Coaching HS Golf advice

I am coaching a newly formed HS golf team this upcoming season.  I've coached basketball and baseball in the past but never golf.  I'm open for advice on all aspects of coaching golf... specifically ideas for practice and some insight on how the HS matches are run, although any input would be appreciated.  

Titleist TS2 Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5-6

Srixon Z785 7-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Here's what my son's HS team does.

1. The coach has arranged with the team's home course for "free" rounds starting approximately 6 weeks before the HS season starts.  I say "free" because there is no charge to the players, but since it's a resort course, I'm guessing the school district is paying for it.  The players usually play 3 rounds/week in the late afternoon under this arrangement.  Prior to Covid, the HS's home course was a private club, but the membership decided to close play to all outsiders during the pandemic.  The course is still closed to outsiders.  The coach was able to secure the new home course over the winter.  I don't know if he could have done it without a good relationship/reputation among the golfing community already built up prior to Covid.  
  2. The coach secured funds from the school district and built an indoor practice facility in what used to be an elementary school cafeteria.  The facility has a number of hitting-into-a-net stations, a huge artificial putting/chipping green, and a trackman station where the kids play simulated rounds on famous courses.  This is open during the off-season for the players.  With the trackman, it's a pretty decent/cool set-up.  I still can't believe that the school district paid for this.  We're not a rich or big district, but I think the coach has some pull.
  3. Coach doesn't have cuts.  He allows all to play, practice, and compete for spots when the season starts.  He usually brings 8 players to matches with top 5 scores counting.
  4. Coach doesn't officially have technique or strategy practices.  He may give the odd tip or two.  He may set up little chipping games over the winter in the new facility, but there is surprisingly little formal effort to build a better swing among the players.  Sounds like other coaches commenting here are similar.  Maybe because so many of the players have their own teachers.  I would like to see more formal competitive practices and games, but I'm not coach.  I do know that my son and other players play chipping and putting games for money.  My wife disapproves, but I think having skin in the game while practicing is healthy and builds a better golfer.  Not sure if coach knows or turns a blind eye to this activity.  
  5. Coach informs the players of local competitions that he wants them to participate in.  The school will even sponsor a player or two in some of the more well-established competitions where they represent the school. 
  6. Other than that, it's pretty laid back.  We usually have one or two good golfers each year, but we can't really compete with the bigger, richer districts in terms of having a pool of really good players.  We just don't have enough kids, but I've been happy with coach's ability to get the team on a good home course and making sure that the players have the facilities necessary to get better on their own. 

I've always thought it would be cool to coach HS golf.  Good luck.    

• Thanks 1

Here in sw pa there is little time for coaching.  1st practice is aug 16, one week later is 1st section play on aug 23rd. First scrimmage is aug 19 …hardly enough time for “coaching”.    

are you making cuts?  New program might not field enough kids to make cuts so allows you more time to work w what you have.  

you can’t mess w the kids whose parents pay for lessons, from the sounds of it your not a pga pro, so you aren’t going to be coaching them.

the kids who are new to golf, you don’t have have enough time to make a noticeable difference.

work on rules, work on etiquette, work on preparation.   Lighten the bags as much as possible.

our schedule is usually every other day you have a match,  so on the off days you coach what happened in the last match, introduce another rule, putt and chip until they are blue in the face.  Send em out for 9….  The good kids go out first, which gives you 15-20 more minutes to work w the beginners.

im not negative I’m a realist…you have a chance to be an influence on them for the rest of their lives,  build a team atmosphere, give kids a chance to lead and grow to love this game. Excercise excellent manners, learn to lose, learn to win and do both with grace. Have a year end banquet where you can recognize all their talents. 

above all… enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

For someone that isn't a seasoned golf coach, @iteachgolf has offered solid advice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Titleist TS2, 9.5, Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd, Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

6 hours ago, dgarland said:

Coming from a basketball background I’m used to practice every day. Is this the norm in golf?

No idea, it varies even within states, depends on the coach.  You haven't said boys or girls - can be a world of difference.  I'd reach out to the folks at your state high school golf association and maybe pick the brains of some nearby coaches at other schools, I'll bet some may be willing to help/mentor on coaching.  

Again, who knows how it works in other states, with schedules and so on, but of course you should have practice, whatever your school rules allow (and state or conference rules allow when there are tournaments).  You need to get the kids together on a consistent basis and out playing, chipping, putting, simply being involved and having a place to meet and experience being part of the team, whatever, when there aren't meets to attend.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Thanks 1

"We've got that holiday feeling!"

6 hours ago, dgarland said:

Coming from a basketball background I’m used to practice every day. Is this the norm in golf?

When I was on a HS team,  we had practice every day (or a match). We got out on the course in maybe half of the practices. The big variable is what kind of deal you have struck with your home course, regarding access.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dgarland As a basketball/baseball coach, you're probably coming into golf thinking about "practice" way differently than you should. For a high school golf team, practicing is going out and playing 9 or 18 holes.

Try to have at least 4-5 qualifiers (9 or 18 hole rounds where you can get a total scoring average for every player) before your first match. This will determine your starting 5/6. Then, if time allows have a few more qualifiers between matches where the scoring average is reset so everyone has a chance to make the starting lineup at least once if possible. 

If you want you can have one day a week where everyone just works on the range and putting/chipping greens, but your main focus should be getting them out on the course and playing as much as you can. 

Also, as others have mentioned you shouldn't really be doing any real coaching with golf. Your responsibility is to make sure everyone knows the rules, acts responsibly, and has fun. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

@dgarland As a basketball/baseball coach, you're probably coming into golf thinking about "practice" way differently than you should. For a high school golf team, practicing, is going out and playing 9 or 18 holes.

Try to have at least 4-5 qualifiers (9 or 18 hole rounds where you can get a total scoring average for every player) before your first match. This will determine your starting 5/6. Then, if time allows have a few more qualifiers between matches where the scoring average is reset so everyone has a chance to make the starting lineup at least once if possible. 

If you want you can have one day a week where everyone just works on the range and putting/chipping greens, but your main focus should be getting them out on the course and playing as much as you can. 

Also, as others have mentioned you shouldn't really be doing any real coaching with golf. Your responsibility is to make sure everyone knows the rules, acts responsibly, and has fun. 

^^^^^ This....  I would have them spend more time playing as a HS Golf Coach.  I do think it is important to have them working station drills putting/chipping at least twice a week.  It might only be 20 minutes chipping and 20 minutes putting then go play.  I believe there has to be a structure to what they are doing to get better.  A HS coach can make their players better without teaching them any fundamental skill.  It does not take a Teaching Golf Professional to make the players better.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

^^^^^ This....  I would have them spend more time playing as a HS Golf Coach.  I do think it is important to have them working station drills putting/chipping at least twice a week.  It might only be 20 minutes chipping and 20 minutes putting then go play.  I believe there has to be a structure to what they are doing to get better.  A HS coach can make their players better without teaching them any fundamental skill.  It does not take a Teaching Golf Professional to make the players better.

both of these plus -

As you determine the kids that are less experience vs the starters.

One idea is to pair up the less exp with the more exp once in a while.  Shows one kid what he should stride for on the team.  Maybe shows the other kid how far he has come.

Son graduated in June, but the Seniors had to take a freshman out with them once a week during a 9 hole practice or range session.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My oldest daughter just finished her High School golf career, and my middle daughter is in it. Although she quit after one match last year, because she got invited into a spring volleyball league (despite shooting the lowest score on the team). Golf coach was pretty upset -volleyball coach was really happy.

Anyway, their coach is a PGA pro and can teach the swing, but he has told me that there is no way to make a kid into a golfer in a group setting. There are too many parts of the game to learn and too little time. Some kids are only there for fun and hanging out with their friends (which is what is great about golf). He will meet with kids before and after practices/matches to help with their swing, but they have to ask for it.

So, he basically has a chipping and putting drill set up for the first 20 minutes or so and then sends kids out. He has set up with the club house for prizes for the drills (go grab a drink or candy bar etc). He changes pairings based on experience or not, but mostly wants the kids to play. Then he and an unpaid assistant drive around the course to teach rules and keep the kids moving along.

He has qualifiers, but has noted that when you tell kids it is qualifier for varsity, some of them get a little free with their pencils. So he typically asks them to keep score and hand in the card for every round, even if they are just playing 5 holes. From these he aggregates his roster. Some kids just pencil whip or announce false scores to make the team and then get embarrassed on the match days. He is pretty perceptive on this, and has really nice ways of pointing out that a kid is cheating (without embarrassing them in front of the team). While it is probably fine with a big competitive roster, this is a small school and he may really need one of these kids on the team so he is careful with his words. 

I think the most important thing is to make it fun, and try and get a couple kids hooked on the game. Once you get a few kids who are practicing and playing outside of the school setting, you can field a competitive team. 

• Thanks 1

Solid.. 

On 7/24/2021 at 8:54 AM, heavy_hitter said:

A good HS coach is a motivator, practice coordinator, and car driver.  Honestly no different than most College Coaches as they aren't teaching swing or mechanics.

Grats! It's fun, and in loose theory, not much diff than coaching most other sports. 

I cover the game - etiquette, rules, sportsmanship, etc. Team building/bonding is a top priority. I really only teach swing mechanics to those who are just starting out or to the more casual team members wanting to get better. Almost all of my top players see someone year round so not much I need to do there. I do not cut, all are welcome, but really only the varsity teams of 6 boys and 4 girls get the lions share of golf during the season. Sometimes I get the the chance to rotate others in, but the season is pretty short. Stats are kept for placement, and anyone can challenge another player to earn that next higher spot. Only the top 5 boys and the top 3 girls travel to tournaments.

I hold practices 3 days a week pre-season, and play on average 2 matches a week during the season with at least one practice day. Practice usually includes short game drills, short game intrasquad competitions, range time, and the option of playing 9 - though rare because of time. 

I'd try to let the other teams host the first couple of matches which will take the pressure off you and you can see how they are run. It's pretty easy but you might find that it's easier to get your kids doing what they need to be doing and where they need to be if you don't have to coordinate all competing teams, especially if they are new to you and you are new to them.

Matches are 9 holes. I play 6 boys and use the lowest 4 scores for their team total, and I play 4 girls and use the lowest 2 scores for their team total. You could play less, but you'd need at least 4 and 2 to make it official. You could also play more if the opportunity presents itself, but you'd need to designate which 6 and 4 you will use for scoring. 

Tournaments are diff in that they are at least 18 and you take 5 boys and 3 girls. Matches are usually after school and tournaments take the whole day. 

Have fun! DM anytime...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.  Another question: as far as qualifying rounds, how many rounds would you take as the season goes on?  I’m thinking of 5 rounds but tournaments would be entered twice as to make them more important.  Then as the season goes on only the 5 most recents count.  Thoughts?

Titleist TS2 Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5-6

Srixon Z785 7-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58

On 7/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, dgarland said:

I am coaching a newly formed HS golf team this upcoming season.  I've coached basketball and baseball in the past but never golf.  I'm open for advice on all aspects of coaching golf... specifically ideas for practice and some insight on how the HS matches are run, although any input would be appreciated.  

LOL...funny you posted this.

The # one thing I can say after a particular thread (which I can send you in person if interested) - is to DOCUMENT clearly the criteria for making the team AND make sure you follow said criteria.  

Other than this, I would say:  build a structured plan for how you will practice/train. And make sure everyone reads and understands it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dgarland said:

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.  Another question: as far as qualifying rounds, how many rounds would you take as the season goes on?  I’m thinking of 5 rounds but tournaments would be entered twice as to make them more important.  Then as the season goes on only the 5 most recents count.  Thoughts?

You will need to leave yourself some wiggle room for coaches choice, maybe as a discipline item and or for building a solid future team

• Thanks 1

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

I've coached HS golf for over 15 years. There is some good advice above. I will give you some other stuff that will help. Tons of companies have discount programs to help HS teams. You need to look into those:

1) Cobra/Puma has a HS program that gives you 40 percent off. You set the account up online yourself.

2) Bushnell has a HS golf program that gives you big discounts on their rangefinders/GPS models. Just call them to get the info.

3)Taylor made has a discount program for HS teams and it runs around 25 percent off. That is on the clubs. They have a team site called Golf Team Products that allows you to get the clothing/shoes at a discount and you get the stuff within a week.

4)Ping has a good program for bags but you need to go through a pro shop that has an account. Beware that the bags take months to come in so you have to order them well in advance.

5)Titleist has a program for HS teams for golf balls and bags. Like with Ping, you must go through a pro shop with an account.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dgarland said:

I wouldn't weigh tournaments more heavily. It could either really help the kids who play in tournaments or really hurt them if they have a bad round and you're counting it twice. If it were me, this is what I would do:

Keep a season long scoring average for all rounds (qualifiers and tournaments) and throw out the highest and lowest score. Use that to determine your top 3 or 4 players for each event. For the fourth and/or fifth spot... you can either make it a weekly "coach's choice" or have a few qualifiers between events to determine it. This will ensure your best players are playing (even if they have a bad round or two mixed in) and everyone else still has a chance to compete for a starting spot each week.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another quick question for the group.  Are you in favor of a compiled average for qualifying of a certain number of rounds or a one round qualifier for each tournament?

Titleist TS2 Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5-6

Srixon Z785 7-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58

2 hours ago, dgarland said:

Another quick question for the group.  Are you in favor of a compiled average for qualifying of a certain number of rounds or a one round qualifier for each tournament?

I hate season points but understand that tours do this to get you to play more. Single qualifiers are much more pressure packed and identify who is hot. Season points are just “pay to play” for the average player. 

• Thanks 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I like to set my 5 boys and 3 girls by the end of pre-season. They will see the lions share of the competition in-season but I will try to get the others some experience. Unless someone drops off the map performance wise or one of the JV finds something new, my varsity teams are good to go. I create pressure challenges once a week, so there is a chance for some movement but it's rare.

We are capped at 14 total matches/tournaments during the season, so there is not much time to have pre-tournament qualifiers.  I do keep season stats, but that for things. 

• Thanks 1

@dgarland are you responsible for driving the mini-bus to matches? If so, incentivize good play with the low score on the team picking the music station for the ride back to school. My HS coach enjoyed classical music, so if we lost (which was pretty much never since we had two future PGA tour players on the team) we listened to classical music on the way home.

Funny the way the world works, the one or two times I was the low score I picked one of the country stations (lots of options in the south)... but fast forward 20 years and I might actually make Coach proud and pick his favorite. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dgarland said:

Both. Compiled average selects the top 3/4, weekly qualifiers for the other 1/2 spots. HS golf is a team sport so treat it like one. Does a football coach bench his star QB because he threw one or two interceptions in practice? Does a basketball coach bench his best power forward because he only hit 60% of his free throws in a mid-week scrimmage? 

Lets say your best player hits a borderline drive on one hole that takes a terrible bounce and goes OB. That bounce could cause your best player to not be in the starting rotation for a match that week because you did a separate, single qualifying round for each event. I would hope that is a situation you would want to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1