2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Grayson Murray Tweets Lack of Help from PGA

jt2gt

4 hours ago, ray9898 said:

No kidding....walk away and get a normal job like everyone else and see how great that is you entitled brat.

This. 99.9 percent of people dream of the PGA tour life. You get travel, work only 7-8 hours per day, lots of time off, great money. Let's trade and see how you like that lifestyle. 

32 minutes ago, Joe Mannix said:

What a tool this guy sounds like...you made your own bed, figure things out yourself.  It was a CHOICE you made dummy!!!

If the guy is an alcoholic as it seems to me he’s eluding to, it’s a disease, not a choice. But yeah, he should seek help/treatment. Unfortunately for most alcoholics, it’s not always that simple. Kinda seems to me like the tweet could be a cry for help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

If the guy is an alcoholic as it seems to me he’s eluding to, it’s a disease, not a choice. But yeah, he should seek help/treatment. Unfortunately for most alcoholics, it’s not always that simple. Kinda seems to me like the tweet could be a cry for help. 

“it’s a disease, not a choice” —- the two are not mutually exclusive.

most alcoholics will admit that their free will/choice definitely participates in the “disease”...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, straightshot7 said:

“it’s a disease, not a choice” —- the two are not mutually exclusive.

most alcoholics will admit that their free will/choice definitely participates in the “disease”...

Hmmm ok. I’m not sure what you’re credentials are. But the American Society of Addiction Medicine which is comprised of physicians, clinicians and associated professionals in the field of addiction medicine says this. If, as they say, addiction is a disease just like asthma, diabetes and heart disease. Hard to say any of those are a choice. But whatever. I just hope the guy gets the help he needs either way. 

A261984E-8774-45D3-9A38-287EDAFB9CCF.jpeg

Hope he get the help he needs.

I went to ASU and one of my teammates was an all american middle distance runner with a huge drinking problem. He was riding to our conference meet and asked the AD to pullover at the Liquor store, the AD thought he was joking but he wasn't.  I have not known my university to take athlete drinking as a serious problem.

The PGA needs to get a system in place. Didn't Rocco admit he played drunk a lot in the past and bowed out a few times with the shakes on course when he was trying to be dry ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, randywildman said:

I went to ASU and one of my teammates was an all american middle distance runner with a huge drinking problem. He was riding to our conference meet and asked the AD to pullover at the Liquor store, the AD thought he was joking but he wasn't.  I have not known my university to take athlete drinking as a serious problem.

The PGA needs to get a system in place. Didn't Rocco admit he played drunk a lot in the past and bowed out a few times with the shakes on course when he was trying to be dry ?

Drinking at ASU is actually an official sport. 

5 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

How a PGA Tour pro should address an alcohol problem:

Chris Kirk - Yes

Grayson Murray - Nooooooo

Tom Watson helped David Feherty.  Hope there is someone on Tour who can reach out to Grayson.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

19 hours ago, jt2gt said:

Interesting tweets from Grayson on lack of help from PGA tour on his alcohol and tour life issue.

A cris de cœur can come in many forms. Let's not judge him too harshly. 🤨

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

11 hours ago, randywildman said:

I never truly understood alcoholism until my first job after school. I mean I had see crazy drinking but it’s hard to see it as alcoholism because everyone is drunk all the time including myself!

But in this new job a few of us went to get lunch at this place that was like 10 blocks from the office and we saw this new girl who had joined the company sitting at the bar and she was wrecked. It was embarrassing. We left, weren’t sure how to act.

Then a few days later I see her in the office at like 10am and she reeks of vodka and mouthwash. I was like man. 

She was gone in a few months. I don’t know if I could have helped but certainly could have tried at least.

3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I never truly understood alcoholism until my first job after school. I mean I had see crazy drinking but it’s hard to see it as alcoholism because everyone is drunk all the time including myself!

But in this new job a few of us went to get lunch at this place that was like 10 blocks from the office and we saw this new girl who had joined the company sitting at the bar and she was wrecked. It was embarrassing. We left, weren’t sure how to act.

Then a few days later I see her in the office at like 10am and she reeks of vodka and mouthwash. I was like man. 

She was gone in a few months. I don’t know if I could have helped but certainly could have tried at least.

I worked with a guy with a big problem. We tried to get help for him, but he didn't want it. Drank himself to death at 37.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I worked with a guy with a big problem. We tried to get help for him, but he didn't want it. Drank himself to death at 37.

Man. You reminded me, I had met a guy via business in my 30s, this guy look like George Cloony, I mean, he’d just walk through any “velvet rope” and high five the bouncers and then be like all these chicks want to meet him. Was great but give me a complex! Lol

But, you’d see him take down big drinks in like 4 swigs and knew there was a problem. Lost touch with him but heard he died in his 40s

You just don’t know what people are dealing with. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Yeah. I think a lot of us experienced crazy alcohol related stuff in our early years. Binge drinking, blacking out, crazy hangovers etc. But this kind of alcoholism is a whole different ball game. My sister worked at a commercial real estate firm in SF. There was a guy she said had bottles in his desk and always smelled like alcohol and mouth wash like you said. The morning coffee cup was filled with vodka…  Ended up passing from it in his 40s. Very sad.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I have as much experience with this As anyone I can name. From the point of view of being raised with it , and or having family members in it and seeing daily.    I’ve never had an issue not drinking.  I enjoy certain flavors. But being drunk has never appealed to me.  Plus it takes such a large amount that who has the time or $ to make it a habit.  

That being said. I stay on the fence with my opinion ( read for all you haters. OPINION! Not stating as universal fact ). 

on one hand. I tend to defer to someone who has suffered as a credible source.  But I also have my own first hand sights sounds and feelings that are formed from what I’ve seen. 

I have a brother who drank like a fish due to depression ( his words ) for 4/5 years. Gained a ton of weight due to the sugar In alcohol, and  one day he told me “ I’m done “ and he laid  it down.  Lost a ton of weight and I’ve  never seen him drunk again.  He drank Evan Williams.  Not beer.  He wanted to get loaded ASAP.  Every afternoon.  

I have another brother who seems to fit the “ I can’t help it it’s a disease “ narrative. He’s always been the weakest mind in the family.  Coincidence?  I do not know.   He’s a heroine addict at this moment.  Was pot first. Then crack.  Then meth now heroine.  No designs on stopping.   They were raised by my dope head father.  Crack is his choice of drug ( I know. Old school. Right ?!). But he’s also always been known as a guy who could drink the juice of one rotten apple and he’d be blitzed.  An incredible light weight drinker.   And a mad angry destructive drunk. Never once a happy drunk.  I was not raised at all by this guy.  I got out early ( age 3) and lived with my grandparents next door .

So it’s always puzzled me how much is nature. How much is nurture?  As I said.  I’m on the middle of that fence.  I don’t truly believe in a blanket diagnosis either way that fits all people who drink to excess.   But that doesn’t mean a predisposition doesn’t exist.  Again. On the fence. 

this Lad on the Twitter.  He comes off very much to me like my youngest brother.  The one on heroine.  It’s always everyone else’s fault.  I mean we’re all out to get him etc.  which is a very dangerous and destructive attitude.  That doesn’t mean the tour can’t or shouldn’t do more with its $.  But I firmly believe that for anyone to get better they have to first own the responsibility, disease or not . Stop pointing fingers.  Make a choice to change and then ask for help in making that choice work. 

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. I had a friend in HS that I was reminded of by your story. In HS he drank, smoked some pot. No different from a lot of HS kids. After HS he got into pills and crystal meth. Became clear he was no longer just like everyone else. It eventually came to heroin and he died before he hit 30. Why do some go this route and most other do not. Some can just decide to stop one day and they do, others don’t stop until they die… I’ve been around it, but I’m far from a doctor or expert. So I defer to the experts on the subject. 

*I will add that I found out later that my friends parents were also both addicts. His dad was a long time meth user and his mom was addicted to pain killers. We had no clue. At the time to us seemed like your typical suburban family. You look back and it’s like, oh yeah, that explains his dad out in the garage working at 3/4am… At the time just assumed he was a night owl. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know multiple people in the hospitality industry who are recovering alcoholics.  Talk about a job that offers temptation. Some leave, some deal with it well, some fall off the wagon. None of them that I know of blamed their employers. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

20 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I have as much experience with this As anyone I can name. From the point of view of being raised with it , and or having family members in it and seeing daily.    I’ve never had an issue not drinking.  I enjoy certain flavors. But being drunk has never appealed to me.  Plus it takes such a large amount that who has the time or $ to make it a habit.  

That being said. I stay on the fence with my opinion ( read for all you haters. OPINION! Not stating as universal fact ). 

on one hand. I tend to defer to someone who has suffered as a credible source.  But I also have my own first hand sights sounds and feelings that are formed from what I’ve seen. 

I have a brother who drank like a fish due to depression ( his words ) for 4/5 years. Gained a ton of weight due to the sugar In alcohol, and  one day he told me “ I’m done “ and he laid  it down.  Lost a ton of weight and I’ve  never seen him drunk again.  He drank Evan Williams.  Not beer.  He wanted to get loaded ASAP.  Every afternoon.  

I have another brother who seems to fit the “ I can’t help it it’s a disease “ narrative. He’s always been the weakest mind in the family.  Coincidence?  I do not know.   He’s a heroine addict at this moment.  Was pot first. Then crack.  Then meth now heroine.  No designs on stopping.   They were raised by my dope head father.  Crack is his choice of drug ( I know. Old school. Right ?!). But he’s also always been known as a guy who could drink the juice of one rotten apple and he’d be blitzed.  An incredible light weight drinker.   And a mad angry destructive drunk. Never once a happy drunk.  I was not raised at all by this guy.  I got out early ( age 3) and lived with my grandparents next door .

So it’s always puzzled me how much is nature. How much is nurture?  As I said.  I’m on the middle of that fence.  I don’t truly believe in a blanket diagnosis either way that fits all people who drink to excess.   But that doesn’t mean a predisposition doesn’t exist.  Again. On the fence. 

this Lad on the Twitter.  He comes off very much to me like my youngest brother.  The one on heroine.  It’s always everyone else’s fault.  I mean we’re all out to get him etc.  which is a very dangerous and destructive attitude.  That doesn’t mean the tour can’t or shouldn’t do more with its $.  But I firmly believe that for anyone to get better they have to first own the responsibility, disease or not . Stop pointing fingers.  Make a choice to change and then ask for help in making that choice work. 

Wow, that’s some perspective and experience you have there.

I think that any drug, alcohol included is taken to not be/no longer be who you are at that moment you consume the drug. The extent to which you are trying to forget who you are can vary enormously. But you’re taking/drinking it for that reason alone. 

Or why would you take/drink it?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TiScape said:

Hmmm ok. I’m not sure what you’re credentials are. But the American Society of Addiction Medicine which is comprised of physicians, clinicians and associated professionals in the field of addiction medicine says this. If, as they say, addiction is a disease just like asthma, diabetes and heart disease. Hard to say any of those are a choice. But whatever. I just hope the guy gets the help he needs either way. 

A261984E-8774-45D3-9A38-287EDAFB9CCF.jpeg

Interesting debate. Is leukemia a choice?  Nope. Heart disease?  Depends but usually lifestyle contributes, but not always. I suppose some of us are more susceptible to certain diseases than others because of genetics. However I will always view addiction as a choice, a difficult one to conquer for many, but still a choice that can be overcome. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

16 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

This. 99.9 percent of people dream of the PGA tour life. You get travel, work only 7-8 hours per day, lots of time off, great money. Let's trade and see how you like that lifestyle. 

While I'm not sure I support his method, if you really think this describes a PGA Tour member's life, you may want to look a little closer.

These guys hit more balls than you or I would dream of, business travel is not the travel you claim, and the money.....  sure, looks nice, but take out taxes, agents, trainer, swing coach, that travel you said was so great, hotel/lodging.  There are a handful of guys for whom some of what you say may be true.

But the rest of the guys are worrying about keeping their card.  It's a job.  A great job if you are good at it, but it's a job at the end of the day.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. I had a friend in HS that I was reminded of by your story. In HS he drank, smoked some pot. No different from a lot of HS kids. After HS he got into pills and crystal meth. Became clear he was no longer just like everyone else. It eventually came to heroin and he died before he hit 30. Why do some go this route and most other do not. Some can just decide to stop one day and they do, others don’t stop until they die… I’ve been around it, but I’m far from a doctor or expert. So I defer to the experts on the subject. 

*I will add that I found out later that my friends parents were also both addicts. His dad was a long time meth user and his mom was addicted to pain killers. We had no clue. At the time to us seemed like your typical suburban family. You look back and it’s like, oh yeah, that explains his dad out in the garage working at 3/4am… At the time just assumed he was a night owl. 

It is what it is. I appreciate the words. But in all honesty if I could trade my experiences for that of a sheltered suburban childhood. I don’t think I would.  For the reason that It’s made me a person who questions all , trusts very little, and has reliance on myself as the mindset default.    Certainly is why I was drawn to this game.  started and still run my own business etc.   It’s hard , it’s all on me , and I don’t have to lean on or trust anyone else . But I digress. Lol. 

it’s a sad thing though.  One I don’t have an answer for.  The version I typed above is beyond edited , into a PG format for posting here.  

Living daily knowing that one day you’ll be called to carry your baby brother to his grave is not a pleasant thought .  But it’s reality. Most of us in the family grieved his passing years ago.  as in the boy I knew will never be again.  He’s been dead.  You can’t live it any other way in my opinion.  But the kicker lately is this. I’m one of the last left of the clean part of the family.  The old ones are now gone.  So it’s just me and my aunt. 

I say all that not  for sympathy for  me. Please don’t.  But for any addict who’s reading this. Know what it does to your family.  Know that you aren’t the worst hit of the victims.  Try being the person who watches the zombies path , wondering when they’ll over do it.  And not having any way to stop it from happening.   
Maybe that’s my bias from my perspective speaking ?  Probably so.  At any rate it’s the only perspective I have.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

27 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

However I will always view addiction as a choice, a difficult one to conquer for many, but still a choice that can be overcome. 

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion. I won’t say one way or the other because I’ve never been in those shoes. But to anyone that looks down at an addict and judges them and simply says “just stop and stop making excuses” while they shake their head… With all due respect that’s a pretty ignorant take and you truly don’t know do you.
*And I’m not saying that’s you dlygrisse. Just in general.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TiScape said:

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion. I won’t say one way or the other because I’ve never been in those shoes. But to anyone that looks down at an addict and judges them and simply says “just stop and stop making excuses” while they shake their head… With all due respect that’s a pretty ignorant take and you truly don’t know do you.
*And I’m not saying that’s you dlygrisse. Just in general.

Ok, last story!

There was this kid in college, bit of a goofball but great kid.

He comes back from summer and he says he was at a party and he snorted heroin.

We looked at him like, are you out of your %#!&@ mind?!

He said it was so incredible but he knew he should never do it again.

But he said that for 3 months, every moment of every day, all he could think of was heroin.

Like he’d go out and drink and smoke weed but he just kept thinking of heroin

Then finally after 3 months it started to stop.

And he did it one time and it was snorted not even injected.