from the Whites since that's where the folks i was playing with were, and it was a mistake. I had no confidence on club choice due to the hazards if i went with driver (i'm not a bomber, but still came into play). One thing i learned....apparently the hot/humidity impacts distance a lot compared to Southern California golf. All my clubs were going about 1 club length less!!! I thought it was my swing at first lol. Whoops!

definitely, I live in SoCal (moved her from PA 6 yrs ago) and there is a noticeable difference.  it gets so hot/muggy there in the summer . You can play back tees there if you are used to white/blues (6000-6500) becuase the med holes are not that long and the par 5's are otherwise boring.  don't get me wrong i like Glen Mills a lot and think the great holes outnumber the bad the ones but those 2-3 holes keep it from being a great public course.  conditioning is great and I've always found the greens to be excellent too.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 1:54 PM, shadymg said:

One thing i learned....apparently the hot/humidity impacts distance a lot compared to Southern California golf. All my clubs were going about 1 club length less!!! I thought it was my swing at first lol. Whoops!

Misconception here regarding air density -  Humid air is LESS dense than dry air.  The ball should have traveled further on the carry.  Maybe there was less rollout.

Glad you liked GM.  I only played it once and it a challenge and I will play again.

Edited by Pearson10M
  • Like 1