2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

A round that I expect from a sandbagger......

Under2hours

I am one of those mid-HC'ers (12-15) that is always posting scores in and around my HC.  Usually something is off in the game, but usually Pars & Bogeys, a double here & there and dreaded 3 putts.  Pretty boring stuff.

What always makes me raise an eyebrow is the golfer posting the same scores, but they are the result of wildly fluctuating scores hole to hole.  You know the golfer....  The one who looks like he should be shooting 75, but shoots 83, with 12 GIRs, but then 7's & 8's too on the scorecard and 3-putts (with misses from 3' that you gave him).....  

I finally had one of those rounds.  Generally I may hit 4 GIRs, an up and down here and there and errant shots too.

Well the other day I hit 10 GIRs (a personal best).  Interspersed was 3 triples, 3 doubles and a 3-putt.  I putted well and just missed some birdies (made one) and was thrilled with the game, not the score.

Interesting that my driving (short but usually very consistent) let me down (6 of 13 fairways).

So share your unusual rounds.    

I typically hover around 5 or 6 index.

Posted an 87 earlier this year that had 9 pars on the card.

• Confused 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

This is exactly how I play golf most of the time.  I am capable of stringing together a handful of pars in a row then throw down a triple or two right after that. Super frustrating. 

• Like 4

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Until a person gets their swing grooved, erratic holes are rather common.  For the most part, a person may have a section of their game that's on, or progressing downward, while other aspects may be on the fritz.  Which is which can depend.  That can also mean relatively similar finishing scores, too.

On the other hand, Sandbaggers that I've encountered normally card scores in the 80s, have an index that reflects those crazy higher scores, but shows up in an unverified index tournament carding +/- mid-70's.   People with honest 14-18 indexes very seldom card 76-77, least of all during a tournament.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

36 minutes ago, Under2hours said:

The one who looks like he should be shooting 75, but shoots 83, with 12 GIRs, but then 7's & 8's too on the scorecard and 3-putts (with misses from 3' that you gave him).....  

You've got it backwards. Gimmie putts are one of, if not the biggest contribution to vanity caps. 

I played in an outing recently and was paired with a guy who pretty clearly never putts it out on a regular basis. He finished middle of the pack gross and dead last net thanks to his vanity cap after having about 6 3 putts and one 4 putt. 

• Like 1

My handicap has crept up to 9. Occasionally, I will still get a good round in the mid 70s. If there is a new and creative way to make a bogey, I am your guy.  I call it an extended slump.  Ha ha. 

A few years ago, I played a net qualifier event for a tournament on my association's schedule. The winners were two 10s who shot 71 and 72.  Talk about sandbaggers. 

• Like 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

48 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

You've got it backwards. Gimmie putts are one of, if not the biggest contribution to vanity caps. 

100%. Many of my friends would be +2 shots higher on their caps if they putted everything out. Pretty much every competitive round I play I find that the 2-4 footers are the most stressful shots. They have become somewhat less stressful since I stopped accepting gimmies in the last few years. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I had a tournament round earlier this year where every hole i got either an incredibly lucky break, or an incredibly unlucky one. It was easily the weirdest round i've ever played

I hit great shots that would clip a lone tree branch and ricochet sideways into water. I got one of the worst lies in golf history that resulted in a whiff etc...

But this was always followed on the next hole by a great break.

I shot 80, didn't have a single normal hole. I felt like i could've shot 72 or 90 if a few bounces went the other way

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Agree on putting out, most of my friends do "gimmies" and it really does not help you in any appreciable way, other than speeding up the round. Further if you are cagey and playing with a group of people who like gimmies you can give a few, and then in a critical moment - not give it.  This always generates a little tension and sometimes can win you a hole.

I'm a 13.0 handicap and I can easily string together 9 holes near par and follow that up with 9 holes at 15 over  par to more or less stay in range of my current handicap. It is like clockwork.

In a stroke play event, I am always worthless because I will shoot right around my course number, for no net gain. The good holes and bad holes do not typically coincide with the hole handicap, it has more to do with; do I lash my driver into some very unfortunate spot or OB, or do I get it fairway/fairway adjacent?

Because of the above, I am a great Ham and Egg teammate in team events. I will whip you out a birdie on the #1 handicap hole and then on some straight 325 yard par 4, card a triple , maybe 2 in a row.  I actually went though an accounting the other day of how many different courses I have "Money on the books" from some tournament and I could only think of one of them that was an individual event.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RmoorePE said:

Agree on putting out, most of my friends do "gimmies" and it really does not help you in any appreciable way, other than speeding up the round. Further if you are cagey and playing with a group of people who like gimmies you can give a few, and then in a critical moment - not give it.  This always generates a little tension and sometimes can win you a hole.

Yep.  I've seen that, even used that technique during pvt interclub match play tournaments.  Give an opponent 4-5 putts, and hope he's unsettled when he faces a key putt; it works against a lot of opponents, too.  Match play is mostly tactics and mental.

In many of my casual rounds where no $$$ are involved, I seldom putt out flat 3 footers.  Mostly because they are regularly practiced in my office and not going to make a hill of difference to my score or index, but POP does matter.  When it matters, it's a different story. 

In and around the greens are where the greatest amount of time is squandered by most POP culprits; bunker shots, chipping and measuring up putts for a .50 skin.  Last weekend we watched four lard azz slow-pokes squatting down to measure putts from every which way, then watched them miss 1-3' footers.  They could have just as well picked up and moved on.  I can almost understand if it's a $20-$50 skin pot, but most are for piddly bucks...LOL

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

On 7/23/2021 at 4:40 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Yep.  I've seen that, even used that technique during pvt interclub match play tournaments.  Give an opponent 4-5 putts, and hope he's unsettled when he faces a key putt; it works against a lot of opponents, too.  Match play is mostly tactics and mental.

In many of my casual rounds where no $$$ are involved, I seldom putt out flat 3 footers.  Mostly because they are regularly practiced in my office and not going to make a hill of difference to my score or index, but POP does matter.  When it matters, it's a different story. 

In and around the greens are where the greatest amount of time is squandered by most POP culprits; bunker shots, chipping and measuring up putts for a .50 skin.  Last weekend we watched four lard azz slow-pokes squatting down to measure putts from every which way, then watched them miss 1-3' footers.  They could have just as well picked up and moved on.  I can almost understand if it's a $20-$50 skin pot, but most are for piddly bucks...LOL

To each their own but i've never really agreed on the strategy of giving guys putts early in the match and then not giving them later. Holes won early in the match count the same as holes won later --So if a guy sucks at putting , make him putt everything all round. You only increase your chance at winning if you are a better putter than him. Why give him anything ever (5 inch putts notwithstanding)

I'm a fairly pleasant person to play with in that i'm nice, make small talk etc....even in matches or tournaments with strangers. I told my caddy recently that i've been lucky in that i've gotten groups with good guys most of the time --His response was "maybe it's just that you're nice, so it helps"

That being said, i don't give a lot of putts. And if i make a guy putt a 2-footer and he makes it, i'll literally tell him "hey i know that was a close one, but i just figure we'll putt those sorry".

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just yesterday on the back 9 of a tournament round I started:

#10 - a 9 (+5) including a 2 stroke pen for hitting a wrong ball...long story!

#11 - 5(+2)...my mind was still blank after hitting the wrong ball

Then 7 straight pars to finish out the round

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

My usual round is mostly bogies with a few pars and the occasional double or two, and the rare birdie.

As for gimmies, my playing partners all know I like to putt pretty much everything out during casual rounds.  In my league, I'll take gimmies when offered and give them as appropriate, but always warn my opponent beforehand that they'd be wise to not give me anything over a foot.

A guy that looks like he should be shooting in 70s and is shooting in 80s might very well be valid. I think I fall in that boat. I am coming off a bad elbow injury and just started to play again. My elbow is still not great (70% recovered) and the golf course feels foreign compared to the range just because I haven't played much for the past couple of years. Been hitting the ball decent on the range, but horrible on the course. Mental block from protecting my arm and just comfort level.  I should be shooting easily in 70s but am shooting in 80s. Was scratch before, now about 10 handicap.  

FYI: No gimmes allowed in posting scores.

25 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

A guy that looks like he should be shooting in 70s and is shooting in 80s might very well be valid. I think I fall in that boat. I am coming off a bad elbow injury and just started to play again. My elbow is still not great (70% recovered) and the golf course feels foreign compared to the range just because I haven't played much for the past couple of years. Been hitting the ball decent on the range, but horrible on the course. Mental block from protecting my arm and just comfort level.  I should be shooting easily in 70s but am shooting in 80s. Was scratch before, now about 10 handicap.  

Yea, yea, yea.....  Always coming from scratch players......😉

That's fodder for another thread.  You have an excuse and frankly shouldn't be playing matches or skins, where HC's are factored in as you are capable of stringing together pars & birdies. 

Here it is about the scorecard that doesn't seem right and my post was specific to the round where I hit a PB 10 GIR's, putted well (one three-putt), but then had very uncharacteristic Doubles & Triples on my scorecard, so a ho-hum score.  

12 minutes ago, RCGA said:

Try being a 2hcp'er 

Ball striking isn't there and you string off 3 bogies to start. You try to force birdies and all of a sudden you're 9 over through 9 and people are calling you a vanity handicaper. 

People calling out players as sandbaggers or vanity handicappers. Nowadays, there seems to be no in between just like politics. 😂 Just got to decide which one you want to be. 😂🤣😂 

23 minutes ago, RCGA said:

Try being a 2hcp'er 

Ball striking isn't there and you string off 3 bogies to start. You try to force birdies and all of a sudden you're 9 over through 9 and people are calling you a vanity handicaper. 

I can spot a 2HC'er by their swing and demeaner very quickly.  A couple of bad holes (or a 9) won't have me calling you a Vanity Cap.....😆  

As said this is aimed at the 15, who easily can shoot in the 70's, but then also is putting up 95's..... 

Sandbaggers don't post those good rounds. Only post the rounds that keep them several strokes higher than they can normally shoot. 

the only time I came across a SB'er (pretty obvious) was him clunking along just a stroke or two more than me each hole until he asked to play for a few $$$ to "keep his interest in the game". Yeah... no.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

To each their own but i've never really agreed on the strategy of giving guys putts early in the match and then not giving them later. Holes won early in the match count the same as holes won later --So if a guy sucks at putting , make him putt everything all round. You only increase your chance at winning if you are a better putter than him. Why give him anything ever (5 inch putts notwithstanding)

I'm a fairly pleasant person to play with in that i'm nice, make small talk etc....even in matches or tournaments with strangers. I told my caddy recently that i've been lucky in that i've gotten groups with good guys most of the time --His response was "maybe it's just that you're nice, so it helps"

That being said, i don't give a lot of putts. And if i make a guy putt a 2-footer and he makes it, i'll literally tell him "hey i know that was a close one, but i just figure we'll putt those sorry".

I've done it both ways. 

My impression is giving putts yearly can prove problematic later for anyone that isn't comfortable with their putting when pressure mounts in the match, and the outcome affects the team score.  Putts then have a double-whammy.  The other influence has been pvt's clubs in my area don't have many low digit or + indexes, so it was common to play against high single or 10-14 handi.  Some clubs are lucky to have 2-3 low single digit players.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

2 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

It happens. I am a 1 HCP and have the odd 80 something round once in a while. Its a nice step in progression when you can play like complete trash and still scrape together a mid 70 though. 

Once every 10 rounds or so I seem to fall apart. I find it is usually after playing a bunch of golf consecutive days in a row that I just get mentally fatigued and need to take some time off. Easily frustrated on the course, forcing shots which lead to bad decision making, etc. 

I play with some guys on the Mackenzie tour and a few other pro's. Trust me, they all have bad rounds, go OB, cant hit driver some days, cant sink a putt. It is the same game for everyone. 

On 7/23/2021 at 12:28 PM, trilerian said:

This is exactly how I play golf most of the time.  I am capable of stringing together a handful of pars in a row then throw down a triple or two right after that. Super frustrating. 

Exactly, my round yesterday- triple, par, par, triple, triple, par, par, bogey( grrr-3 putted on par 5), bogey, bogey, par, double, par, triple, par, bogey, par, par....

Shot 88 (par 70)...with 4 triples??? 9 pars....sigh...

Such a weird game....

M

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Most of my rounds this season consist of pretty solid golf for 15-16 holes, and then doubles or triples for the remainder. I've had several rounds where I'll shoot an 80 with two to three doubles on the card. And they're usually caused by dumb mental mistakes, or loss of focus. So the golfer you're describing sounds a lot like me. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I am fall into this category. I am a streaky golfer, and I can have days all over the place. Over the past 5 seasons I've shot from 73-109, so anything is possible. Had a few rounds with 0 pars in them.  

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

On 7/26/2021 at 10:27 AM, Under2hours said:

As said this is aimed at the 15, who easily can shoot in the 70's, but then also is putting up 95's..... 

I had a round like this... Prior to the round, I was a 24.3. This round all by itself dropped me to a 20.4. 

It was a par 60 course, and I walked away with 3 birdies, 6 pars, 6 bogeys, and 3 doubles, for a 69. Round of my life. Really happy that there were no blow up holes, and prior to that round I'd never carded more than one birdie in a single round. 

Anyone who saw me in this round knowing I came in as a 24 would think I was sandbagging. Luckily I was playing with my normal buddies who know how bad I can be, so they recognized that I was just on fire. 

My next round at that course I shot a 91, which would have been the equivalent of 103 on a par-72 course. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

My rounds look like an EKG. My cap right now is a 7, up from a low of 6.1 last year. Last year I shot two rounds of 90 and two sub par rounds. I have days where I could not hit the ocean from the beach with my driver if my life depended on it. It’s awful especially mentally when I go off the rails and it gets worse and worse no matter what I try. I usually wind up with the zips by the turn. Then I will have a day where nothing goes wrong at all or days where I’m physically swinging putting well but just can’t get the score out of the round that I should. The former is bliss and produces really clean scorecards while the latter is a roller coaster ride that could see anything at all show up on the card that day. 

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

On 7/26/2021 at 1:07 PM, tacklingdummy said:

People calling out players as sandbaggers or vanity handicappers. Nowadays, there seems to be no in between just like politics. 😂 Just got to decide which one you want to be. 😂🤣😂 

One round does not make either, but when Mr Net 65 shows up several times, you know something is going on.

• Like 1